IGNORED

War on Yoga pants

countressrascal

First off I did not know about this war but I guess FAUXNews and Christian RIght have started one. Well I had a real life experience. Sunday I go to a 11am Yoga class with a 3 other women afterwards we either go for coffee or brunch. This weekend we did brunch due to the fact all of us had in-laws at our house and we wanted some more time before having to deal with them. We were standing in line at a breakfast place, that we go to on a regular bases, and a male person started making comments about our outfits-we were corrupting his teenage sons, called us "whores", asked us if our husbands knew we were out in public looking like this? Talking loud so we could hear his comments. Finally I turned around and made this comment-"At least at 63 I can still wear Yoga pants and look great in them plus they turn my husband on, if you do not like them or feel that we are corrupting your teenage sons then don't look. About that time I saw his wife and 6 kids, one of my girlfriends made a comment to us loud enough for him to hear- I guess if I had a wife that looked like that I would be looking at 60+ women in Yoga pants. Finally we got seated. 

Title for PP's next scream fest.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an asshole!  I'm very happy that you not only defrauded his teenage sons, but, apparently him, too!  :yoga:

Geez, his wife already probably suffers enough at the hands of this jerk.  I hope she didn't hear the comment.

I agree. I'm glad OP stood up for herself (and hopefully got a good laugh out of it), but the girlfriend's comment was completely out of line and uncalled for, IMHO.

Here during summer yoga pants topped with a loose shirt are all the rage since many years. And I've never heard anyone complain.  Sometimes I think that people talk just to put their mouth to some use.

I was wearing yoga-ish pants (really, running tights, but the effect was the same) to the high school track the other day to work out.  A teacher called me "buddy" and asked me how the play was, which revealed he thought I was a high school boy.

So much for defrauding. :my_cry:

I was wearing yoga-ish pants (really, running tights, but the effect was the same) to the high school track the other day to work out.  A teacher called me "buddy" and asked me how the play was, which revealed he thought I was a high school boy.

So much for defrauding. :my_cry:

:5624797ec149a_hug1:

I am a regular workout pants in public kind of person and I have never had anyone comment about it. People are weird.

I have, however, had people honk or yell things out the window at me while I'm running. I really don't understand what possesses people to honk at runners.

I have not heard of this war-other than that time some woman on her blog (can't remember who it was) said she stopped wearing yoga pants for her husband's sake.  Or some crap like that.  I don't get it...should we all just dress in denim frumpers?  I currently am wearing yoga pants.  In fact, I wore them to drop my daughter off at preschool -a church (Methodist, not fundy!) run preschool- just an hour ago.  No mean looks, and I somehow didn't defraud any of the dads who were dropping kids off.  Shocking. 

I have, however, had people honk or yell things out the window at me while I'm running. I really don't understand what possesses people to honk at runners. anyone.

FTFY

I don't think the average person could tell yoga pants from ordinary leggings which are common clothing items whenever they cycle back into fashion here in the UK. It is only the wearer of extreme 4-way stretchy deliciousness that should be aware of them, in my experience.  

Some people just like to judge and criticise others unfortunately and will do so in the same way whether the "other"  is wearing leggings, vest tops or a burkha.

They don´t really seem to be a trend here in Europe, but leggings without a longer shirt are. I don´t think they are that different from skinny jeans, just a bit flimsier fabric.

And cotton stretch pants are just sooo comfy....

:5624797ec149a_hug1:

The boyfriend has been calling me a boy for a week now. :my_cry: :P

I am a regular workout pants in public kind of person and I have never had anyone comment about it. People are weird.

I have, however, had people honk or yell things out the window at me while I'm running. I really don't understand what possesses people to honk at runners.

Ugh, that's my least favorite thing.  It happens on the bike sometimes at stoplights too, and that's the worst because you're then stuck there for another full minute with the asshole offender.

IDK how anyone hasn't heard of this war.  (Somewhat serious)

http://billingsgazette.com/news/government-and-politics/missoula-lawmaker-yoga-pants-speedos-should-be-illegal-in-public/article_71538ba2-d529-5ec3-a289-108de20e9398.html

Rep. David Moore on Tuesday introduced House Bill 365 in the House Judiciary Committee in response to a group of naked bicyclists who rolled through Missoula in August.

The proposal would expand indecent exposure law to include any nipple exposure, including men’s, and any garment that “gives the appearance or simulates” a person’s buttocks, genitals, pelvic area or female nipple.

http://www.seventeen.com/life/school/news/a33500/high-school-yoga-pants-ban-protest/

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2015/08/should_school_dress_codes_perm.html

(Less reputable source, but making the point):

http://www.babypost.com/blogs/baby-buzz/yoga-pants-being-targeted-blamed-banned-distracting-boys

I hate that, it scares me every time. Even though I hear the car coming, I'm too focused on not dying and don't expect the honk. Jerks.

Yoga pants get me through Thanksgiving, damnit! Well, and every other meal which is probably in direct opposition to what they were designed for... Yoga pants will so win this war. :pb_smile:

I'll give up my all day everyday activewear when faux news returns to real journalism. 

Yoga pants are life!   I seriously have never heard anyone comment about them to myself or anyone else. They are extremely common here in Western Canada. 

I'm so glad you took that rude man's comment as a compliment, because in an awkward way, it totally was.   What type of yoga do you practice?  I'm considering trying Bikram yoga this winter. 

Back in the late 90s, a group of SC lawmakers proposed legislation that would outlaw any nipple exposure and any other public and some private display of genitalia.  It would have outlawed guys wearing tight jeans or wearing anything that showed their "sex organs in a noticeable state of turgidity".  No, I am not making that language up, that's how the bill read.  Little boys could not even pee in the own back yards and you couldn't let your kids swim naked in their wading pools.  It came within a couple of votes of making it out of committee.

Yoga pants get me through Thanksgiving, damnit! Well, and every other meal which is probably in direct opposition to what they were designed for... Yoga pants will so win this war. :pb_smile:

Here, here! I am so enjoying the current fashion trend of leggings and tunic shirts. I hope it sticks around for awhile. After all of the years in my teens and twenties that I spent in low rise jeans, unable to have a second helping of potatoes on Thanksgiving for fear of cutting of circulation to my feet, I deserve to be comfortable, damn it!

If there was ever a war on any kind of female fashion, I wish it had been on low rise jeans. Those things were the worst.

Here's an article about a Christian blogger detailing why she gave up wearing yoga pants and leggings to "honor God and her husband." It was a decision that "weighed heavy on her heart." Basically, her husband had copped to checking out women in tight pants, and that is what prompted her decision.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/20/veronica-partridge-leggings-yoga-pants-gives-up-lustful-christian_n_6508764.html

Here, here! I am so enjoying the current fashion trend of leggings and tunic shirts. I hope it sticks around for awhile. After all of the years in my teens and twenties that I spent in low rise jeans, unable to have a second helping of potatoes on Thanksgiving for fear of cutting of circulation to my feet, I deserve to be comfortable, damn it!

If there was ever a war on any kind of female fashion, I wish it had been on low rise jeans. Those things were the worst.

Here's an article about a Christian blogger detailing why she gave up wearing yoga pants and leggings to "honor God and her husband." It was a decision that "weighed heavy on her heart." Basically, her husband had copped to checking out women in tight pants, and that is what prompted her decision.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/20/veronica-partridge-leggings-yoga-pants-gives-up-lustful-christian_n_6508764.html

I feel like these types of Christians have the worse kind of self-esteem issues. So what if her husband checked out another female. My husband does this. I look at other men.  Humans do this. It doesn't mean we are going to jump in bed with these people given the opportunity. Viewing bodies doesn't always have to be sexual either. I certainly admire a fit and lean body. I feel like these particular Christians create their own issues.

As a religious person with a religious husband, I feel like perhaps I should understand when these women talk about how their husbands struggle with lusting after Christian yoga booty, but I just don't. My husband just doesn't have this problem with staring at other women's rumps. I think I must be alone in this, from what I hear from bloggers like that.

There's a verse in the bible somewhere that states that looking at someone lustfully is a sin. That's where the duggars "Nike!" comes from. Now, I think someone could look at someone in yoga pants without thinking lustful thoughts but I can also see why people would be against it. Men "are sex crazed beings who can't think of anything but sex." I don't think that's necessarily just thought of in religious circles either... 

.. However they should keep their mouths shut if they can't be respectful.

Archived