IGNORED

Experimenting with Photography

Claddagh

I've never taken a photography class, though I wish I could!

I was experimenting around with the digital camera and came up with these two. That is when Bill cat wasn't trying to perch on my table cloth. :shifty-kitty:

titanicprint1small.JPG

titanicprint2small.JPG

Cool! Reproductions, I'm assuming. Otherwise you've got a goldmine of collectibles there. :mrgreen:

I took up photography a couple of years ago and love it. I have no plans to ever go professional but I love taking classes, both in person and online with some very accomplished instructors. The online ones have actually been quite good. You're always asked how you like to be critiqued--ranging from soft-pedaling everything so as not to offend the special snowflakes to brutal honesty. I go for brutal honesty every time so the feedback I've gotten has always been helpful. lynda.com also has an awesome series of courses by Ben Long that I highly recommend. In-depth studies of everything from exposure to composition to lenses to black and white and so on. I've also got a lot of books I can recommend if you're interested.

I have three cats so I sympathize. When I need to use my lighting set up, I've got to lock myself away in the spare room and put up a lot of petulant yowling until I'm done. Love the cats...

Cool! Reproductions, I'm assuming. Otherwise you've got a goldmine of collectibles there. :mrgreen:

I took up photography a couple of years ago and love it. I have no plans to ever go professional but I love taking classes, both in person and online with some very accomplished instructors. The online ones have actually been quite good. You're always asked how you like to be critiqued--ranging from soft-pedaling everything so as not to offend the special snowflakes to brutal honesty. I go for brutal honesty every time so the feedback I've gotten has always been helpful. lynda.com also has an awesome series of courses by Ben Long that I highly recommend. In-depth studies of everything from exposure to composition to lenses to black and white and so on. I've also got a lot of books I can recommend if you're interested.

I have three cats so I sympathize. When I need to use my lighting set up, I've got to lock myself away in the spare room and put up a lot of petulant yowling until I'm done. Love the cats...

Heh. The only thing authentic to the time period I have there is the post card of the man.

The ring I bought at a fair last year and everything else is either vintage or a reproduction.

Like you I don't plan on going professional but practice and learning is always fun.

If anyone has any constructive criticism to help me improve, please tell me. There's a huge difference between saying "you can do this, this, and this" and saying "I hope your nostrils are chewed off by a gang of ravenous piranhas!"

I knew one lady a few years ago who was definately a special snowflake type. She'd threaten anything from she'd stop drawing to self harm at the slightest idea that someone may not say she's a great artist. She's got talent but she needs to practice and work with it.

Thank you for the link. I'll be sure to check it out. :) I'd appreciate any book titles and I'll look into them.

Athena is definately the worst as she'll get on anything that I leave out.

ETA: I just found a copy of "Digital Photography for Dummies" and ordered a copy. It was on half price so yay!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yeah I took a two day class a couple years ago. It gave me the knowledge to use the other modes on my camera besides just automatic (I have an Canon EOS Rebel). I learned how to use things like aperture or shutter priority to take good pictures, even in low light conditions - and how to make adjustments to avoid having blown out pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

I've taken a couple of online classes with Nick Kelsh (his Basic class, which I won during one of his free webinars, and Going Manual). Lots of people rave over his classes, but I guess I had a less than stellar experience. They gave a lot of good info, but the personal critiques were either non-existent or lacking. When I was taking Going Manual, he took off on vacation for 2 weeks and left the course to his assistant. Been looking for other books and free or inexpensive classes ever since.

I'm a pretty boring photographer, sadly, so I really need help. lol

Claddagh, what kind of camera are you using? An SLR/DSLR or a point and shoot?

I have a Lensbaby - I was playing around with it at the State Fair in Des Moines while we watching the horse competitions.

I call this one Warp Speed, Mr. Ed!

post-14576-14452000943428_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I found my mom's old 35 mm camera the other day.  After I took the long dead batteries out and put fresh ones in the camera actually turned on and stuff worked.  I decided to see if it's still able to take pictures or not.  So yesterday I picked up a role of 35mm film and am taking pictures with the camera now.  I'll have to see how they turn out once I'm done with the film.  No it's not taking the place of my Rebel T5i.  But I thought it'd be neat to take a few pictures the old fashioned way.

oc.jpg

I have a couple of old Brownies - not sure they work anymore, but they are cool to look at.

I have a couple of old Brownies - not sure they work anymore, but they are cool to look at.

My cousin showed me a trunk today of camera equipment that belonged to my great uncle that my aunt and uncle were storing after my great aunt passed last year. One of the cameras was a Brownie. My cousin asked if I was interested in anything in the trunk and I said I was interested in all of it. She's going to ask her parents if I can have the trunk then. I'm not going to sell any but get a collection going if I can have em.

• 3 weeks later...

I still have my EOS 50D and should start taking some more pictures! :) I should eventually upgrade my DSLR to one with video. 

I actually inherited some film cameras, so maybe I should try to use them, but I am used to digital. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ooh, a photography thread! I love taking photos, though I don't get out and do it as much as I should even though I almost always have my camera with me.

I have an Olympus OM-D EM5 Mark II. I can never remember where the hypens go when typing that out. It's a mirrorless micro 4/3, which is great because it has a cool vintagey look and is small, especially with a small prime lens on it. I really need to get my previous cameras together and see if I can trade them in for credit at the local camera shop, I've got my eye on a new lens.

I also have an old Canon film SLR from my college photography class, but it badly needs service so I don't use it. I'm kind of casually looking for a medium format film camera to play with. My grandfather had a Voightlander one he brought home from Germany after WWII, that I really really wanted. It's the ONLY thing I wanted from his estate. Unfortunately my younger cousin wanted it too, so they gave it to him since it's "all he wanted" and he's the only boy. I'd have been fine with just borrowing it for a couple months to take some photos with, but they bundled it out of state before letting me know he had it. Grr. He's not even so much as put film in it. /whining

Archived