IGNORED

The Maxwell girls love to bake!

SPHASH

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honorable mention for the phrase "Thanks, mom, for grabbing this picture." 

I love the awkward, forced, artificially "casual" tone that the Maxwells try so hard to use in their posts. 

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

New post up.  Sarah and Anna baked truffles today sans Mary. Memo to Sarah:  wear some fucking gloves!

I've got lots issues with the maxwell's (Steve I'm looking right at you), but I'm ok with no gloves. I wash my hands before I start cooking and clean up as I go (I'm especially careful to wash produce carefully and to be careful about raw meat) but I never wear gloves, even with messy projects like truffles and no one has ever developed a food borne illness from my food. Are gloves a thing? Should I go stand in the prayer closet in penance?

edited: because of typo ( fixed wish to wash)

I never used gloves. They aren't even legally required for restaurants why should I? Also I have ridiculously little hands,  never ever found gloves of the right size.

23 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Sarah looks pretty in these pictures. Her smile seems genuine.

I was just thinking the same thing. She looks relaxed and refreshed in a way she hasn't looked for a while.

4 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

I never used gloves. They aren't even legally required for restaurants why should I? Also I have ridiculously little hands,  never ever found gloves of the right size.

Where do you live where they're not required for restaurants? I don't have an issue if people don't want to use them in their own home, but I work in food service, and if we didn't wear gloves the Health Department would throw a fit so big you'd hear the explosion clear across the country.

I never wear gloves when I cook unless I'm working with hot chilis. I'm a very hands-on cook, especially with bread dough, and I'm fanatical about making sure my hands, equpment and all surfaces are scrupulously clean. Honestly, given the way I've seen some food service people work with gloves on (like not taking them off to handle money—blech), I think sometimes we're better off without 'em.

They've pulled it.  When I went to the December archives it showed there were 9 articles however the latest one didn't show up.  Now the December archives show there are 8 entries.

1 minute ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

They've pulled it.  When I went to the December archives it showed there were 9 articles however the latest one didn't show up.  Now the December archives show there are 8 entries.

I can still see it, but I saved it to the wayback machine just in case.

So that means that it is 5:30 Kansas time on a Sunday and Sarah is working on the blog.  Interesting.  I guess Sunday is not so sacrosanct.

I hope Sarah runs off when one of her police officers and/or trash guys. 

Re: Gloves...I use gloves for handling raw meat because I don't like touching it, but for something like truffles, I would not. Actually I just made "lumps of coal" (a.k.a. Oreo cocoa rice krispie treat balls) and at first tried to wear gloves because I didn't want sticky marshmallow cocoa puffs all over  my hands...but it turned out to be 100% easier to roll the balls when I gave up on the gloves.

3 minutes ago, sophrosyne said:

Nike!

Is it just my truffle smudged mind, or does Anna have a FOX-Y baker thing going on?

DSC_2616-1-425x284.jpg

Well, her apron IS a little light against her hips...

29 minutes ago, Trynn said:

Where do you live where they're not required for restaurants? I don't have an issue if people don't want to use them in their own home, but I work in food service, and if we didn't wear gloves the Health Department would throw a fit so big you'd hear the explosion clear across the country.

At least up until a couple of years ago they weren't required in Montana. Something about how studies show that people who cook with gloves on don't change them as often as they would wash their hands. Like, if you have a gob of sauce on your glove it might barely register and you could just wear that same glove and keep spreading the sauce around as you touch other things. But if you get a gob of sauce on your finger, you're going to notice and wash it off.

I haven't been in food service for a few years now so the guidelines may have changed and I'm way too lazy to google it.

Regardless, getting some truffle mess on her hands probably feels decadent and exciting for Sarah. Given how regimented their lives are, rolling truffles and getting messy probably comes dangerously close to having f-n.

21 minutes ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

So that means that it is 5:30 Kansas time on a Sunday and Sarah is working on the blog.  Interesting.  I guess Sunday is not so sacrosanct.

I've wondered about that too, but perhaps they do the Jewish thing and the Sabbath starts at sundown the night before. 

FJ is tagging this as a "hot" thread. I don't consider the Maxwells as being much more than tepid. Maybe it's Anna's risqué apron?

I live in Italy and last time I checked gloves weren'trequired. When I had to qualify on food processing protocols for work reasons (I've never actually worked with food though but our internal quality system reqired that  I had the certification) there were a shitload of hygienic measures to take but no gloves. I think it makes sense, if you wash your hands often with antibacterial soap, surfaces and tools are clean and the food is processed and stored in the right way there's really no need for gloves.

I can see it.  Am wondering if there are specific reasons why police officers and trash guys are on top of their list of service people who blessed them this year.  Did they generate more garbage than usual?  Did someone respond badly to their proselytizing?

37 minutes ago, Mary C Doates said:

FJ is tagging this as a "hot" thread. I don't consider the Maxwells as being much more than tepid. Maybe it's Anna's risqué apron?

It's about how many posts in a short period of time. :)

9 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

It's about how many posts in a short period of time. :)

Naw, it's Anna's smokin' hot Happy Hooker Homemaker chutzpah.

2 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Sarah looks pretty in these pictures. Her smile seems genuine.

She has weary eyes.

2 hours ago, bertnee said:

"lumps of coal" (a.k.a. Oreo cocoa rice krispie treat balls)

recipe please?

On the basis of it looking clean, I'd eat food in Maxhell, before I would eat at TTH

Archived