IGNORED

John Robert Moore: A Changed Man?

DomWackTroll

You decide!

Former Vision Forum wunderkind John Robert Moore is gushing about his most recent project, “Chasing American Legends,” a reality TV show about Texas politician Rick Green and his family doing “history” stuff (and shootin' guns!) to teach kids.

https://www.facebook.com/thepaladinian/posts/10152914191269649?pnref=story

Let’s have a look at Rick Green’s Wikipedia page, shall we?

“Green is associated with WallBuilders, an organization that seeks to present America's ‘forgotten’ history as a Christian nation.[4] WallBuilders was founded by former Texas Republican vice-chairman David Barton of Aledo, Texas.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Green_(Texas_politician)

Yes, that David Barton! Here’s the WallBuilders website:

“To assist in the formation of sound public policy, we have established the WallBuilders' ProFamily Legislative Network. This arm of WallBuilders monitors and collects pro-family legislation from the various states in over a dozen different areas (e.g., marriage, abortion, education, public morality, gambling, parental rights) which we then make available to legislators and activists in other states at their request, thus enabling pro-family legislation to be introduced in states across America.”

http://www.wallbuilders.com/ABTOverview.asp

But more on Rick: He’s endorsed by James Dobson of Focus on the Family, Mathew Staver of the Liberty Counsel, Kelly Shackelford of the Liberty Institute, Cathie Adams of the Texas Eagle Forum, and Chuck Norris of the Rightwing A-Holes League.

http://rickgreen4texas.com/

Wow, John Robert Moore! It must be totally awesome to “leave Dominionism” and add stuff like ample-bosomed burlesque performers, bisexuality, and polyamory to your life but still make money pushing sexism, racism, and homophobia on others. Tell us again about your amazing “journey” and how much you’ve learned.

So basically he still believes the same things, he just has double standards when it comes to himself? 

Well this is a bit disappointing :(

He is, and always has been, a douchecanoe extraordinaire. I hope for his own sake that he one day succeeds in extracting his head from his own ass.

So basically he still believes the same things, he just has double standards when it comes to himself? 

Follow the money to make money -- isn't that the VF way? Looks like John is not one to leave a financial opportunity unexploited especially when there are yet more sheeple to fleece.

Re: John Robert Moore's alleged disavowal of VF & dominionist ways -- remember, a dog that will fetch a bone will carry a bone.

2 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Follow the money to make money -- isn't that the VF way? Looks like John is not one to leave a financial opportunity unexploited especially when there are yet more sheeple to fleece.

Re: John Robert Moore's alleged disavowal of VF & dominionist ways -- remember, a dog that will fetch a bone will carry a bone.

hoipolloi, I remember thinking, when he came on here with his story, how very vague and self-centered it all was. "I've grown... I'm still learning... My journey..." He never came right out and said, "Vision Forum's teachings are wrong/bad/harmful." In fact, he was defending much of it. In spite of that, many kind posters here on FJ urged us to give him a chance. Well, we did, and he blew it. 

Ugh the hypocrisy just galls. It seems like the VF acolytes in particular have no problem with indulging in the all the fun the "world" has to offer (JRM and his dildos, Perry C and his drinking and rock music, Dougie galavanting around Europe with his victim/nanny) while preaching one of the most dangerous, insidious brands of religious fundamentalism outside of Saudi Arabia.  

It's intriguing that Green et. al. have no problem hiring John, knowing his personal habits.  Do they think their wholesome [sic] brand over shadows the reputations of their agents?  Truly interesting.  

13 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

It's intriguing that Green et. al. have no problem hiring John, knowing his personal habits.  Do they think their wholesome [sic] brand over shadows the reputations of their agents?  Truly interesting.  

It is absolutely amazing what this guy's been able to get away with while working with Dominionists. If it was just het sex, sure, I could see it, but he's made no secret of the bi stuff. In fact, he's reported his escapades in great detail. 

Hey there.  Rick and his kids are blast to hang out with, and I never renounced any of my views on guns, so I'm not sure why a segment from a reality show about guns is being used as the sole motivator to insist I'm pushing racism, sexism, or homophobia. These shows were made starting two years ago, and my views have changed a lot since then; but even that older material was devoid of any sexism, homophobia, patriarchy, or dominionism.

But on top of that, when others were ready to skewer me with a pitchfork, Rick was one of the only people who was supportive and refused to publicly or private shame me for my actions.   The love and kindness he has shown me and others who fall outside the lines of even his beliefs definitely kept me working with him for a long time, but across 2015 many of my views started publicly changing, and Rick and I found less and less common ground. Not just on sexuality, but on political issues like marijuana prohibition, security, etc. By the time his sons wedding rolled around, many of his family and extended family removed me from their social media, and while my friends were invited back to film the wedding, I wasn't. In the media I produced with him in the last 12 months we definitely didn't represent sexism or homophobia, and though there's definitely a lot of conservative spin on history, there's also a lot of things in the way we handled that show and the content in it that would be strongly disapproved of by even my own parents from a theological "family life" aspect.  

Meh. Watch the show, criticize it where it deserves it, but please don't conclude that I'm reaping these huge profits from shoving rushdoonian doctrine down people's throats.  That doesn't reflect me or Rick, and certainly not the money I was making.  I do appreciate how much comfort and security I've had coming forward with changed beliefs, and it's interesting to watch others change as well. It surprises me when somebody like Rick becomes more conservative in the face of public trends.  But ultimately we've been going different directions for a few years. And those discrepancies led to the end of our working relationship.

What is a :"conservative spin" on history? Shouldn't it be a "true account" of history? 

JohnRobertMoore, the show portrays Rick Green in a positive light, does it not? Would you argue that? And would you argue that this man who is painted in a positive light is not anti-gay, when he himself states that he is fighting against equality for gay people? And would you argue that this man who is painted in a positive light is not sexist, when he himself states that he is working against reproductive freedom for women? And would you argue that this man who is painted in a positive light is not a racist, when he is partnered with David Barton in a venture that promotes a revisionist history that defends the Confederacy and vilifies the civil rights movement? 

If the "media you produced with him" represents Rick Green, it is indeed representing homophobia, sexism, and racism. 

4 hours ago, JohnRobertMoore said:

Hey there.  Rick and his kids are blast to hang out with, and I never renounced any of my views on guns, so I'm not sure why a segment from a reality show about guns is being used as the sole motivator to insist I'm pushing racism, sexism, or homophobia. These shows were made starting two years ago, and my views have changed a lot since then; but even that older material was devoid of any sexism, homophobia, patriarchy, or dominionism.

But on top of that, when others were ready to skewer me with a pitchfork, Rick was one of the only people who was supportive and refused to publicly or private shame me for my actions.   The love and kindness he has shown me and others who fall outside the lines of even his beliefs definitely kept me working with him for a long time, but across 2015 many of my views started publicly changing, and Rick and I found less and less common ground. Not just on sexuality, but on political issues like marijuana prohibition, security, etc. By the time his sons wedding rolled around, many of his family and extended family removed me from their social media, and while my friends were invited back to film the wedding, I wasn't. In the media I produced with him in the last 12 months we definitely didn't represent sexism or homophobia, and though there's definitely a lot of conservative spin on history, there's also a lot of things in the way we handled that show and the content in it that would be strongly disapproved of by even my own parents from a theological "family life" aspect.  

Meh. Watch the show, criticize it where it deserves it, but please don't conclude that I'm reaping these huge profits from shoving rushdoonian doctrine down people's throats.  That doesn't reflect me or Rick, and certainly not the money I was making.  I do appreciate how much comfort and security I've had coming forward with changed beliefs, and it's interesting to watch others change as well. It surprises me when somebody like Rick becomes more conservative in the face of public trends.  But ultimately we've been going different directions for a few years. And those discrepancies led to the end of our working relationship.

Thanks for commenting, John.  That explains what I was confused about -- you two no longer work together.   

I appreciate the involvement component of this particular thread and the historical predecessors. :popcorn2:

There is something about John Robert Moore's hubris, resilience, and lack of moral fiber that really tickles me. 

It has nothing to do with his sexual preferences because I could not care less about those.  I really want to praise him for leaving the Fundie fold - but he is such a con artist.   In my opinion, of course.

He is such a proud ratfink, grass and squealer.  With baubles.  He is the whipped cream and the cherry on top of a traitorous gossiping melting sundae of self-aggrandizement.

He should be covered in humiliation after his previous gossipy and humiliating experiences here on FJ.  But here he is again.

:popcorn:

8 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

traitorous gossiping melting sundae of self-aggrandizement.

This makes me weep with joy.

You are an artist and words are your paintbrush.

I would even enjoy being insulted by someone with this ability to paint with words.

8 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

There is something about John Robert Moore's hubris, resilience, and lack of moral fiber that really tickles me. 

It has nothing to do with his sexual preferences because I could not care less about those.  I really want to praise him for leaving the Fundie fold - but he is such a con artist.   In my opinion, of course.

He is such a proud ratfink, grass and squealer.  With baubles.  He is the whipped cream and the cherry on top of a traitorous gossiping melting sundae of self-aggrandizement.

He should be covered in humiliation after his previous gossipy and humiliating experiences here on FJ.  But here he is again.

I was about to say "remind me not to piss you off," but on second thought I think I want you to roast me next! Amazing.

10 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I can't figure out how to bold on my phone...... I have nothing to add, just here to bow down to your sundae description. 

JRM it sounds like you are saying two things.  First, it sounds like you are saying that your views have evolved since you did this work with Rick Green and the two of you have parted ways.  If that is true, great and I wish the best for you.  I know that change isn't easy and it can take a long time.  However, remember that you have a history here and if in the past you had argued that your views had changed and evolved and you no longer shared Rick's core beliefs, but then you went on to make this movie - people will likely comment on that.

Second, it sounds like you are saying that you are defending the media you produced with this man over the past two years because 1) you were presenting some "positive" side of the man rather than what many FJ members view as his seedy underbelly and 2) he was very good to YOU.  It seems like you want people to ignore the fact that you were working to promote a man who, in the eyes of many FJ members, actively works to do harm to others.  If that is what you are suggesting I would suggest you read up on some of the topics here (such as the Duggar family and the Bates family and their respective TV shows which paint rosy pictures of the "positive" side of things while sweeping the sordid underbelly of their actual beliefs and messages under the rug).  Sincerely, this argument in defense of your projects with this is pretty much what many FJ find so particularly distasteful about people like this getting this type of media attention.  I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, like I said I do wish you well on your continued growth journey and I do wish you well.

9 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

I was about to say "remind me not to piss you off," but on second thought I think I want you to roast me next! Amazing.

Apparently insomnia makes me unusually eloquent. :pb_lol:

I should clarify though.  @JohnRobertMoore has royally pissed me off in the past, and he probably remembers why.  It wasn't just the gossiping.

However, I wasn't really angry with him yesterday.  I was more frustrated - torn between reluctant admiration and amusement at his lack of embarrassment about past behaviors here, and mild irritation at what looked like hypocrisy and a rather shameless plug for his new project.  Is a lack of shame and embarrassment courageous and praiseworthy - or is it a bit pathological?

However, in the light of day, I think his explanation makes some sense.  I'm sure that there was an element of any port in a storm in his relationship with Rick.  Sometimes we do have to compromise our beliefs to put food on the table.  John Robert may indeed have parted ways with Rick as his thinking changed.  Well, good for him then.  He's growing up and changing.  He still has a long way to go in his journey to recovery from the Fundie mindset, in my opinion, but that is his business not mine.

Recovery from an extreme Fundamentalist upbringing takes a very long time and being ostracized by your family and friends is extremely difficult and painful. 

So, John Robert.  I also wish you well in your journey.  I'll still call you out when I think you deserve it though.   :my_smile:  

I'll admit, if I had pullled the "I'm watching Grey's Anatomy until you little ladies learn to behave" act he pulled, I would be way too embarrassed to show my face around here again. I have found that some people just really aren't embarrassed by stuff like that, though, even when they do it in real life. He must be one of them. 

20 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I'll admit, if I had pullled the "I'm watching Grey's Anatomy until you little ladies learn to behave" act he pulled, I would be way too embarrassed to show my face around here again. I have found that some people just really aren't embarrassed by stuff like that, though, even when they do it in real life. He must be one of them. 

:pb_lol: I'd completely forgotten that, but I missed his first appearance here and had to catch up months later.

Spoiler

No.  I went ballistic when he casually made the serious allegation that he was outed by an Admin here.  He later completely retracted that allegation. 

10 hours ago, Whoosh said:

Anyway, like I said I do wish you well on your continued growth journey and I do wish you well.

Looks like I may have fallen asleep last night while posting as that was supposed to end with "wish you well with actually abandoning these harmful ideas" or "figuring out how to stop harming innocent and good people for absolutely no reason" or something like that, but last night and now I couldn't figure out exactly what to write.  I don't remember deciding to quit trying mid-thought though.  

Archived