IGNORED

What are you Reading (Part 2)?

keen23

On 2/16/2018 at 9:33 PM, Mela99 said:

I’m on a history kick. Just finished a book about Abigail Adams and I’ve been slowly making my way through Ron Chernows Hamilton. Really good.

I'm reading Chernow's book on Washington right now, and have Hamilton in the queue. It is taking months to get to get through Washington's bio because I keep taking breaks and reading shorter fun fiction in between. Read McCullough's book on John Addams last  year.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I finished Sense and Sensibility, Ghosts of Salem: Haunts of the Witch City (Haunted America), The Island of Doctor Moreau, and Three Wishes. 

I'm going to read N0S4A2 by Joe Hill and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen! :) 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/01/2016 at 10:34 PM, Karma said:

I've been in the mood for some light reading. Have just read a few books released in the last few years by an australian author, Liane Moriarty.  Good, light reading.  The one more of hers I haven't read, called Three Wishes. I think I'll go buy it tomorrow :)

This is a very very late reply but I just finished Big Little Lies. It was a nice light read. 

• Upvote 3

I just read Radium Girls:  The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore.  Great book.  

• Upvote 2

I am on the 2nd 50 Shades of Grey book.  Yes, I went there.

Not great writing, but...

• Upvote 2

On 12/29/2017 at 3:35 PM, CTRLZero said:

RIP Sue Grafton.  Her alphabet series provided me with hours of poolside reading pleasure.  I was reading that she published "Y", but died before starting "Z".  Her family has said there will be no "Z" ("As far as we in the family are concerned," her daughter wrote on the website, "the alphabet now ends at Y."), but I bet fanfic writers will provide some sort of tributes. 

I just read Y. It was as good as any other, but it made me so sad at the end. You have to wonder if she had a plan to finish them off. 

It's so weird to think about how long you've been with a character. I read Kinsey since high school (so 20ish years). There are a few others like that.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 11/14/2017 at 2:50 PM, Carm_88 said:

I finished The Shop on Blossom Street, a biography of Albert the Prince Consort, and a Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. A Man Called Ove made me ugly cry for a good 15-20 minutes. I was inconsolable. 

I'm now reading The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty. 

What did you think about The Hypnotist's Love Story? I read it last year and didn't quite like it.

1 hour ago, Sky with diamonds said:

What did you think about The Hypnotist's Love Story? I read it last year and didn't quite like it.

I wasn't overly impressed. It wasn't nearly as good as her other books. 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I wasn't overly impressed. It wasn't nearly as good as her other books. 

It's the first one I read by her. I'm going to give her another chance, because I own Big Little Lies too. Just not sure when I will read it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

It's the first one I read by her. I'm going to give her another chance, because I own Big Little Lies too. Just not sure when I will read it.

Big Little Lies was the first book, I read by her. I would say that's head and shoulders over The Hypnotist's Love Story. A lot lighter and more about friendships between women then anything else. 

• Thank You 1

On 3/14/2018 at 8:17 AM, Carm_88 said:

Big Little Lies was the first book, I read by her. I would say that's head and shoulders over The Hypnotist's Love Story. A lot lighter and more about friendships between women then anything else. 

Awesome. Just the type of book I need to escape in. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

On 12/28/2015 at 4:30 PM, keen23 said:

What are YOU reading now? Anything good? Anything to avoid?

I’m reading, almost finished with, “Grant” by Ron Chernow. I’m fully immersed! I’ll be sad when it’s over, so I plan to read his memoirs following this.

On 1/22/2018 at 6:43 PM, CTRLZero said:

The Immortal Irishman by Timothy Egan

‘Just’ finished this, maybe two weeks ago?

Anyway, I was really riveted.

It also regenerated my interest in The American Civil War. So far it’s been nonfiction, but after I read U.S. Grant’s memoirs, I might take a dip into the historical fiction.

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2017 at 7:25 PM, Carm_88 said:

I'm still working on Under the Banner of Heaven. It's just a lot! 

I read this about a year ago- I recommend it without reservation!

• I Agree 1

I'm reading Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead right now and it's really getting under my skin. Great book!!

I just started re-reading a mafia series by Rachel VanDyken. I love her writing! There's I believe 9 books in the series right now & they are all SO good!!

Just started "I am Hutterite" by Mary-Ann Kirkby.  Interesting!

We have a lot of Hutterites (wrongly called Hoots) near me, and this is a great read so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I read The Building of Jalna, and am now reading Morning at Jalna. In between I read Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania. Excellent book. I found it very thought provoking.

• Upvote 1

I am working on American Housewife, Helen Ellis.  Funny in parts, but disjointed.

Just finished The It Girls, Karen Harper.  I don't like historical romance, but there was enough feminist gumption to keep me hooked.

On 3/14/2018 at 8:17 AM, Carm_88 said:

I really liked the book, except for that so and so Perry. A better book than the THLS for sure. I was happy how it ended. 

I'm hoping to start on Sea Glass by Anita Shreve today. I was sad when I found out she recently passed away. One of my favorite authors.

Edited by Sky with diamonds
  • Upvote 2

I just finished "Educated" by Tara Westover. It was an eye-opening read and I highly recommend it.

• Upvote 1

I'm reading The Winter of the World by Ken Follett and Prince Charles: The Passions and Paradoxes of an Improbable Life. 

• Upvote 1

I just finished The Punishment She Deserves by Elizabeth George.   Liked it but as an audiobook reader, I found the number of characters that were a bit too similar to be confusing.  

• Upvote 2

I finished the other two books, they were good. Oh god, I just finished Every Note Played by Lisa Genova and I couldn't see the last 20 or so pages because I was crying so hard. :( Ahhh my heart. I'm going to need something more lighthearted, I think! 

• Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic