IGNORED

Johnstons another gun-crazy quiverfull family MERGED

Paperplate

I stumbled upon this family on social media. They have 9 (soon 10) children, they blog and (of course!!!), they sing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWzycOUrIYo.

Their blog is full of crazy: http://www.johnstonfamilyministry.com

A few favourites:

Have any of you ever heard of the Johnston Family?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paperplate, I think you've caused a stampede to their blog, because I can't even get on it! But I can't wait to view it later...

41 minutes ago, Paperplate said:

I stumbled upon this family on social media. They have 9 (soon 10) children, they blog and (of course!!!), they sing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWzycOUrIYo.

Their blog is full of crazy: http://www.johnstonfamilyministry.com

A few favourites:

Have any of you ever heard of the Johnston Family?

I looked at the "training children" part of the blog.   Ugh ugh ugh, and this guy is a family practice physician who thinks the biggest child abuse is not spanking!?  Makes me so sad for those children. 

Crazy, the stuff on ectopic pregnancy is why women die.

Lets faff about trying to find a grain of sand sized embryo in an inflamed fallopian tube and move it into a uterus and hope in implants.  Lets also hope she doesn't die/have permanent fertility issues from the prolonged surgery which was made 10x more difficult than it would otherwise be.  Just in case that kid survived (and the odds of that are beyond minuscule - I'm not saying impossible, as there is always a change, but one in millions of that working).

Crazy, more crazy than many people here.

And you don't home proof a baby, because your job as a parent/older person minding a kid is too keep them safe and teach them how to do it themselves.  Because no matter what you do, it takes ages for them to learn things like don't do a barrel roll off the stairs or touch the stove or climb bookcases, and no matter how vigilant you are, you need them to be safe for your momentary lapses in concentration you baby proof the house.

The one thing I agree with him on is "your smarter than them, act like it,"  However while he uses it to justify brute force, I'd argue that an adult should be smart enough to teach a child to behave in the way the way the adult wants without needed to using pain. Your smart then them (at the toddler stage, I can't say how long it will last), so use that brain to think about ways to parent without needing to bully.

This is from the gun article, the first line is the anti gun argument, the second is his refutation:

2. Mentally ill people can get guns.
Response: Which is why only a mentally ill person wouldn't want one.

What? I can't figure out what he's meaning to say here. Only mentally ill persons don't want guns because they can get them? 

7 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

This is from the gun article, the first line is the anti gun argument, the second is his refutation:

What? I can't figure out what he's meaning to say here. Only mentally ill persons don't want guns because they can get them? 

I think that he is suggesting that since mentally ill people have access to guns you would have to be crazy yourself to not get one to protect yourself from the hoards of mentally ill people roaming the streets with guns....

5 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

I think he thinks he's being clever and calling people who don't want guns "mentally ill", by insinuating that because a mentally ill person can get guns one must be really mentally ill to not want one. because yano people with mental illnesses are dangerous and a true man of God would arm himself against them.

Basically he's being a piece of shit.

How about Patrick's novels? Here is the summary for The Revolt of 2020:

When the president is among the thousands of leaders killed in a tragic explosion at the Reproductive Rights Convention, the government intensifies a campaign to silence opponents of its agenda. Good men like David Jameson are in the cross-hairs. Their intolerance is grounds for prosecution. Federal hate-crime laws become the tools to muzzle parents, pastors, sheriffs, and state leaders. In response to devastating terrorist attacks, the federal government begins to disarm Americans and drastically raise taxes. This provokes many states like Texas to resist. Secessionist fervor rises all over the country. The liberal university professor Mitch Paine leads thousands of anarchists and college students to riot and wreak havoc on the infrastructure of the "religious totalitarians." Resistance escalates to the brink of war when Texas State Guard forces square off with federal troops in downtown Austin. Will Americans preserve liberty for their posterity, or is tyranny inevitable? Awe-inspiring courage, terrifying tragedy, tender romance, and violent conflict carry the reader through an ageless clash of worldviews, where the superiority of the principles of liberty and Christianity prevail over a plethora of vicious opponents.

5. There are less gun crimes in nations with less guns.
Response: There's less blacks in Scandinavia, but that's not an argument against blacks.

Yeah, that doesn´t seem to be a logical  conclusion or comparison in any way to me ... And what have African-Americans to do with gun deaths?

Also, as expected, he seems to be really against gay marriage and supports Kim Davis *sigh*

From his article The Sinister Forces Behind Judge Bunning's Persecution of Kim Davis

It is easy to demonstrate, however, that gays are 
not treated unequally 
or unjust when it comes to marriage. 
There is no law, for example, forbidding a gay man 
from marrying a gay woman. None!

Right here in a federal court in Kentucky, in 1973,
the court declared that homosexuals were disqualified 
to marry “by their own inability of entering into 
marriage as that term is defined.” They aren’t qualified!

Revolt of 2020 sounds positively revolting.  If his scenario should ever come to pass in this country and I'm still alive, just hand me a cyanide capsule STAT!

Dr. Johnston would be my first choice for treatment of anxiety and/or depression. Here's his treatment plan:

Practical Tips to Overcome the Daily Onslaught of Anxiety and Depression

*Write out encouraging Bible verses, quotes, or thoughts, and tape them up at your house or work, or carry them in your purse or wallet. Refer to them and memorize them whenever you are struggling with unhealthy thoughts.

*Turn on uplifting Christian music. Sing and meditate on the principles of God's Word. Praise and worship the Lord. Try dancing to praise music! By all means, turn OFF any music or television that saddens you or causes you to focus on your troubles.

*Make a list of ten things to think about when you are tempted to think things you shouldn't. Make your list very practical. For instance: "What will I buy at the store?", "Where will we go on our next vacation?", "What will I say to my friend/neighbor/family member next time we speak?", etc. Always have this list on hand to refer to when tempted to be anxious, depressed, or angry.

*Occupy yourself with a big project or many projects that direct your mind off of yourself and onto others. There is no end to the number of nursing home residents, hospitalized patients, struggling families, volunteer organizations, and ministries who need a letter or a helping hand. Do not sit around and wait for your problems to disappear. Busy yourself with projects and invest your time in caring for others.

*Always fight the tendency to pity yourself. You will find one hundred reasons to believe that self-pity will make you feel better but it never solves anything. When tempted to pity yourself, think of others you know who are in much worse circumstances (i.e. the paralyzed teenager, the young husband who just lost his wife, Christians who are persecuted for their faith in China, Cuba, or Indonesia, etc.). Make a list of such people and remind yourself of how blessed you are. Stop and take a moment to pray for those who are less fortunate than yourself.

*Journal!! Write out your thoughts, regardless of how troubling or embarrassing they may be. Often, when you see on paper what is going on in your head, you will be surprised by how manageable your problem is through changing your way of thinking!

*A few good Scriptures on topics of importance are listed below for your edification.

Suffering: 1 Pet. 4:12-16, Rom. 8:17-18, 2 Cor. 4:17, James 1:2-4

Forgiveness/Mercy: Matt. 6:14-15, Matt. 18:21-22, Heb. 8:12, Prov. 11:19, James 5:9

Thankfulness: Phil. 4:11, Heb. 13:5, Rom. 1:21

Fear/Worry/Doubt: Matt. 6:25-34, Phil. 4:6-7, 2 Tim. 1:7, I Cor. 10:13 

6 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Revolt of 2020 sounds positively revolting.  If his scenario should ever come to pass in this country and I'm still alive, just hand me a cyanide capsule STAT!

The "novel" sounds more like a game plan to me.

27 minutes ago, Ralar said:

How about Patrick's novels? Here is the summary for The Revolt of 2020:

When the president is among the thousands of leaders killed in a tragic explosion at the Reproductive Rights Convention, the government intensifies a campaign to silence opponents of its agenda. Good men like David Jameson are in the cross-hairs. Their intolerance is grounds for prosecution. Federal hate-crime laws become the tools to muzzle parents, pastors, sheriffs, and state leaders. In response to devastating terrorist attacks, the federal government begins to disarm Americans and drastically raise taxes. This provokes many states like Texas to resist. Secessionist fervor rises all over the country. The liberal university professor Mitch Paine leads thousands of anarchists and college students to riot and wreak havoc on the infrastructure of the "religious totalitarians." Resistance escalates to the brink of war when Texas State Guard forces square off with federal troops in downtown Austin. Will Americans preserve liberty for their posterity, or is tyranny inevitable? Awe-inspiring courage, terrifying tragedy, tender romance, and violent conflict carry the reader through an ageless clash of worldviews, where the superiority of the principles of liberty and Christianity prevail over a plethora of vicious opponents.

Spoiler alert!!!

*Turn on uplifting Christian music. Sing and meditate on the principles of God's Word. Praise and worship the Lord. Try dancing to praise music! By all means, turn OFF any music or television that saddens you or causes you to focus on your troubles.

Interestingly, the people close to me who have depression DO use music pretty heavily to influence their moods and help them get stuff done when the motivation is not there. BUT they also, you know, take meds. And go to therapy. The music helps but it's not anywhere near enough on its own to fix an actual problem in the brain chemistry.

2 hours ago, Ralar said:

Dr. Johnston would be my first choice for treatment of anxiety and/or depression. Here's his treatment plan:

The "novel" sounds more like a game plan to me.

That list is actually not that different from the things my child's anxiety counselor said to do. This wasnt be the whole treatment plan, but a list of practical things to do daily to redirect ones thoughts.

The ectopic pregnancy post is ridiculous! That man is a physician? Are you kidding me?! An ectopic pregnancy is an emergency situation! Some women have to immediately get their fallopian tube on that side removed, which is not an abortion, by the way. It's a significant surgery for some, that can be life threatening. It's not about killing a baby! Ugh. I need to calm down before I read further. :pb_rollseyes:

5 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Paperplate, I think you've caused a stampede to their blog, because I can't even get on it! But I can't wait to view it later...

Maybe we can scare them off the internet.

12 minutes ago, iweartanktops6 said:

The ectopic pregnancy post is ridiculous! That man is a physician? Are you kidding me?! An ectopic pregnancy is an emergency situation! Some women have to immediately get their fallopian tube on that side removed, which is not an abortion, by the way. It's a significant surgery for some, that can be life threatening. It's not about killing a baby! Ugh. I need to calm down before I read further. :pb_rollseyes:

A word of warning: It doesn't get any less enraging in his other posts. I can't believe this guy is a doctor.

Ugh, such a scary thought that he's practicing medicine. What if you had an EP and this idiot was your doctor? Would he put your life in danger because of the baby some cells that are about to rupture in your fallopian tubes? :angry-banghead:

Seems the doctor is an aspiring novelist, in the genre of Tim LaHaye. Check out the video promo for his book, The Why (link is on their pages. Would provide link here, but am technologically challenged doing links on phone). Apocalyptic violence! Kids shooting at heathens! Living off the earth! Did I mention guns? A woman who reviewed the book proclaimed it essential to a Christian home school curriculum.

As an aside, I just got a banner ad saying "Concealed Carry Mistakes."

5 hours ago, DomWackTroll said: Paperplate, I think you've caused a stampede to their blog, because I can't even get on it! But I can't wait to view it later...

Maybe we can scare them off the internet.

I'd rather scare him out of practicing medicine...that's what I find truly terrifying here.

Kids are not commanded to love their parents, but they are commanded to obey them. If you allow your children to disobey you, all for the sake of winning their affection, you are preparing them for a short life, and eternal damnation thereafter.

As a physician I have said this many times. Not spanking your kids is the most prominent form of child abuse today.

If I took my child to this physician and he urged me to spank her, I would definitely report him to someone-- the head of the clinic, the American Pediatric Society-- someone.  I hope to God that he hasn't convinced anyone to start spanking who otherwise might not have done so.

Also the Bible commands women to obey their husbands.  Does that mean men should spank their wives?

Archived