IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 3

happy atheist

We have two Mormon missionaries living in our apatrment complex. Mr. Shrew has seen them riding their bikes on his way to & from work, as well as being picked up by a black 15-passenger van. He has no experience with any type of fundies (his mom was a United Methodist minister & pretty liberal), so he didn't know what they were, just thought they looked a bit out of the ordinary. Friday he was in the leasing office and they came in to pick up a package,so he got a good look. Clean cut w/really short haircuts, white shirts, black ties, black pants, Bibles(or Book of Mormon?), and nametags. Very youthful. He thought they were JWs for some reason, but after I googled Mormon missionaries  he said that's exactly what they look like.
I haven't spotted them yet, but at least they aren't going door to door in our complex. Of course, if they were, I'd probaly invite them in, feed them, & just happen to turn Netflix on for them.

Edited by FeministShrew
Add a few words.
  • Upvote 2

The outfit you described is exactly how they dress when they go door-to-door. In the broadway show Book of Mormon that's how the actors dress on stage. 

• Upvote 5

I think my other halfs uncle and his wife are a fundie but I'm not 100% sure as I don't spend much time with her. 

Anyway I need you guys help. 

They flew to Kentucky from U.K. And visited that ark museum and then have just headed to Florida for a bible conference. Does anyone know if there is any fundie bible conferences in FL this weekend or week? (Or the week past) I think they're in the Orlando area 

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, FeministShrew said:

We have two Mormon missionaries living in our apatrment complex. Mr. Shrew has seen them riding their bikes on his way to & from work, as well as being picked up by a black 15-passenger van. He has no experience with any type of fundies (his mom was a United Methodist minister & pretty liberal), so he didn't know what they were, just thought they looked a bit out of the ordinary. Friday he was in the leasing office and they came in to pick up a package,so he got a good look. Clean cut w/really short haircuts, white shirts, black ties, black pants, Bibles(or Book of Mormon?), and nametags. Very youthful. He thought they were JWs for some reason, but after I googled Mormon missionaries  he said that's exactly what they look like.
I haven't spotted them yet, but at least they aren't going door to door in our complex. Of course, if they were, I'd probaly invite them in, feed them, & just happen to turn Netflix on for them.

By their white shirts & black name tags ye shall know them! : ) Believe me, they will be knocking on your door soon.

[also, they always travel in pairs. So heathen ladies won't jump their bones at the grocery store, etc.]

• Upvote 6

On 23/04/2017 at 3:38 AM, GoddessOfVictory said:

The outfit was more closely related to the top photo you posted, though not exactly the same - the shirt was long-sleeved and one-piece and exactly matched the fabric of the skirt.

Something like this?

599ff08a189949e761ddbed41a2b1f07.jpg

I should note that, in the above photo and the one in my previous post, the stripy or tartan fabric that looks like a skirt is actually an apron worn over the skirt.  The skirt is usually the same colour and pattern as the upper garment, while the apron is a different pattern, but of a matching colour.  The girl you saw was presumably not wearing her apron.

This picture, taken from behind, gives a better view of the skirt:

hutterite-women-at-the-market-gerry-bate

• Upvote 5

Went to school with a skirt-only-wearing fundie girl. She was never allowed to hang out with anyone outside of her family/church. I ran into her last week (15 years later!) and she was wearing JEANS!!! Nice to see her freed.

• Upvote 5

On 4/25/2017 at 4:39 AM, RC-2017 said:

Something like this?

599ff08a189949e761ddbed41a2b1f07.jpg

I should note that, in the above photo and the one in my previous post, the stripy or tartan fabric that looks like a skirt is actually an apron worn over the skirt.  The skirt is usually the same colour and pattern as the upper garment, while the apron is a different pattern, but of a matching colour.  The girl you saw was presumably not wearing her apron.

That looks about right, just without the apron, like you said.

• Upvote 3

On 4/25/2017 at 5:39 AM, RC-2017 said:

Something like this?

(Snipped)

WTEverlivingF!? Are those kerchiefs covering or attached to close-fitting hoods? Hoods that cover the neck?  My word, that's frightening!

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 5

I have a great fundie sighting to report!

My husband and I were at a Super 8 hotel in Sioux Falls, South Dakota yesterday, we had spent the night there. We were having breakfast there yesterday morning and this fundie family with 7 children comes into the breakfast room I wish I had pictures but it would have looked bad taking pictures of them. Anyway, the mother wore a black head covering.  All of the girls wore skirts, even the toddler.  Normal shoes were worn, as it was a cold morning in the 30's. The husband wore all black. The two older daughters got their breakfast and ate in the lounge just outside of the breakfast area. I think the older boy was there  too.  Meanwhile Mom had 2 young children under 2 in high chairs at a 4-top table, a boy and a girl. They looked the same age so possibly fraternal twins.  Two more girls at the same table were older, maybe 6 and 8.   Mom spent most of her time running from kid to kid getting them breakfast. She barely had a chance to eat more than a piece of toast.  I think there were 5 girls and 2 boys.  The kids were quiet considering how many there were, even the youngest ones.  No crying or whining from any of them.  Probably blanket training is responsible for that.   The husband didn't help her with the little kids at all of course.   He just stood around.  

After we finished eating we got ready to leave, they were all gone when we came back.  

That's all I have! Quite an interesting encounter.

• Upvote 6

I live in a fairly small tourist town in Thailand - not a big destination like Phuket, Koh Samui or Pattaya - and we have a Kingdom Hall - prominently signposted from the main road - which is how I know about it!

The JWs get everywhere!

• Upvote 3

On 30/04/2017 at 7:04 AM, MamaJunebug said:

WTEverlivingF!? Are those kerchiefs covering or attached to close-fitting hoods? Hoods that cover the neck?  My word, that's frightening!

They aren't hoods.  A cap (probably similar to the soft caps worn by women in some Amish groups) is worn under the kerchief, but the neck covering is just the high collar of the blouse.  If you look at the woman on the far right in the picture you quoted, you can see a gap between the collar and the cap.  Here's a better view of the collar:

canada-alberta-hutterite-women-and-child

In contrast to the Lehrerleut, Dariusleut and Schmiedeleut women wear the collar of the blouse turned down:

csm_Hutterite_Women_e6631cf4e7.jpg

2B3049F000000578-3241966-image-a-29_1442

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, RC-2017 said:

They aren't hoods.  A cap (probably similar to the soft caps worn by women in some Amish groups) is worn under the kerchief, but the neck covering is just the high collar of the blouse.  If you look at the woman on the far right in the picture you quoted, you can see a gap between the collar and the cap. 

Thank you, @RC-2017!

I'm breathing easier. 

...unlike I'd be if I hadta wear a collar like that every waking hour ... [walking away & muttering]

• Upvote 4

On 4/24/2017 at 0:19 PM, HereticHick said:

By their white shirts & black name tags ye shall know them! : ) Believe me, they will be knocking on your door soon.

[also, they always travel in pairs. So heathen ladies won't jump their bones at the grocery store, etc.]

Yes, expect it at anytime.

Surprisingly, while I have seen Mormon missionaries in our area, we have not gotten a knock on the door from them yet. Did get JWs for a while, they disappeared, then briefly reappeared again.  Not sure why, but we are always on the lookout.  I am wanting to try my "you are just in time, the coven meets at 3 PM" routine on them.

• Upvote 4

I've seen Mormon missionaries "in the wild"(not unusual, since I live very close to where the LDS church was first formed), but have never had them come to mt door, unlike the JWs.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, RC-2017 said:

They aren't hoods.  A cap (probably similar to the soft caps worn by women in some Amish groups) is worn under the kerchief, but the neck covering is just the high collar of the blouse.  If you look at the woman on the far right in the picture you quoted, you can see a gap between the collar and the cap.  Here's a better view of the collar:

canada-alberta-hutterite-women-and-child

In contrast to the Lehrerleut, Dariusleut and Schmiedeleut women wear the collar of the blouse turned down:

csm_Hutterite_Women_e6631cf4e7.jpg

2B3049F000000578-3241966-image-a-29_1442

Jeez.  Stylish.  I was scrolling through this thread and at a quick glance, at first I thought it was a pic of the Maxwells.  :laughing-jumpingpurple:

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, LogansMama said:

Jeez.  Stylish.  I was scrolling through this thread and at a quick glance, at first I thought it was a pic of the Maxwells.  :laughing-jumpingpurple:

IKR? In the last photo, I thought sure the white-blonde lady second from the right was NR Anna's adopted sister!

• Upvote 2

I was at Target a little while ago and saw this car with scripture and other fundie stuffed pasted/taped all over it.  It was on the back window, the back bumper and both rear side windows.  What got me was not so much the fundie-ness of it all, but the sloppiness of it all.  Some of the signs were coming off.  I did see at least one customer in Target that looked fundie/fundie lite.  

• Upvote 3

I was on a 2-hour flight yesterday, and eavesdropped* on a conversation going on between two gentlemen in the row behind me.  One of the men was a pastor/missionary, and spent his time traveling between his home church and mission (two different countries).  His voice was amazing, and he explained that he also had a radio ministry with his wife.  (I kept picturing the couple portrayed by John Oliver and sidekick!)

Anyway, he droned on, and his voice was truly mesmerizing.  I converted instantly; ha ha, kidding!  The other man was fortunately quite adept at changing the topic from the gospel to innocuous travel and family life.   I'm glad the flight was a short one, because there is only so much proselytizing one can take, and I could tell the other gentleman was running out of ways to deflect the Good News.  I had to laugh when the man told the pastor he was raised Catholic.  That silenced the good pastor for a full minute.

I tried to put together enough clues to put a name to the pastor's ministry, but alas, there are so many of them that I couldn't narrow it down. 

*I really need to invest in earplugs or something...

• Upvote 8

Not fundie-related exactly, but I just passed a car with a window sticker that said "Jesus is my airbag". Not sure if they were serious or not.

• Upvote 13

I had a fundie encounter today and I couldn't wait to share it!!! I was at the animal adoption center where I volunteer earlier today and a fundie mom and three daughters walked in to ask if they could look at the kittens. They all had that down-to-the-butt hair. The girls had private school uniforms on–polo shirts with very long black skirts down to their feet, and flat black shoes. The mom had a long denim skirt with a cutoff hem, a regular shirt and cute sandals.

But the mom had TATTOOS!!!!! On both legs! I tried not to stare. They looked like flowers and birds possibly. As someone who is inked and loves tattoos I'm always checking out other people's artwork. But I couldn't believe I was seeing this on a fundie!!!!

The whole family was super nice and polite and seemingly normal. They carried on normal conversations and we talked about cats. I wondered what they thought of my defrauding low necked tank top where my bra straps were hanging out (it was 100º today and I didn't care what I looked like).

I spent the rest of the visit wondering about the tattoos. I am guessing  maybe she had them before she became fundie? Kind of like the Jeremy situation? But if that was the case, wouldn't she wear socks or shoes to hide them? I would have to think tattoos are frowned on in the fundie world. And they would be shameful. I don't know. But at any rate I can't stop thinking about the tattoos. And the mom mentioned that the kids go to a private school. So maybe they're fundie lite. I don't know. I keep thinking about the whole thing. I have problems. LOL

• Upvote 3

My IFB sister has tattoos, including a pretty big one on her ankle, that she got about a year before she married her current husband & went fundie. She lied & told people (& her husband) she got it "many years ago." It doesn't really matter, though, because her branch of IFB don't count any salvation experiences before you become one of them, so everything you did before you got "saved" with them is forgiven & covered. She uses the tattoo as part of her testimony of how she was a horrible sinner who is now saved. (She was just a normal, modern woman who had multiple relationships, went to college. & liked a drink on the weekends.)

• Upvote 6

On 5/4/2017 at 7:53 AM, mango_fandango said:

Not fundie-related exactly, but I just passed a car with a window sticker that said "Jesus is my airbag". Not sure if they were serious or not.

Saw this in Texas last summer: 

Jesus_Loves_You_Bumpersticker.jpg

• Upvote 14

Fundie new Mom cradling her hour old baby. Baby starts to cry loudly. Mom says "oh look he's rebellious already." 

True Story. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, EowynW said:

Fundie new Mom cradling her hour old baby. Baby starts to cry loudly. Mom says "oh look he's rebellious already." 

That's insane that sometime would say that. 

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic