IGNORED

What are you Reading (Part 2)?

keen23

I finished both 20th Century Ghosts and Nancy: The Story Of Lady Astor. I love a good biography and well, who doesn't like a good scare? They were both good. 

I'm starting on Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing and North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. (I love the BBC series...so I'm going to try and read the book!) 

• Upvote 4

I most recently finished the new Rosalind Noonan it was good but I had been looking forward to it for so long that I was a little let down. 

Currently reading The Child Finder and very much enjoying it. But it's taking me forever.

@Carm_88 I just had those all pop up in my goodreads because of other people reading them. #stalkedbybooks 

Edited by LacyMay
  • Upvote 2

I just finished "the glass castle " . Although I read years ago after it first came out. I couldn't find my hard copy anywhere. I love a real book in my hands but I have to admit my collection is impossible keep track of. Book shelves overflow some end up in boxes. I can't ever part with them.  So it is much easier for me to buy e-books. I have nooks and kindle. Just bought a new Amazon fire during prime day but for some reason I end up reading off my iPhone app ugh. 

I have the habit of rebuying books I already owned so having them as e-books does save me money. Plus the Amazon unlimited subscription comes in handy. 

I just had to re-read glass castle since I heard about the movie. I haven't seen it being played around here's but I'll have to wait for the DVD release anyway. I have over $100 in digital credits I need to use up though so I didn't mind buying "the glass castle " again. I noticed at the end it had previews from 2 more of her books. Has anyone read either of those? I saw the reviews on one of them "half broke horses"? ( not 100% sure on titles ) were pretty similar to "the glass castle " however the other book which from the preview looked really good to me. "The silver star"?  Didn't have such good reviews. So I'm undecided on buying either. But since I have these credits to use up if anyone's read them I'd love a opinion. 

Btw back to the original book. There were things I didn't remember from 10+ years when I first read it of course. But has anyone ever heard more about the land Jeanette's mother had? Towards the end of the book her mom claims it's worth a million dollars. But I never saw if she actually confirmed that. I didn't know if she's even given interviews or such that may of discussed it. 

Id love a follow up to "the glass castle" more about the kids adult life. We got a glimpse but since 2003 what's happened I'd love more on the siblings life as adults. It looks like maybe only the brother went on to have a child of his own. Makes we wonder if the kids childhood played into that ? 

• Upvote 1

@sassyNoz47 Half Broke Horses is the story of Jeanette Walls' grandmother. It's very good, it's similar to The Glass Castle in ways. There is a lot of hardship and  her grandmother does go through a lot. It's not the same kind of heartache as The Glass Castle in my opinion. Definitely worth reading. 

I haven't read the other book, so I'm not certain on that one! 

• Upvote 1

I just finished The Charm Bracelet, a yawny, emotional, unrealistic coming to terms with generational love.

I just started Penmarric ....from 1971.  Someone told me it is a major soap opera.... it is (as far as I can tell) a historical romance.  Not really my thing, so let's hope it gains some speed in the next chapter...

• Upvote 2

I finished Endurance, North and South, Carrie by Stephen King , and These is my Words by Nancy E. Turner. The last one may have made George RR Martin seem like he barely kills anyone. :( Good book though. 

I'm moving onto The Girl on the Cliff by Lucinda Riley and The Whistler by John Grisham. 

• Upvote 3

Today has been a reading day.  I finished two YA books (they were in the adult section and I will move them): Let It Snow, John Green.  Three entwined short stories about teens in a snowstorm. 

Secondly: What Light by Asher (13 Reasons Why author) - another teen romance.  Both were cute.

Penmarric is just sitting there, staring at me.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I just started Unbelievable by Katy Tur a couple of days ago (NBC reporter on the Trump campaign) 

1) I want to be her 

2) the more I read the more I actually can't believe that he's the president of the United States. 

• I Agree 1

Finished The Witness by Nora Roberts, The Girl on the Cliff by Lucinda Riley, and Love Anthony by Lisa Genova. I'm now reading Sea Swept by Nora Roberts. 

• Upvote 2

I am almost finished with A Man Called Ove.  I like it a lot more than I thought I would  :)

• Upvote 3

I’m on holiday so I’m indulging myself with what I call “chewing gum” books. Not a lot of substance, but they keep me entertained for a while.

I have just finished a couple by JD Robb from the Eve Dallas and Roarke “...in Death” series.

Also just finished The Handmaid’s Tale.

And I might re-read The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy too. 

• Upvote 5

I finished Looking for Alaska by John Green last night. It made me cry and I don't cry easily. I'm still reading the V.I. Warshawski series, and also the Harry Bosch series.

• Upvote 2

Finished The Lilac Girls, based on the true story of a NYC socialite and how she championed Holocaust survivors (among some other WWII books), and The Lives We Bury.  Now looking for something light and funny. ....

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Blahblah said:

I have just finished a couple by JD Robb from the Eve Dallas and Roarke “...in Death” series.

I bought pretty much the whole "In Death" series, then donated them to my mother-in-law so she could resell them for some needed cash.  Now, I have rebought the first couple books, since it is such a good series.  Love the chemistry between the main characters.

I enjoyed a non-fiction book by Edward Dolnick, "Down the Great Unknown: John Wesley Powell's 1869 Journey of Discovery and Tragedy through the Grand Canyon."  It was quite the adventure, with lots of interesting linked historical tidbits one could explore. 

There is a reference to the Mountain Meadows Massacre of 1857, so I'm interested in learning more about that, if someone knows of a good history book on the early Mormons.

• Upvote 4

I am not reading anything, and need some suggestions. Or perhaps I need to go comb through an old wishlist or something? I thought about Anne of Green Gables. I haven't read that since I was 11, though.  Not sure if I could get back into it. 

I wouldn't mind Lolita again.

I'm worried if I try to read the Heart is a Lonely Hunter I will get depressed, so I guess something with fluff is my best bet. I'm open!

• Upvote 1

What did you like about lolita? And what do you like to read in general? That might make it easier to give you some book suggestions!
I can really recommend Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, A Mercy by Toni Morrison, This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Díaz, The Romance Reader by Pearl Abraham. They are all completely different though, so it kind of depends on what you like, or what you feel like reading. Of these four I think you could only see Díaz' novel as a 'lighter read'. 

• Upvote 1

Zealot:  The Life & Times of Jesus of Nazareth (on audio) by Reza Aslan.  

Which I'm really enjoying.  Historical perspective of Biblical accounts and gives evidence that some stuff is just, well, wrong (and would not necessarily have been seen at the time as history).  

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17412891-zealot

I just finished one that kobo reccomended to me and it was awful, I won't name it because I don't like giving negative reviews but it was just so poorly edited, the plot could have been good but the editing and writing just wrecked it. Medical procedures were given the wrong name  (starting an IV line was referred to as intubating), the story of how a minor character was injured was changed halfway through, minor characters NAMES were changed... it just made it impossible to enjoy. I can deal with plotlines that I don't like. But poor editing is my pet peeve. 

I just started blackbird season by Kate Moretti though and I'm excited, I'm also waiting for my copy of Turtles All The Way Down  (the new John Green book) to get here and I'm very excited for that. 

Also FJ I need your oppinion, at what point is something considered "history"? I need to read a history or biography as part of my 2017 reading list and I have a couple books about 9/11 on my list, I'm wondering if they count or 9/11 is too recent? 

• Upvote 1

I am in the middle of The Handmaid's Tale.  I cannot put it down!  Wow!

What a bleak predictor of a possible future....  but I just got hooked from the get-go with this book.

• Upvote 4

I finished up Sea Swept and the Kindness of Strangers. Both were tough in their own ways. 

I'm now reading Rising Tides by Nora Roberts and The Stand by Stephen King. I'm going to be going horror-ish for the next while! :) 

• Upvote 3

I just finished a really fascinating book about how dogs are trained to be sniffer dogs, and in particular how they train dogs to find dead bodies, in search and rescue operations or similar situations.  It’s called “What the Dog Knows” by Cat (no irony intended I’m sure) Warren.

I’m almost ready for my annual halloween Stephen King-fest, this year to consist of the trilogy “Mr. Mercedes”, “Finders Keepers”, and “End of Watch”.

But first I’m about to start “A Match to the Heart” by Gretel Erlich.  It’s the true story of her being hit by lightning.  

Then the Stephen Kings.  

I’ve also just received the first in a series I plan to listen to on audiobook — it’s the Barbara Holloway series by Kate Wilhelm.  Legal-oriented detective mysteries set in Eugene, Oregon.  I listened to one a year ago and liked it, so now want to start at the beginning and work my way through.

And I too, @MarblesMom, have decided it’s time this autumn or winter for “The Handmaid’s Tale”.  Haven’t decided if I will read it or listen to it yet.

• Upvote 2

On 13-10-2017 at 9:56 PM, LacyMay said:

Also FJ I need your oppinion, at what point is something considered "history"? I need to read a history or biography as part of my 2017 reading list and I have a couple books about 9/11 on my list, I'm wondering if they count or 9/11 is too recent? 

Since it is a history or an autobiography, does it have to be a completely non-fictional history? Or can it be a fictional retelling of a historical event? 
I think you could argue for a work about 9/11 as a history, because 'a history' is basically a story about something/an event that has taken place, or someone's life story (which could be why it's paired with autobiography), regardless of how long ago that event took place. 

• Upvote 1

@Carm_88 One of my favourite books of all time is The Stand. Hope you love it. I read the original when it came out but enjoyed the reissue more.

I recently read The first fifteen lives of Harry August. Enjoyed it and have passed it on.

If anyone wants a " fluffy" recommend I loved the three books in A night in with series.

A night in with Audrey Hepburn. A night in with Marilyn Monroe. A night in with Grace Kelly.

Should be read in order and you just have to go with the central premise but I loved them.

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic