IGNORED

Mary and Joseph and the (Operation) Christmas Child

blessalessi

Joseph and Elissa have arranged to take Mary to volunteer at the OCC depot in Denver, Co., as a graduation gift.

Sarah tells blog readers to "look out for Mary and Joseph!" at the OCC processing days this weekend. :my_biggrin:

I want more details on where they will be staying, on a road trip without Stevus!  Who will chaperone Mary and protect her from the hotel mini-bar during the 3-night stay?!

Answers on a future blog post, please, Steve! ;)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vast numbers of mo/hotels don't have a minbar.... I don't recall-- do some of them still require a key that they give you at the desk, which would be declined.  (Assuming they don't get a room with 2 beds, and she just sleeps in the same room  as her brother and his wife. Thus she doesn't turn on the beast out of curiosity. 

It is interesting that they are going to Denver, when there is also an  OCC regional office in Blues Springs, MO (a suburb of Kansas CIty. )  50 miles vs 600 miles.  Perhaps a courtship opportunity in Colorado? 

Calia looks like she's over it, already. On the plus side the flower on her headband doesn't appear to be as massive. Maybe Stevehovah thought that they (Elissa & Joseph) were making an idol of them.  

I was joking about the minibar. ;)

I suppose sharing a family room is no more icky than sharing a bus with the entire family, but it would be pretty weird all round to have your baby sister in the room with your wife!

I wonder if Elissa has family or friends in the Denver area, since she will be with Calia while Mary and Joseph wrap Christmas presents for the baby Jesus.

They did a conference in Loveland, 50 miles from Denver last year.  Maybe they are staying with a family nearby?

Although it is volunteering for a horrible charity, it is the closest thing to a job Mary will probably ever have.  And a long trip from Leavenworth. She must feel like her Christmas and birthday have come at once!

16 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Dollars to doughnuts there's a godly young man involved. 

Oooh you think? How exciting for Mary!

36 minutes ago, Justme said:

Wooh Hoohhh... I'm going to take you someplace where you can WORK! Happy Birthday!!

The Maxwells sure know how to live it up!

I thought this was strange, too. But then I realized, they will go out to eat and have something other than a bean burrito. :boom:Happy birthday.

Why would it be over the top for Joseph to share a room with his wife and sister?  I can't even begin to count how many times I have shared hotel rooms with sisters, BILs, nieces, cousins, and Partridges in Pear Trees.   Forget friends, aunts, etc.   Travel is expensive, I wouldnt pass up a vacation lest I could not secure everyone's eyes.

3 minutes ago, AreteJo said:

Why would it be over the top for Joseph to share a room with his wife and sister?  I can't even begin to count how many times I have shared hotel rooms with sisters, BILs, nieces, cousins, and Partridges in Pear Trees.   Forget friends, aunts, etc.   Travel is expensive, I wouldnt pass up a vacation lest I could not secure everyone's eyes.

The Maxwells split into boys and girls only groups for exercising in neck-to-ankle clothing!

I don't personally see anything wrong in sharing a room but given the fundie attitudes to sex, I can't see them being all that comfortable.

Plus, Joe is as smug, entitled and grabby as all hell. I can't se him sharing his marital bedroom with anyone, if there was an alternative. 

Looking back on the blog though, at the 2014 loveland conference, there was a photo taken with "relatives". They were also friendly with the coordinators, so I imagine they have options for godly (and free) accomodation.

Courtship?:pb_lol: you're all silly! Maxwell girls don't court, they just care for Steve and Teri until they die!

You don't have to eat out.  Pack a cooler and bring along an electric frying pan and you can do every meal from your room.  You can heat water in the coffee pot and make instant oatmeal.  You can butter bread and toast it like a grilled cheese sandwich, and make eggs and some precooked sausage warmed up in the pan.  You can butter and fry up bagels or english muffins and make breakfast sandwiches.  You can heat up the filling for the burritos in the frying pan and layer the tortillas over the top to warm them up.   

We travel on the cheap and own several blow up mattresses for extra sleeping spaces.

When my husbands brother passed away in Florida, he and his two sisters flew down there along with my adult son, and their other sister  and some cousins flew in from other states.  I made them a reservations at the Homewild Suite for a room that had a separate bedroom with two full size beds, there was also a hide a bed couch in the living room, and two people slept on the air mattresses they packed in a large suitcase with extra pillows and blankets from the hotel.  The suite had a full size stove and fridge, dishes and a microwave.   It was a lifesaver for the people on smaller budgets.  The hotel had a great breakfast buffet, and they did sandwiches for the other meals.    

1 hour ago, ladyamylynn said:

Dollars to doughnuts there's a godly young man involved. 

Sarah is Steve and Teri's servant and Anna is their cook/assistant servant. If any of the Maxwell girls were to marry, my money is on Mary. And soon, so the wedding pictures posted on the blog can feature bright-eyed young bride Mary. 

I am often the third wheel in a hotel room with my sister & brother in law. I don't think there is anything inherently odd about it, but it is non-Maxwellian.  The girls and boys are so separated I can't imagine it happening. 

If only they were donating their time and energy to a legitimate charity that actually did some good. But, I suppose, since "Christian" is tagged on, it's all good to them. Gotta' have a healthy dose of hell & the bible with all charitable contributions. 

For high school graduation my oldest niece went to Spain with her Spanish club from school. My nephew went on a European tour trip with classmates. (Damn spoiled kids). But the point is, they were adults and treated as such. There were chaperons on the trips, but no siblings and not everyone's parent chaperoned. I'm glad my nieces & nephews have better opportunities than I ever did and of course, better than any Maxwell. 

I know this was Mary's graduation gift, but I think it would have been nice if Anna and Sarah could have gone too. They helped with the boxes and might also enjoy a trip. I wonder if anybody even considered letting them go and/or inviting them. It would mean more accountability if all three girls went and, if they are staying in a hotel, the room assignments would be easier since Mary clearly can't stay in a hotel room alone. The newlyweds could have a room with their baby and the three girls could have a room. 

Wait. Can three Maxwell daughters stay in a hotel room without an "adult"? 

When she said to look out for Mary and Joseph I was thinking for a brief second that Joseph and Elisa were going to be working while dressed up in costume as the Mary and Joseph. You know, being Christmas and all, lol. I don't kniw why this was my first thought, but it was.

Perhaps they're staying in an Embassy type place, or a cheap knock off. Separate bedroom/living room with a pull out, free breakfast, etc. So she's still with them, but not too with them.  I'm sure in all reality they're staying with friends or family though.

3 minutes ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

I wonder if they will make Mary babysit one night while the Smug Marrieds go out for dinner?

I bet they will. Or maybe she will volunteer to babysit. 

Mary is making an idol out of Operation Christmas Child. Better watch out or Steve will no longer allow you to participate.

I cannot believe that Calia is wearing blue with a small pink headband. Shocked because blue is a boy color in fundie land.

A trip is a nice graduation gift and Mary really seems to love OCC. Did the other children get a trip when they graduated?

All hell must be breaking loose at the Maxwell's.

Steve must really trust Joe that nothing bad will happen to Mary. I don't think Steve would trust John with Mary. 

I agree that they must be staying with a family friend because I don't see that family willing to pay for a hotel.

I wonder how they entertain themselves on the journey. Are they allowed Christian music or is it the bible on tape?

Maybe Mary will actually learn what should be donated. No winter hats, gloves or candy. No could only hope.

I am sure that Sarah is sad that she didn't get to go, but Steve couldn't let all of his girls go on the trip. He needs someone to cook and clean for him. After all, it is all about Steve and his needs.

12 minutes ago, Antimony said:

I imagine if they bought 2 rooms, Elissa and Mary will stay in one and Joseph, THE MAN, will handle sleeping alone. 

More likely Mary will get stuck in one room with the baby while Joseph and Elissa work on blessing #2 in the other room. :brainbleach:

35 minutes ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

I wonder if they will make Mary babysit one night while the Smug Marrieds go out for dinner?

I thought about that but would Mary be allowed to stay in a hotel room alone with the baby? Is she even allowed to be alone? I know we learned that Sarah was allowed out by herself but who knows how old she was when she was first allowed out alone.

It would have made more sense for just the three sisters to make the trip but they likely can't go too far from home without male protection. 

Archived