IGNORED

What are you Reading (Part 2)?

keen23

I am reading Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova. I've read Still Alice and Left Neglected both by her and both were heartbreaking but good. I'm hoping for the same. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/5/2017 at 10:08 AM, clueliss said:

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

I'm reading Still Life by Louise Penny. It's my first of her books but I like it well enough.

Yesterday I finished Indemnity Only by Sara Paretsky. I really enjoy series of books, and both of these have several others that follow.

• Upvote 2

The only Sara Paretsky book I've read is Bleding Kansas (I think that is the title) and  I read that one because it is set where I used to live.  She confessed to adding a few miles between Lawrence and Eudora Kansas.  I can just about drive around in that book.  

• Upvote 2

@Carm_88,  I saw the movie of Still Alice the other day on either Ovation or HBO, (Ovation, IIRC.)  If the book was half as heartbreaking as the film. then I'll be awash in tears.

I was reading the chapter "I'm Not Psychotic. I Just Need to Get in Front of You in Line" in Furiously Happy today and it made me think of Jeremy Vuolo who posted  some bullshit recently about how depressed people don't need meds, but Jesus.  Jenny Lawson could tear him a new one.

• Upvote 2

I started both The Shack and She's Come Undone and they are still here.

I will get to them.

I finished Never Let Her Go last week, which I had to read for a course. I really like the idea/theme that the novel explores, but I would personally have preferred a bit more worldbuilding. This novel has almost no worldbuilding. Still, it's very well written, and if you like works that address the question "what makes us/someone human", this is a good book to read.

I've started reading Submergence yesterday (have to read it for the same course), and so far I do not like it at all. 

Edited by Marly
  • Upvote 1

I finished Ghost Story in audio by Jim Butcher.  My only complaint about this novel is that I have heard every novel in this series on audio.  All read by James Marsters - who - for me - IS the voice of Harry Dresden.  This novel was not read by Marsters and therefore, while good, felt off.  

• Upvote 1

@Kailash @clueliss I've read most of the VI Warshawski novels by Sara Paretsky  There's even a (terrible) movie. It's been a long time though, I should re-read.  Did she finish the series yet? 

• Upvote 2

@Maggie Mae I have no idea if Sara Paretsky has finished the series.  I took it for granted that she's still alive, so more books in the series will be forthcoming. I could definitely be wrong.

I finished 3 books by Louise Penny, and I felt that each one got better. I'll continue to read the series for sure.

Right now I'm reading The Black Echo by Michael Connelly.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I started The Glass Castle today - am about 1/3 in.  Wow.  So much dysfunction... really gives a good perspective from the child's POV, so far, at least.

• Upvote 3

I'm reading The Fireman by Joe Hill. I finished The Glass Castle the other day and it's absolutely heartbreaking. :( 

• Upvote 2

@Carm_88, i *loved* The Glass Castle.  if you haven't read her follow-up, Half-broke Horses, i definitely recommend it.  it's Jeannette Walls' grandmother's story, and helps make sense of her mother's life choices.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, catlady said:

@Carm_88, i *loved* The Glass Castle.  if you haven't read her follow-up, Half-broke Horses, i definitely recommend it.  it's Jeannette Walls' grandmother's story, and helps make sense of her mother's life choices.

It is definitely on my list! :) So many good books! 

• Upvote 1

Apologies if this has come up before. I haven't read every post in this thread. Do you subscribe to bookbub.com ? It is FREE to sign up. You can specify your reading interests then you get a daily email with free or very cheap books to download that are within your areas of interest.

A lot of them don't appeal to me but I've downloaded enough that I'm happy to put up with a daily email from them. And a few unlikely picks turned out better than expected which was a bonus. It's a good source of  free downloads for holiday reading if nothing else.

http://landers.bookbub.com/covers/?source=gabrand_au&region=au&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9r7JBRCj37PlltTskaMBEiQAKTzTfGoUxAhVaPfxMgo5KheebIHOlrdaWGtaT6u9fzvfMaQaApTi8P8HAQ

Hope that link isn't specific to Aus.

• Upvote 3

@Blahblah I joined bookbub and downloaded a couple books on my phone. The daily emails got to be too much for me and I prefer holding a book in my hands. But some of the books were interesting and I wouldn't have come across them otherwise. I use goodreads.com to keep track of what I've read etc. I love seeing what other readers liked and their book suggestions based on stuff I've read is good. 

I read The Tea Planter's Wife by Dinah Jefferies and really liked it. 

• Upvote 2

I have just read (again) The Happiest Refugee by Ahn Do. 

Ahn is a bit of a national treasure in Aus. A Vietnamese refugee who became a lawyer but realised that his true calling was elsewhere. He is a talented comedian, tv presenter, portrait painter, children's book author (his series of WeirDo books is brilliant) and an all-round decent human being.

This autobiography can take you from laughter to tears in the turn of a page. It's my go-to feel good book.

http://www.anhdo.com.au/author.html

• Upvote 2

I finally ordered The Poisonwood Bible last  night, so that one is next on my list.

• Upvote 3

I need to get The Poisonwood Bible! :P I feel like it's recommended FJ reading! 

I'm reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Kailash said:

@Carm_88 The book about Henrietta Lacks is on my to-read list! Let me know how you like it. :)

One of the best books I ever read. The movie is amazing also, but I doubt you will understand it without reading the book first.

• Upvote 3

On 6/2/2017 at 6:50 AM, catlady said:

I finally ordered The Poisonwood Bible last  night, so that one is next on my list.

FANTASTIC read.  Uncomfortable at times, but aren't most things worth reading?!  I enjoyed it.

I am almost finished with The Glass Castle and all I can do is compare it to the Ns in every chapter, and have hope that one or more of Ns band together to escape.

• Upvote 3

On 6/4/2017 at 3:21 PM, Kailash said:

@Carm_88 The book about Henrietta Lacks is on my to-read list! Let me know how you like it. :)

Read the book! It's fantastic and heartbreaking, all the things that you need in a book that will make you go "Hmmm...!" 

I have now moved onto The Last Letter from your Lover by Jojo Moyes because I need a little love story and maybe a good cry. :P 

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic