HerNameIsBuffy

First off - I'm a whore for anything based on the premise of A Christmas Carol.  It's a totally overused trope and I love it,  and if they suck I'll love to hate it.

Best movie version?

Best Scrooge?

Best Cratchitt?

Best Mrs. Cratchitt?  Cratchitt littles?  

Best ghosts?

Best urchins? 

And because I'm feeling the Christmas spirit...hottest Scrooge in flashbacks.  Basically a Who would you do of Ebeneezers.

and conversely (and more fun to discuss) the worst of the above?  

FYI, I'm not a fan of the message.  I'm all about helping other people when you can and not being a raging dick if you don't have to me...but when you're in the business of loaning money forgiving everyone's debts isn't going to leave you with anything to loan others you could help...in short order you're bankrupt doing that.  And I get that times were hard but hating someone and wishing death on a creditor just because they expected you to meet your agreement says more about those people than Scrooge.  My housepayment isn't forgiven every 25th of December and I don't wish a fiery eternity to the lender.

worst ever was I think a 1970's musical something or other I used to see on TV.

One of my favorites has Patrick Stewart as Scrooge.  I think Joel Gray may have been in that one.

Also a stand out was a version I've only seen once or twice set in the great depression US with Henry Winkler as Scrooge.  

I haven't seen most versions, but since there's a Muppet version, I'm going to go ahead and say that version is the best. Then again, I think all Muppet versions of anything are the best. :pb_lol:

I'd really like to see the one with Patrick Stewart though. I love PS.

Best movie Scrooge for me will always be Albert Finley, followed by best stage Scrooge Patrick Stewart.

Best Tiny Tim was the animated on done for Mr MaGoo's Christmas Carol.

Best Ghost of Christmas Present was in the Albert Finley version.  A magnificent Father Christmas hiding those terrifying children (need and want) under his robes.

Best Bob Chratchet was the animated one for Mr MaGoo's Scrooge.

• 2 weeks later...

Alastair Sim is hands down the best Scrooge ever. Favoutite moment: "I must stand on my head." Then the housekeeper goes screaming out of the room. Awesome movie.

Those Cratchit kids were pretty lame in that version, though. 

Dr Who version  - Dr Who:A Christmas Carol with Michael  Gambon (Dumbledore!) as the futuristic Scrooge, and shark pulled flying sleighs -wheeeee!:my_biggrin::my_biggrin:

Alistair Sim definitely my favorite Scrooge, but I adored the PS and Winkler productions.

Best Ghost...for sure Sim version with C, Present and those starving children in his great coat. Such an impact visually no matter how many times I've seen it.

The Alastair Sim version is widely considered to be the best Scrooge ever.  I know a dear friend who loved it, but I'm not sure I've ever seen the Sim version.  TCM always shows the '38 MGM version with Reginald Owen as Scrooge and Gene Lockhart, his wife Kathleen and daughter June as three of the Cratchits (Bob, the Mrs, and Belinda.)  TCM also shows the 1935 Scrooge with Seymour Hicks who had also played Scrooge in a 1913 silent version.  Two things of note about this version: it is the first sound version (other than a short, now lost) and Hicks plays both young and old Scrooge.  Albert Finney did that too, but Hicks did it first.  TCM also shows A Carol for Another Christmas which was written by Rod Serling and the three ghosts teach an industrialist about the importance of peace. Some of the ghosts are casualties of previous wars.  This adaptation was made in 1964 during the Cold War. 

The version I am most fond of is the 1984 TV version with George C Scott as Ebenezer Scrooge.

Love Christmas Carol! I've played Fan (Scrooge's little sister) and Martha (oldest Cratchit child), always wanted to play Belle. 

I love the Muppet Christmas Carol! And the Kelsey Grammar movie musical. 

Mr McGoo's A Christmas Carol is wonderful even if it is animated.  I love the song:

we'll have the Lord's bright blessing

of knowing we're together

knowing we're together

heart and hand

we'll have the widest Christmas

the very brightest Christmas

a Christmas far more glorious than grand

On 11/27/2015 at 3:17 PM, clueliss said:

worst ever was I think a 1970's musical something or other I used to see on TV.

One of my favorites has Patrick Stewart as Scrooge.  I think Joel Gray may have been in that one.

Also a stand out was a version I've only seen once or twice set in the great depression US with Henry Winkler as Scrooge.  

The Henry Winkler version is apparently on Youtube.  I found it while I was binge watching as many Christmas carols as possible off of you tube.  I haven't yet watched it, because I am waiting for hubby to be home to watch it with me. 

I agree with the musical version being iffy.  Not my favorite.  

I also will admit liking Bill Murray's version Scrooged....   

And, I just found Carol for Another Christmas....on youtube... will be watching this with my husband as well, as he's the movie buff, and OMG!!! the actors in it -- a cast of 60's characters.  Sterling Hayden, Eva Marie Saint, Ben Gazzara, Peter Sellars and Britt Ekland.... Henry Mancini did the score?  

Yep, will be sharing this one with the spousal unit.... 

Archived