IGNORED

RIP David Bowie

DaffyDill

I'm still in a pink cloud of denial. This can't be true. I cried in the car on my way to work when "Ashes to Ashes", "Space Oddity" and "Wild is the Wind" were on the radio, and I'm at my desk listening to whatever YouTube has to offer that David Bowie had a hand in creating. 

"...i guess freddie and david can now duet again in the afterlife. " Hope Robin Williams can join them every once in a while over a few drinks, and that Joan Rivers doesn't mind the noise. The world just became a little less bright, a little more bleak.

You know, I cannot stop thinking about this man's FIVE DECADE career and what a gift it was to us.  My 17yo daughter fell in my arms crying today and said "Mom, he's my childhood hero!"  And I said "oh baby, and he's MY childhood hero, how blessed and lucky are we?"  Space Oddity came out the year I was born.  Getting used to the world without David in it will be hard, but thank god we have his amazing legacy.  

Man, I can't think of many celebs whose deaths have brought me to sobbing. I got into Bowie in my early 20's and was learning to love and accept myself - I don't think I fully realized at the time how Bowie helped me learn to be OK with who I was. It's ok to be a weirdo, or a freak - you will eventually find people who will accept and appreciate you.

I saw Bowie on his last tour at the Starlight Theater in Kansas City in 2004. My friend wanted to go, and it was a 3 hour trip each way and I couldn't get time off work. I fought her worried I would be non-functional at work the next day. Well I ended up going, speeding down to KC, seeing the show and getting home a 3 am. I had to be at work at 8 am, and I was a hot mess, but totally worth it.

I'm going home tonight and watching Labyrinth. Besides music he was a pretty good actor. I'm just in utter shock the world lost such a talented, beautiful human. The world is a little bit greyer today, but he left us such an incredible gift of his music. Go meet the Starman David, and watch Us children boogie.

Great unique musician, stood up for Black artists... Such a class act. My heart goes out to Iman.

I just adored David Bowie. For so many, many reasons. He came down here and highlighted the plight of Australian Aborigines in the mid/late 80's, and was just such an original artist, intelligent man, and by all accounts, a lovely bloke.

He will be so missed, and the world is that bit more cold and less bright today.

Just heard Blackstar on the radio on Friday, which led to me humming Bowie songs all weekend. And now this.  What a legacy he leaves though.  

Just heard Blackstar on the radio on Friday, which led to me humming Bowie songs all weekend. And now this.  What a legacy he leaves though.  

The album's producer said Bowie knew he cancer was terminal when making the album, and it was his parting gift. It makes me cry just thinking of that - Mr. Bowie you have already given so much.

[emoji445]Listening to Wild Is The Wind[emoji445]

I was listening to Howard Stern talk about him this morning, & I heard that David had some sort of off-Broadway play (but I know nothing about it) debuting recently. He went to the opening of it about a month or so ago, but had appeared stoic & as if nothing was wrong. What I also heard is that he had pancreatic cancer, which is (from all accounts) a very painful disease.

There's also a picture circulating of him which was taken on his birthday a few days ago, & he looked fine (albeit thin, but that was always typical Bowie). Now that I've heard about the cancer, you can see traces of the pain in his face.

David had performed on a birthday show for Howard about 6ish years ago, & they played a clip of it yesterday. Absolutely amazing performance.

Cancer is a rancid fucking whore who needs to be eradicated already.   

So sad. I keep singing so many songs in my head.  It was so awesome when he allowed Chris Hadfield to play Space Oddity on the International Space Station. 

Growing up in the 80s, I was sad to hear this. Many public figures don't announce illnesses It's been a crazy two weeks of the new year :Natalie Cole, Alan Rickman, now David Bowie.THe Simpsons are paying tribute to Allan Rickman and Bowie
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2016/01/16/simpsons-salutes-alan-rickman-and-david-bowie/78896130/

We were listening to David Bowie last night driving back from my husband's birthday dinner.  I found out that my oldest daughter and my 5 year old granddaughter listen to David Bowie all the time as they are both fans.  I think that is really cool about my granddaughter being a fan.

On 17 January 2016 at 0:10 PM, roddma said:

Growing up in the 80s, I was sad to hear this. Many public figures don't announce illnesses It's been a crazy two weeks of the new year :Natalie Cole, Alan Rickman, now David Bowie.THe Simpsons are paying tribute to Allan Rickman and Bowie
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2016/01/16/simpsons-salutes-alan-rickman-and-david-bowie/78896130/

The Simpsons episode is actually an old one, before either he or Alan Rickman passed away, and IIRC, David Bowie isn't even in it, just his music.

Archived