IGNORED

Independent Baptists vs Pentecostals? Fundie?

luv2laugh

I came across a long skirt wearing, long haired person that looked very fundie. She told me she was Pentecostal. I would have thought she was an Independent Baptist like the Duggars. I never thought Pentecostals were fundie but then again, I don't know much about them. I thought Independent Baptists were the only fundies? Are Pentecostals fundie too? I thought the tall tail signs were long hair+ skirt= Baptist fundie.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holiness Pentecostals are the ones who wear long skirts and they don't cut their hair or wear makeup. They often have big hairstyles (which I love). They're very fundie but often go to school/work. They can look IFB but their beliefs are different. Holiness Pentecostals speak in tongues and believe a person can live such a holy life that they are no longer sinning. Both are key to their [idea of] salvation. IFB believe you get saved and stay saved. Oh, holiness Pentecostals have a different view of the trinity too. They think all three are Jesus. 

There are other denominations that are Pentecostal (charismatic) but they are just mainstream Christians who speak in tongues, like Assembly of God churches, and they're not fundie.

Kim Davis, the Kentucky clerk who denied the marruage license, is a fundie Pentecostal. Google Pentecostal hair for a fun time.

The Pentecostals I know allow women to work, are not quiverfull, use birth control, but are anti-choice. They don't wear makeup, jewelry (even wedding rings), are skirts/dresses only with long hair. Most do not watch tv, listen to secular music, dance, or drink alcohol. I don't think they do the courtship thing, but sex before marriage is taboo. They also send their kids to public schools and colleges. Unlike IFB, Pentecostals do interact with the public. Their kids also aren't sheltered from the outside world. I would definitely say they are fundie though. YMMV from congregation to congregation.

Like any branch of Christianity, there are fundie Pentecostals and those that are more liberal. It really depends on the denomination, the theology, and the individual. As mentioned upthread, if you saw a Holiness Pentecostal woman next to an ATI woman, you probably couldn't tell the difference. But their theologies are very different. Gothard, of course, teaches that music with a strong beat (i.e., black music) is evil and the only acceptable songs are European hymns, while Pentecostals tend to be more flexible about the kinds of instruments and music that is allowed in church, although the Holiness types would frown upon most secular music of any genre. Many non-Pentecostal fundies tend to look down upon Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity, because they think it's messing around with the supernatural, but Pentecostalism/Charismatic Christianity is the fastest growing religion in the world, growing faster than Islam.

Holiness Pentecostals are the ones who wear long skirts and they don't cut their hair or wear makeup. They often have big hairstyles (which I love). They're very fundie but often go to school/work. They can look IFB but their beliefs are different. Holiness Pentecostals speak in tongues and believe a person can live such a holy life that they are no longer sinning. Both are key to their [idea of] salvation. IFB believe you get saved and stay saved. Oh, holiness Pentecostals have a different view of the trinity too. They think all three are Jesus. 

There are other denominations that are Pentecostal (charismatic) but they are just mainstream Christians who speak in tongues, like Assembly of God churches, and they're not fundie.

Kim Davis, the Kentucky clerk who denied the marruage license, is a fundie Pentecostal. Google Pentecostal hair for a fun time.

My mother is United Pentecostal.  They sound just like the Holiness Pentecostals that you describe.  I'm very familiar with the "Pentecostal pouf."  One thing I can say about my MIL's church, is that they have good music, with a full band. 

Or google Dainty Jewells, their dresses are ... special, for sure. It´s fundie pentecostal fashion.

I just skimmed through this one and have already formed a love/hate relationship.  The dominance of the tiered ruffle skirts (I am guessing this is a thang) and alternating red and green bridesmaids dresses are both.... new to me.

I just skimmed through this one and have already formed a love/hate relationship.  The dominance of the tiered ruffle skirts (I am guessing this is a thang) and alternating red and green bridesmaids dresses are both.... new to me.

Oh god...I like some of the dresses. The simple lace knee-length sheaths are actually really pretty.

(Also, I guess this is where Michael/Michaela/Michaella/Mike Bates Keilen found her bridesmaids' dresses!)

On the other hand, most Pentecostal churches in the UK are black churches (definitely lots of dancing!) or mainstream modern Pentecostal/charismatic churches like Hillsong/Vineyard/New Frontiers International (we do have AoG but nowhere near as many). It's strange to hear about Pentecostals that sound like they look like Brethren or FLDS.

Or google Dainty Jewells, their dresses are ... special, for sure. It´s fundie pentecostal fashion.

I actually really love most of their stuff, I've been considering their Night In Paris dress pretty hard for my bridesmaid dresses.

wait! it can't be true modest because in the skirt section there is not one denim skirt. How can they be modest if they don't have a jean skirt?!

/sarcasm, if you couldn't tell.

wait! it can't be true modest because in the skirt section there is not one denim skirt. How can they be modest if they don't have a jean skirt?!

/sarcasm, if you couldn't tell.

one can only be truly modest if their skirt is a ten pound tripping hazard :my_rolleyes: 

Some of those Dainty Jewells dresses are super cute! I love the Serendipity one and the Night in Paris in pale blue...

I hate the ruffle bottoms. If they were going with that, they should have just made layered ball gowns. Ugh.

My brother was briefly involved with a holiness Pentecostal woman. She wore the denim skirts and had super long hair. She looked fundie but she did have a job. She bought him khakis and shirts with collars for his birthday to help him along on the road to holiness. My brother stopped wearing contacts and started wearing wire-rimmed glasses - because vanity. My brother was VERY near-sighted and had to have VERY thick glasses so I guess it probably was a blow to his ego. The ban on TV watching eventually got to be too much for him (football season started) and that was the end of that.

Some of those Dainty Jewells dresses are super cute! I love the Serendipity one and the Night in Paris in pale blue...

I hate the ruffle bottoms. If they were going with that, they should have just made layered ball gowns. Ugh.

Ruffles can be fun, but on a lot of those dresses, they just make the models look really dumpy or look like they're wearing little girls' dress-up dresses. But I would legit consider the Night In Paris dresses as bridesmaid dresses for a fall or autumn wedding, and I dress like a complete harlot by fundie standards.

There are different levels of fundiness in IFB, too, which is why I always use IFBx to refer to the more extremist version that I grew up in (the kind that considers PCC and BJU liberal).

In some parts of rural NC/Appalachia Pentecostal Holiness minister handle venomous snakes or drink arsenic/strychnine as proof of their faith! TRUE STORY!

Every once in a while you'll hear a news story about it....usually because someone died. Jesus doesn't save the stupid apparently.

Conservative Pentecostals talk about The Devil a lot. Like, a lot, a lot. Everything not-awesome that happens is because of The Devil. I grew up IFB and never gave The Devil very much thought. I internalized the idea that my sin nature was enough to make me sin and the bad things in life happen because of the collective sin of humanity. The Pentecostals I've known believe The Devil is lurking around every corner, trying to trip you up and make your life suck as much as possible. If you're having a bad day, it's necessary to "rebuke" The Devil to make him leave you alone. This was totally foreign to my IFB self.  

AoG is mainstream? Not the AoG I grew up in. But then, I consider anyone to be fundie if they think their beliefs are right and everyone else's are wrong.

AoG is mainstream? Not the AoG I grew up in. But then, I consider anyone to be fundie if they think their beliefs are right and everyone else's are wrong.

It's the same way for me, only seventh day Adventist instead of AoG. I guess every denomination varies on the fundy spectrum from one congregation to the next.

I went to school with some kids whe were Pentecostal. Their parents were super strict and the girls had to wear culottes that went past the knee and we had to make a skirt for the one girl to wear in marching band. 

My mom grew up in a church where they handled snakes too. 

I went to school with a girl who was brought up strictly Pentecostal. It was interesting. I felt for her, because she was rebelling and yet had to go back home and live by their strict rules.

Definitely a quarter-lifer there.

I don't think that's true. Pentecostalism is descended from Methodism (yes really!), with the Holiness Movement as a kind of missing-link - all about that inner holiness and a godly spirit. I also have a lot of pentecostal friends. The substance is definitely important.

Also I guess it depends on the area but there are definitely mainstream AOG and SDA churches although I will admit that they are on the outer reaches of mainstream.

Do I have to give back my FJ card if I admit that I actually really like some of their clothes? :embarrassed:

Fortunately for all of us, their pricing is a bit too high for my taste (I go for the cheap stuff!) So no worries - there will not be a Dainty Jewell wearing Velociraptor roaming the forums anytime soon. :pb_lol:

Archived