IGNORED

FJ Needlenose (Greyhound) Thread

Palimpsest

2 minutes ago, SledCat said:

My current grey, who is young, loves to play rough with his favorite people. He body slams, and gives little nips when he is feeling extra energetic. :D 

My Sammy is going to be 7 next month. He still acts like a puppy. He is a body slammer too. He'll come running up behind me an ram his head into my backside. I've learned to not carry too much (like a fully loaded clothes basket) so I have at least a hand free to brace myself.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

My Sammy is going to be 7 next month. He still acts like a puppy. He is a body slammer too. He'll come running up behind me an ram his head into my backside. I've learned to not carry too much (like a fully loaded clothes basket) so I have at least a hand free to brace myself.

I love it, GreyhoundFan. :D I have learned to hug the side of the wall, when I am going upstairs with the laundry basket. :D 

@SledCat and @GreyhoundFan - The big difference between Little Guy the Galgo playing rough and the greys goosing me in the rear is that I've been body slammed at shoulder height by a flying Galgo.  The greys tend to aim lower and are much less ...  air-borne.  The Galgo also has much more stamina.  That's why I learned he taught me to dodge. :)

I haven't announced this anywhere, but we have a new addition to our home:  Hudson Hound is a service dog for Mr. Spoon, but his first love is tracking.  He's a bloodhound/great dane mix - so not as sleek as your hounds, but boy! I have already met the body slam.

He's 15 months old.

5_18_HH_King.JPG

And perfectly well behaved . . . . 

5_18_HH_Ham.JPG

@SpoonfulOSugarHudson Hound is really beautiful!  You cruel woman for taking a picture instead of rubbing that tummy!

Is he still in training - SDIT - and how is he doing?

32 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

@SledCat and @GreyhoundFan - The big difference between Little Guy the Galgo playing rough and the greys goosing me in the rear is that I've been body slammed at shoulder height by a flying Galgo.  The greys tend to aim lower and are much less ...  air-borne.  The Galgo also has much more stamina.  That's why I learned he taught me to dodge. :)

One word: YIKES!!

I know Galgos are big on jumping. I remember seeing a picture posted by the founder of SAGE, showing one of her Galgos clearing a huge fence, I can't remember if it was a 6 or 7 footer. You are right that Sammy aims lower, thankfully!

@SpoonfulOSugar -- Hudson Hound is precious! Congratulations on the addition.

Aww, thanks guys, we think he's pretty special.  (He's been with us for about a month now.)  He was a rescue and went to/came from a program that the coordinator really works to fit the dog to the family.

To clarify, I didn't take those pictures, so I cannot be blamed for failing to rub da belly. :P  That's my excuse.

(I seem to spend plenty of time rubbing belly though.)

@Palimpsest  He is full-fledged service, but training SAR.  He assists with mobility & balance and came from a trainer who put in a lot of time with him.  The only thing is, he has a special nose, so we are committed to continuing to work him in SAR where we can . . . so I keep getting lost.  *grin*  

16 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

He is full-fledged service, but training SAR.  He assists with mobility & balance and came from a trainer who put in a lot of time with him.  The only thing is, he has a special nose, so we are committed to continuing to work him in SAR where we can . . . so I keep getting lost.  *grin*  

He is a very special dog as well as a very beautiful dog.   Congratulations!  You are lucky to have him - and working him in SAR will be interesting for you too.

Silkens aren't AKC, no, so no lure coursing with them- but I could do open field and fun runs. 

Contemplating a staghound at the moment (longdog) - couldn't compete but could hunt with :P - friend of a friend has an interesting litter just born. :)

17 hours ago, Mango said:

Silkens aren't AKC, no, so no lure coursing with them- but I could do open field and fun runs. 

Contemplating a staghound at the moment (longdog) - couldn't compete but could hunt with :P - friend of a friend has an interesting litter just born. :)

Australian or American staghound?

I'm afraid I call all the greyhound crosses lurchers.  It's the British in me. :)

@Mango - I was confusing you with someone else in Australia.  Good luck with your decision!

I have a sad little Galgo here.  I'm trying to get him back into agility or rally-o to cheer him up but all the classes are full.   I think he'll be OK, but being an only dog is lonely for him. :(

1 minute ago, Palimpsest said:

I have a sad little Galgo here.  I'm trying to get him back into agility or rally-o to cheer him up but all the classes are full.   I think he'll be OK, but being an only dog is lonely for him. :(

Poor dog. :(  I have been feeling bad for him.  What an adjustment!

I know you mentioned play dates - we have a lovely doggie daycare - would that be a short-term option for him?

Also, I know a man who rescues hounds . . . . (bloodhounds, mostly, but he has a basset mix that Mister Spoon is in love with - we just can't do two dogs. :( )

19 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Poor dog. :(  I have been feeling bad for him.  What an adjustment!

I know you mentioned play dates - we have a lovely doggie daycare - would that be a short-term option for him?

Also, I know a man who rescues hounds . . . . (bloodhounds, mostly, but he has a basset mix that Mister Spoon is in love with - we just can't do two dogs. :( )

A Basset Hound?  Do you know Fred Basset?basset13may.jpg

Thanks for thinking of Little Guy.  We had a play date on Sunday.  There is a good doggy day care quite close - the same place we do our training.  I may book him in occasionally especially if I have to go out.  He is not at all happy if I have to go out.  I started to do some alone training with him so that may help.

I work from home and it would be really hard for me to put him in daycare and be dogless during the day!   He's getting a lot of exercise and extra attention.  He's just used to sharing beds with another dog and is a bit lost.  Poor little guy.  He's never been an only dog before.

We are "officially" a two dog family because 2 dogs fit more easily in the cars.   We can cope with 3, obviously, but the third dog always seems to sneak in through the back door.  Mr. P fails fostering faster than I do.

@Palimpsest I know it must be hard on LG. It sounds like you are doing everything you can for him.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2016 at 5:39 PM, Palimpsest said:

Oh goodness! A body slam at shoulder height is awful and hilarious! (not funny when you are going through it, I'm sure). So true that the greys just tend to get us at our center of gravity area. It's easier to take a sneaky blow. :D

• 1 month later...

Just a teaser: Little Guy chose his new sibling today.  All is going well, but we are a bit busy settling her in.

She is another needle nose but not a retired racer.  She is a small lurcher (greyhound cross).  She is also unbelievably adorable and can stand up to galgo play.   No photos yet, we are giving her time to settle in, but she is definitely home to stay. :)

13 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Just a teaser: Little Guy chose his new sibling today.  All is going well, but we are a bit busy settling her in.

She is another needle nose but not a retired racer.  She is a small lurcher (greyhound cross).  She is also unbelievably adorable and can stand up to galgo play.   No photos yet, we are giving her time to settle in, but she is definitely home to stay. :)

*Does a happy dance for the family*

Yay!  So great!  So excited!

Hound here says he approves:

HH_Laughing.JPG

My greyhound, Isis, went to the rainbow bridge last year. Her racing name was Ghetto Girl. She was a beautiful fawn. I miss her so much.

Today, I met the strangest dog ever. She was a pit-bull greyhound cross. She has the size and head of a pitbull but the body of a grey. She also has the lazy temperment of a grey.

9 hours ago, Lillybee said:

My greyhound, Isis, went to the rainbow bridge last year. Her racing name was Ghetto Girl. She was a beautiful fawn. I miss her so much.

Today, I met the strangest dog ever. She was a pit-bull greyhound cross. She has the size and head of a pitbull but the body of a grey. She also has the lazy temperment of a grey.

I'm so sorry about your loss @Lillybee.  I remember discussing Isis with you a long time ago.  

Little Guy's new sister is a greyhound cross - perhaps Lab?  She looks exactly like a small greyhound until you get to her tail.  She carries her waggy tail in a pretty curl level with her back.  She is all black except for a white pinstripe down her nose, little white toes, and a streak of white on her chest.

Photos perhaps today.  I only have shots of the back of her head so far and it is hard to get good photos of black dogs.

She came from Ohio through the American Lurcher Project.  

Spoiler

The rescue called her Wendy.  We haven't come up with any bright ideas for alternatives, it suits her, and she is answering to it.  I think we are keeping the name.  :)

Just a few photos of our new girl.  She is not a very cooperative model because she is so intrigued by the camera.  I have way too many closeups of her nose.  Then the reluctant model decided to show us how well her spay incision was healing.   :)

I hope to get better pictures soon.

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

Just now, Palimpsest said:

She is not a very cooperative model because she is so intrigued by the camera.  I have way too many closeups of her nose.

I have an entire album of selfies!  Eye, nose, back of head - maybe it's a curious hound thing?

7_20_HH_selfie_maybe.JPG

She is beautiful!  You must be very pleased.  

4 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

She is beautiful!  You must be very pleased.  

Thank you.  We think she is beautiful.  She also has a very loving and playful personality and the Little Guy just adores her!  

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Just a few photos of our new girl.

She's beautiful, she's already rolling for the camera!

You're right, her name does suit her, just like that old song from the 60's, Windy. The name has a cheerful ring.

"Who's peeking out from under a stairway
Calling a name that's lighter than air?
Who's bending down to give me a rainbow?
Everyone knows it's Windy."

I have fond 60's memories, listening to songs like this, riding my bike with a transistor strapped to the handle-bars.  When Puff the Magic Dragon came on, I'd get all teary eyed lol.

She's a sweetheart @Palimpsest. 

@ALM7 we actually discussed changing her name to Windy but, as Mr P pointed out, unless you watch their diet carefully Greys are notorious for producing paint-strippingly noxious flatulence!  

So she is staying Wendy.  I had an Aunt Wendy I was very fond of too. :)

Archived