IGNORED

Woman Tapes Dogs Mouth Shut

FJismyheadship

https://www.facebook.com/fbrdr/2048/100004883925173/?src=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fprofile.php%3Fid%3D100004883925173

this story has been making the rounds. Katie Brown taped her dogs mouth shut with the caption "This is what happens when you dont shut up!" She was called out on it, police were called, and Katie had dissappeared.

Why didn't she use a muzzle?  Why tape?  What is it with people and duct taping animals and kids?  And then bragging about it on social media with pictures to prove it?

Janet Souza
Janet Souza Hey drop your negative comments and mind your own business. If you can do better go to the shelter an adopt. Make a difference and shut your mouth

1 · 1 hr
Jessica Ann St. Gelais
Jessica Ann St. Gelais Janet I'm going duct tape your damn mouth shut you dumb bithc

Janet Souza
Janet Souza Ohh that was clever. Never abused an animal in my life. I bet you buy your dog food from the supermarket 
My furry kids get the best food care and treatment so go away

Jessica Ann St. Gelais
Jessica Ann St. Gelais No I make my dogs food and yes I rescued... so you can go duct tape.your mouth and defend this awful.woman you.wont win this just shut it!

This made me laugh a bit.  "I bet YOU buy your dog's food at the supermarket!  MINE gets Special Snowflake!"  "Nu-uhhhh!  I MAKE my dog's food!"

I am surprised someone claiming to be all about special foods and everything would defend what happened. 

I went to Brown's Facebook page to see that post and her friends ripped her to shreds. 

I will never understand why people do stupid stuff and then post it for everyone to see. 

As much as I am horrified by both what this woman did to her dog and by her seeming lack of ability to understand the problem, I do kind of feel for her.  I don't know how much unfriending has occurred, but she currently has 54 fb friends - her post was shared over 300,000 times in the past day or two.

On the other hand, she is apparently my age (mid 40s) and needs to take responsibility for all of it (including her apparent lack of awareness of how social media works.  I mean, good FSM - her page is still viewable to the public and the post is still up and she seems to be intent on insisting she is right and bashing everyone who disagrees).

She's been arrested, or so I noticed on a post on FB. Link doesn't seem to lead to a story that says that has actually happened though.

When I checked it out yesterday, she had 98 friends. Then later that day When news outlets started picking it up, she had 74. This morning she had 54.

i think the slow decline is partly due to the story picking up steam and anyone on her friends list getting nasty messages.

I saw that post and nearly threw up. Poor baby looks just like my lab. Sassy as mine can be it would never cross my mind to do that. I hope sincerely she was arrested and that sweet lab removed from her home permanently. 

I do kind of feel for her.

I have to ask...why do you feel for her?  

I just looked at the picture and was absolutely horrified.  As in, right now I am in tears and I had to go hug my dog.  I am just heartbroken for that sweet pup.  She needs to be arrested and put in jail as far as I'm concerned.

the pic was nothing I saw a pic of a rescue dog with a taped muzzle with its tongue hanging out and it was so tight and they figured it was like that for two or three days, it was so bad.

According to the comments on some of these articles she also abuses children. There's a post on her page (not sure how far back) of where she knifed her sons neck for something and took pictures. He "learned his lesson" too.

Oh hey she finally took the dogs picture down.

After three days.

After the entire interwebs has seen it.

After the manhunt begins for her arrest.

At this point what good does it do to take it down?

This is either a big joke or there is one seriously disturbed person out there who may do God only knows what next.

According to the comments on some of these articles she also abuses children. There's a post on her page (not sure how far back) of where she knifed her sons neck for something and took pictures. He "learned his lesson" too.

Oh hey she finally took the dogs picture down.

After three days.

After the entire interwebs has seen it.

After the manhunt begins for her arrest.

At this point what good does it do to take it down?

Not surprising if it's true. She's the same type person that would come up with some stupidly inappropriate way to discipline a child, and then post and brag about it. With her lack of judgement and the fact her discipline methods are inappropriate and cruel I hope she's raised enough red flags that the well being of living things in her home will be checked up on frequently. I doubt she'll face jail time, though.

I have to ask...why do you feel for her?  
I just looked at the picture and was absolutely horrified.  As in, right now I am in tears and I had to go hug my dog.  I am just heartbroken for that sweet pup.  She needs to be arrested and put in jail as far as I'm concerned.

I totally agree with you that it is horrifying and that she needs to be in jail.  I was feeling like maybe viral public vilification wasn't a great thing, but if it is necessary to either lead to her getting caught or to raise awareness of the problem, that works for me.

Honestly, my comment stems from issues I have with social media in general, nothing to do with trying to minimize or condone cruelty towards animals or animal torture or abuse (though it probably does sound that way).

I hope the authorities catch up with Brown and arrest her. Maybe under her mugshot the police can put, "This is what happens when people do stupid shit and post it on Facebook."

I hope the authorities catch up with Brown and arrest her. Maybe under her mugshot the police can put, "This is what happens when people do stupid shit and post it on Facebook."

I sometimes thank the Gods for stupid people (especially in this case, when it can potentially stop the abuse of an animal). Barking is natural to a dog, but if there's truly an issue w/excessive barking there's proper & humane ways to go about it.

Reading her FB page-I don't think this woman is all there.  Her pictures and posts just do not seem to be that of a functioning adult.  I really hope the authorities take the pets out of the home.  

Last I heard, law enforcement is still looking for her, so she hasn't quite been arrested. It would be interesting if FB actually took that picture down, since when people reported that picture, they were told by FB that it wasn't violating their guidelines.

Last I heard, law enforcement is still looking for her, so she hasn't quite been arrested. It would be interesting if FB actually took that picture down, since when people reported that picture, they were told by FB that it wasn't violating their guidelines.

I reported it. Got a message from FB last night, that they had removed it and would inform her that they had, without telling her did it. I don't imagine I was the only one though. I think they must have to hit a certain number of complaints in their algorithm before something happens.

I reported it. Got a message from FB last night, that they had removed it and would inform her that they had, without telling her did it. I don't imagine I was the only one though. I think they must have to hit a certain number of complaints in their algorithm before something happens.

A friend of mine had posted it, & I reported it, too (I was surprised to get an actual response from the FB team about it; they must've gotten a ton of complaints).

A friend of mine had posted it, & I reported it, too (I was surprised to get an actual response from the FB team about it; they must've gotten a ton of complaints).

Replies are automatic.

City of South Daytona has been so inundated with calls that they are now posting updates to their Facebook. The most recent post reads:

UPDATE ON FACEBOOK DOG POSTING: Our Department continues to actively investigate this case. We have determined that Katie Brown’s real name is Katharine Lemansky. Because Lemansky owns property in both Florida and Connecticut, it is difficult to determine where she is actually living at this time. We continue to keep in contact with Connecticut authorities. The local property in South Daytona appears vacant and is currently under code enforcement action. At this time we do not know Lemansky’s location, but will continue to follow all leads. The Department has reached out to Lemansky’s family and friends and requested that if they have contact with her, that they urge her to bring the dog into the nearest police station so that the well-being of the animal can be determined. Once Lemansky and the dog have been located, the case will be reviewed and applicable charges as allowed by law will be filed. It is important for everyone to know that this case is a high priority and will be handled as would any other criminal investigation.

Just throwing this out there because this comes up a lot in cases, I'm not hand slapping, I just really want you guys to have this information.   The absolutely worst thing you can do is report anything to facebook.  The second worst thing you can do is comment/share/or in any way interact with the poster of an image or video.

In order to prosecute a case like this police and prosecutors need to prove when it happened, where it happened, and who did it.  Venue is absolutely essential in a case like this, so the location from where she posted it is pretty much the crux.  If they cannot prove that it happened in Florida and not Connecticut, its dead, and vice versa. There is no federal cruelty charge and possession of the picture is perfectly legal.

Assuming that the police in either jurisdiction were alerted in time to file a preservation request they will serve facebook with a search warrant.  Facebook has up to 30 days to respond.  Once they get the information surrounding the posting of the picture they will issue a second search warrant for either the ISP if they cant track it back to her easily, or a search warrant for the device that posted it if they can.  They will need to find the original image and pull the metadata from it in order to prove venue.  Without that, any lawyer worth their degree will argue that venue cannot be proven and the case will not succeed.  If someone was click happy and facebook pulled it before the police filed the arrest the case is dead. Period.  It cannot be retrieved, facebook is VERY open with law enforcement that deleted means deleted.

People need to chill.  These cases take time to do correctly.  If the police department gets fed up with all the "arrest her now" facebook pages and just closes it by arrest nothing is gained, except they dump the media storm on the DAs office without finishing the investigation. 

/rant 

Archived