IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 3

happy atheist

Man, I guess I'm weird, but I would LOVE to live on the same street as my parents. Free childcare and access to Home cooked Sunday dinners!

I currently and going to School 3 hours away and I come visit every other week haha. 

Something I do envy the Fundie community for, is that the families are always so close, even the children that are married don't always move away. Of course, none of them really go to college or have careers that require them to move much, or learn about other cultures and ways of life.... 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jessalyn said:

Man, I guess I'm weird, but I would LOVE to live on the same street as my parents. Free childcare and access to Home cooked Sunday dinners!

I currently and going to School 3 hours away and I come visit every other week haha. 

Something I do envy the Fundie community for, is that the families are always so close, even the children that are married don't always move away. Of course, none of them really go to college or have careers that require them to move much, or learn about other cultures and ways of life.... 

But often it comes at a cost. Because the parents can and still do influence the life of their married kids and if a kid or couple starts doing things differently there will be trouble. There's trouble enough at a distance.  You couldn't pay me to live by my parents. 

• Upvote 5

I would love to live by my mom because she isn't overly judgmental or pushy. She's very helpful and the kids love her. 

My dad would be more of a pain because it is often his way or the highway. 

• Upvote 2

Mr Triplet and I bought a house just a couple of streets away from my Mum's house (Dad passed away, otherwise he'd be there too), in the neighbourhood I grew up in, and it's great. It's the ideal location for us. Several of my siblings also still live in the same town (two still with my Mum). It's lovely living so near family. Mind you, I have a great family, we're far from fundie, and my mother would never interfere with our lives in the way that fundie parents seem to with their adult children. She's happy to give advice when we want it, but isn't interfering. If we manage to have children then I think she'd be delighted to help us out with childcare etc.

I can completely see why people who don't get on with their family (or certain family members) wouldn't want to live near said family, though. Clearly if you have a negative relationship with your mother, for example, then it would be unpleasant to live near her.

• Upvote 4

my mom wouldn't help with childcare as she says they'd be ours solely to raise and she doesn't believe couples need date nights so it wouldn't be that useful living close by. She wants grandkids bad now but both my sister and myself are reluctant to rush into motherhood. My brother is marrying a good little no birth control fundie girl and living in the area so one of her kids is turning out right 

• Upvote 3

I know many people (classmates and clients) who have gone away for college or a career and have moved back to the area because it is what they know.

• Upvote 1

I just read though all 3 threads. I didn't realized what was all considered fundie. I grew up in a tiny town that had a few churches, but my family didn't go to church so I went with friends. I had one friend who was Christian science, their church wore the frumpers, long hair, men wore the khaki pants and light blue cotton button ups or suits depending on the ranking inside the church. My friends dad was pretty high up so when I attended I also had to wear the proper clothing, single braid (I had butt length hair) and keep sweet as her dad would say. I enjoyed the children's church. As I got older I went to the local Baptist church because they had programs for kids after school and awanas. Awanas was memorizing bible scriptures, we used king James version of the bible and had ATI work books, after school activities we could wear whatever we wanted, but Sunday girls had to wear skirts the boys slacks. We also have JW that come door to door monthly,  we have mormans (bibles on bikes) with a few temples as they call them, tons of meninites in the next few towns over and they own a discount grocery store and sell their baked goods and raw dairy products, they also run a car repair shop and work on big machinery, we have a couple Christian schools (One very conservative, one not so much) we have a couple Catholic schools in the area including Roman teachings, we have hare Krishnas a few towns north, we also have lizard people (ramtha). Then there are the Quakers, we have people moving south from seattle looking for cheaper housing and thats brought in the islamic people, about the only thing we dont have are jews and Amish people. With such a high mix of religions here we don't even think about it. It's more liberals vs conservative political crap that is noticed and argued. I live in a red county in a blue state. 

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

I was asked twice in the last few days about our church, and when I said that we are non-denominational, the reply was, "Kind of like Baptists, right?" So I made the attached image in case anybody wonders. 
I love my Baptist brothers and sisters, and I just wanted to clarify if that is what you are looking for doctrinally and organizationally, I don't want there to be any misunderstanding. That being said, we serve the same Lord and have the same Spirit living in us, and the preaching of the Word, loving prayers and praising God will always bring us together.

My ex posted this today in reference to his Church of the Holy Trailer.

Spoiler

18951205_1334628786652381_4061879272395856639_n.thumb.jpg.10f3f916ced9a8cca70e74ab5ce900de.jpg

Edited by FeministShrew
Putting photo in spoiler box.
  • Upvote 1

Oh my gosh you guys, I just opened a manila envelope addressed to the tiny village library I work at... it's from the FLDS in Colorado City, Arizona.  It is a 3 page manifesto titled "Revelation of the Lord JC given to Pres Warren S Jeffs Weds May 17, 2017."

Umm... umm... written by an unhinged brain, from the initial glance at the document.

I will scan and post it when I get home in a few hours.  SOMEONE must appreciate this fine work of literature.  

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

Oh my gosh you guys, I just opened a manila envelope addressed to the tiny village library I work at... it's from the FLDS in Colorado City, Arizona.  It is a 3 page manifesto titled "Revelation of the Lord JC given to Pres Warren S Jeffs Weds May 17, 2017."

Umm... umm... written by an unhinged brain, from the initial glance at the document.

I will scan and post it when I get home in a few hours.  SOMEONE must appreciate this fine work of literature.  

That might not make much sense. He's just getting more and more delusional in prison it seems.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2

Spoiler

scanfdls3.thumb.jpg.4c7deeddbedbe0150f2b627595afb500.jpg

Spoiler

scanfdls.jpg

Spoiler

scanfdls2.jpg

Edited by Coconut Flan
Inserted spoilers for poster.
  • Upvote 7

It basically says this:

"hi everyone. This is God. I chose a guy in prison for child rape to be my mouth piece. I saved the president like 10 times in the last few weeks. You're welcome. Respect the child rapist and listento him please. K thnx bye!"

• Upvote 13

WTF did I just read? That document was seriously off the wall. Between the repetition, pure BS and his conflating himself with Trump, I'm thinking a few drinks might help me make more sense of it, or at least be able to laugh!

• Upvote 2

I'm trying to figure out why they sent it to a library that serves 582 people.  They used an old PO Box, but in a town that small, the PO put it in the right box.

Perhaps 3 or 4 librarians ago, they had a fan.  Who knows.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

I'm trying to figure out why they sent it to a library that serves 582 people.  They used an old PO Box, but in a town that small, the PO put it in the right box.

Perhaps 3 or 4 librarians ago, they had a fan.  Who knows.

I work in a tiny library as well.  I've been away for a week (and my co-worker might or might not have collected the mail, as I forgot to leave her the PO Box key) -- can't wait to look and see if we received one of these too!  We do get some odd mailings that I often suspect are perhaps mass-mailed to many/all libraries -- could this be one of those?

Anyway, will report once I collect the library's mail, if we got one as well.

• Upvote 4

@MarblesMom--Out of a weird sense of curiosity, I have to ask; what will you do with it (the "revelation") now? I presume it won't be going on a library shelf. Compost? Recycling? Line a birdcage or a gerbil cage? Or do you have a personal collection of oddities? :pb_lol:

ETA--#17 is my favorite. Not self-serving at all! :laughing-rolling:

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
ETA
  • Upvote 7

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?I am going to take it in to the church, my other job :)  I am sure the Pastor will have some interesting commentary on it.  :ABON:

If I had a critter in a cage, I would definitely line the cage with it!

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

O.M.G! I am currently sitting in an outpatient surgery waiting room with  FIVE members of an Amish family. Great gramma and grandpa, senior mom, young mother and 9 month old baby girl. She is adorable and soooo serious looking. They are here for another relative's surgery.  I snuck a picture of the baby, but its just for me.. Withhout looking at the screen, I got a picture of her, nice and clear, but none of the adults are recognizable.

• Upvote 4

I happened upon this "Church of God" [according to the banner they were holding] group preaching at the masses in front of Union Station DC on Monday. 

I first thought they were Amish/Mennonite [which is why I photographed them from the back] but I knew they wouldn't be proselytizing.  Notice that several of the group were African-American.  It was about 90 degrees F (32 C) and they must have been roasting in these outfits.

churchofgod.jpg

• Upvote 4

A new mailing from Warren Jeffs!  I won't bore you it, but end of world doom, blah blah blah.  I feel so special that after a year of getting the mail here, these gems start to arrive.  Very entertaining stuff.

I also think he is a nut.  Why he is mailing this to a burg of 500, with no Mormon church for 40 miles around...?!  So mind boggling.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 05/07/2017 at 2:32 PM, HereticHick said:

I happened upon this "Church of God" [according to the banner they were holding] group preaching at the masses in front of Union Station DC on Monday. 

I first thought they were Amish/Mennonite [which is why I photographed them from the back] but I knew they wouldn't be proselytizing.  Notice that several of the group were African-American.  It was about 90 degrees F (32 C) and they must have been roasting in these outfits.

churchofgod.jpg

I think they are probably Church of God (Restoration) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_God_(Restoration)).  That style of womens' dress, with vests over long-sleeved blouses and long hair in a bun or plait with no hair covering seems to be distinct to them, and according to their website (http://www.churchofgod.net/), they are holding 'street meetings' in Washington and a number of other U.S. cities, plus Ottawa, in the first week or so of July.

Virtually all plain Anabaptist groups, like Amish and plain Mennonites, require adult women to wear at least a small hair covering in public, so you can probably safely assume that if a modestly-dressed woman isn't wearing one, she is a member of some other fundamentalist/traditionalist group.  Proselytizing, though, isn't necessarily a sign that people aren't plain Anabaptists.  While Amish (except perhaps for the New Order) and Old Order Mennonites don't usually actively proselytize, Amish-Mennonites and conservative Mennonites frequently do, though I think their evangelism in public places tends to be limited to handing out tracts and chorus singing, rather than the public preaching that the Church of God engages in.

• Upvote 6

Putting up with fundie inlaws today. So far I've heard stories of an 18 month old being spanked for refusing to eat a food he hated, and how people who do shoddy construction work evidently weren't spanked as kids to teach them discipline. Lord help me. 

Edited by EowynW
  • Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic