IGNORED

What are you Reading (Part 2)?

keen23

4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

@LacyMay I'm pretty sure that John Green does have OCD, that is why it's so accurate. 

He does, he's talked about it a lot recently so I was expecting it to an extent (which is admittedly why turtles sat on my bookshelf for a month before I was brave enough to open it) But I'm still impressed by how well He's managed to describe something that's so individual. 

• Upvote 1

I finished The Shop on Blossom Street, a biography of Albert the Prince Consort, and a Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. A Man Called Ove made me ugly cry for a good 15-20 minutes. I was inconsolable. 

I'm now reading The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty. 

• Love 1

I finished the audio of A Banquet of Consequences by Elizabeth George.  It was okay - better than the previous novel in this series that made me rather stabby.  And read the first two of the walking dead graphic novels (with a thanks to my public library and the Hoopla app for my ipad) 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Before We Were Yours (Lisa Wingate) and adored it. Of course now it's 1am and I have tears rolling down my face but what odds. 

For anyone looking for historical fiction not about war I would much reccomend it. 

• Upvote 1

I just finished The Wangs Against The World.  Hmph, not enough character development and too many side stories.  I had high hopes for this one.

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked off the "horror" category on my yearly list with "Final Girls" I actually quite enjoyed it (It reminded me a bit of gone girl but I found it to be less gritty while still dark and twisty) 

TBH I feel a bit like I'm cheating since I would probably call it thriller BUT GoodReads has it as horror and that's what I'm going on.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

Sue Grafton died.  Well shit fuck.

RIP Sue Grafton.  Her alphabet series provided me with hours of poolside reading pleasure.  I was reading that she published "Y", but died before starting "Z".  Her family has said there will be no "Z" ("As far as we in the family are concerned," her daughter wrote on the website, "the alphabet now ends at Y."), but I bet fanfic writers will provide some sort of tributes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished The Fog Seller: A San Francisco Mystery and I loved it.  If there is already a thread for what we are currently reading, please merge.... thanks!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Immortal Irishman by Timothy Egan

Although I am interested in reading just about anything Timothy Egan writes, I decided to read this one based on a different set of circumstances.  I was doing a bit of genealogy-lite, and stumbled across a census form filled in by my supposedly German great*-grandfather.  On it, he indicated he had immigrated from Ireland!  This contradicted my whole family tree as I was told, so I took one of those ancestry DNA tests.  Sure enough, it came back predominately Irish.

Anyhow, Timothy Egan published the book "The Immortal Irishman" about Thomas Francis Meagher, so I decided to read it to find some tidbits about Irish history and immigration in roughly the same time frame as my ancestor.  To honor his own Irish ancestors, the dedication by Egan includes:  "Cast out of Ireland, they found homes in Michigan, in Chicago, in Montana, in Seattle..."  In my family's self-published history, my great*-grandfather followed this northern route, so that part of the family history was probably correct.  I suspect the family history as passed down by my grandparents is largely fantasy.  I am 100% certain they were moonshiners, though, lol!

Meagher had quite the interesting life, and I can recommend reading the book for both the details of this historical figure and also the overview of tough times in Ireland.

*maybe great-great, I'm not very motivated to figure it out.

I started the Lilac Girls today and got completely sucked in....!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

I started the Lilac Girls today and got completely sucked in....!

I was just looking at this one on Amazon.  I am glad it is off to a good start! I think I am going to save it to read on my kindle while we are traveling in a couple of weeks. I have a couple of JoJo Moyes books from the library that I should read first. 

I also added The Poisonwood Bible to my to-read list. 

I just finished Year One: Chronicles of the One, Book 1 by Nora Roberts and I really enjoyed it! Nora Roberts has been one of my go to authors for easy read novels for years. This one was a bit of a different style for her, IMO.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

I just finished Year One: Chronicles of the One, Book 1 by Nora Roberts and I really enjoyed it! Nora Roberts has been one of my go to authors for easy read novels for years. This one was a bit of a different style for her, IMO.

I've been considering this one, as it looks like the sort of topic I'm interested in - plague, post-apocalypse, etc.  Thanks for the thumbs up.

A Kindle book I finished while traveling (easy to read) was The Scribe of Siena by Melodie Winawer.  It's a time-travel romance (not sappy), but also a pretty good historical fiction.

• Upvote 1

I recently finished Kim Stanley Robinson's novel New York 2140. It's a near-future scifi heavily infused with realism, and I think it's a very good novel. The story is set roughly a 120 years into the future, and depicts a largely submerged yet still thriving New York city, in which the submerged parts have been and are still being adapted for habitation. The novel is a critique of global capitalism, and explores alternatives to this destructive system. Robinson considers capitalism to be an unjust and unsustainable system, and compares it to a kind of global Ponzi scheme, which ultimately cheats future generations.
Because it is so realistic, especially for a scifi story - for instance, it doesn't contain any elements that are physicially (and/or theoretically) impossible (the story completely adheres to the lawas of physics) - this novel is very accessible for readers who aren't accustomed to or don't prefer science fiction. The only thing that makes it science fiction, imo, is that the story is set in the near future, and that it portrays some technological novelties, which are all based on currently existing data, theories, and developments. 
I very much recommend this novel!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine has been telling me about the Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward books for aeons, & she got me the first one for my birthday. Holy crap, I fell in love w/it. I then proceeded to hit Barnes & Noble & picked up the next 5 books (I think there's a total of 12 books so far? not sure about the actual number), & am in the process of reading them again.

Basically, it's about warrior vampires, & naturally there's lots of sexy time in it, too. And you know what? It's not your typical crappy romance book; they actually have a story to them, & I'm really enjoying it.

• Upvote 1

I'm reading Wild Sean's by Jung Chang. I'm liking it more than I thought I would. So engrossing. 

Just finished up The Autumn Throne by Elizabeth Chadwick. I cried despite knowing that it was about a real human who died, I'm a sap sometimes!

I'm now reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and I think I'm going to plow through Turtles All The Way Down by John Green. 

• Upvote 1

I read both Turtles All The Way Down which was really good and A Discovery of Witches; which I loved! I'm jumping right into Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness! :) Thanks FJ for the recommendation! 

• Upvote 1

Just finished Skin Game by Jim Butcher.  (on audio).  

Honestly, this one wasn't as good as the previous 3 or 4 in this series but there was a moment when I literally snort laughed while driving.  (bringing me momentarily out of a funk)

• Love 1

I finished Shadow of Night and The Book of Life both by Deborah Harkness and absolutely loved them! Amazing beyond amazing! I'm starting on Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen! :) 

• Upvote 1

I am reading The Glass Lake by Maeve Binchy.  I have loved everything by her I read so far.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 1/27/2018 at 4:23 AM, Marly said:

I recently finished Kim Stanley Robinson's novel New York 2140. It's a near-future scifi heavily infused with realism, and I think it's a very good novel. The story is set roughly a 120 years into the future, and depicts a largely submerged yet still thriving New York city, in which the submerged parts have been and are still being adapted for habitation. The novel is a critique of global capitalism, and explores alternatives to this destructive system. Robinson considers capitalism to be an unjust and unsustainable system, and compares it to a kind of global Ponzi scheme, which ultimately cheats future generations.
Because it is so realistic, especially for a scifi story - for instance, it doesn't contain any elements that are physicially (and/or theoretically) impossible (the story completely adheres to the lawas of physics) - this novel is very accessible for readers who aren't accustomed to or don't prefer science fiction. The only thing that makes it science fiction, imo, is that the story is set in the near future, and that it portrays some technological novelties, which are all based on currently existing data, theories, and developments. 
I very much recommend this novel!

Thank you!  I appreciate the description and might want to read this one.  I really enjoyed a trilogy by the same author that also fits the 'realistic futuristic' genre -- which also focuses on climate change (I've heard it called 'cli-fi'): Forty Signs of Rain, Fifty Degrees Below, and Sixty Days and Counting.

Currently I'm working my way through Kate Wilhelm's Barbara Holloway courtroom mystery series on audiobook, and reading a standalone Kate Wilhelm book called The Good Children.  

While I wait for the next Wilhelm book to arrive, I've just started the audiobook of Lisa Scottoline's Every Fifteen Minutes, a psychological thriller which has me hooked.

Part of my decluttering goal for the year involves getting rid of at least a dozen books on my bookshelf that I don't want to keep but do want to read first.  I better get crackin' on those.

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 2

I’m on a history kick. Just finished a book about Abigail Adams and I’ve been slowly making my way through Ron Chernows Hamilton. Really good.

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic