IGNORED

Winter Storms 2016 Snowpocalypse et al

SpoonfulOSugar

14 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Sense and Sensibility was coming on TCM at 10.  I got to watch maybe 30 minutes before our cable went out!

I wish I had seen your post a little earlier.  I hit record, but missed the first 35 minutes. :(

I also wish we were not economizing.  I would buy a digital copy.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I went to bed around 6am we were at 15 inches and LOTS of blowing snow. Thankfully no outages yet, I've got chicken and dumplings (100% homemade!) on the stove and I plan on doing practically nothing until this passes.

1 hour ago, Eater of Worlds said:

AreteJo, no one ever makes borscht in this house.  That's blasphemy!  It's beet soup for winter, and cold beet soup for summer.

I'm joking, sort of.  I come from a heritage that has deep hatred for Russia and what Russia (well, the Soviets) did to them.  The words in that language are a fairly direct translation, so I have a hard time thinking of barsciai as borscht.

Another lover of errr...cold beet soup in the summer.:562479b1e2079_Whyhullothurwave: I detest the Soviet political system, but Russians and Eastern Europeans make some kick ass soups.

I got the meatballs out of the oven, browned some sausages and sautéed some garlic cloves, and dumped everything into a Dutch oven with a few cans of whole tomatoes, dried oregano and basil, wine.  That is going to simmer on the stove for 4-5 hours.  Soup is ready and I've already had two bowls.

New York City is closing all bridge and tunnel crossings as of 2:30 PM.  No one will be able to get in or out till after the snow stops falling.  I've got about 13 inches down now.

8 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Homemade hot chocolate:

Milk

Sugar

Cocoa powder

Mix on stove until hot

Place some mineature marshmallows in a mug

Pour hot chocolate in mug.

The exact amount of ingredients depends on taste.

Also good with additions. Lots of cocoa powder (to make it extra dark) + orange liqueur, or just a drop of almond extract, or a little vanilla extract, or some peppermint extract and stir with leftover candy cane from Christmas, or add a little rum and top with whipped cream.

Or, for double chocolatey goodness, add hot milk-sugar-cocoa mixture to chocolate chips and whip with immersion blender.

I could go on and on.

(Forgot to mention, most of us are casein-sensitive, so our hot chocolate is made either with half 'n' half (the milk fat protects us somewhat from the protein) or full-fat coconut milk. Extra rich and yummy.)

10 minutes ago, refugee said:

Also good with additions. Lots of cocoa powder (to make it extra dark) + orange liqueur, or just a drop of almond extract, or a little vanilla extract, or some peppermint extract and stir with leftover candy cane from Christmas, or add a little rum and top with whipped cream.

Or, for double chocolatey goodness, add hot milk-sugar-cocoa mixture to chocolate chips and whip with immersion blender.

I could go on and on.

Loving these recipes.

Mr. Spoon found me some micro mini marshmallows.  :my_heart:

I almost always use vanilla extract.

And whipped cream.

I also have several options for chocolate tea (loves).

Does anyone use drinking chocolate?  I don't think I'm very good at preparing it.

ETA:  Here's a snow video everyone can enjoy.

3 hours ago, Walking Cat Bed said:

Well, SOMEONE has been begging to go outside. forever. So we let her out for about three entire minutes.

frozen_tessie_face.thumb.jpg.07d9466d8b6

My kitties want to go out but the snow is taller than they are. 

@SpoonfulOSugar,  if I can't find my DVD of S&S, I might have to buy another copy of the DVD.  It's my  on of my go-to DVDs when the cable goes out.  Jaws and Inglorious Basterds are two others.

I discovered an absolutely wonderful use for all of the peppermint candy canes left over after Christmas:  use them as swizzle sticks for your cocoa.  Delicious!  Plus, the Hershey candy canes are great.  I am sad that I can't get anymore now.

My firefighter cousin just let us know that the snow chains on his truck are broken and now he's stuck. In a fire truck.

We've had about 1/2 inch of snow. Lots of wind and ice, however. My shepherd/lab does not even notice the cold if there is a ball around.

8 minutes ago, purple_summer said:

My firefighter cousin just let us know that the snow chains on his truck are broken and now he's stuck. In a fire truck.

Dang. So much snowwww. According to official reports there's like 2 feet here.

It's actually snowing harder now than it has all day and the wind is picking up again. I'm running out of places to put the snow but the pup's gotta have a place to go! I'm wondering what we're going to wake up to tomorrow morning. Eek.

It's getting horrible here. The wind is picking up and it's snowing harder. But my kiddos love it. Along with my dogs.I on the other hand am super jealous of Florida, California  , and Arizona. 

18 hours ago, countressrascal said:

I did not make it out so I am going to spend the weekend in snowy NYC all flights are cancelled, I am looking forward to it. Hotel where I am staying is offering all kind of specials, here is the best I might get to go to see Hamilton tomorrow night because people are turning in their tickets because they can't get to the city so tomorrow morning I am going to stand in line for turn back tickets,  wish me luck.  Today I went out and brought hat, gloves, fleece lined running pants and snow boots I am prepared along with the clothing I got a flashlight, tea bags, hot chocolate, warm socks and snacks. It is an adventure for someone from AZ but lived in Min for 6 yrs so I look at this as a blast from the past. 

I love the caption that I had "green hair in color" yes I did because competitive swimmer with blonde hair. So true.

Were you able to get to the show?  I heard NYC is on lock-down!

If anyone is reading here and able to help, a local no-kill shelter has lost water, power, and their blower and they're looking for donations to help keep the animals alive. They take all kinds of animals including farm animals and they're a great local organization. 

1 hour ago, purple_summer said:

If anyone is reading here and able to help, a local no-kill shelter has lost water, power, and their blower and they're looking for donations to help keep the animals alive. They take all kinds of animals including farm animals and they're a great local organization. 

I sure do hope that they get help for the shelter.

One of my neighbors was/is fostering a dog before he goes to his forever home in Vermont.  I told her that the little bit of snow we had was just getting him used to the snow.  He didn't know what to make of it at first then started romping in it.  He was supposed to fly out this morning, but I don't know if he did.

On January 22, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Four is Enough said:

Baltimore here. Schools are closed, and even mcDonald's is closing early. Not a flake yet. I've stopped watching the weather report.

portland started doing that then the weather never happened. so now others are doing it too.

@AreteJo I want to be trapped with you next time. Nobody here would eat beet soup! My Baba was Russian, her mother came to the US at fifteen by boat fleeing the civil war, and met her husband on the boat. From what I understand her village was called Five White Stones and may of been in what is now the Ukraine. I'm going to have to make a small scale version. All the recipes I see are enormous.

I've gotten so bored that I've tried to set my alcohol on fire, and failed.

Someone help.

11 minutes ago, ShepherdontheRock said:

I've gotten so bored that I've tried to set my alcohol on fire, and failed.

Someone help.

In high school my brothers' friend found a can of hair spray or something and a lighter. He made a flamethrower.

Disclaimer: I don't recommend trying this

2 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

In high school my brothers' friend found a can of hair spray or something and a lighter. He made a flamethrower.

Disclaimer: I don't recommend trying this

Nah. I'll just burn incense and candles.

39 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

@AreteJo I want to be trapped with you next time. Nobody here would eat beet soup! My Baba was Russian, her mother came to the US at fifteen by boat fleeing the civil war, and met her husband on the boat. From what I understand her village was called Five White Stones and may of been in what is now the Ukraine. I'm going to have to make a small scale version. All the recipes I see are enormous.

My grandparents met in a DP camp in Germany, where my mother was born.  My grandmother's wedding gift was a pair of combat boots, because she needed shoes.  http://www.dpcamps.org/lithuania.html

@Grimalkin, borscht freezes well.  You can ladle it into small Ziploc bags for individual servings.  Get out as much air as you can before sealing and freeze the bags flat on their sides, so they take up minimal room in the freezer.0

Eighteen inches here and still coming down.  Supposedly  the snow will wind down around. 11:00 PM.  I had a bowl of spaghetti, meatballs, and sausages.  I did my nails.  Overall, a very mellow Saturday.  Tomorrow back to reality.  I have to liberate the car and clear a path out front.

Archived