IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 3

happy atheist

Yesterday I was waiting at Walgreens for BlackberyBoy's eyedrops when a Mennonite woman and her young school aged daughter sat beside me. I am going to reveal a bit of pettines now. ..the Amish family sitting in the waiting room with me last week were just filthy. Smelly, dirty, unbathed. And sadly this is the rule around here, whereas the Mennonites are sparkling crisp. In the hottest weather their dresses are startched and fresh  smelling. We had a nice chat about where she buys her fabric for the dress she was wearing.   As a cute sidenote, when the pharmacist called her name and said the doctor's name I realized I had that doctor in Brownies when she was in 2nd grade.  Small town.

• Upvote 3

I just saw a fundie bus. It was a repurposed school bus painted gold (not yellowy gold, shiny metallic gold) with the words "Playin' hooky" on the front and back. In the back window was some of those family stickers. A mom and dad and at least 15 kids (didn't have time to count). On the back was painted something about the most important thing being Him and an arrow pointing up. Then on the side it said, "Anybody from McCain?" (I think that's the name anyway). The thing that really stood out to me was the fact that every single one of the kid stick figures was identical. It's really indicative to me of the fundie habit of seeing kids as identical creatures in need of training, rather than individuals. The windows were tinted, so I couldn't tell you anything about the family, but the whole bus came across as very odd, even as far as fundie buses are concerned.

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, BlackberryGirl said:

Yesterday I was waiting at Walgreens for BlackberyBoy's eyedrops when a Mennonite woman and her young school aged daughter sat beside me. I am going to reveal a bit of pettines now. ..the Amish family sitting in the waiting room with me last week were just filthy. Smelly, dirty, unbathed. And sadly this is the rule around here, whereas the Mennonites are sparkling crisp. In the hottest weather their dresses are startched and fresh  smelling. We had a nice chat about where she buys her fabric for the dress she was wearing.   As a cute sidenote, when the pharmacist called her name and said the doctor's name I realized I had that doctor in Brownies when she was in 2nd grade.  Small town.

I wonder if the Amish family is one of those who only bathe once a week because frankly, it's a big production--they have to tap the water from an outside spigot and heat it on the stove before bathing, and they have to do it for each individual member.(The book "Living Without Electricity," which I highly recommend if you can find it, claims that over half of all Amish do have indoor bathrooms/running water).

• Upvote 3

On 7/9/2017 at 7:22 AM, smittykins said:

I wonder if the Amish family is one of those who only bathe once a week because frankly, it's a big production--they have to tap the water from an outside spigot and heat it on the stove before bathing, and they have to do it for each individual member.(The book "Living Without Electricity," which I highly recommend if you can find it, claims that over half of all Amish do have indoor bathrooms/running water).

The thing about bathing only once a week is that those people at least wash up in a bucket in between. It's not hard to wash your face and hands at least. It's just odd to me that the Amish in her area are all filthy. Not just a few families. So it must be seen as normal to them. 

On 7/5/2017 at 2:45 PM, MarblesMom said:

A new mailing from Warren Jeffs!  I won't bore you it, but end of world doom, blah blah blah.  I feel so special that after a year of getting the mail here, these gems start to arrive.  Very entertaining stuff.

I also think he is a nut.  Why he is mailing this to a burg of 500, with no Mormon church for 40 miles around...?!  So mind boggling.

My little library got this one as well!  Like your first mailing, this was incorrectly addressed -- in our case it was sent to our street address, when we have no mail delivery here but instead get all mail at the PO Box.

What it suggests to me is that they are simply using a mailing list for all(?) or select libraries.  In the 10 years I've worked here, we've gotten several odd mailings like this, either religious or from someone with a self-published screed (or sometimes both).

In our case it goes straight into the trash (sadly, we don't have paper recycling in this area).

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 3

Hi there!! So I've been reading FJ for awhile but thought I'd join to share my real life fundie run-in. :) 

I actually went to high school with her but didn't know her very well. She was friends with my older sister and didn't seem terribly involved in church back then but I could be wrong. I knew her husband-to-be a little bit and always thought he was a tad odd. They got married IMMEDIATELY after high school. I think maybe a month or 2 after graduation. Not sure because again, we didn't know one another very well but it does track with the baby making. We did become friends on Facebook 3 or 4 years ago though. At the time, she had 8 kids but it's probably more now. They obviously homeschooled but I didn't really equate that with being fundie. I think I vaguely remember thinking they were Catholic. 

My husband had a work conference in the city where she lives so I tagged along. I let her know and we actually made plans to meet at the zoo. Like had firm plans. Then the day before, she cancelled and unfriended me. I went to the zoo all by myself. Sniff. Cry. Honestly, I had fun. Kids exhaust me and my husband and I have zero plans to have any. So I had a leisurely morning at the zoo and then a nice quiet lunch with a lovely glass of wine. 

I did wonder about being unfriended though and was a little worried about her so I messaged a mutual friend of ours. She was the one who told me about the fundie thing. She said the husband probably disapproved of her and the kids meeting up with me and said no. Well sure, all he had to do was scroll through my FB page and see such hedonistic things as brewery tours, tank tops and GASP...Orange is the New Black binge-watching to know I was the wrong sort. I may have even shown my knee caps in a couple of pics. For shame!!! What's interesting is our mutual friend also got unfriended shortly after. She wonders if the husband made her clean house on Facebook. 

She was kind of my first fundie!!! Then the whole Duggar thing broke and my eyes were opened even wider. Now I'm sad for her. :(

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic