IGNORED

Maxwells at the *symphony!*

Marian the Librarian

It must have been a novelty to have an evening out that didn't involve their music ministry or their Dad preaching. I'm glad they seemed to enjoy themselves; it's fun to attend special events around the holidays.

That picture of Melanie and Nathan, though? His...eyes...sear...my...soul!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Season of life... said:

That picture of Melanie and Nathan, though? His...eyes...sear...my...soul!

YES!! I don't find Nathan or Christopher to be attractive at all but oh my word, Anna Marie is pretty. 

I need to make a teeny-tiny Dogloo and put it in my creche.  I've got a teeny Lab to go with it, but she's usually hanging on the tree.

14 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

It's a dog house. Actually called a "Dogloo". As to what it is doing there I cannot say, but whoever organizes this event doesn't seem to put much emphasis on historical accuracy, regardless of what Poor Sarah thinks.

That's what made the post so amusing to me. First we get Sarah's set-up line: "I still find it a marvel to step back in time and experience a taste of what Bethlehem might have been like 2000 years ago," then we get the pictures of the actual event.  Robed white ladies wearing glasses.  Milled pine walls. Fairy lights.  Dogloo. Why it's just like taking a time machine back to Bethlehem 2000 years ago! What?  They didn't have fairy lights when Jesus died? They should have.

35 minutes ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

That's what made the post so amusing to me. First we get Sarah's set-up line: "I still find it a marvel to step back in time and experience a taste of what Bethlehem might have been like 2000 years ago," then we get the pictures of the actual event.  Robed white ladies wearing glasses.  Milled pine walls. Fairy lights.  Dogloo. Why it's just like taking a time machine back to Bethlehem 2000 years ago! What?  They didn't have fairy lights when Jesus died? They should have.

How do you know they didn't?  Were you there?  /creationist snark off

19 minutes ago, VVV said:

How do you know they didn't?  Were you there?  /creationist snark off

Too late it can't be turned off!

Billions of dead things buried in rock layers laid down by water all over the earth!

It's designed to do what it does do, what it does do it does do well...

16 hours ago, DaffyDill said:

Wow! I am so surprised they went out to an event like this...and actually appeared to ENJOY themselves! Dare I say...they had FUN?

I am so glad for the girls that Steve softened his sheltering stance, or took a chill pill, or relented, or whatever the hell he did to allow them all to go. Those poor girls need this sort of colour in their lives.

My Christmas wish for the girls: May this just be be the first of more outings for them.

It sounds to me like the fun outing was just for the married couples and the unmarried women's ears weren't sullied by worldly musici?

I thought you’d enjoy these selfies. Nathan and Melanie were able to go to the Messiah Thursday evening, and Christopher and Anna Marie Saturday night. Of course, baby-sitting was happily provided on our part!

26 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

It sounds to me like the fun outing was just for the married couples and the unmarried women's ears weren't sullied by worldly musici?

They went Friday night. 

A post is up with the recipe for Myocardial Infarcation salad.  It says not to make it if you have many little ones, as it takes a long time.  It doesn't seem like an overly involved or time-consuming recipe to me, but then again, I do not have little ones...

This is a really minor point but I'm confused as to why a Walk Through Bethlehem included an empty bed symbolizing the Resurrection.  December is not the right time and Bethlehem is not the right place.  Also I never pictured the empty tomb as including a bed with sheets and a pillow.

Teri's Favorite salad has been posted.

I will caution. Because it’s time-consuming to prepare, it’s not for the busy mama with lots of little ones. I’ll start with pictures and then conclude with the recipe.

As usual the Maxwells make a big song and dance about something very minor.  In this case making hard boiled eggs, a salad dressing, and layering it with some other vegetables (I would say "No thanks" to the uncooked frozen peas) is hardly time-consuming.  I could knock that out for my 12:00 lunch if I started at 11:45.  They have two pictures of Teri cutting lettuce and promise to blog later on the "pizza cutter tip."  Here's a tip to Sarah:  you are showing a picture with the pizza cutter cutting the lettuce.  Is there really more that needs to be said?

So here is my tip for a tasty salad: home made ranch dressing with finely chopped pickled sushi ginger.  It makes a great salad with grilled chicken, bacon and lettuce.  Rather than "layer" it, however I prefer to put the salad in a mixing bowl and stir it thoroughly with a fork so as to evenly coat the lettuce and other ingredients.

Well there you go; one couple went one night, the "children/chidults" went another night, and the other couple went another night. Oh yeah, Joseph and Elissa went with the other siblings. Pity they can't have all the kids be babysat at the same time; oh yeah, they never DID explain why. Clashing schedules? Or they just can't handle them all at once?

Well, that they all got to go, just at different times, that's better than nothing. And symphony players normally have VERY professional uniforms that cover them up well; no modesty issues.(except, of course, if the female players wear pants) Usually all black so no "eye traps". So if there's any "worldly" stuff to see it'd be in the other audience members.

I hope Steve spoke in a very low voice, if he needed to tell the Maxclan to close their eyes, or cover their ears, to avoid being led astray by any sinful behaviour on the part of fellow concert-goers. :)

11 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

A post is up with the recipe for Myocardial Infarcation salad.  It says not to make it if you have many little ones, as it takes a long time.  It doesn't seem like an overly involved or time-consuming recipe to me, but then again, I do not have little ones...

My Mom used to make Seven Layer Salad every once in awhile for BBQs and pot lucks and such. It is a guilty pleasure of mine. The way my Mom made it, the "dressing" was actually just Miracle Whip. And she put in tomatoes and grated sharp cheddar, so hers was actually a nine layer salad. It was a rare treat when we got to eat it, as my Mom to this day remains a staunch healthy foods advocate. I wouldn't call it time consuming, unless you're really bad at chopping and dicing, as it involves a lot of chopping. Y'all, I have been following the Maxwell blog and laughing at them for a decade. Ten years is exactly how long it took for them to post something that I actually approve of. They need some cheese in that salad though. Maxhell is Seven Layer Salad without sharp cheddar! 

9 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

My Mom used to make Seven Layer Salad every once in awhile for BBQs and pot lucks and such. It is a guilty pleasure of mine. The way my Mom made it, the "dressing" was actually just Miracle Whip. And she put in tomatoes and grated sharp cheddar, so hers was actually a nine layer salad. It was a rare treat when we got to eat it, as my Mom to this day remains a staunch healthy foods advocate. I wouldn't call it time consuming, unless you're really bad at chopping and dicing, as it involves a lot of chopping. Y'all, I have been following the Maxwell blog and laughing at them for a decade. Ten years is exactly how long it took for them to post something that I actually approve of. They need some cheese in that salad though. Maxhell is Seven Layer Salad without sharp cheddar! 

And don't forget the cheese paper!!

52 minutes ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

T

Teri's Favorite salad has been posted.

As usual the Maxwells make a big song and dance about something very minor.  In this case making hard boiled eggs, a salad dressing, and layering it with some other vegetables (I would say "No thanks" to the uncooked frozen peas) is hardly time-consuming.  I could knock that out for my 12:00 lunch if I started at 11:45.  They have two pictures of Teri cutting lettuce and promise to blog later on the "pizza cutter tip."  Here's a tip to Sarah:  you are showing a picture with the pizza cutter cutting the lettuce.  Is there really more that needs to be said?

So here is my tip for a tasty salad: home made ranch dressing with finely chopped pickled sushi ginger.  It makes a great salad with grilled chicken, bacon and lettuce.  Rather than "layer" it, however I prefer to put the salad in a mixing bowl and stir it thoroughly with a fork so as to evenly coat the lettuce and other ingredients.

What is sad (not only for the Maxwells, but also for me for remembering this) but they have already talked about the pizza cutter to cut lettuce trick before.....

For the record, you could find various versions of that salad in any church cookbook from the midwest, in fact any one given cookbook probably has about five different versions of it.

I bring salads every day for work, I like peas in it, so I buy frozen ones and steam them and season with a bit of salt and pepper.  I can't imagine using raw frozen peas.

Oh for the love of Pete! I've made that salad a gazillion times; sometimes with a baby on my hip and a preschooler "helping" me.  Of course, I'm just a heathen mother of two so I guess I'm allowed to make it.  Frankly, I don't like Sarah's little statement that this is NOT for moms with lots of little ones.  Define "lots" please.  I can't decide if she's being bossy or if she truly can't comprehend that a woman with a large family could pull off....um....a salad??

I can picture it now. A young mom with...oh, say...seven children arrives at a supper to welcome the Maxwells to a host church where they are holding a conference. She hands Teri a seven layer salad. Teri and Steve look at each other. They silently count the children.  They purse their lips and excuse themselves while they pray over whether they should eat the salad. 

It IS Teri's favorite; BUT there were "lots of little ones," and that mama certainly had no business making it. Plus, there's no way to know if she cut the lettuce with a pizza cutter.   WHAT WILL THEY DO?!? Because they did caution people, ya know. 

If I know I'm going to make the salad for a holiday, I might boil the eggs and chop things ahead of time (I use red onion instead of green).  I've been known, when I needed a dish quickly, to use a jar of bacon bits instead of cooking bacon slices, and I always top the salad with grated cheese and a few crumbles of bacon. I just like the way it looks with some color on top. 

Crap. Now I'm craving seven layer salad. I actually think I have all the ingredients in my fridge at this very moment. 

They actually need to consult a recipe card to make that salad? Seriously? And as much as I adore vegetables, that salad with its thick layer of whatever on top couldn't be less appealing to me. 

2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I assume you mean Infarction.

Just now, CyborgKin said:

I assume you mean Infarction.

Yes, I did.  I added an extra letter--it's been a long day.  Thanks!

Just now, ViolaSebastian said:

Yes, I did.  I added an extra letter--it's been a long day.  Thanks!

You're welcome :D (I can't help but riffle through other people's riffles.)

1 hour ago, sparkles said:

They actually need to consult a recipe card to make that salad? Seriously? And as much as I adore vegetables, that salad with its thick layer of whatever on top couldn't be less appealing to me. 

Yeah, there was a comment about you'd want second helping and I thought No, not even a first helping.

I'm incredibly concerned.  If this is Teri's favorite salad does that mean it is an idol??? I'm afraid this salad may be keeping her from thinking about the lord. :my_huh:

I would love to know what recipes are considered appropriate for a mother with lots of little children.  Are hot dogs too involved?  They require boiling AND condiment usage.  Is PBJ too much?  Two kinds of sandwich fillings might be over the top...

Archived