IGNORED

Winter Storms 2016 Snowpocalypse et al

SpoonfulOSugar

Well, in case anyone has missed it, a potentially record-setting storm is bearing down on the US Eastern Seaboard.  Schools are closed, flights are cancelled, the DC metro will close . . . .

I thought it'd be nice to have a thread where those in the path of the storm could check in, people could talk snow storm survival strategies, we could share stories of snow storms past. . . 

This storm is predicted to miss me entirely, for which I am glad.  I'm making a hearty beef stew in solidarity with those under warnings, though.

How's things, FJ Snow Bunnies?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on the west coast(ish) so not in its path, but as a weather geek and a snow-lover, I'm paying attention.

I've been peeking at Washington DC webcams here and there just to see if it's started yet.

I also will be interested if this storm prompts any further chat on the Emergency Preparedness thread.

Stay warm and safe and stay off the roads, FJ easties!

I'm on Long Island and the forecast seems to change by the minute so who the hell knows? Unfortunately, my sister, my daughter and I have tickets for the Picasso sculpture exhibit at MoMA tomorrow so we'll have to play it by ear. We always take the train into Manhattan but the LIRR and MetroNorth aren't terribly reliable in snow. I don't really think we'll be hard hit on LI (I'm sure we'll lose power since it seems all you have to do is sneeze and the power goes out) but peeps further south could get it baaaad. Stay warm, stay safe!

38 minutes ago, Alicja said:

if y'all could give Detroit some snow, that'd be great

Just light on passing over Chicago until I get home for the weekend...thanks.

Here in north Alabama, we could get up to 3 inches of snow. While that may not seem like a lot, it is for us. Roads close and so do businesses. Oh, and car accidents.

So, I'm just going to stay in and make homemade hot chocolate and keep warm.

1 hour ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Well, in case anyone has missed it, a potentially record-setting storm is bearing down on the US Eastern Seaboard.  Schools are closed, flights are cancelled, the DC metro will close . . . .

I thought it'd be nice to have a thread where those in the path of the storm could check in, people could talk snow storm survival strategies, we could share stories of snow storms past. . . 

This storm is predicted to miss me entirely, for which I am glad.  I'm making a hearty beef stew in solidarity with those under warnings, though.

How's things, FJ Snow Bunnies?

I love this!

Your background in teaching shows when you're so organized and think ahead about everyone checking in and knowing the plan.  You've done it before, can't recall when, but it made me smile then, too.  It's one of those inherent qualities really good teachers have.

53 minutes ago, Alicja said:

if y'all could give Detroit some snow, that'd be great

I don't think you are the only northerner with that sentiment.  While some elements of a mild winter are just fine and dandy, when a region depends on winter tourism, mild brings a whole new set of challenges.

50 minutes ago, sparkles said:

I'm on Long Island and the forecast seems to change by the minute so who the hell knows? Unfortunately, my sister, my daughter and I have tickets for the Picasso sculpture exhibit at MoMA tomorrow so we'll have to play it by ear. We always take the train into Manhattan but the LIRR and MetroNorth aren't terribly reliable in snow. I don't really think we'll be hard hit on LI (I'm sure we'll lose power since it seems all you have to do is sneeze and the power goes out) but peeps further south could get it baaaad. Stay warm, stay safe!

I hope you'll be able to get to the exhibit. :(  We try to always have backup plans for winter activities, but I get frustrated sometimes when Mother Nature interferes.

8 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

Here in north Alabama, we could get up to 3 inches of snow. While that may not seem like a lot, it is for us. Roads close and so do businesses. Oh, and car accidents.

So, I'm just going to stay in and make homemade hot chocolate and keep warm.

I tease about snow in southern climes, but I do understand it's a different set of problems.  Do stay safe.

What's your hot chocolate recipe?  Any add-ins?

5 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I love this!

Your background in teaching shows when you're so organized and think ahead about everyone checking in and knowing the plan.  You've done it before, can't recall when, but it made me smile then, too.  It's one of those inherent qualities really good teachers have.

That damn onion I cut for the stew.  Keeps making my eyes well up.

14 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

What's your hot chocolate recipe?  Any add-ins?

not Rosy, but -- a dash of cayenne over here!

Baltimore here. Schools are closed, and even mcDonald's is closing early. Not a flake yet. I've stopped watching the weather report.

Mid-Atlantic coastline here...no snow yet, but we're dead center in the 8 to 20 inch predictions! I am so ready...got my quilting and crocheting projects all lined up for a snowy weekend! :)

Here in Nashville we have about 4 inches of snow already! Could get up to about 8 inches, which is an unheard of amount around here. Needless to say, the city is completely shut down. Working from home, I walked to the edge of my neighborhood a few minutes ago where I can see down a ridge to Interstate 40, and traffic is at a complete standstill in both directions. It's like a snowy scene from the Walking Dead or something. It takes a looooong time to get the roads cleaned up around here. 

Upstate SC here.  I woke up this morning to see the ground covered with snow. It's snowed a bit more this morning and we're supposed to get more snow later on today.  Just no freezing rain, please! I fucking hate freezing rain. My dachshund has not been outside yet and the Shih tzu will just have to use pee pads.  She does not need to walk on a slippery surface.  I did pick up some ice melt at Target yesterday.

We've got some ice in the NC Triangle. It's cold and everything is closed. 

Roommate and I are both "doing homework" (which is half being productive, half goofing off). The cats are weirded out by both humans in the house and doing computer things (and occasionally forcing snuggles upon them). 

We have enough blankets in the house for a SERIOUS fort on the couch if needed. 

Well, my dachshund did just go out to do her business.  I had taken Chloe to her pee pad and I could tell that the dachsie really needed to go out.  I put on my coat and asked her.  She went right under the eaves of the house and barely got any snow of her feet or her little dachsie cooch.  Dachshunds squat very low to the ground.

11 minutes ago, purple_summer said:

http://www.footsforecast.org/2016/01/a-storm-of-the-first-order.html 

This is starting to get scary. We have a plan but this could be beyond anything this area has dealt with in recent memory.....

Remember that this is a self-limiting event.  The sun will come out and things will melt.  The cities have some challenges, but you personally are extremely well-prepared and you can work with family/neighbors and get through this.

Positive thoughts . . . positive actions.  

expecting 18 inches here...we'll be fine, we survived 31 inches in '96! i don't plan on going anywhere until the roads are cleared

Southeastern VA here, very near the coast. As usual, we'll miss the worst of this unless things unexpectedly shift just a little bit. Normally I like a good snowstorm, but considering what other areas are expecting (2-3 FEET in D.C.? That's nuts!), I think the inch or two we're getting today is quite enough. It's changing to rain tonight, then back to snow again late tomorrow, but still not a lot compared to everyone else.

Hope all our FJ'ers facing the full brunt of this storm are well-stocked, warm, and safe!:my_smile:

While I complain about the heat a lot, and spend all of fall wishing I lived somewhere that has seasons, stuff like this makes me happy I live in Florida.

Here in Iowa it's supposed to be partly cloudy this weekend with highs around 30. After a couple weeks with highs around 0 before the windchill I'll take that.

Highs. Not hugs. G&$@/!m autocorrect.

Living about 40 miles south of the DC Beltway, and we've battened down the hatches, even though the country is not likely to be as badly clobbered as within the Beltway. (Hope it's nothing like Snowmageddon 2010: THAT was severely ugly.)

Fast winter survival tips (from an ex-Midwesterner), for anyone who cares: 

• Stay off the roads as much as possible. If you MUST drive, allow double to triple the usual stopping distance.  Accelerate gently; brake softly and well before you must, and don't be in a hurry to do anything.
  • If you MUST drive: emergency kit. Cat litter/antiskid grills, cell phone with full charge, shovel. Take an emergency blanket---wool is warm, Mylar space blankets trap heat well, but face it, a couple of big solid plastic garbage bags, used as a lower-body-sack and/or poncho, will save your heat.
  • Close off unused rooms. Make microenvironments---if your power goes off, a small tent (domes are NICE) with a sleeping bag or blankets inside can keep you incredibly warm.
  • If you lose power---flashlights are your best buddies. Candles need a fair amount of watching (although we HAVE put tealights in a deep, heavy holder and used that for a bathroom nightlight).
  • Layer on clothing, especially if you lose power. We had a heat pump out for over a month, and before it was replaced, I found cotton scrub pants under sweat pants, and a thin longsleeved T-shirt under a regular one, would actually have me sweating.
  • DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, USE A BARBECUE GRILL OR HIBACHI INSIDE THE HOUSE FOR HEATING OR COOKING. AN OPEN WINDOW IS NOT ADEQUATE VENTILATION. Carbon monoxide is a silent, sneaky killer. Sterno is OK in small doses, but it's not gonna kill you to eat cold food out of cans.
  • Drink plenty of water.

Hope everyone (even those darned antichoicers at the rally) stays safe. 

DC area, not feeling especially well, am in no mood for this.  Have food and bottled water.  Charging a spare power stick I just bought this morning (if needed for my cell phone).

Starting to see snow flurries.

I'll be roaming around FJ this weekend...seeking entertainment and solace...as long as the power stays on.

Atlanta here, just rain so far but lots of it. It's supposed to snow tonight. I thought moving here from CA that I would not get low temps. I thought I would sit around drinking mint juleps. My fantasies are smashed to bits. Next, I'll learn that the Bates aren't nice people.

Archived