IGNORED

RIP David Bowie

DaffyDill

NOOO!! Not David Bowie!!

RIP David, you will surely be missed.

"And the stars look very different today..."

Such a talented, original artist. :5624796058123_Aseaoftearscrying:

Labyrinth first. Then the music. Then my best friend and I barely made it to see him at The Gorge ampitheatre in Washington. He was awesome. One of the best concerts ever.

Cancer sucks.

Even after seeing this confirmed on multiple news sites, some part of me is still hoping this will somehow turn out to be an elaborate hoax. :( 

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Even after seeing this confirmed on multiple news sites, some part of me is still hoping this will somehow turn out to be an elaborate hoax. :( 

It's on his official FB

A part of me is like "what a way to wake up" but I don't want to sound like I'm complaining... my thoughts are with his family and friends.

I was in tears when I heard about this. RIP, Mr. Jones. You were always one of my favorites. PS: F cancer. 

I woke up with 'Life on Mars' playing in my head this morning and then read the news. He was a legend and will remain so.

Shocking news, to be sure. My sister and I were just reminiscing on Friday about seeing him way back when (including when he toured with Iggy Pop as part of the band). In the late 80s she worked for a company that was helping to produce his Glass Spider tour (with Peter Frampton and Carlos Alomar in the band) and she invited me to attend the press event at the Cat Club in NYC. We couldn't have been more than 20 feet away from him. Even though I wasn't the biggest fan at that point, it was electric. A great talent whose legacy and influence are for the ages.

RIP.

My mum reminded me earlier that when Team GB walked out in the athlete's parade in the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics, "Heroes" played. I don't remember. I feel kind of bad for not being so au fait with his music, either. I'm sure I've heard some of it, I likely just wouldn't recognise it.

If the universe would stop taking away some of my favorite musicians this month, that would be great. I was still sad over Lemmy Kilmister's passing, and now I'm double plus extra sad. I don't think I've been this mopey about a musician's death since Joe Strummer.   

13 minutes ago, NerdyHil said:

. I don't think I've been this mopey about a musician's death since Joe Strummer.   

Strummer's death was a shocker.  I'd seen him perform not many months before and he was in fine form.  Just sat down in a chair and died at 50 years old.

I knew Bowie had health problems, but he still seems like someone who shouldn't be dead.  I don't know why.

My sweet son woke me this morning by calling me to tell me, so that I wouldn't read it on the internet first because he knew how hard I'd take it.  I haven't stopped crying yet; it alternates between quiet, rolling tears and sobbing.  After Elton, who is my freaking world, Bowie is pretty much it for me.  As a musician, a singer, a man, everything.  Blackstar is SO unique and so good.  I can't believe he's gone.  I saw him live in 1987 and I am so grateful for that.  I will be in mourning this week and probably longer.  

And David - good on you baby for keeping your illness private so that those fucking awful ghoulish tabloids and magazines wouldn't be publishing your death every two weeks before it happened.  On your own terms, as always.  

I was floored by this news. All of the bands I listened to in my teens and twenties pretty much owed their existence to David Bowie and Lou Reed. I grew up in the alternative music scene of the 1980s, and it's absolutely not an exaggeration to say that I would not be the person I am today had it not been for the musical influence of David Bowie.

This is my first day of classes for the semester, and I've already found myself crying three times this morning. (The only other celebrity death that has moved me to tears was Nimoy.) I've got to keep it together in classes today and somehow manage not to turn them into Bowie retrospectives even if I feel like all of these young college kids should be well-versed in just how important he is. Bless my kid, who is proudly (if sadly) wearing her Bowie shirt to campus today.

You know, I *totally* loved the "Under Pressure" duet Bowie did with Freddie Mercury of Queen.

Guys, you died WAYYYYY too early...but we will remember you for years. THANK YOU!

May your Eternal (if y'all have one) give you peace, joy, and comfort in a truly wonderful place.

when i was coming out of my fundie shell with regards to music, david bowie was one artist i latched onto. i was absolutely gobsmacked by the news this morning.

i guess freddie and david can now duet again in the afterlife.

Such a dreadful way to wake up.  I thought it had to be a hoax -- he'd JUST released Blackstar! But now I see he wanted to leave us one final gift before passing, and I am so glad he did.  Always such an amazing artist.  I feel dreadful for his family.

2 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

You know, I *totally* loved the "Under Pressure" duet Bowie did with Freddie Mercury of Queen.

Guys, you died WAYYYYY too early...but we will remember you for years. THANK YOU!

May your Eternal (if y'all have one) give you peace, joy, and comfort in a truly wonderful place.

If David Bowie's not in heaven, I don't wanna go there.

Archived