IGNORED

Joe 'n' Carlin Sittin' in a Tree?

sophrosyne

5 hours ago, sockinshoe said:

Which, to me, is still kinda weird. Christmas is the one holiday where my family makes a point of being all together. And we're not even Christian! I just find it odd that you would ship off some of your kids at Christmas-- especially when they're not really doing that much the rest of the year and could travel then.

The reason a lot of families make a point of getting together at Xmas is that it is the one time of the year they can be together.  If you can be together at other times, it may be less important.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

The reason a lot of families make a point of getting together at Xmas is that it is the one time of the year they can be together.  If you can be together at other times, it may be less important.

Exactly. There's nothing special about a day when the whole family gets together when the whole family is together most days of the year. 

11 hours ago, notfundy said:

What is UP with these people and their sideways and backwards baseball caps?  

Michelle is stuck in the 80's so the Boys must be stuck in the 90s 

56 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Exactly. There's nothing special about a day when the whole family gets together when the whole family is together most days of the year. 

I agree with that in a more general sense, but isn't it more important if its one of the top 2 religious days of the year for you? So even though fundies are together most days of the year, i imagine that Christmas and Easter would be very important given their the pinnacle of their religion?? just asking! Happy to be corrected by those with much more knowledge, :) 

2 minutes ago, InThePrayerCloset said:

I agree with that in a more general sense, but isn't it more important if its one of the top 2 religious days of the year for you? So even though fundies are together most days of the year, i imagine that Christmas and Easter would be very important given their the pinnacle of their religion?? just asking! Happy to be corrected by those with much more knowledge, :) 

I don't know specifically about the ATI/Gothardites, but for a lot of Christian "fundamentalist" groups, Christmas has been far from a pinnacle.  Because it is not mentioned in the Bible and many of the observances have unquestionable pagan roots, it has been de-emphasized if not actually condemned.

6 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

I don't know specifically about the ATI/Gothardites, but for a lot of Christian "fundamentalist" groups, Christmas has been far from a pinnacle.  Because it is not mentioned in the Bible and many of the observances have unquestionable pagan roots, it has been de-emphasized if not actually condemned.

wow, i had no idea!! Thank you so much for your response @EmCatlyn

10 hours ago, InThePrayerCloset said:

I looked this up when someone asked another Christmas related question on a different thread. The SBC and other Baptist churches (the Duggars and the Bates have both claimed to be Baptist, I believe both have claimed to be Southern Baptist) didn't start celebrating Christmas until fairly recently, and some still don't. Many that do celebrate it much like modern Catholics would celebrate Valentine's Day or St Patrick's Day -- as in they understand the religious significance, but it's definitely not an important day of worship or anything. Many Baptist churches say that Jesus' birth was only important because he had to be born to be able to die and that there were many more important moments during and after his life. Therefore, for those in those congregations, Jesus' birthday celebration isn't going to be a huge point of religious importance. 

As for it being a day of the family getting together: with the exception of Alyssa and now Michaela, the entire family is together the majority of the year. Alyssa would likely spend Christmas in FL, rather than in TN, if they're of the brand that celebrates Christmas; especially since they have a daughter now and said daughter would be receiving presents that would probably be hard to cart on an off a plane or ship ahead of time. As for Michaela, I think she strikes me as more of the type who doesn't get all into Christmas because it really isn't that important to her faith; and, if she does, I'm sure she'd be more than happy to be spending it with her in-laws.  Therefore, I don't think it's really that weird for them to not be together on Christmas. If you can have an excuse to get away from at least some of the 24 people you see regularly, wouldn't you take it?

14 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm pretty sure that The Duggar's don't celebrate Christmas as us heathens do.  Can you imagine Christmas with that many kids? :pb_eek:

I thought that Christmas with my 7 cousins was mayhem. Though now that I sit at the Adults Table and can legally drink, Christmas with a lot of people is so much more pleasant.

Even in my fairly liberal Presbyterian church, Easter was a much bigger deal than Christmas. Christmas was nice and we definitely did a lot to celebrate it, but Easter was the religious pinnacle of the year.

Lawson is wearing shorts in that video, too.

And Alyssa and Mr. Alyssa were in Rocky Top in the days leading up to Christmas, if not on the day of; at least I THINK that's Kelly and Mr. Kelly's house in this picture:

Oh yeah, it says #Tennessee, too. :D

1 hour ago, halcionne said:

Lawson is wearing shorts in that video, too.

And Alyssa and Mr. Alyssa were in Rocky Top in the days leading up to Christmas, if not on the day of; at least I THINK that's Kelly and Mr. Kelly's house in this picture:

Oh yeah, it says #Tennessee, too. :D

Do Fundies all dress alike once they are a couple or married? I seem to remember a lot of matching shirts for Anna and Josh. Michelle and JB tend to match. Is this to prove they are "together" should anyone have a question? Seems a bit odd to me.

13 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

A lot of what they do is snarkworthy, but I can respect this, like how I can respect Christian Scientist adults who skip medical care for themselves (not for kids though!), not that I agree with it, but because they're following what they expect others to follow, even if it's detrimental to themselves.  Skipping holidays not in the bible?  Then no Christmas (what holidays does this leave?).  Believing God will heal you if you're meant to be healed, making prayer actually mean something more in their world than something you do while doctors save lives?  Then no medical care from doctors, even if it means dying.

40 minutes ago, Valerie3kids said:

Do Fundies all dress alike once they are a couple or married? I seem to remember a lot of matching shirts for Anna and Josh. Michelle and JB tend to match. Is this to prove they are "together" should anyone have a question? Seems a bit odd to me.

In a lot of East Asian cultures where PDA/premarital sexual contact is frowned upon, it's common for couples to wear coordinated or matching outfits as a way of broadcasting their relationship and showing their affection publicly without overstepping social norms regarding propriety. Maybe it's something like that?

4 hours ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

I looked this up when someone asked another Christmas related question on a different thread. The SBC and other Baptist churches (the Duggars and the Bates have both claimed to be Baptist, I believe both have claimed to be Southern Baptist) didn't start celebrating Christmas until fairly recently, and some still don't. Many that do celebrate it much like modern Catholics would celebrate Valentine's Day or St Patrick's Day -- as in they understand the religious significance, but it's definitely not an important day of worship or anything. Many Baptist churches say that Jesus' birth was only important because he had to be born to be able to die and that there were many more important moments during and after his life. Therefore, for those in those congregations, Jesus' birthday celebration isn't going to be a huge point of religious importance. 

The Duggars identify as "Independent Baptists."  I don't know about the Bates. But they seem to feel that the Southern Baptists are okay and will attend services at SBC churches.  I think Jill and Derek were attending a Southern Baptist church around the time of the Josh-gates.

Spurgeon (Ben Seewald's hero, not his infant son) was against the celebration of Christmas.  

A problem that fundies face nowadays is that they can't look down on people who celebrate Christmas (Christ's Mass) and at the same time insist that we have to "Bring Christ back into Christmas."  They have to pick. ;)

54 minutes ago, Valerie3kids said:

I think they do this for pictures.  These were taken when they were visiting the Bates right before Christmas so they probably took some promos for the show.  

17 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Bin's Idol, Spurgeon, was pretty anti Christmas.  I wondered if they'd continue to paint "happy birthday jesus" on stuff considering the named their child after the "prince of preachers"

7 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Bin's Idol, Spurgeon, was pretty anti Christmas.  I wondered if they'd continue to paint "happy birthday jesus" on stuff considering the named their child after the "prince of preachers"

It is my theory that Ben hasn't read that much Spurgeon, only the "greatest hits." :kitty-wink:

12 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

I think they do this for pictures.  These were taken when they were visiting the Bates right before Christmas so they probably took some promos for the show.  

from my memory, they usually have couples wearing complementary colours for promo photos, rather than completely identical shirts/colours... 

whereas the "couples" seem to wear identical colours for big events... but i could be totally wrong. 

see promo photos below :)

Bringing-Up-Bates-Season-2-spoilers-emerge-665x385.jpg

13 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

It’s hashtagged with Christmas Party. Maybe they had personal Christmas photos done earlier and wore the same outfit to the party. Personally, I’d have at least gone for some contrasting red or something, but I’ve seen similar in non-fundie Christmas photos.

21 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

I don't really think it's a fundie thing, fiancé and I are bad about matching each other. It may be a lot more intentional when fundie couples do it though.

I think kind of matching is cute for couples, like similar color schemes. But the matchy a la JoshNAnna during their courtship where I am convinced she bought a man's polo in a smaller size because they looked EXACTLY the same (or are there fundie stores where you can buy the same stuff??) is weird.

Upon searching for couples' clothing, I came across this gem that I am almost certain we would never see a Duggar in hahahaha

92e61e9948c9eada6427f5e13befc051.jpg

1 hour ago, FlamingFundie said:

I think kind of matching is cute for couples, like similar color schemes. But the matchy a la JoshNAnna during their courtship where I am convinced she bought a man's polo in a smaller size because they looked EXACTLY the same (or are there fundie stores where you can buy the same stuff??) is weird.

Upon searching for couples' clothing, I came across this gem that I am almost certain we would never see a Duggar in hahahaha

The Mickey Mouse hands on those shirts kinda freak me out

1 hour ago, FlamingFundie said:

Sorry for being a pedant, but if sex is happening without contraception the male risks having to share his top half with his kid :tw_tongue:

21 hours ago, HereticHick said:

The Mickey Mouse hands on those shirts kinda freak me out

Glad I am not the only one whose first thought was of how weird it is that the hands are Mickey's. 

On December 27, 2015 at 6:57 PM, EmCatlyn said:

The Duggars identify as "Independent Baptists."  I don't know about the Bates. But they seem to feel that the Southern Baptists are okay and will attend services at SBC churches.  I think Jill and Derek were attending a Southern Baptist church around the time of the Josh-gates.

Spurgeon (Ben Seewald's hero, not his infant son) was against the celebration of Christmas.  

A problem that fundies face nowadays is that they can't look down on people who celebrate Christmas (Christ's Mass) and at the same time insist that we have to "Bring Christ back into Christmas."  They have to pick. ;)

I'm imagining baby Spurgie dressed up as the grinch with green face paint. That would be pretty darn cute.

Archived