IGNORED

Bates Family Part 8

Coconut Flan

I felt so horrible for Callie, since she's just a little kid and will naturally feel the separation very keenly, but surely Carlin and Tori are old enough to understand that there's a magical invention called the telephone, and an even more mystical device called Skype. The way they were carrying on about how Michael was OMG LEAVING just made it sound like they lost their capacity for object permanence. Callie gets a pass because she's a little kid, but Carlin and Tori are old enough to know that Michael isn't disappearing off the face of the earth.

I mean, maybe my opinion is colored by the fact that my parents' reaction to me going off to college was "have fun, don't get pregnant, we're going to make your room a guest room, bye", and their reaction to me moving overseas was "have fun, don't get pregnant, don't get kidnapped, bye". My sister's reaction to both things was "cool, now I can take whatever you leave behind".

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/7/2016 at 6:35 PM, snarkykitty said:

This page just brought up a bunch of splash pages - one wanted me to update flash, another to some different site, then another to a login page. More than 30 popup pages in all. WTF??

Anyone have a direct link?

I watched it four hours ago on my laptop, WIN 8.5, Chrome on [redacted] via [redacted]

It's recommended that AdblockPlus be installed on your browser if you use streaming sites. Also keeps ads away from FB.  :Zap:

Spoiler

10 hours ago, snarkykitty said:

This page just brought up a bunch of splash pages - one wanted me to update flash, another to some different site, then another to a login page. More than 30 popup pages in all. WTF??

Oh dear, that was certainly not my intent at all! This link works fine for me without splash pages or pop-ups. Maybe it has something to do with my adblocker? Anyway, so sorry that happened to you! 

Having now watched the wedding episode two things stood out to me.

Michael was clearly a young woman in love. And, since she and Brandon had been courting for so long, it seems apparent that she is actually in love with the man, rather than the fantasy of a wedding or becoming being a wife. Brandon seemed very happy, too, which gives me hope that their's is a true love match.

I was not a fan of the bridesmaids' dresses after seeing the pictures. However, somehow they looked prettier in person, especially when they were walking, as opposed to posing for the photos. I wouldn't, personally have chosen them, particularly the brownish coloured one, but I could actually sort of see why they chose them.

I am loving this comment on the Bates Family Instagram, in response to Kelly saying that they did watch the Superbowl but of course not the halftime show:

m.a.r.y.n.2104: I didn't watch the half time show because it's just digesting and sinful 

15 hours ago, snarkykitty said:

No problems in Chrome with AdBlock enabeled :)

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I am loving this comment on the Bates Family Instagram, in response to Kelly saying that they did watch the Superbowl but of course not the halftime show:

m.a.r.y.n.2104: I didn't watch the half time show because it's just digesting and sinful 

Everyone knows Pepsi uses the half-time show to corrupt the minds of STRONG CHRISTIAN AMERICANS.  One moment you're watching Chris Martin....the next you've made Pepsi your idol.

But let them focus on the halftime show as sinful.  I'll stick to my good, clean, AMERICAN entertainment of looking at nice butts in tight pants football.

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

the next you've made Pepsi your idol.

whew! I still love my Coca-Cola- glad I wasn't corrupted by watching the half-time show!

Michael(la) just posted a pic of some Batesesese visiting in Chicago. Guess it was time for another Gothard Board Meeting, eh Gil?

7 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Michael(la) just posted a pic of some Batesesese visiting in Chicago. Guess it was time for another Gothard Board Meeting, eh Gil?

Isn't the date for amending the lawsuit to add more people coming up or already over? I wonder if more have come forward and this is something the BoD is discussing. It will be interesting to watch and see 1)if more people have been added and 2) if Gil is ever forced to make a statement about this. 

Gil and Kelly are top speakers for this year's IBLP conference. Ironically they will be talking about "walking in the light", like these two know a whole lot about that. It is more like "Walking in the shadows and keeping a big part of your life hidden". The best part of this whole thing is that they present it as a "Family Conference" with various organizations participating, but the organizations were created and are run by IBLP or people associated with IBLP

3 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Everyone knows Pepsi uses the half-time show to corrupt the minds of STRONG CHRISTIAN AMERICANS.  One moment you're watching Chris Martin....the next you've made Pepsi your idol.

But let them focus on the halftime show as sinful.  I'll stick to my good, clean, AMERICAN entertainment of looking at nice butts in tight pants football.

Well this half time show was very, very gay. So for these fundie types who knows what they would have thought.

Thanks to whoever posted the link to the wedding episode. I don't watch TV (at all, admittedly - I have Netflix and just buy a couple of series I am into on Amazon on a yearly basis when they come out) -  but I really wanted to watch this episode based on the discussion here. 

I thought the wedding was much less awkward than the Duggar ones I have seen (from YouTube videos). I think these two seem to genuinely love each other, and I hope that they find companionship and happiness in each other for the years to come. 

I also hope that, somehow, they will "see the light" and abandon the cult, but I realize this one is wishful thinking on my part more than anything. 

The only couples I can see coming close to ditching the cult are Whit&Zach and John&Alyssa. The latter more than the others. Whitney depends too much on the Bateses as her family of "integrity". 

13 minutes ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

Thanks to whoever posted the link to the wedding episode. I don't watch TV (at all, admittedly - I have Netflix and just buy a couple of series I am into on Amazon on a yearly basis when they come out) -  but I really wanted to watch this episode based on the discussion here. 

I thought the wedding was much less awkward than the Duggar ones I have seen (from YouTube videos). I think these two seem to genuinely love each other, and I hope that they find companionship and happiness in each other for the years to come. 

I also hope that, somehow, they will "see the light" and abandon the cult, but I realize this one is wishful thinking on my part more than anything. 

Honestly, just based on what I have seen of the two on the show, I think they probably enjoy the lifestyle they were raised in. Michael seems to have taken to the role of mother from a very young age and seems genuinely excited to have children and stay home with them and Brandon choose to go to a Bible College and work for IBLP. As long as they are happy in those roles, and they seem to be, good for them! 

45 minutes ago, tumblr said:

Honestly, just based on what I have seen of the two on the show, I think they probably enjoy the lifestyle they were raised in. Michael seems to have taken to the role of mother from a very young age and seems genuinely excited to have children and stay home with them and Brandon choose to go to a Bible College and work for IBLP. As long as they are happy in those roles, and they seem to be, good for them! 

I see your point, but are they happy because that's all they know/they don't know any better, vs. they have considered a wide array of choices, including non-parent/non-Gothard approved ones, and decided that this is what they want to do?

I am happy for them if they are happy with what they do, but part of me thinks it's such a pity that these folks have practically NO/very limited exposure to anything else (not just M and B, fundies in general). I think Brandon might have had more exposure to what's out there, at least there must have been some kind of alternative choice because I seem to recall that some of his sisters have gone down the path of higher education, jobs away from the parental headship, etc. (still conservative Christian but a far cry from IBLP concepts of approved choices for women). 

I can't help but compare this to me growing up in an Italian family and finding Italian food the best in the world...until I was exposed to a variety of world cuisines. I still think Italian food is tasty and delicious, but it's not THE best in the world (IMO) and most definitely I wouldn't want it to be my only option.

I mean, I'm not gunna be TOO happy for them working at IBLP and having their livelihood depend on covering up assault and abuse within the organization, but what other choice do they have?

13 hours ago, HereticHick said:

SOTDRT at work:  "digesting"?

Or maybe she was referring to the Super Bowl snacks they were enjoying during the actual game...  

17 minutes ago, Snarkle said:

Or maybe she was referring to the Super Bowl snacks they were enjoying during the actual game...  

I'm thinking that was just schooloftheautocorrect ;-)

1 hour ago, Snarkle said:

That was someone's comment on their post, not a comment from Kelly.

14 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I'm with the commenter. I hate watching people digest things. Blech.

6 hours ago, tumblr said:

I'm fine with it until they have children. If they have children, and begin abusing those children as babies and eventually give the babies to sister/moms then no, no, and no. Obviously, none of that is happening now, so that's fine by me. In terms of staying in IBLP from most entrenched to most likely to get away from it I'd rate:

1) Michael & Brandon

2) Erin & Chad

3) Zach & Whit

4) Alyssa & John

so, it would be my conjecture that if she has a large quiver, sister/moms will be the norm. (obviously, I'm in the land of guessing the future now, but eh, snark sight)

23 hours ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

Pretty sure I saw Mr Jim the Duggar sound guy in one shot

You definitely did - the credits at the beginning had Jim the sound guy and the Duggar prouducers, the Enlows, credited as working on the show. 

That, and the editing companies are the same. BUB is literally just 19KAC on UP, but with some smart producers realising that they need to keep some elements of the Bateses lives quiet to avoid controversy. 

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 0:03 AM, Pretzel said:

How can anyone say Michael was emotionless? She tried so hard not to break into tears a few minutes before the ceremony and even told her mother that seeing Callie cry so badly breaks her heart. It also broke mine watching them. She was so gentle and comforting with Callie the entire time until she got into the getaway car. However, Michael did not leave her daughter. She moved out when she got married and her little sisters had to stay behind. It's a normal turn of life even for non-fundie families. Callie still has her mother, and it's up to Kelly to make sure that Callie does not feel a parental loss. 

You're absolutely right in that it's up to Kelly to make sure that Callie doesn't feel a parental loss, but I don't think she can do that at this point. Michael has been mom for too long. Sure, I hope Kelly steps in, and gives her daughter love, but it's a different relationship ... one that is supposed to be stronger than the bond Callie has with her sister, but in this case, that does not appear to be true.

also, I understand where everyone comes from when they point out the obvious in that Kelly is Callie's mom, but for me, mom is the one who does the "mom things" with and for you. Mom comforts you when you cry, she toilet trains you, she plays with you on the floor on your level, she loves you unconditionally and you feel it, she makes you feel safe, she calms you, her arms are a refuge and her lap is a haven. so these checked out "moms" with fucking buddy systems, yeah they can churn out children, but they are not nurturing or mothering. you can be a bio mom, and not have any kids (imo). I think that the person who you run to when you cry, who you sleep with when you're scared, and who you know has your back - absolutely no matter what - is your mom. I totally understand that many people may harshly disagree with me on that, but for me, that's one of my truths. (oh, therapy talk).

and let me just be totally clear on this one: I FUCKING HATE BUDDY SYSTEMS. I HATE BUDDY SYSTEMS. I HATE BUDDY SYSTEMS. I would rather talk to moochelle about her literally fucking dim bulb than see, and know, how many of these mega-families are churning out children and handing them to another child to raise. it's an unwritten adoption. ABOLISH BUDDY SYSTEMS. they honestly make me sick. so once and for all: i fucking hate buddy systems.

PS - yes, I'm biased. i lost a child(/sibling) who slept in my bed from the time s/he was ~six months until ~1.5 years before i left. i cannot even begin to stand how many important, sentimental milestones i have missed in that precious life s/he leads. i definitely cannot stand to think of what s/he may have had to endure, but i know in the years i was there, s/he was not harmed. now? i can't even say how long it's been since I've seen and/or heard from him/her because it crushes me in a way that makes me feel like I'm suffocating; i can say that to this day, i cannot fall asleep unless i cry beforehand. and that suffocating and crying is strictly related to the minimal information i have said about my closest jennie/callie buddy ... there are others too. :'-(  . yeah, try explaining to a boyfriend that you cannot sleep unless you cry hysterically beforehand ... it goes over really well. (yes! i date now!)

pps - just in case it ever comes up, all of the info about me connected to this site is through a friend's email account. when i was found (semi-recently -- reason for my absence on this forum), i had to uproot and move [hell]. so, if anyone is ever trying to figure out who i am or if i tell the truth, my answers are please don't and yes i do.  I'm not a razing ruth [i know no one has said that], but this account is not established under my true identity. safety first!

I can see why buddy systems might be useful, but the way fundies abuse them is wrong and stupid. An older kid helping a younger sibling get dressed or whatever, fine, but practically raising them as your own, nope.

1 hour ago, colors_outside15 said:

You're absolutely right in that it's up to Kelly to make sure that Callie doesn't feel a parental loss, but I don't think she can do that at this point. Michael has been mom for too long. Sure, I hope Kelly steps in, and gives her daughter love, but it's a different relationship ... one that is supposed to be stronger than the bond Callie has with her sister, but in this case, that does not appear to be true.

I agree with this. Yes, Kelly might technically be the mother, but for Callie, Michael has been the one who has been there as a mother figure for her entire life so to her it most likely feels like she lost her mother. And after years of handing newborns over to someone else to mother and care for, I'm not sure Kelly will actually step in and try to form that close mother bond with Callie. There doesn't seem to be any indication that Kelly thinks there is anything wrong with the system she used to raise her children or that she needs to change how she interacts with her children. 

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived