IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 3

happy atheist

On 4/11/2016 at 1:25 AM, divadivine said:

I work with university students & we had a conference this week/weekend. 26 students in a hotel... You can imagine. Anyhow, there were several Fundies staying at the hotel, too. The students were eating dinner Thursday night and one of the fundie young men was waiting for his family. He made it a point to stay far away from our students. Clearly he was uncomfortable.

We had to share the small dining area with them every morning. Our students are fairly liberal. They will talk about anything & everything at meals. The fundies were seriously afraid of being too close to them. This morning we were at breakfast later & I was running late & all out of Damns to Give.  I was wearing yoga pants & a t-shirt. Michelle Duggar Circa 14 Kids and pregnant again gave me the stink eye at the waffle machine. I was defrauding her headship with my yoga pants.

Of course one of my students comes up and says "Mom- I've got a whole plan worked out. Matt is not holding up his end of the bargain as chair- man problems- so, I'm just going to get shit done." Then he goes over and sits with one of the female students - his "wife" (these two are both openly out & she said earlier this week  he was the only man she would ever consider marrying... Because she's going to marry a female.) They were hugging each other & saying "Mom we need a pic!" Then one of the other girls started talking about her sexy playlist that would get you in the mood. The fundies were sitting there concentrating on their food and praying  that we didn't defraud them.  Seriously, they didn't want  to ride the elevator with us. It was a long weekend.

Bolding mine. I know that Josh Duggar is confirmation of this, but whenever I hear about fundie women being all paranoid that the sight of a woman in pants or revealing clothing will instantly cause their husbands to stray, I just wonder what sort of a relationship they have. I also see it in secular women who throw shitfits about other women interacting with their husbands or boyfriends, however innocently. How much do you truly love and trust your partner and how much do they love and trust you if you really think that a woman minding her own business in yoga pants will lead your husband to cheat?

• Upvote 12

I'm not sure if this counts as Fundies but I was in a restaurant in Kensington, London, and came across two American Mormon women (girls, really. They only looked about 18). I didn't speak to them, but they did ask a woman who sad down near them if she wanted to hear about Jesus; she said no thanks and they didn't bother her again. They spent the whole meal reading something off of identical black iPads; it was very odd.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

As I was leaving the grocery store today, I noticed at the far end of the parking lot, 3 girls with long braids, easter egg colored shirts, and frumpy denim skirts, standing on a truck bed, packing food into at least a dozen coolers stacked among a bunch of other stuff. (It looked like they may have been going camping or on a long trip.) The mom was loading several smaller kids into a large van parked next to it. I'm not sure how large the family was, but they had a LOT of coolers!

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really upset because my cousin told me this about a lady from my church. I've known that she's crazy fundy from the moment I met her. But now she's grounded her oldest daughter from her phone for months because apparently it's her fault that a boy from church was being creepy stalkerish. According to my cousin who is friends with both of them, it wasn't her, it was the guy being super creepy. 

I wish I could rescue those poor girls from that awful Lori Alexander and Debi Pearl worshipping woman . 

• Upvote 2

About 30 years ago when we first moved to the area, we decided to go se the Hill Cumorah Pageant in Palmyra NY (huge well done outdoor pageant depicting the Book of Mormon) anyway, they get your name, address, phone number  if they  can for protzelyizing purposes. Its free  and really incredible so its worth it. A Couple weeks after the pageant couple of baby missionaries show up on our doorstep. They might have been all

Spoiler

of 18. Hubby will talk with anyone, so he invited them in.  

They were really sweet boys and we became quite friendly. Missionaries get Mondays off for  "wholesome activities" and it evolved that they came to our house every Monday night for a year. They and hubby would work out, we'd watch tv, we'd eat dinner  they would play with our very young kids. They  missed their siblings and their homes. 

Every now and then they would try to talk about religion until one evening when hubby said, " we love having you boys here, you're like family, but your religion is absolute poppycock!" They never mentioned it again, but still came every week. A few years later we were invited to one boy's wedding, and still keep in touch.

• Upvote 20

On April 11, 2016 at 2:32 PM, clueliss said:

So future brain washing in Missouri folks.

Where in Missouri? I may be able to attend and make a report.

• Upvote 2

St Louise (maybe on the IL side of the lin)  - I've probably put more details about this in one of the Mally threads because I typically copy/paste the monthly email they send there.  (I would tell them to stop sending it but why deprive Jingerites of snark opportunities)

• Upvote 1

New family moved in my moms neighborhood, 2 Huge van and it seemed like 8 kids, 4 adults.  They had a flag pole and put a white flag with a blue square with a red cross on it.  Can I put a picture on here of the flag? Is it KKK? 

@Wenny  --I agree with @MarblesMom--it sounds like the Christian flag. By itself, it probably doesn't mean they are particularly fundamentalist. The fairly liberal and broad-minded Presbyterian church I attended as a kid always had an American flag and a Christian flag standing at the front of the church. I suppose hanging it in front of their house is a more strident statement of faith, though.

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
Fixing tagging
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

@Wenny  --I agree with @MarblesMom--it sounds like the Christian flag. By itself, it probably doesn't mean they are particularly fundamentalist. The fairly liberal and broad-minded Presbyterian church I attended as a kid always had an American flag and a Christian flag standing at the front of the church. I suppose hanging it in front of their house is a more strident statement of faith, though.

United Methodist churches also have the American and Christian flags at the front of the church. I'm not sure about other denominations- I've visited, but don't remember.

• Upvote 1

On May 9, 2016 at 10:21 AM, clueliss said:

St Louise (maybe on the IL side of the lin)  - I've probably put more details about this in one of the Mally threads because I typically copy/paste the monthly email they send there.  (I would tell them to stop sending it but why deprive Jingerites of snark opportunities)

I will keep a lookout then.

Edited to add:

I've checked on the Mally thread, and it is June 23-24 on the IL side of St Louis. Unfortunately, it looks like, as a 20-something "girl", I'll need to attend with "a parent".

Edited by warriorblade8857
Addition.

i was going down a road in the middle of nowhere and out of the blue i see two men in their early 20s in black slacks and white dress shirts walking down the side of the road with something in their hands

and im pretty sure they were Mormon missionaries, then i thought it was odd cause the nearest mormon church is 15-20 miles away

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, 19TrollsandCounting said:

i was going down a road in the middle of nowhere and out of the blue i see two men in their early 20s in black slacks and white dress shirts walking down the side of the road with something in their hands

and im pretty sure they were Mormon missionaries, then i thought it was odd cause the nearest mormon church is 15-20 miles away

We had no Mormon church in the small town where I grew up, but every summer Mormon missionaries made the rounds. Actually, it seems there was a fair-sized contingent that swooped down on our area every year, from what my dad told me.

He even had a deal with them in his retirement years. He gave a few of the boys (two to four of them from the larger group) room (but not board) every year, in exchange for household upkeep (lawn mowing, painting, etc.) with the agreement that they wouldn't try to proselytize him. He allowed them to practice their spiel on him one time, upon their arrival (new faces every year), and then they were supposed to drop it. They did.

• Upvote 6

I will keep a lookout then.

Edited to add:

I've checked on the Mally thread, and it is June 23-24 on the IL side of St Louis. Unfortunately, it looks like, as a 20-something "girl", I'll need to attend with "a parent".

Do you know what city or can you link the post here? I might pop in. TIA!

3 hours ago, Kitcae said:

@J'BekaIt looks like the Bright Lights conference is in Shiloh, IL.  Here's the page where you can register.

@J'Beka

Registration for the "Radiant Purity Conference" as a daughter requires you to enter your age.... The pull-down menu stops at 25. Apparently, I'm three years over the hill. Maybe I should sign up as a "parent"? :pb_lol:

Also, isn't Sarah Mally in her mid-late 30s by now? I wonder what she thinks about that cutoff?

The link to the Mally thread is here:

• Upvote 2

Oh please with that curriculum she probably thinks that even the leaders cut off at 25.  (and I wish i were joking)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, warriorblade8857 said:

@J'Beka

Registration for the "Radiant Purity Conference" as a daughter requires you to enter your age.... The pull-down menu stops at 25. Apparently, I'm three years over the hill. Maybe I should sign up as a "parent"? :pb_lol:

Also, isn't Sarah Mally in her mid-late 30s by now? I wonder what she thinks about that cutoff?

The link to the Mally thread is here:

Would anyone care/notice if you just said you were 25? You could probably get away with it. Yes, I wonder what Sarah Mally thinks about that cutoff! Thanks for the link over to the Mally thread.

• Upvote 1

On March 4, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Leftitinmysnood said:

I have a "no solicitors because you'll wake the baby" sign in English and Spanish. So I got the JWs knocking on my door asking if I knew any other Spanish speakers in the neighborhood. Fortunately, I answered the door with a squalling, teething infant and they left in a hurry. They no longer try to talk to us, but I still get a watchtower under the mat once a year.

I worked on a congressional campaign for a week and we were told to ignore the "no solicitors" signs, which is dumb. Pissing people off and potentially getting police called on you for trespassing isn't the way to win an election.

We also drove by a JW church and I wanted to go bug them and give them campaign material but I was told no :( 

• Upvote 6

We  were told to ignore "No Soliciting" signs as well, @HarryPotterFan.  I don't ignore the signs, though, although the "No soliciting" sign doesn't carry as much weight as does a "No Trespassing" sign.   That's a house I leave alone.  I also tend to not go up to houses with closed gates and sometimes don't go into screened porches or Florida rooms (Fully enclosed porches).  I think that's too much going into someone's home.  I definitely heed "Beware of dog" and 
"No trespassing" signs.  

Since we were talking about the Christian flag, I saw a pickup in Spartanburg, SC with a Christian flag, two Confederate flags and two Teabagger flags flying from the bed.  I think it's pretty safe to say that that person and I would have little in common.

• Upvote 3

On May 10, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Audrey2 said:

United Methodist churches also have the American and Christian flags at the front of the church. I'm not sure about other denominations- I've visited, but don't remember.

I've seen the Christian flag at either an Anglican or Episcopal Church before. As well as flags of the state, USA and denomination. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2016 at 1:53 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

I worked on a congressional campaign for a week and we were told to ignore the "no solicitors" signs, which is dumb. Pissing people off and potentially getting police called on you for trespassing isn't the way to win an election.

We also drove by a JW church and I wanted to go bug them and give them campaign material but I was told no :( 

In politics, it is common to ignore no soliciting signs.  (Some people don't and I won't get them in trouble for it-- but I hold the standard higher for paid canvassers or staffers than I do for volunteers).

In 8 years of politics, I've never had the police called on me.  The person that pissed me off the most was a JW saying that we had no business knocking on people's doors.  Pot meet kettle.

• Upvote 8

I was at a water park with a bunch of friends. I noticed some girls in long, pretty skirts and cardigans. I complimented one of the girl's skirts. She looked very startled and uncomfortable. It was only later that I realized she was probably fundie. She was probably very taken aback that this overly-friendly heathen in a bikini was talking so casually to her. Whoops.

• Upvote 10

• Coconut Flan locked this topic