IGNORED

FJ Needlenose (Greyhound) Thread

Palimpsest

I know we have a quite a few greyhound owners or former grey owners here.

As I love to talk about the joys of having Retired Racing Greyhounds, I thought I'd start a thread.  They are fantastic dogs with a few quirky aspects to them.  I have two greys at the moment.  I've owned 4 since 20O3.  They don't live long enough.

Miss P, aged 13,  is still with us after a major health scare last year.  She is also a retired Therapy Dog.  She is sweet, stubborn, and a real character as I've described elsewhere. She's a bit shaky in the rear but doing amazingly well today.

Mr C, aged 8, ran 13 races in Florida and came last in all but one before being sent for adoption.  Smart boy!  Mr C is my anxious guy. He is also known as Epi-hound because we had a hard time getting his idiopathic epilepsy under control.   He is a big black, friendly and social, adorable, goofy boy - but no cat would be safe around him.

We also have Naughty Boy AKA Little Guy who is about 5 years old.  He is not a grey but he is a needlenose.  He's a smaller sighthound bred for hunting hare in Spain.  He is also a certified Therapy Dog.  Little Guy was a survivor, a rescue, a rehomed pup, and really had quite a life before he ended up with me.  He is five times as naughty and energetic as any of my couch potatoes have ever dreamed of being. 

@SledCat  So did you pick up your foster?  How is it going?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My daughter will be looking at possible adoption in two weeks.  I'll let you know if she finds a grey.  

We had one...but due to separation anxiety issues--as Jill-Rod would say, "SEVERE issues"--she had to take him back.  He wasn't a good fit in a home where he was alone all day.  We're hoping he gets placed in just the right spot.  Hated taking him back but we know he'd be better off in a home where he fits than in one where he was miserable being alone so much of the time.

A few years ago, we had one for several years.  He was beautiful and wonderful.  We still miss him.

@Palimpsest I think we might be on track to fail fostering. :D He's a real sweetie. 70 pounds of wriggly brindle. Only 2.5, which as you know is still kind of in the puppy-hood phase for a grey. Previous home loved him but thought he wanted to eat their cat, so he went back to the group after 5 months. 

If we do end up adopting him, he'll be our 5th greyhound (the previous four are at the rainbow bridge). Two of our previous greys we adopted as senior citizens. They had lived in homes but went back to the adoption group (one thing about the rehomes is they know the drill of living in a house, which is nice. The adoption group lady calls them plug-and-plays :D ). Our first two greys were fresh off the track.

That's wonderful about your senior girl, btw. I know what you mean about them giving you a health scare at that age. My one and only female grey lived to be two weeks shy of 15. At 13 years of age, her mobility deteriorated over the course of a few days to the point where she was completely unable to walk. She spent a week at the e-vet. Long story short, we prepared to say our goodbyes, and she suddenly began to show small improvements. Within a few weeks, she was walking again and even running a little.

As you say, they're really special dogs.  Definitely quirky sometimes, but they know how to race into your heart. :D

I miss our Grey—Bert—terribly. We adopted him when he was 9 and the couple who had him had to move to assisted living. We had him for 4 wonderful years and he was the sweetest, friendliest, most even tempered dog. A local group does meet-and-greets at the mall and I just happened to be there one day and I fell in love. I made my husband come down right away and we decided to adopt him. We had 5 cats at the time and he fit right in. A few years later, we adopted another dog—not a grey but a mystery mutt—that I feel in love with when I went to the pet store to buy dog biscuits. Temperament-wise, they have been couldn't be more different but he was totally cool with her. Just a couple of months after we got Dog 2 my husband called to tell me that something had happened to Bert and he was rushing him to the vet. It turned out he had bone cancer, had broken his front leg all the way up near the shoulder and all they could do was amputate. He was nearly 14 and was already struggling with arthritis (and had seizures that were worsening) and we along with the vet decided that the humane thing would be to let him go. Even thinking about it now makes me well up. I miss him every day and still have all his belongings. We would get another Grey in a heartbeat but Zelda would have a very rough time with it—she was abused and abandoned and has a very hard time adjusting to new things and other animals and she's VERY possessive of us so we lavish her with love. 

But Greys are the best. Here's my guy and Murray, one of our cats.

IMG_0081.JPG

@sparkles  Bonus points for the picture of handsome man.

The rest of you *foot tapping* should know it is *RUDE* to post about lovely critters without providing pictures!  Pictures, people!  (Plllllllllllllluhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!)

I feel funny posting a pic of my foster grey (sort of like I'm jinxing it :D ), so here is my wonderful greyhound, Jax. He passed away quite suddenly at the end of last year (the dreaded bone cancer). He was 10 years old. We only had him for 10-11 months. I don't know what his life was like with his previous family, but he was a very intuitive, sweet, snuggly dream dog. We had a strong bond, and it was ROUGH losing him so quickly. We knew it was a risk adopting an older guy. It was worth every minute, though.

jax.JPG

I should know better than to post a thread in the pet forum without pictures!  Or when I need to make dinner.

All your stories are great.  I'll have to come back with proper responses and pictures later.  Your pups are all beautiful.

Sledcat, I also failed fostering as I think I told you.  He was a senior bounce.

Aww, SledCat, he was beautiful. What a sweet face. Damn that bone cancer.

When we were going through the process of adopting our grey, one thing they were concerned about was that our backyard fence wasn't up to snuff so we spent not a small amount of change putting in a new one. And of course, Bert would NEVER go in the backyard. Seriously. We'd bring him outside with us and he'd immediately go right back up on the deck and stand there at the sliding door waiting for us to let him in. We had a standoff oneday  thinking thinking he might cave, but nope. He just stood there. He was over the outdoor thing and was totally content on his bed. We did get a nice fence out of it though.

That's so funny about the fence, sparkles. Bert must have taken his retirement seriously. :D We used to have a fenced-in backyard, but currently leash walk. My current grey drove me nearly to tears this week, as he kept "refusing" to go potty on the lead. I finally figured out that it was my fault. I was so used to taking my seniors out multiple times of the day and night for trips. He simply didn't need to go that many times. :D

The seniors have a special place in my heart, @Palimpsest. Btw, I think it's interesting you have done/do the Therapy Dog work with your guys. I have always thought sighthounds in general would be quite well suited to that line of work.

I've had two... My original one just passed away last Fall aged 13. Smartest dog I've ever encountered! I have another one who will turn 9 this year. She is as sweet as they come. I love this breed! I always say they are like big cats.

They ARE like big cats!  Very unlike other breeds.  Not saying that in a bad way.  They are uniquely special in their own beautiful way.

3 hours ago, sparkles said:

I miss our Grey—Bert—terribly. We adopted him when he was 9 and the couple who had him had to move to assisted living. We had him for 4 wonderful years and he was the sweetest, friendliest, most even tempered dog. A local group does meet-and-greets at the mall and I just happened to be there one day and I fell in love. I made my husband come down right away and we decided to adopt him. We had 5 cats at the time and he fit right in. A few years later, we adopted another dog—not a grey but a mystery mutt—that I feel in love with when I went to the pet store to buy dog biscuits. Temperament-wise, they have been couldn't be more different but he was totally cool with her. Just a couple of months after we got Dog 2 my husband called to tell me that something had happened to Bert and he was rushing him to the vet. It turned out he had bone cancer, had broken his front leg all the way up near the shoulder and all they could do was amputate. He was nearly 14 and was already struggling with arthritis (and had seizures that were worsening) and we along with the vet decided that the humane thing would be to let him go. Even thinking about it now makes me well up. I miss him every day and still have all his belongings. We would get another Grey in a heartbeat but Zelda would have a very rough time with it—she was abused and abandoned and has a very hard time adjusting to new things and other animals and she's VERY possessive of us so we lavish her with love. 

But Greys are the best. Here's my guy and Murray, one of our cats.

IMG_0081.JPG

You could have just labeled this "my two cats" and no one would be the wiser. ;) 

Pictures first.  I tried to pick ones I haven't used here before.  I really should take some new ones.

Mr C.  He always tries to fit onto the smallest bed available.

My favorite picture of the Little Guy.

Miss P.  This is a very old photo.  Yes, she is laughing at me.  I think this was when I decided that we'd lost the battle and that tired old love seat officially became the dog couch. 

032.JPG

027.JPG

004.JPG

I'm sorry to be so coy about my dogs' names.  It's just that if Steve Maxwell googled them all together he'd find me and I don't want him proselytizing on my doorstep. :pb_lol:

I forgot to say:  Little Guy is also an ExPat.  He was brought to the US by someone else who couldn't keep him.  My local Greyhound adoption group partners with his original rescue so that is where I found him.  BTW, there is a new (not too graphic and sensationalist) documentary out featuring his original rescue group and the plight of Spanish Greyhounds.   It is still upsetting to watch but gives a good indication of his early life. http://www.februarythedocumentary.com/home 

@Palimpsest  You know I just ask for pictures because I love to oogle your pretties, right?  Your little man has such a handsome coat, I feel my inner Cruella deVille stirring.

Are there many smaller sighthounds in the US?  (I read some about the Spanish tragedy after you mentioned it in a previous thread?)

My internet connection is wonky today.  I'm sorry about the multiple posts but I'm trying to put short ones up when I'm actually connected.

@Gimme a Free RV  I hope your daughter finds a grey!  I remember that you said she was considering one.  I think you made the right decision returning the grey with SA.  There are some good techniques that do work (I've had a dog with SA) but it takes a lot of time and patience.  I expect he'll find a home soon with someone home during the day or with other dogs.  Having multiple dogs seems to help a lot with SA.

@SledCat Yes, the puppy stage seems to last until they are 3.  What fun though.  Your foster sounds wonderful and I rather hope he is home to stay.  I'm not surprised you are afraid to jinx it by posting a pic.  Jax was lovely.  Osteo stinks.

My failed foster was dumped on Craigslist a week before his 10th birthday after being in a home for 5 years.  I think the previous owners wanted to get rid of him because he was developing health problems. He had occasional seizures and was beginning to show signs of idiopathic neuropathy.  He had breath that could knock you over, and lost 8 teeth when I took him for a dental the week after he came home.  He was such a sweet dog.  He goosed me within 3 minutes of meeting and then velcroed himself to my side for the duration.  We had him for almost 3 years and I still miss him.

@sparkles I remember Bert's story and Zelda's.  Bert sounds like a real gem.  It is so important to consider QOL when you have senior pets and know the right time to let them go and 14 is a pretty long life for a grey.  IMO the resident pets' needs always take priority over wanting to adopt new ones, but perhaps one day you will get another grey.

I honestly think a 4' fence would have been ample to contain the greys I have had so far, but I think it varies.  They usually run figure eights or toss toys around for a few minutes and then need a nap.  They much prefer walks to extended time in the yard anyway.  OTOH, Little Guy could probably get over my 6' fence with no problem if he tried.  Luckily he prefers to run circles around me and I never leave him in the yard unsupervised. 

@SledCat Therapy Dog volunteering was how I got into greyhounds in the first place.  I was interested in it and my Jack Russell had tried her paw at it, but she was getting very old.  I'd always loved greyhounds but assumed they needed a lot of exercise.  Once I did a little research I found that greyhounds can be wonderful TDs.  We had to interview 3 before we found one that didn't want to eat the JRT, but she was wonderful.  Sadly, we lost her when she was 7 to visceral hemangiosarcoma.  It was heartbreaking.  Of the greys I've had, only Mr C wouldn't be any good as a TD.  He is just too anxious.

Thanks for posting that documentary, @Palimpsest. I will be checking that out. My previous greys foster parent had an adopted podenco from Spain.  More high energy than a grey, but super sweet! Your dogs are just beautiful, btw.

My current grey is super sweet but definitely a puppy. On our walk yesterday he stuck his head into a bush and came out with a rotten burger roll (it smelled disgusting) complete with rotted leaves all over it. You would have thought it was a filet mignon. We will be working on "drop it", as I was unsuccessful in getting it away from him. Ugh. :ew: Keeping me on my toes. :D

Your failed foster was so lucky to end up with you. I think some pet owners don't think about what "old age" can look like for pets. Greyhounds as a breed (well, the retired racers) are usually pretty healthy but we've had some thumping vet bills along the way.

I had some relatives who rescued greys. Loved those dogs. We don't currently have the space for one, much less two, and we would like a dog that wants to run for long distances in the cold. So, no greys. But I will let them play cat around me anytime. 

@Queen Of Hearts  More details and pictures, please? ;)

1 hour ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

@Palimpsest  You know I just ask for pictures because I love to oogle your pretties, right?  Your little man has such a handsome coat, I feel my inner Cruella deVille stirring.

Are there many smaller sighthounds in the US?  (I read some about the Spanish tragedy after you mentioned it in a previous thread?)

I forgive you for the Cruella reference but Little Guy is giving you the major stink-eye.

I'm probably overcautious about mentioning LG's breed because there are a lot more groups bringing G a l g o s over these days.  They still count as a rare breed in the US, however.  Scooby Medina is one of the biggest international groups and works with people wanting to adopt in most of the US and in Canada, I think.  There is also a wonderful woman in PA, www.sagehounds.com  but she only likes to adopt out hounds in that area so she can help out if there are problems.  She is also a great photographer if you like lovely dog pictures.

6 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

@Queen Of Hearts  More details and pictures, please? ;)

I forgive you for the Cruella reference but Little Guy is giving you the major stink-eye.

I'm probably overcautious about mentioning LG's breed because there are a lot more groups bringing G a l g o s over these days.  They still count as a rare breed in the US, however.  Scooby Medina is one of the biggest international groups and works with people wanting to adopt in most of the US and in Canada, I think.  There is also a wonderful woman in PA, www.sagehounds.com  but she only likes to adopt out hounds in that area so she can help out if there are problems.  She is also a great photographer if you like lovely dog pictures.

If it makes Mr. Man feel any better, I mention that to certain critters here, too.  No one has ever lost an inch of their fur to my admiration.  (Prince Canine has a speckled ruff that would look quite elegant on me, too.)

I have enjoyed looking at pictures on that site.  I didn't realize they could have rough coats.  (Those poor dears just look disheveled next to their smoother cousins.)

This creature:

2334a9_b3412004a1e142de86ef28570e69e65f.

Just looks so elegant to me.  I really like him.  (Blue, previously Bucefalo, adopted 2013.)

Beautiful, SpoonfulOSugar. A very delicate bone structure. My first greyhound had markings very similar to that, except he had a stockier build, and was black not blue. I used to say he wore a tuxedo, though. :D

Well, it's official: we have failed fostering and now have a grey family member again. So excited. :D I'm also super excited about a harness I found that is helping us to enjoy our walks. Pup is a major puller (sled dog tendencies :D ), and I believe the martingale collar can cause neck problems over time for the pullers. At least, for a couple of my dogs, I believe it has.

• 2 weeks later...
On January 15, 2016 at 1:51 PM, SledCat said:

I feel funny posting a pic of my foster grey (sort of like I'm jinxing it :D ), so here is my wonderful greyhound, Jax. He passed away quite suddenly at the end of last year (the dreaded bone cancer). He was 10 years old. We only had him for 10-11 months. I don't know what his life was like with his previous family, but he was a very intuitive, sweet, snuggly dream dog. We had a strong bond, and it was ROUGH losing him so quickly. We knew it was a risk adopting an older guy. It was worth every minute, though.

jax.JPG

I can't help but giggle at how jealously your avatar seems to be eying Mr. Jax in this post...

18 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I can't help but giggle at how jealously your avatar seems to be eying Mr. Jax in this post...

I love it. :D

And, my new greyhound... he's an interesting personality mix! I think he (and we) might benefit from some training classes. He's very, very shy meeting new people. I do wonder if this is because he is worried he is about to be handed off to another family again. He is very bonded to me already (and, during play gets quite bitey with me. Another reason I think some training classes would be a good thing :D ).

Archived