IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 3

happy atheist

On February 22, 2016 at 6:10 AM, tumblr said:

Did you ever try to talk to her? 

If I saw that I don't think I would be able to not offer her some kind of support. 

Oh yeah, I guess I should have pointed out that we were all in the same circle of friends, because we had the same major. We even got the younger sister to come to parties where alcohol was present, but the older sister wouldn't really associate with us outside of school-related activities. The younger sister was very cool because she didn't feel that her choices negated her faith.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

Oh yeah, I guess I should have pointed out that we were all in the same circle of friends, because we had the same major. We even got the younger sister to come to parties where alcohol was present, but the older sister wouldn't really associate with us outside of school-related activities. The younger sister was very cool because she didn't feel that her choices negated her faith.

Ah, Are you still in contact with her at all? 

On February 22, 2016 at 6:39 AM, tumblr said:

Ah, Are you still in contact with her at all? 

Not since I graduated. You know, back then I recognized they were some kind of fundamentalist baptist such and such but I was totally unaware of the greater fundie world. It would be interesting to see if their practices have changed at all. I will try to track them down on fb...

Edited by LittleSpouseOnThePrairie
Btw graduated college in 2005, so it's been a while
  • Upvote 2

On 22/01/2016 at 8:52 AM, quiverofdoubt said:

I was (...) very surprised to see them at an aquarium. 

They were looking for the Jesus Fish.

• Upvote 11

Decided to procrastinate today by taking a walk through the touristy bits of Central London. There was an American guy yelling into a microphone in Piccadilly Circus about how England is a CHRISTIAN NATION because of the ANGLICAN CHURCH and it is being DILUTED IN THE NAME OF DIVERSITY and DID YOU KNOW THAT IF YOU PREACH THE WORD OF JESUS IN SAUDI ARABIA YOU WILL BE MURDERED? His argument was very disjointed and incoherent, and I was very pleased to see that precisely zero people were paying any attention to him. I was very briefly tempted to engage/heckle, but thought the better of it and decided to amuse myself with a jaunt to the import supermarket in Chinatown. I ate a delicious red bean bun, and that guy continued to write his sermons that no one would hear, while no one came near.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Decided to procrastinate today by taking a walk through the touristy bits of Central London. There was an American guy yelling into a microphone in Piccadilly Circus about how England is a CHRISTIAN NATION because of the ANGLICAN CHURCH and it is being DILUTED IN THE NAME OF DIVERSITY and DID YOU KNOW THAT IF YOU PREACH THE WORD OF JESUS IN SAUDI ARABIA YOU WILL BE MURDERED? His argument was very disjointed and incoherent, and I was very pleased to see that precisely zero people were paying any attention to him. I was very briefly tempted to engage/heckle, but thought the better of it and decided to amuse myself with a jaunt to the import supermarket in Chinatown. I ate a delicious red bean bun, and that guy continued to write his sermons that no one would hear, while no one came near.

Was he quite a large man, maybe 40's with red hair? There's an American guy who stands outside bigger concerts 'spreading the word' (or at least used to). 

Last night I had a date with a guy I had been matched with on eharmony. I'm a Christian (not even close to Fundie level, but a strong believer) and he's a bit more "on fire" when it comes to Jesus. But still, when he prayed before dinner and mentioned the word "fellowship" twice, it took every fiber of my being not to break down in giggles. All I could think of was "sweet fellowship", darn you fellow Fundie snarkers for making me grind my teeth to keep myself from laughing like an idiot during a prayer on a first date lol! 

• Upvote 30

And I should definitely add that NO "sweet fellowship" occurred the other night. Just a hug at the end of the date. At least he wasn't insistent on a side-hug! 

• Upvote 9

On 2/25/2016 at 2:55 PM, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

And I should definitely add that NO "sweet fellowship" occurred the other night. Just a hug at the end of the date. At least he wasn't insistent on a side-hug! 

It's a good thing you're not a fundie, or such lacivious behavior as a front hug on the first date would mean you'd HAVE to marry the guy, as soon as possible.

• Upvote 9

On 2/23/2016 at 2:53 PM, nastyhobbitses said:

I find it very interesting that fundamentalist Christianity is such an American thing.

• Upvote 4

On February 22, 2016 at 6:43 AM, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

Not since I graduated. You know, back then I recognized they were some kind of fundamentalist baptist such and such but I was totally unaware of the greater fundie world. It would be interesting to see if their practices have changed at all. I will try to track them down on fb...

@tumblr So I fb stalked a bit and saw that the older sister got married in 2014 (10years after she graduated college) and she just had twin girls fall of 2015. That's a long wait for marriage in fundie land, IMO. Her wedding dress was definitely fundie style though. She still looks the same but I guess she is into running now and I saw a pic of her in shorts and a tank top w/sport bra, so that is a change.

I saw the younger sister just got engaged this winter. Still dresses fundie-lite. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

@tumblr So I fb stalked a bit and saw that the older sister got married in 2014 (10years after she graduated college) and she just had twin girls fall of 2015. That's a long wait for marriage in fundie land, IMO. Her wedding dress was definitely fundie style though. She still looks the same but I guess she is into running now and I saw a pic of her in shorts and a tank top w/sport bra, so that is a change.

I saw the younger sister just got engaged this winter. Still dresses fundie-lite. 

I got so excited when I saw you responded again, thanks for the follow up!

I hope they are both happy. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

I find it very interesting that fundamentalist Christianity is such an American thing.

It is definitely a thing in Northern Ireland. We have our own home grown types. Ian Paisley may be dead but others have taken up his mantle 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

It has also spread to parts of Africa and Asia through missionaries but for the most part there seems to be something about America that not only allows for these groups to form but to thrive. 

• Upvote 5

This may not count but i am in west Tx.  Now, i thought the Christian radio in kc was obnoxious and political.  I had no idea how strident Christian radio can bd ofe.  Tony perkins all day all the time.   TRENT Franks, on a law he wants to pass guaranteeing parents can define their kids education instead of the UN. Lots of anti abortion stereotypical.  Coming soon , Rafael Cruz.  And we are currently getting a sermon on how Trump will cure crony capitalism

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, salex said:

This may not count but i am in west Tx.  Now, i thought the Christian radio in kc was obnoxious and political.  I had no idea how strident Christian radio can bd ofe.  Tony perkins all day all the time.   TRENT Franks, on a law he wants to pass guaranteeing parents can define their kids education instead of the UN. Lots of anti abortion stereotypical.  Coming soon , Rafael Cruz.  And we are currently getting a sermon on how Trump will cure crony capitalism

Yikes!! That sounds intense for sure!

Took the long way to work this morning (it saves my sanity).  And I passed an Amish buggy going in my direction.  It was on the shoulder.  I did slow down out of courtesy.  And might have squeed in excitement (because I might be a bit of a dork).  I've lived here almost 6 years and it's only my second buggy sighting.  

Also when i do take the long way, I pass by the tiny burg of Sunnydale.  There is a sign along the highway I'm on that announces the Education Center.  (the term education center always has creeped me out a bit).  It's 7th Day Adventist (my currently avoiding everyone sister fell in with the Adventists after she moved to the Atlanta area in the mid 90's  She moved with some others from them to a Messianic congregation).   I'm putting the Sunnydale link below for investigative purposes of those so inclined.  They have an associated business that the company I work for actually uses.  (we make jokes about chickens over there during Physical Inventory meetings because apparently you can go over there and buy fresh eggs).  

http://www.sunnydale.org/

Funny you mention the 7DA's.  I don't know much about their beliefs or if they would be considered fundie, but they have a huge church and school in my area. I once had a client who went there and he was nice, but his sister came with him once and left me a tract about "The Wicked Error of Sunday Services."

• Upvote 3

In my experience 7DA definitely trend towards fundie/fundie lite. I went to a non-denominational christian summer camp as a kid and met a couple 7DA, one of whom I am still semi in contact with and she is definitely fundie lite quickly rolling towards full on fundie. 

• Upvote 2

I agree - fundie to fundie light.  My sister, last time I saw her, remains rather adamant that you 'must' worship on Saturday.  I've spent a lot of time holding my tongue to keep the peace with her and odd statements that come out of her mouth.  There's also a share of dietary rules

Granddaughter's college freshman roommate is supposedly 7DA, but she has never dressed the part.  They are seniors now and have remained very close friends; it was truly a "roommate match made in heaven".  Granddaughter refers to ex-roomie as a "man magnet" and there is going to be a wedding this summer after graduation.  Granddaughter will be abroad doing a study thing so can't be in the wedding, and they are both heart broken but the date can't be changed (and that wouldn't be a reason to change it anyway).  She has worn granddaughter's clothes, short shorts, tank tops, strapless formals, like everybody else at that school.

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2016 at 7:40 PM, tumblr said:

It has also spread to parts of Africa and Asia through missionaries but for the most part there seems to be something about America that not only allows for these groups to form but to thrive. 

Very broad free speech/religious freedom laws, expansive rural areas, long history of splinter religious groups settling in the country, for the most part a live-and-let-live culture regarding personal belief (related to the broad free speech laws), and much less direct federal control than a lot of other countries (which is intensified in more rural areas). We're really a breeding ground for all manner of religious zealots.

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic