• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
happy atheist

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 3

507 posts in this topic

We have two Mormon missionaries living in our apatrment complex. Mr. Shrew has seen them riding their bikes on his way to & from work, as well as being picked up by a black 15-passenger van. He has no experience with any type of fundies (his mom was a United Methodist minister & pretty liberal), so he didn't know what they were, just thought they looked a bit out of the ordinary. Friday he was in the leasing office and they came in to pick up a package,so he got a good look. Clean cut w/really short haircuts, white shirts, black ties, black pants, Bibles(or Book of Mormon?), and nametags. Very youthful. He thought they were JWs for some reason, but after I googled Mormon missionaries  he said that's exactly what they look like.
I haven't spotted them yet, but at least they aren't going door to door in our complex. Of course, if they were, I'd probaly invite them in, feed them, & just happen to turn Netflix on for them.

Edited by FeministShrew
Add a few words.

The outfit you described is exactly how they dress when they go door-to-door. In the broadway show Book of Mormon that's how the actors dress on stage. 

I think my other halfs uncle and his wife are a fundie but I'm not 100% sure as I don't spend much time with her. 

Anyway I need you guys help. 

They flew to Kentucky from U.K. And visited that ark museum and then have just headed to Florida for a bible conference. Does anyone know if there is any fundie bible conferences in FL this weekend or week? (Or the week past) I think they're in the Orlando area 

I think it's safe to say that anyone who flies from the UK to visot the Ark Encounter is a fundie. 

20 hours ago, FeministShrew said:

We have two Mormon missionaries living in our apatrment complex. Mr. Shrew has seen them riding their bikes on his way to & from work, as well as being picked up by a black 15-passenger van. He has no experience with any type of fundies (his mom was a United Methodist minister & pretty liberal), so he didn't know what they were, just thought they looked a bit out of the ordinary. Friday he was in the leasing office and they came in to pick up a package,so he got a good look. Clean cut w/really short haircuts, white shirts, black ties, black pants, Bibles(or Book of Mormon?), and nametags. Very youthful. He thought they were JWs for some reason, but after I googled Mormon missionaries  he said that's exactly what they look like.
I haven't spotted them yet, but at least they aren't going door to door in our complex. Of course, if they were, I'd probaly invite them in, feed them, & just happen to turn Netflix on for them.

By their white shirts & black name tags ye shall know them! : ) Believe me, they will be knocking on your door soon.

[also, they always travel in pairs. So heathen ladies won't jump their bones at the grocery store, etc.]

On 23/04/2017 at 3:38 AM, GoddessOfVictory said:

The outfit was more closely related to the top photo you posted, though not exactly the same - the shirt was long-sleeved and one-piece and exactly matched the fabric of the skirt.

Something like this?

599ff08a189949e761ddbed41a2b1f07.jpg

I should note that, in the above photo and the one in my previous post, the stripy or tartan fabric that looks like a skirt is actually an apron worn over the skirt.  The skirt is usually the same colour and pattern as the upper garment, while the apron is a different pattern, but of a matching colour.  The girl you saw was presumably not wearing her apron.

This picture, taken from behind, gives a better view of the skirt:

hutterite-women-at-the-market-gerry-bate

Went to school with a skirt-only-wearing fundie girl. She was never allowed to hang out with anyone outside of her family/church. I ran into her last week (15 years later!) and she was wearing JEANS!!! Nice to see her freed.