IGNORED

Maxwell Thanksgiving Post

Dru

Pioneer Girl is great not just for the insight into Wilder's life, but also for the details about LHOP's drafting and publication history. Wilder's daughter, Rose, was her editor, and a very interesting person. Their negotiations about what to revise and what to remove from the manuscript are fascinating!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

15 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

seriously!  Although speaking of scandalous..real life Almanzo kinda hot in an 19th century kinda way...not gonna lie.  Way better looking than the actor who portrayed him (no offense to Dean Butler.)

All offense to Dean Butler.  He's a fundy-supporter.

I finally got the button post up, and was shocked.  I talked to my own husband about how much he notices women's legs with slits in skirts or pants, and he said he only notices slits if they'd up to the crotch.  Otherwise, a body's a body and isn't inherently sexual, and pants are common enough to be easy to not notice.  He asked why, and I told him why I was asking, and then he asked don't those people believe the god they worship made bodies, and if he did, why are they trying to make his work into something bad and shameful?

LHOP is only too racy to lunatics.  The girls misbehaved sometimes, but were always corrected.  The girls were almost always obedient, always devout, always willing to plaster smiles on their faces to do work that was needed to help the family.  They're very inspirational, even if you're not religious.

I don't see many houses in my city with lights, apart from Advent candles set up on the windowsill... I actually just learned today that's what they were. I just thought they were Hanukkah things with fewer candles for some reason.

There's lots of lights at the train station and a whole Christmas Village in the pedestrian zone, so it's all good :)

On 12/3/2015, 7:20:54, jiggleromp said:

After years of trying to get my husband to watch, he finally caved.  He could not believe it.  He thought my stories of clown rapists, going mlined, hog farmers son marriages, etc, were all made up.  He was shocked that I watched this as a kid.  Shocked.  This is no family show he said to me.  Nope, not at all.

Wait...clown rapists? Someone needs to fill me in on this one. 

12 minutes ago, nausicaa25 said:

Wait...clown rapists? Someone needs to fill me in on this one. 

I wish I could forget this happened - it's the only oh epi I will never rewatch.

sylvia young teen abused by her dad, pregnant by a rapist in a clown mask (but the whole episode I thought that was also her dad giving it a whole other layer of hell) and Albert offers to marry her because pregnant even though not his because he's doing the hero thing.  

She dies in the end - can't remember if being raped again, running from rapist, or running from a suite father.  

Huge WTF were they thinking on a family show.  Seriosuly childhood me really traumatized by this episode.  Not to be all Steve Maxwell but I'm glad they don't air it here and I wouldn't have let my kids watch when little if it had come on.

11 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I wish I could forget this happened - it's the only oh epi I will never rewatch.

sylvia young teen abused by her dad, pregnant by a rapist in a clown mask (but the whole episode I thought that was also her dad giving it a whole other layer of hell) and Albert offers to marry her because pregnant even though not his because he's doing the hero thing.  

She dies in the end - can't remember if being raped again, running from rapist, or running from a suite father.  

Huge WTF were they thinking on a family show.  Seriosuly childhood me really traumatized by this episode.  Not to be all Steve Maxwell but I'm glad they don't air it here and I wouldn't have let my kids watch when little if it had come on.

Wait... WHAAAAAA???

*Woosh slams the door on any thoughts of this happening on LH*

Occasionally, ignorance IS bliss.

16 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

And to think, the notorious episode around my house is the one where a house catches on fire and a little monkey sneaks in to save the girl inside. My sister thought the monkey was going to hurt the child Gave her nightmares for weeks. 

Also, don't know if you watch The Big Bang Theory but Amy Farrah Fowler is a huge LHOP fangirl. One of my favorite lines is still "Amy writes erotic Little House on the Prarie fanfic!"

9 minutes ago, Woosh said:

Wait... WHAAAAAA???

*Woosh slams the door on any thoughts of this happening on LH*

Occasionally, ignorance IS bliss.

A lot of people haven't caught this one if they didn't the first time around because, wisely, it's been pulled from most (all?) syndication markets and it's so bad it sounds made up.  But trust me if I were going to make something up it would never include rape, child abuse, or clowns.  Shudder.

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

A lot of people haven't caught this one if they didn't the first time around because, wisely, it's been pulled from most (all?) syndication markets and it's so bad it sounds made up.  But trust me if I were going to make something up it would never include rape, child abuse, or clowns.  Shudder.

I have not one bit of doubt about what you posted and I have much enjoyed most of the LH discussion. Now, I am going to go find some sand to bury my head in :D

4 minutes ago, nausicaa25 said:

And to think, the notorious episode around my house is the one where a house catches on fire and a little monkey sneaks in to save the girl inside. My sister thought the monkey was going to hurt the child Gave her nightmares for weeks. 

Also, don't know if you watch The Big Bang Theory but Amy Farrah Fowler is a huge LHOP fangirl. One of my favorite lines is still "Amy writes erotic Little House on the Prarie fanfic!"

Amelia and the time traveling physicist?  Love the show, hate Amy, but that was great.

On December 5, 2015 at 2:56:28 PM, Jingerbread said:

All offense to Dean Butler.  He's a fundy-supporter.

Did not know that...now I don't feel bad for never finding him cute in the slightest.  

Latter years Albert on the other hand had a certain quality that might have made him a fun date to a barn dance...or a secluded bale of hay.  

Weird trivia the girl he has sex with before he dies in the crazy late episodes after its gone off the rails, Michelle, was a very young Melora Hardin long before she went on to make Michael Scott miserable as Jan on the office.

and were there a lot of Michelles on the prairie in the 1800's?  I'm thinking no.  

Anyone else breaking out Christmas on Plum Creek and the Christmas they never forgot to get into the holiday spirit? 

Thats it - I'm making a LHOP thread in distractions!  

43 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

She dies because of injuries from a fall she sustained while trying to get away from her rapist. Albert, not realizing that his employer was her rapist, told him where Sylvia was hiding out.

I remember this episode. Doesn't the father shoot the guy with the gun he had just threatened Albert with? I remember the father barging into the Ingalls' home and accusing Albert of defiling his daughter. 

It was definitely on the creep factor side. 

3 hours ago, Jeebusismycopilot said:

I remember this episode. Doesn't the father shoot the guy with the gun he had just threatened Albert with? I remember the father barging into the Ingalls' home and accusing Albert of defiling his daughter. 

It was definitely on the creep factor side. 

Yup. After Sylvia had fallen from the ladder in the barn and was knocked unconscious, her rapist then went after Albert and Sylvia's father showed up and shot him. 

I love that episode in season two where Mary and Laura are trying to sell patent medicines so the Sunday School class can buy a new Bible for Reverend Alden. Things don't turn out as they had planned, but Nellie Olsen got put in her place which always made me smile. :pb_lol:

Any time Nellie got put in her place, it made me happy. While I wasn't as big a fan of the later episodes, I must say I still love watching Percival put her through the wringer when they first met, and when he dumped the eggs on her. Priceless!

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2015‎ ‎12‎:‎07‎:‎12‎, AbandonAllHope said:

Try this link, I found it in the wayback machine

https://web.archive.org/web/20120920011514/http://forums.preparingdaughters.com/forums/t/3352

@Loveday and @HerNameIsBuffy, and any other LHOP fans, have you read "The Wilder Life" by Wendy McClure?  I really enjoyed it.

Sorry I'm late replying to this, but yes! Loved The Wilder Life! :pb_smile:

And I love how this thread has evolved into a LHOP discussion. :my_heart:

3 hours ago, Loveday said:

And I love how this thread has evolved into a LHOP discussion. :my_heart:

Lol, me too.  The Maxwells better do something interesting (as if they're capable of interesting) if they want their thread back.

Archived