IGNORED

Happy 14th Anniversary Melanie and Nathan Maxwell!

Dru

7 minutes ago, ljohnson2006 said:

Why would anyone want to marry into this shitshow?

I wonder the same thing. I think they weren't as nutty as they are now when Melanie & Nathan were married. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Justme said:

http://web.archive.org/web/20020326165523/http://titus2.com/

Here are their wedding pic's and info, courtesy of the wayback machine....

:content:

Thanks! Holy goodness the internet was different back then...

OH! The compliments they give themselves!! The weather was beautiful! The wedding party was all brothers and sisters! The balloon release! SO holy! :pb_lol:

I think Joe has the crazy eyes. He's always grasping poor Elissa. It reminds me of pictures of Joe Kennedy and Rosemary. He always had a steel grip on her in public and stared at her like he was daring her to try something. 

43 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I think Joe has the crazy eyes. He's always grasping poor Elissa. It reminds me of pictures of Joe Kennedy and Rosemary. He always had a steel grip on her in public and stared at her like he was daring her to try something. 

If I remember correctly the great FJ's that went to a Maxwell comforance said similar things about Joe

Maybe a few hours in the Prayer Closet OP as Joey is not close family?

Stevie - her hair is getting evan shorter? Something to think about ???

Wedding Day
Wedding morning dawned earlier than we anticipated. Nathan couldn't sleep so he got up, had his quiet time, and then changed his oil while Steve helped him with a tune up. 

I don't know why I lol'd so hard at this, but I did. I know this is the Maxwells, but what a thing to do on your wedding morning and then write about afterwards. It sounds so much like a euphemism that it took me a while to work out that they were actually talking about a car.

:pb_lol:

As Christopher, the best man, untied his ring, he instantly realized he didn't have the real ring. While all eyes were focused on Melanie coming down the isle, he left his spot in the line up, and came to our seats for his bag that had the ring in it. Until the ring came out of his bag, Steve and I couldn't imagine what he was doing!

So is this, like, a fundie wedding tradition? Throw the bouquet, cut the cake, hi-LARIOUS awkward moment when the best man has to run and get the wedding ring?

ETA: Also, @unforgiving I see your oil change and I raise you yogurt:

Nathan carried his bride down the outside stairs to Grandad and his car that was taking them to the reception. They drove around just a bit while Melanie ate some yogurt, although my family is convinced there might have been a few more kisses as well.

These people are weird.

5 hours ago, ljohnson2006 said:

Why would anyone want to marry into this shitshow?

For the burritos and the raucous caroling parties, I think.

Also, how crazy is it that Steve gave out Melanie's maiden name? Now they would be the M family, with Mrs. M helping out and two of the M kids singing at the wedding. 

22 hours ago, Myfanwy said:

It is all that growing up around cameras. It his superiority that you can see shining through!!!

I get the feeling Nathan is less smug than the other MaxBoys.  Joseph is smug enough for everyone.

33 minutes ago, salex said:

Wait.. do I see a collarbone in that dress?

text-blessing-375.jpg

You do, indeed, see a collarbone!  And  an elbow, too.  Those sleeves are pretty short for a fundie wedding gown.

ETA: Nathan was in white tie?  That's pretty fancy for a wedding!

Melanie was a beautiful bride.  I've got to say, of all the Maxwells, Nathan and Melanie are my favorites... or at least, I think they would be the most tolerable to have as neighbors.

53 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

You do, indeed, see a collarbone!  And  an elbow, too.  Those sleeves are pretty short for a fundie wedding gown.

ETA: Nathan was in white tie?  That's pretty fancy for a wedding!

White tie AND tails! I can't blame him for it; it's the only day he's been permitted anything extra in his life.

I'm disappointed not to see any wide leg stances. Still sporting the stiff leg for Jesus.

12 hours ago, Justme said:

http://web.archive.org/web/20020326165523/http://titus2.com/

Here are their wedding pic's and info, courtesy of the wayback machine....

:content:

Wow. I had never seen these before. Thanks for posting the link!

One passage from the backstory of their engagement stood out to me:

When Nathan began praying about buying the house across the street from us last fall, the Lord started impressing on his heart that it was time to marry. This was not exactly what Nathan thought was going to be a result of his praying about a house purchase! 

Nathan knew if the Lord was telling him "Now" for marriage, He would also tell him "Who." He began praying, and told Steve and I what was on his heart so we could pray as well. The Lord put the same young woman on all of our hearts - Melanie.

Nathan asked Melanie's dad out for lunch right after New Year's of this year, and there requested permission to court Melanie. After talking it over as a family, they felt a "getting to know you" phase, where we spent time together as families, would be good before committing to courtship since the families knew each other from church but not very well.

After a six-week phase of "getting to know you," Melanie and her dad were ready to move the relationship to courtship. Then with five months of courting, it was time again for the relationship to take the next step.

a) Steve and Teri had God tell them whom Nathan should marry?!?

b) Nathan and Melanie pretty much only knew each other for half a year before getting married?!?

Nathan and Christopher still had the crazy eyes but their hair made it not stand out as much.  I also couldn't help but notice how fresh faced and hopeful Sarah looks in those photos too.

4 hours ago, Paperplate said:

Wow. I had never seen these before. Thanks for posting the link!

One passage from the backstory of their engagement stood out to me:

a) Steve and Teri had God tell them whom Nathan should marry?!?

B) Nathan and Melanie pretty much only knew each other for half a year before getting married?!?

Meh, my grandparents only knew each other for like two months before they got married and religion had nothing to do with it.

1 hour ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Nathan and Christopher still had the crazy eyes but their hair made it not stand out as much.  I also couldn't help but notice how fresh faced and hopeful Sarah looks in those photos too.

Except for the two where she's pictured alone with Melanie's sister Anna. They both look annoyed in one and Sarah is giving her the stink-face in the other.

Looking at these photos it's interesting to me to see Maxwell and Maher sister pairings (Anna Maxwell/Audry and Sarah/Anna Maher) and thinking about the wildly different trajectories their lives took. As nutty as Steve and Teri were back then they were positively mainstream compared to now, because there is no way they would be allowing one of their children to marry someone from a family like that.

The Maxwells could medal in weird. 

They did blessings rather than toasts. That sounds very sweet but also, any toasts I've heard at weddings have basically been wishing the couple good fortune. So same thing, different name I guess. 

My favorite Maxwellian minutia from the wedding report:

The Conference Center had a punch fountain that was used but necessitated a punch with no pulp in it.

11 hours ago, Paperplate said:

B) Nathan and Melanie pretty much only knew each other for half a year before getting married?!?

I've heard an older lady tell the story of after exchanging three letters with a young man, he decided to travel internationally (Australia to Europe (he had previously emigrated from a different part of Europe)) to meet her and he bought two return tickets.  They got married within a couple of weeks of meeting in person, I think.  She says they "met on the spiritual Internet, decades before there was an Internet" :D  Anyhow, it was a cute story, and an example that you don't necessarily need months of courtship.  (OTOH, marriages can fail dismally after long courtships, leading me to conclude that how and how long you court or date or whatever has less bearing on marriage success than other factors.)

I know we've had this discussion before, but whenever I read the wedding report I'm always so surprised how skimpy the amount of food at the reception.

I'm sure the wedding and reception took several hours and all they served was nuts and mints.

Some FJers said that was typical of some weddings in their neck of the woods.  I've never been to a wedding where there was less than a full meal.

It must be a regional thing.

Although now that I think of it I believe there was a full buffet at Christopher and Joseph's wedding, wasn't there?

Archived