IGNORED

Mormon baptisms

FundiesInParis

I'm not sure if this is the right board to post this in.

I have an adult friend who's being baptized into the Mormon church soon and she wants me to attend her baptism. I have pretty much no knowledge on Mormonism, and I was wondering what I should expect when I'm there ?

Can some Mormon/ex-Mormon fjer's give me some guidance?

So a while back I was actually babtized into the Mormon faith. I'm not anymore, but I can tell you what to expect. 

They  made me put on this one piece white outfit and tie my hair back. Then they lead you into this pool/shower looking thing with glass doors so the audience can watch them duck you. 

You would go and have service with everyone else, watch your friend get ducked, then afterwards you'd mingle with everyone and have a bite of food. 

I find it interesting that non LDS can attend Baptisms, but not weddings.  Anyone know why?

Baptisms are done at the ward building( aka church) where anyone is welcome. Marriages are held at the Temple, where you have to be "worthy" to attend. 

ETA: I was baptized into the church at age 8, no longer consider myself LDS. The baptisms are pretty low key and unexciting, from what I remember. 

It's also pretty common to have some kind of "ring ceremony" outside the temple and anyone can attend that. It typically looks like a regular wedding but without vows. The temple ceremony itself is just a sealing, not a full wedding ceremony like non-Mormons tend to think of.

From what I remember, the person being baptized wears an ugly white jumpsuit, then they get into a font where people can see the dunking, and there's usually cookies and punch served after it's over to the guests. Weddings are different, as only Mormons who have a temple card can see the "sealing" as people wear all white, and even non-Mormon parents are considered unworthy to see their own child get married. Sometimes, there's a "ring ceremony" at the reception, but that's it.

Interesting thread since one of my daughter's classmates is LDS and turning 8 next month. In addition to the birthday party invite they also invited people to attend the baptism if interested.  I know a couple of LDS families but never attended one of their baptism  ceremonies. 

And children of same sex couples can no longer be baptized at age 8 in LDS church.

They "clarified" (read: changed because even their most faithful members were horrified by the policy) the policy so it's only children of same-sex couples who have primary custody. Still awful, but it's a pretty tiny group of people affected now. It's for the sake of the children, supposedly, like how they don't baptize Muslims who come from places where leaving Islam could get them killed... because those two situations are totally comparable.

It's a really interesting turn of events, actually, and I think it is going to hurt the church a lot in the long run. Several thousand people have resigned from the church since the policy was announced and it has really shaken the faith of a lot of members.

Also: most of the women will be wearing skirts as it's a "church" function. If it is on a weeknight or Saturday the skirts will tend to be casual and some may be in jeans. There will be some men in in white shirts/tie/slacks, again depending on if it is a Sunday or not.

The general program is:

Song/Prayer/Welcoming remarks

Short sermon on baptism

Actual baptism (described above)

some sort of time filler while the person getting baptised gets changed into dry clothes. This could be a film, musical numbers, whatever.

Short sermon on the Holy Spirit

For a child's baptism, the child is then sat in a chair up front, has men lay their hands on her head and bless her with the Holy Spirit. For an adult baptism, this waits until the next Sunday service and is done in front of the whole congregation.

Closing remarks/song/prayer.

Snacks.

Archived