IGNORED

Do they EVER cook from scratch? or garden?

samira_catlover

Just got a copy of 20Kids for fifty cents at a library sale.

OK, I can dig that until the big townhouse got built, the DuggarMob didn't have a lot of soil for gardening. Do they even have a garden now, with easy-to-grow stuff like lettuces, green beans, zucchini, carrots? (Just think: family togetherness, healthy exercise, saving money, eating healthily, AND some basic science stuff.)  What is WITH all those canned goods in the recipes? 

(Grew up in the US Midwest in the 60s and 70s, so casseroles--even with canned soup bases--don't typically scare me too much.) But with that big a crew to feed, shouldn't they be buying 50-lb. sacks of potatoes and onions, big bags (like restaurant size) of fresh carrots, and salad greens by the case? Not to mention Sam's Club sized sacks of rice, pasta, beans, industrial (#10) cans of tomatoes and pasta sauce and canned fruit, instead of 1-lb. household goods?

Especially if they've got an industrial-type kitchen (complete with high-speed dishwasher), plus a pretty "show" kitchen? I winced when reading the section about how the younger kids help with meals: you know, the assembly line where one kid wipes the can tops, another wields the opener, an older kid pulls off the sharp lid, a young kid drains the contents, etc.

Inquiring minds like mine want to know....

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the shows featured some of the howlers gardening. Might have been just for the cameras, though.

I've said this several times before, but that industrial kitchen might not be thoroughly usable.  The range, in particular, would not be without the correct modifications to their house.  Restaurant ranges are NOT for home use and using one at home would almost certainly void your fire insurance coverage.  I have cooked on a restaurant range before at the Catholic Center at UGA and those ranges are spectacular for real cooking for a crowd.  Pro-style ranges for the home (Vikings, Thermadors, Sub-Zero Wolf, Kitchen-Aid, GE Monogram) are wonderful, too, and don't require the mods to the house that a restaurant range does.  

Why would you buy appliances that you couldn't use? After discovering that, why wouldn't you put in appliances that you could use? I ask this of people who feed a baby peas out of a can while she is lying down. Duggar logic.

A few years ago, Michelle and JB planted some fruit trees. In the episode, they said they don't garden because they kill every plant they try to raise. 

Another season since then, they showed the howlers putting together a greenhouse cause one of them (I want to say James or Justin) took an interest in growing vegetables. It may or may not have been the same season when Jill and her buddy group used the Pinterest recipe for refrigerator pickles. 

20 cents?? That's a deal. But nope they're too damn lazy. Imagine them actually growing things. That requires work. They can't even use real dishware. 

I'm pretty sure I do more cooking for my family of 3 than they do for the million people constantly in and out of that house. 

One of our staple meals is to roast a chicken in the oven and have it with a big salad and some sort of veg (potatoes, sweet potatoes, peppers, red onions etc) it takes 10 minutes to prepare, it's economical, it's filling and tasty and easily multiplied. I've never seen the Duggars cook anything in it's natural form. Meat always seems to be processed, even their bbq's are just processed crap - they get these flaccid orange sausages out of a pack and cook those. What about treating those who want it to a bit of steak, or marinaded chicken, Jim Bob's got money for iphones and endless pizza takeaways, how about treating them to some hearty wholesome food? I can't help but think of my teenage son who loves his food. I couldn't imagine him thriving on Duggar crap.

And birthday cakes, I've started on that now! Packets of cake mix thrown in the trolley in multiple episodes - flour, eggs, sugar, butter - is it really that hard! I can remember when Grandpa Duggar was terminally ill and Jana was to make him his favourite banana cake- for 30 seconds I was impressed because I've only ever known banana cake to be made with fresh, over-ripe bananas, I thought that perhaps I hadn't given the Duggars enough credit, but no,it came out of a packet. I get that perhaps the packet version really was his favourite and Jana's intentions were good, but it seemed sad that his last birthday cake was made from crappy packet mix.

The Duggars are a false economy.

Aside from the plant a small garden and fruit trees planting TLC episodes, I've only seem them eat peas straight from the Aldi can.

7 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

Aside from the plant a small garden and fruit trees planting TLC episodes, I've only seem them eat peas straight from the Aldi can.

I've seen the older girls (especially Jana) opt for salads while the rest of the family is eating shit. Lol

I bet their house reeks. The aromas of canned soup casseroles, pickle juice, dirty bare feet, hairspray, and child vomit all mixed together...

I would guess that breakfast, lunch and dinner are not being cooked regularly. It's likely that meals are being made or food put out for the youngest ones and the howlers on up forage for food themselves. 

Scratch cooking- No

Gardening- No

But homemaking is one of the few skills acceptable for women per Gothard.

They should be embarrassed- frauds.

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Why would you buy appliances that you couldn't use? After discovering that, why wouldn't you put in appliances that you could use? I ask this of people who feed a baby peas out of a can while she is lying down. Duggar logic.

Because they are Duggars!   DUH!  (LOL )   

And these people time share a brain.   When it's their week to have the brain JB rents it out for the cash.    

There have been at least two different vegetable gardens plus the fruit trees, however I would bet dollars to doughnuts that if you checked right now (or in the spring)  they would not have anything edible growing.

The first garden I remember was planted for them and it was in a greenhouse.  I was quite jealous because it looked very lush.  However we theorized here on FJer that it was only a story line dreamt up by TLC and allowed to go to seed while the family toured around on their bus.

The second garden was only a couple of years ago.  It was again featured on the show.  The boys planted full sized plants on mounded dirt (sensible for irrigation/drainage purposes.)  I haven't seen any pictures lately so who knows?

By the way the fruit trees were probably just an ill-thought out pipe dream of JB's.  He probably had grandiose ideas of peaches and pears just falling into his lap.  Most amateur gardeners have no idea how much work goes in to raising fruit crops.  Trees must be watered regularly, fertilized, sprayed, and pruned and even then you may only end up with a few tiny apricots or wizened apples.  Plus the fruit that drops will attract wasps.  I finally uprooted my 10 year old nectarine tree because I was tired of all the yearly disappointments-- frozen flower buds from unseasonable weather, withered fruit from drought,  and half eaten fruit discarded by the squirrels.  My neighbor across the street does get annual plums, peaches, and apples but they are never as big and juicy as store-bought and he has to deal with passing teenagers who feel free to trespass and steal fruit all summer.

One thing that I would recommend is asparagus. It takes a few years to get going but then you will be rewarded with a lifetime of all-you-can-eat asparagus in spring. It takes very little maintenance other than weeding and mulching. Lettuce is another nearly carefree crop but it does need to be regularly re-seeded and here in the South we grow it in late fall and early spring before the heat sets in.  I grow mine in raised beds along with peas, onions, garlic, and chard.  In the summer I rotate to tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, peppers and summer squash.

11 minutes ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

I bet their house reeks. The aromas of canned soup casseroles, pickle juice, dirty bare feet, hairspray, and child vomit all mixed together...

You have a gift for words...I taste vomit and can smell everything you spoke of! :tw_grimace:...:my_biggrin:

4 hours ago, Mary C Doates said:

I think one of the shows featured some of the howlers gardening. Might have been just for the cameras, though.

1 hour ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

Another season since then, they showed the howlers putting together a greenhouse cause one of them (I want to say James or Justin) took an interest in growing vegetables. 

I think you both may be remembering the same thing. I remember the boys putting up a greenhouse. I don't remember seeing any resultant vegetables, though. ;)

19 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

And these people time share a brain.   When it's their week to have the brain JB rents it out for the cash.

A+ would LOL again

I think I've cooked more meals from scratch for my fiancé and myself in a year, than the duggars have in their entire marriage.

i'm weird in that i've looked at their house on google earth, and while the image has been updated at least once in the last few years, i've never seen anything resembling a garden near their house.

Not everyone is great at gardening (I have no interest in it either), but the Duggars can easily afford fresh or frozen veggies. They have no excuse.

At this time of year, they could have a giant vat of veggie soup going every day. Add some legumes or other protein, and it's a complete meal. Throw some veggies and protein in a wok, it's a stir fry. Throw some lentils and spices into some broth and make some rice, they've got a dal. What it boils down to is the Duggars are just lazy in the kitchen, basically. :D

Guys, JB&M barely changed their babies' diapers. I don't expect them to grow their own veggies and cook from scratch. 

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived