IGNORED

What are you Reading (Part 2)?

keen23

I'm almost done (I have one more part of this audio to go) with Beth Moore's So Long Insecurity.  And it's making me ranty/stabby.  I was fine until she hit this part where she's talking about what men think.  Um this would be men that responded to a blog post she made so not really representative of all men.  And then she delved into this whole bit about being sure you don't dress provocatively if you are out with other couples because another woman's insecurity may be tweaked and you could tempt the other man and since that point, I just keep driving and periodically flipping off my car radio.  

• Upvote 3

Currently reading "Travels with Charley".

I have lived in the States for most of my life, and moved around quite a bit. Wanderlust is something I personally suffer from, so I am definitely enjoying this one.

• Upvote 2

I finished The Stand, which was absolutely awesome, and Misery. Misery wasn't as good as The Stand. I've started on Doctor Sleep, the sequel to The Shining, not very far in and I'm trying to really get into it. Still reading Rising Tides by Nora Roberts. 

• Upvote 3

Religion Gone Bad, The Hidden Dangers of the Christian Right by Mel White.  It's very interesting, I have not gotten too far into it yet.

• Upvote 1

On 18/10/2017 at 12:26 AM, Marly said:

Since it is a history or an autobiography, does it have to be a completely non-fictional history? Or can it be a fictional retelling of a historical event? 
I think you could argue for a work about 9/11 as a history, because 'a history' is basically a story about something/an event that has taken place, or someone's life story (which could be why it's paired with autobiography), regardless of how long ago that event took place. 

Historical fiction is another category, so I think for history/autobiography it needs to be non fiction. 

I'm looking at either 

Report from ground Zero (which is about 9/11) 

Or 

What Made Maddy Run

I'll probably end up reading both so between the two the category should be covered. Usually I set a reading goal for a number of books but this year I went for expanding my horizons. It's been an interesting venture especially since some of the categories are things I have never read before in my life.

• Upvote 1

Almost finished with the audio of Virginia Wolfs A Room of One's Own (recommended by someone I was in a critique group with a good 17 years ago that I finally bumped to the top of my reading list)

• Upvote 1

I just finished Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl.  

You should know that the University of Nebraska is a large D-1, Big Ten University surrounded by plenty of restaurants including pizza places. Lincoln is a city of 280,000+ in fact rather than the tiny middle of nowhere town with a small university and nowhere to get a pizza nearby that Rowell invented here. Since Rowell went to the university, her portrayal of it is a complete mystery. If she wanted a more isolated small school and town, there are real Nebraska colleges that would have fit that profile. Or make it fictional.

Her portrayal of all things Nebraska usually ends up making me stabby.

I am now working on White Oleander.  Beautifully written, but a brutal plot line so far.

• Upvote 2

On 10/29/2017 at 7:13 PM, MarblesMom said:

I am now working on White Oleander.  Beautifully written, but a brutal plot line so far.

That book was stunning. I still have not seen the movie as the book was just too good! It had such a haunting air to it. 

I go through phases of really enjoying mystery books and I just finished one of the Rizzoli and Isles paperbacks. Does anyone have any good mystery suggestions?

• Upvote 1

@merg429 I really enjoy both of the main MC Beaton series. Hamish McBeth and Agatha Raisin respectively. They are on the lighter side though. Very little gruesomeness and a dry sense of humour.

• Upvote 1

What I have not finished: Doctor Sleep :my_confused:

What I have finished: Rising Tides, Inner Harbor, Chesapeake Blue all by Nora Roberts. Wonderful Strange by Dale Jarvis, Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott, A Desperate Fortune by Susanna Kearsley, the Logan Series by VC Andrews, the first three books of the Cutler series by VC Andrews, The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks, and Only Dead on the Inside by James Breakwell. 

Currently Reading: Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places by Colin Dickey, Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, and in audiobook form Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley 

Edited by Carm_88
  • Upvote 2

On 11/2/2017 at 9:09 AM, Botkinetti said:

@merg429 I really enjoy both of the main MC Beaton series. Hamish McBeth and Agatha Raisin respectively. They are on the lighter side though. Very little gruesomeness and a dry sense of humour.

Thank you! I love a dry sense of humor, I will have to check those out. 

@Carm_88 -- How do you find Dr. Sleep? The Shining is one of my favorite books ever, but I have been nervous to pick up Dr. Sleep. I kept telling myself I would buy it when it came out on paperback -- which I believe has happened. 

Edited by merg429

I finished “A Match to the Heart” by Gretel Erlich, and also the first of my Stephen King trilogy, “Mr. Mercedes”.  Just getting started with the sequel, “Finders Keepers”.  Also currently reading an obscure little nonfiction book about EMPs (electro-magnetic pulses).  It’s poorly written but I think the science might be sound (we’ll see about that; I’m only about 20 pages in so far). 

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 1

I just finished Mrs Fletcher by Tom Perrotta.  The reviews said it was "hilarious" and I kept reading, waiting for the hilarity to begin.... meh.  It was an ok book, but not hilarious, imvho.

• Upvote 3

I've been enjoying a generally well-written space opera series by G. S. Jennsen.  One thing that really bothers me is the [over]usage of the word "prevaricate."  I don't know if it is supposed to mean something other than the typical "deviate from the truth," but it is sprinkled throughout all the novels in sentences like these:

"Not transportable?"  Malcolm raised his palms in prevarication.

Eren made a prevaricating motion.

"Comms don't work here?"  She made a prevaricating gesture.

Maybe there is another definition that I'm unfamiliar with, or this is just one of those oddities of the space-time continuum, but it sure bugs me.  Otherwise, I can recommend the "Aurora" series by G. S. Jennsen.  It's a fairly typical space-exploration/warfare space opera, but it's kept my attention through seven novels, one more to go.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

THIS!

I read a few romance novels (to keep up with the library peeps) and every other paragraph was the OVERUSED "she planted her hands on her hips" --- to the point I wanted to start counting the number of times it appeared.

• Upvote 4

Dan Brown.  Not the latest novel the last one I think.  I refuse to read him any longer.  He kept using the word “disorientated”.  I seem to notice things like that more in an audiobook than in reading print.  

• Upvote 3

On 11/4/2017 at 5:47 PM, merg429 said:

Thank you! I love a dry sense of humor, I will have to check those out. 

@Carm_88 -- How do you find Dr. Sleep? The Shining is one of my favorite books ever, but I have been nervous to pick up Dr. Sleep. I kept telling myself I would buy it when it came out on paperback -- which I believe has happened. 

It is indeed out in paperback! I just read the paperback. It was good, a little slow to get into at first. I think I just struggled with thinking of Danny as an adult. I read The Shining not that long ago, so he was still fresh in my mind as a kid. True Stephen King fashion though, it turns out well. 

I finished Ghostland as well, which turned out quite well. I like contemporary legends and ghost stories though. I'm now reading The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber. 

On 10/21/2017 at 5:51 PM, Carm_88 said:

I finished The Stand, which was absolutely awesome, and Misery. Misery wasn't as good as The Stand. I've started on Doctor Sleep, the sequel to The Shining, not very far in and I'm trying to really get into it. Still reading Rising Tides by Nora Roberts. 

There is a squeal to the Shining? I'll keep that in mind for a future library visit.  I'm reading Commonwealth by Ann Patchett. It jumps around in time a lot which can be a little hard to follow, but I'm really liking it.  Trigger warning: there is a death of a child which I didn't see coming.

• Upvote 1

@onekidanddone I had a hard time with The Commonwealth.  Jumpy, and too many characters for me!

I am reading Tara Road by Maeve Binchy.  This is the 4th book I have read by her.  I like her style, and it is very easy to get right into the story with her characters.  

2 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

There is a squeal to the Shining?

Best typo ever!  Yes, there is a squeal... but is sounds an awful lot like "redrum, redrum."  :)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

On 18/10/2017 at 10:40 AM, MarblesMom said:

I am in the middle of The Handmaid's Tale.  I cannot put it down!  Wow!

What a bleak predictor of a possible future....  but I just got hooked from the get-go with this book.

I finished that about a month ago and my copy is now working it’s way through my friends. And no, I didn’t watch the tv series.

Not sure if I have mentioned this before. My go-to feel good book is an autobiography by Anh Do titled “The Happiest Refugee”. Anh is an Aussie national treasure (author, comedian, actor, painter, all round awesome human) and this book is just bursting with emotion. I’m crying one second and laughing out loud the next. http://www.anhdo.com.au/

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

@onekidanddone I had a hard time with The Commonwealth.  Jumpy, and too many characters for me!

I am reading Tara Road by Maeve Binchy.  This is the 4th book I have read by her.  I like her style, and it is very easy to get right into the story with her characters.  

Best typo ever!  Yes, there is a squeal... but is sounds an awful lot like "redrum, redrum."  :)

Oh sheesh! Half the time I never even notice I've made the Teapos! :my_rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Currently Reading Turtles All The Way Down by John Green. 

I don't usually read a lot of young adult but I loved The Fault In Our Stars so I thought I would try turtles. 

So far it's amazing, highly reccomend. However his portrayal of mental illness (OCD) is almost too good and I'm finding it can be triggering for my own anxiety. 

Next on the list...

the sun and her flowers

what made Maddy run 

The lighthouse keepers daughters 

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic