IGNORED

Bradrick's Sons Name

NurseNell

It is complete revisionist history when it comes to Thomas Cromwell. I assumed the Bradrick's used him as inspiration because, for the revisionists, he is a martyr who fought for Protestantism and was executed for his beliefs. He did push and encourage Henry to to leave Catholicism, but he didn't do it for any reason other than his own ambition. He had a shot to step in when Wolsley was losing favor and he took complete advantage of it and gained the King's favor for himself.

But hey, if you want to name your kid after an ambitious, selfish man just because he claimed to believe in your religion at a time when beliefs could mean life or death, have at it.

As for Knox, I am sure the name is inspired by John Knox, the Scottish priest who was a big wig in the reformation. They are, after all, Dougie lovers and we all know how much Dougie loves Scotland and revises its religious history to suit his purpose. That one, to me, is almost too obvious to be real, but it is. The poor kid.

Edited for typos.

The Cromwell revisionism isn't so weird when you consider the fact that VF makes Anne Boleyn out to be a martyr for the Reformation too...

Peter Bradrick got married at 17? :naughty: How old was Kelly?

Nell

No, Taylor Tsantles was with Peter Bradrick at the gay protest and he was 17 years old when he married Kelly Bradrick's sister Blair Brown (now Blair Tsantles). She was 23 at the time and they just had a little boy a few days ago (their first).

Kelly and Peter are idiots, so it doesn't surprise me that they gave their children idiotic names. I wonder if she's pregnant again yet.

This is what Peter wrote on FB after the delivery:

"Through a prolonged epic display of courage & trust in the Lord, my precious wife gave birth to our 4th child and 1st daughter early this morning. Nothing I have ever done compares to the gripping, gut wrenching, soul thrilling experience of walking through child birth with Kelly. If pain and pressure reveal the value of your character, Kelly is solid gold. I am speechlessly grateful to the Lord for everything today!"

And Kelly wrote the day before:

"Praying for my husband who is right now in downtown Raleigh, street preaching against the homosexual agenda during the city's Gay Rights Parade. Please be in prayer for our team... Peter Bradrick, Tony Hernandez, Taylor Tsantles, David Brown."

Here's Scott Brown's blog from May - scroll down:

http://www.ncfic.org/weblogmodule/view_ ... 73d2154bd/

Peter's comment sounds a bit distant as if he is writing what he thinks will sound good instead of what he really feels.

I am glad that his wife is all right.

No, Taylor Tsantles was with Peter Bradrick at the gay protest and he was 17 years old when he married Kelly Bradrick's sister Blair Brown (now Blair Tsantles). She was 23 at the time and they just had a little boy a few days ago (their first).

Wow, that's hard to imagine. 6 years isn't a big difference if the man is 23 or 24 but at 17 marrying a 23 y.o. woman just seems weird. Most women at 23 are reasonably mature. It's a rare 17 y.o. boy who's mature. It's hard to believe parents would consent to this.

Nell

Wow, that's hard to imagine. 6 years isn't a big difference if the man is 23 or 24 but at 17 marrying a 23 y.o. woman just seems weird. Most women at 23 are reasonably mature. It's a rare 17 y.o. boy who's mature. It's hard to believe parents would consent to this.

Nell

It is even odder when you consider that she has to be sumissive to him, a young man who is not old enough to join the military without parents' consent.

It is even odder when you consider that she has to be submissive to him, a young man who is not old enough to join the military without parents' consent.

No way at 23 I could have married a 17 y.o., or an 18 y.o., or a 19 y.o. Maybe a 20 y.o. but probably not. A 17 y.o. boy and a 23 y.o. woman are so far apart developmentally.

Nell

The parents rationale is probably very much like the kings of yesteryear who married their daughters off to princes in other countries. I would guess that it's more about joining the two families than anything -- the Tsantles are now joined to the Browns by marriage and the Browns wield a lot of power and influence in the fundie circles in which they run.

Regarding the questions about names:

Knox would be named for John Knox, the famous Scottish reformer.

Geneva is, of course, named for Geneva, Switzerland when Calvin was there.

Given the them they have going, Cromwell is probably referring to the "Lord Protectorate" and not Thomas Cromwell.

And so, what knick-names do they use for Triumph Perseverance? "Tri"? "TP"? "Percy"? "Vera"? "Umph"? "The Insult Comic Dog"? :D

Given the them they have going, Cromwell is probably referring to the "Lord Protectorate" and not Thomas Cromwell.

I thought it referred to Oliver Cromwell, who hated Catholics.

Nell

It would be funny if the Bradrick kids all became famous atheists, wouldn't it? That would sort of destroy the reason behind the kids' names. :twisted:

I don't dislike the name Knox. It is sort of cute but unusual. But why didn't they give their children the first names of their heroes. Oliver is a normal name and is much nicer than Cromwell.

I won't say my last name but I would find it strange if several hundred years from now, my surname had been used for a child's first name. I would pity that poor kid.

Geneva's got to be for the Geneva Bible.

Wikipedia says:

The Geneva Bible is one of the most historically significant translations of the Bible into the English language, preceding the King James translation by 51 years. It was the primary Bible of the 16th century Protestant movement and was the Bible used by William Shakespeare, Oliver Cromwell, John Milton, John Knox, John Donne, and John Bunyan, author of Pilgrim's Progress.[1] It was one of the Bibles taken to America on the Mayflower, it was used by many English Dissenters, and it was still respected by Oliver Cromwell's soldiers at the time of the English Civil War.

Call me ridiculous, but something that bothers me about Triumph and Loyal as brothers' names is the lack of parallelism. How about Triumphant and Loyal or Triumph and Loyalty? One can't be a verb and the other an adjective. It grates. Oh, how it grates! Let's just hope that the Bradricks don't find out about the seventeenth-century English Barebone brothers: Praise-God, Fear-God, Jesus-Christ-Came-into-the-World-to-Save, and If-Christ-Had-Not-Died-for-Three-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned (Damned for short).

OK, I can understand Triumph and Loyal and they're really no worse than names like Hope and Faith except that they're less common. But what the hell is Knox supposed to mean?

My first thought was gelatin. . . :D

I have long maintained that Knox Defender ought to drop the "Bradrick" and headline an alt-rock band.

Wow...imagine if he married Penn Jillette's daughter, Moxie Crimefighter?

ETA: MonkeyMomma pointed out the similar name already :lol:

Wow...imagine if he married Penn Jillette's daughter, Moxie Crimefighter?

ETA: MonkeyMomma pointed out the similar name already :lol:

I want this so much to happen! Maybe Moxie will corrupt Knox and they will start a very heavy, punk band together.

I want this so much to happen! Maybe Moxie will corrupt Knox and they will start a very heavy, punk band together.

And any children they produced would be superheroes. :mrgreen:

Regarding the questions about names:

Knox would be named for John Knox, the famous Scottish reformer.

Geneva is, of course, named for Geneva, Switzerland when Calvin was there.

And so, what knick-names do they use for Triumph Perseverance? "Tri"? "TP"? "Percy"? "Vera"? "Umph"? "The Insult Comic Dog"? :D

Yeah, I guess it could be Oliver Cromwell. I tend to forget his Catholic stance given everything else.

Either way, it's a bad choice and based on unrealistic beliefs in the person. Oliver or Thomas, neither is what one would consider a role model. One was a self serving, ambitious man who played the games at court to their fullest extent. The other, a brutal politician who plunged the country into civil war, overthrew the existing system and while debated, committed genocide & ethnic cleansing at worst, religious brutality at best.

I can't imagine either of them being worthy of giving a child their name.

Yeah, I guess it could be Oliver Cromwell. I tend to forget his Catholic stance given everything else.

Either way, it's a bad choice and based on unrealistic beliefs in the person. Oliver or Thomas, neither is what one would consider a role model. One was a self serving, ambitious man who played the games at court to their fullest extent. The other, a brutal politician who plunged the country into civil war, overthrew the existing system and while debated, committed genocide & ethnic cleansing at worst, religious brutality at best.

I can't imagine either of them being worthy of giving a child their name.

A much more scary thought... they fully know about Cromwell's actions and still consider him a heroic man who acted as he should under the circumstances. Ethnic cleansing might only be bad in their minds when it is committed against their own kind

I think the youngest Lias kid is called Parker Cromwell. Quite the popular name in VF circles.

Archived