IGNORED

Mary and Joseph and the (Operation) Christmas Child

blessalessi

6 hours ago, Lynni87 said:

I think it's actually kind of nice Mary gets to do this without Sarah and Anna there. They're together 24/7, 52 weeks a year. Some time apart might do her some good! If Joe and Elissa plan on taking trips like this somewhat regulary, maybe they can bring Sarah next time and Anna the time after that, so they all get the opportunity?

Me too. It's not a trip that I would want to make, but I'm sure it's and exciting adventure for her.

2 hours ago, meee said:

Off topic: I've wondered for awhile, do any of the Maxwells have middle names? I don't see them mentioned anywhere on the blog (except the grandkids), and it was NR-Anna and not R-Anna who had to change, as well as NR-Anna's sister I think? Do the kids just not have other names to go by so they have to make others do it? (not touching the topic of whether changing other people's names is okay, just curious about the Maxwells' names in particular.)

I hope that made sense. Please excuse typos and rambling, I'm not feeling well.

They have middle names though I don't know what they are. If you search them on whitepages.com they have middle initials. John's middle initial is S so I would guess Steven. Steve's middle initial is K, which I'm just going to go ahead and assume is for krazy-pants.

Edit- Opps, Steve's middle initial is R, not K. Really-krazy-pants?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Steve would view the children of his daughters as true "Maxwells" --- after all, once ownership is transferred, the offspring would belong to the husband and his family... I think that is part of why Sarah is single. ''Toss in the apparent history Steve has of not working and playing well with others -- leaving jobs and churches over not getting his way or feeling judged--and it may be hard for him to find another family where the men agree to comply forever with how he expects them to treat him oh, and his daughter. 

They have surprising middle names.  Sarah Rae, for example.  They were discussed in an old thread, though I can't recall when it came up because I read it from the archive.  The topic was on Steve's mother and father's obituaries and it led into a discussion of family names.

7 hours ago, Lynni87 said:

I think it's actually kind of nice Mary gets to do this without Sarah and Anna there. They're together 24/7, 52 weeks a year. Some time apart might do her some good! If Joe and Elissa plan on taking trips like this somewhat regulary, maybe they can bring Sarah next time and Anna the time after that, so they all get the opportunity?

Yeah God forbid that Sarah-- a 33 year old with a driver's license and her own income-- should think about going herself.  No, that is crazy talk.  No woman could possibly drive herself, stay in a hotel by herself, and manage her own meals.

When I read about this trip I have to admit it made me happy for Mary even though giving someone the gift of working as a volunteer seems bizarre to us.  A change of scenery, being around other people, eating out, getting away from her parents-- these all sound like great birthday gifts to me. It's just too bad that her life is  so crappy that merely leaving the family for a few days is an exciting treat.

I suspect if any of the daughters marry and have children, that Steve and Maxwell will be likely name choices for boys.  Of course the husband(s) would have to agree, but any husband approved by Steve should agree.

OT, but was there any revelation following Steve's 10-day fast?

I'm glad that Mary will to spend some time away from Mommy and Daddy.  Agree with those who think they'll be staying with friends/family and Mary will be babysitting.

It still amazes me that Steve thinks suitable husbands are just going to appear on his doorstep one day for his daughters.  Of course, he could just be honest and confess that he does not want his daughters to marry and has prevented it at all costs. It's actually quite hypocritical and, based on the Maxwell beliefs, unscriptural. If they believe it is biblical for men and women to "leave and cleave" and bear children, why is he preventing his daughters from doing just that??  If Mary is indeed courting and will be married soon, I think he hopes that will serve as damage control; but it won't work, in my opinion.   He should have allowed Sarah a life that gave her the opportunity to marry and have children, if that is what she wanted.   

In a different line of thought, I've often wondered if Teri is the one who doesn't want the daughters to marry. I think she's overwhelmed at the prospect of managing a home without them. Also, I think the work and stress involved in planning a daughter's wedding would definitely overwhelm her.  Perhaps she feels incapable of dealing with all that and Steve doesn't want to deal with anything that would further depress Teri. Then again, Steve's never seemed concerned about what is best for Teri so what do I know?  

Steve has said before, he is not going to lift a finger to find spouses for his kids. He fully expects God to "arrange a meeting" when/if the time is right.

2 hours ago, Dru said:

They have middle names though I don't know what they are. If you search them on whitepages.com they have middle initials. John's middle initial is S so I would guess Steven. Steve's middle initial is K, which I'm just going to go ahead and assume is for krazy-pants.

Edit- Opps, Steve's middle initial is R, not K. Really-krazy-pants?

Steve is Steven Ray. I don't know what Teri's middle name is, or if Teri is just a nickname; I suspect it's her birth name. 

The rest are: Nathan James (James was the name of Steve's stepfather), Christopher Lloyd (seriously!), Sarah Rae (named after Steve I guess?), Joseph Howard, John Steven, Anna Elizabeth and Jesse Paul (named after Steve's biological father it would appear). I don't have a middle name for Mary. 

This was found on Ancestry.com (not by me, but I don't remember who) a while back when it came out that Steve was adopted by his stepfather. He wasn't originally a Maxwell, though I forgot to take a note of his biological father's last name. 

I also have all the grandkids' last names if anyone is curious. 

I actually think that Joseph and Elissa taking Mary away for a few days shows us more about how now Joseph is married he is an adult. There ya go boy, you have a wife and an arrow so clearly you are all grown up. Whereas a year or so ago you couldn't decide what to eat or where to go, now being all married you have free rein.  

44 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

The rest are: Nathan James (James was the name of Steve's stepfather), Christopher Lloyd (seriously!), Sarah Rae (named after Steve I guess?), Joseph Howard, John Steven, Anna Elizabeth and Jesse Paul (named after Steve's biological father it would appear). I don't have a middle name for Mary.

Christopher Lloyd? :wow:

44 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Steve is Steven Ray. I don't know what Teri's middle name is, or if Teri is just a nickname; I suspect it's her birth name. 

This was found on Ancestry.com (not by me, but I don't remember who) a while back when it came out that Steve was adopted by his stepfather. He wasn't originally a Maxwell, though I forgot to take a note of his biological father's last name. 

I also have all the grandkids' last names if anyone is curious. 

Wow, thanks, I've been curious about this for awhile! The grandkids I think I know... Susannah Joy, Abigail Faith, Bethany Hope, Christina Mercy, Andrew James, Joshua Christopher, Ruthanne Elizabeth, Lydia Joy, Calia Grace, that's all of them, right?

1 minute ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Christopher Lloyd? :wow:

Right? WTF?! 

1 minute ago, meee said:

Wow, thanks, I've been curious about this for awhile! The grandkids I think I know... Susannah Joy, Abigail Faith, Bethany Hope, Christina Mercy, Andrew James, Joshua Christopher, Ruthanne Elizabeth, Lydia Joy, Calia Grace, that's all of them, right?

Right, except you've got Abby and Bethany's middle names mixed: it's Abigail Hope and Bethany Faith. 

2 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Right? WTF?! 

Right, except you've got Abby and Bethany's middle names mixed: it's Abigail Hope and Bethany Faith. 

Ahhh, so close! Thanks.

Pardon my ignorance but what's wrong with Lloyd? I mean, I don't like the name but why WTF?

BTW, there's a new post of Mary packing Christmas boxes. She actually looks like she's really enjoying herself. 

Sarah, or any of them, could drive one hour to the nearer regional offices of Operations Christmas Child and volunteer, IF that was what they wanted to do.   Blue Springs, MO has the same volunteer opportunities as Denver. 

There is a comment which says they are staying with family/friends.

Mary does look really happy to be there.

I was so hoping the Christmas Child story was a pretext for Joe and Elissa to pry Mary out of Steve's clutches and take her to Vegas. But no, looks like it's true, just more drudge work, only with a change of scenery. And no Steve. Yay.

I'm planning a Christmas present trip for me and my kid, and it cannot be any different from poor Mary and Joseph and Ofjoseph's trip. My son is so damn excited he could pop, and we're going to listen to racous rock music all the way, stay in a hotel with a pool, eat what we want when we want, and just generally enjoy our time together and have fun.

The Maxwell trip sounds like punishment, not a reward.

59 minutes ago, Sobeknofret said:

I'm planning a Christmas present trip for me and my kid, and it cannot be any different from poor Mary and Joseph and Ofjoseph's trip. My son is so damn excited he could pop, and we're going to listen to racous rock music all the way, stay in a hotel with a pool, eat what we want when we want, and just generally enjoy our time together and have fun.

The Maxwell trip sounds like punishment, not a reward.

Unless Mary sneaks out to enjoy a little Rocky Mountain High, if you know what I mean.

Also, hell yes to raucous rock music playlists for road trips, pools, not-bland food, and doing whatever the hell you want! I personally got a whole lot more stoked about my Christmas trip home after I found out that after opening presents, Christmas Day is going to be me, my mom, my sister, my grandma, and my aunts watching campy bad movies, doing at-home facials, and eating tons of leftovers. The boys might join, or go off to do something else (I'd join them just to defy gender roles, but I can't resist facials and bad movies).

57 minutes ago, Trynn said: Daddy tapes? What the heck are those? Are those like the tapes my dad would make for me when he went on a business trip, wherein he told funny jokes so I could laugh/hear his voice even though he was gone?

Prepare yourself. 

http://articles.titus2.com/daddy-tape/

I don't get it...: this sounds like things you'd want to discuss with your child in person.... What is the point of these tapes I don't understand.

4 minutes ago, Trynn said:

I don't get it...: this sounds like things you'd want to discuss with your child in person.... What is the point of these tapes I don't understand.

I'd get them if the dad was, say, dying (there was this tearjerker Thai insurance commercial that showed a terminally ill man making videos for his unborn/newborn son and oh god I'd look for it but I'd rather not have my heart shredded into a million pieces), on military deployment, or something like that, but Steve and Nathan seem to be in fine enough health. Talk to your damn kids, you lazy assholes.

4 hours ago, anjulibai said:

BTW, there's a new post of Mary packing Christmas boxes. She actually looks like she's really enjoying herself. 

She looks like she's only wearing one shirt, which I can only assume is Elissa's bad influence.

6 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I suspect if any of the daughters marry and have children, that Steve and Maxwell will be likely name choices for boys.  Of course the husband(s) would have to agree, but any husband approved by Steve should agree.

OT, but was there any revelation following Steve's 10-day fast?

I'm glad that Mary will to spend some time away from Mommy and Daddy.  Agree with those who think they'll be staying with friends/family and Mary will be babysitting.

In the book In the Heart of the Sea, Nathaniel Philbrick cites Dr Ancel Keys's 1945 study of starvation.  The volunteers were mostly members of the Church of the Bretheren and many of them hoped that this period of semi-starvation would enhance their spiritual lives.  However, it did the opposite: the volunteers reported that the experience coarsened them and that their moral and social veneers were surprisingly thin.  I can't imagine that Steve's fast would have been any different.

Archived