IGNORED

David Bowie tribute

LadyCrow1313

For folks that have Sirius satellite radio, channel 30 (aka The Loft) is currently having an all-Bowie tribute through this Monday. A friend told me about it last night, & I wanted to share it with you.

:chi-yes:

Thanks LadyCrow1313!  I was flipping through my stations on the drive the other day hoping to find something like that but was disappointed.

I've been listening to it in my car, & I've heard songs of his that I'd never heard before; which, sadly, is quite a lot of them. I've enjoyed it thus far, & I even heard a cover version of the Alabama Song by the Doors. 

Which was quite odd, truthfully, but it was David Bowie. 'Nuff said. ;)

44 minutes ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

I've been listening to it in my car, & I've heard songs of his that I'd never heard before; which, sadly, is quite a lot of them. I've enjoyed it thus far, & I even heard a cover version of the Alabama Song by the Doors. 

Which was quite odd, truthfully, but it was David Bowie. 'Nuff said. ;)

This will either make things make more sense or far less sense.  Both these versions of this song are covers of a song sung by a female character in a musical that came out years (maybe decades) before even the Doors version did.  

11 hours ago, Whoosh said:

This will either make things make more sense or far less sense.  Both these versions of this song are covers of a song sung by a female character in a musical that came out years (maybe decades) before even the Doors version did.  

That does make sense, actually. What musical was it?

17 hours ago, mamallama said:

Yes I think it's a Kurt Weill (Three Penny Opera) song originally.

It's from The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny. Still Brecht and Weill but not as weIl known as Threepenny Opera. 

13 hours ago, Whoosh said:

After listening to this, Bowie's version makes more sense. Plus, the woman's voice reminds me of Madeline Kahn from Blazing Saddles. 

Thanks for posting this, @Whoosh

I'm learning new stuff all the time here, I love it! I never knew Lotte Lenya was a singer and married to Kurt Weill. I just always knew her as Rosa Klebb in From Russia With Love :my_blush:

Rosa Kleb?   Kurt Weil's  wife?   Well that was a wild little trajectory of interestingly related factoids.  Like a Bowie version of the Kevin Bacon game except this involved me watching 3 different YouTube  versions of a song I'd  never heard before.  Just last week I found myself listening to Nina Simone songs because I wanted to hear her version of Wild is the Wind (always liked Bowie s  version of that.)   Which made me think of something that Janice, the flower child Muppet said recently about how "Everything is connected if you think about it. Mind you, she was referring to Kristin Chenoweth 's obviously unconnected seat belt at the time,  but it is surprising the weird things that ARE connected.

Archived