IGNORED

Cats and Trees

47of74

My sister sent this photo along of my fur nephew Marvel underneath the tree.  She was wondering how long until he attacks the tree...

tree.thumb.jpg.1dcff51dc981062b27257e470

Let the festivities begin.

Oh yes, that tree is going down...

We had to stop putting up Christmas trees several years ago. We had an inkling it wouldn't go well when we finished decorating and noticed all four cats had huge, dilated eyes even though they were staring into the tree's lights. 

Our cats don't typically get along, but they worked together to redecorate that tree.

Oh yes, that tree is going down...

We had to stop putting up Christmas trees several years ago. We had an inkling it wouldn't go well when we finished decorating and noticed all four cats had huge, dilated eyes even though they were staring into the tree's lights. 

Our cats don't typically get along, but they worked together to redecorate that tree.

The first year my sister and brother-in-law had the little Marvel man they didn't put up a tree at all.  They were away celebrating their honeymoon then and they weren't sure how he would act with a tree around - especially if they weren't there.

Their other cat Maggie doesn't usually bother trees too much other than playing with the lowest branches.  Neither did my late fur niece and avatar kitty Morgan.  Morgan more liked Christmas trees as hiding places to get away from humans than things to climb on and wreck.

Surprisingly, my feline headship doesn't climb the Christmas tree. At most he slaps the ornaments on the bottom when he's on a rampage. He's not much of a climber. The top of the couch seems to be his limit.

That cat clearly has claimed the tree skirt as his new bed.  Note the possessive 'mine' paw stance grabbing the thing.

Three six month old kittens. The tree wasn't even up for half an hour before they climbed it. It wobbles every time Izzy, Mittens and Amber jump on it, climb on it, fight over it or try and chew the branches. Im going to have to pull them off it to decorate it, and once it is covered in cat toys baubles and lights they are going to have even more fun.

Get it out of the box. Kittens play in it and hide in its branches.

kitten%20tree%204_zpsiqq1m9vf.jpg

Izzy and Amber want to climb the tree.

kitten%20tree%203_zpshajr9zwd.jpg

Amber kitty on the tree.

kitten%20tree%202_zps1c9wr9lh.jpg

Mittens normally doesn't climb as much as the other two, as she has left the curtains alone so far, but the other two keep climbing them.

kitten%20tree%201_zpsov0qw4up.jpg

We used to anchor the tree to the wall behind it (using eye hooks and tree wire) Because the fat cat wouldn't stay out of it, and would knock it over otherwise.

We used to anchor the tree to the wall behind it (using eye hooks and tree wire) Because the fat cat wouldn't stay out of it, and would knock it over otherwise.

We do the same thing-we've had a cat knock one over trying to get an ornament. Now we mostly have to do everything we can to prevent the cats from drinking the water under the tree. We inevitably fail every night after we go to bed or leave the house-we can't watch them 24/7!

We do the same thing-we've had a cat knock one over trying to get an ornament. Now we mostly have to do everything we can to prevent the cats from drinking the water under the tree. We inevitably fail every night after we go to bed or leave the house-we can't watch them 24/7!

A fake tree solves the water drinking problem (and also allows me to forget about the tree and leave it up until mid-February).

My feline headships prefer to sleep on the tree skirt, and since I have a fake tree, I don't worry about the water drinking issue. If anything, they play with some ornaments, in particular, a jumping Jack Santa ornament, as it has that string hanging down. That ornament gets put at the bottom just for them to play with. Now, my brother has a kitten that loves to climb his screen door, but he's always had a smaller tree that he puts on a card table. Hopefully that will be enough to prevent that kitten from climbing that tree, as his other cat has never been interested in the tree. The reason he's had a small tree like that is that he's in an apartment.

When I was younger and my parents still had real trees, one year they got a tree that was too big for the stand, and as my Scottie was sitting on his couch looking out of the living room window, the tree fell on him. First, you heard the crash and the sound of the dog running.

A fake tree solves the water drinking problem (and also allows me to forget about the tree and leave it up until mid-February).

That is true, but we like having a real tree. (most of the time!)

This thread makes me wish we weren't cat-less at the moment.  Our Molly would climb the tree and several of our other cats did as well.  The cats also batted the ornaments around.  The cats drank from the stand, of course.  Our terrier, Lucy drank from the stand, too, and she would steal candy canes off the tree to hide somewhere in the house to dig out in July.  She would sit under the tree as would our Maine Coon. The cats have gone to the Bridge now (some recently and some years ago) as has Lucy.  This Christmas is going to be weird with no cats and no Lucy.

I am a bit tempted to get some leaded icicles (the nice heavy ones) from the Vermont Country Store since we don't have cats this year, but hopefully they'd have to be put away after this Christmas.  Cats and tinsel don't mix.

I'm also suddenly pet-free this holiday season. Sadly, my dog passed away very suddenly this week. I know he would have enjoyed sniffing around at everything. My bridge kitty loved to rub underneath the branches of the tree. 

I love the pics and stories in this thread. :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, SledCat.  It's such a hard adjustment to make, especially (I imagine) when it happens unexpectedly.  I wish you comfort as you move through the season.

It's been 2 days, and our tree and decorations are still up. However, the feline headship has claimed the decorations box as his new bed.

I don't even have a cat, but my neighbour has five, one of whom likes my terrace sofa for some alone time. (He's welcome - the kitten at home drives the poor thing crazy!) I don't know what he will make of the tree - it only went up today, on the terrace.....:tw_worried:

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, SledCat.  It's such a hard adjustment to make, especially (I imagine) when it happens unexpectedly.  I wish you comfort as you move through the season.

Thank you, church_of_dog. My only (very small) consolation is that he didn't have to suffer with a lingering illness. I've had beloved pets go down that road, and it's also hard. Either way, we never have long enough with them. Appreciate the good thoughts.

Orange Cat loves to curl up on the tree skirt and that's about it.  Kitten (who is clearly not a kitten at 4 years old and 19lbs) loves to bite through the glass lightbulbs however, so this will be the 4th year in a row that we do not put up a tree.  Even sprayed the tree with a bitter rosemary spray that is supposed to deter cats from sampling, but you'd have thought we poured delicious gravy on it with the way that Kitten reacted.  

Kind of depressed about the no tree situation frankly.  

Try a fiber optic tree and plastic ornaments. There not as easily destroyed as electric strand lights and glass ornaments.

Archived