IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 3

happy atheist

@Jucifer,  I haven't made Jiffy Pop in years!  My second grade teacher made it one day in school though.  That was about 55 years ago.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@Jucifer,  I haven't made Jiffy Pop in years!  My second grade teacher made it one day in school though.  That was about 55 years ago.

My friends and I were mesmerized by the TV commercial.  :)

When we had sleepovers Jiffy Pop was always on the menu. 

It's as much fun to make as it is to eat. :D

Edited by Jucifer
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jucifer said:

My friends and I were mesmerized by the TV commercial.  :)

When we had sleepovers Jiffy Pop was always on the menu. 

It's as much fun to make as it is to eat. :D

What is jiffy pop?  Australian here, never heard of it.

• Upvote 3

I tried to figure out how to post a link to the commercial but I couldn't. ;)

Search 'vintage jiffy pop genie commercial'. You'll find it on YouTube in all its glory. :D

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Percy said:

So it's just popcorn   :confused2:, I was expecting some weird and wonderful things 

You had to be there, I guess. It was a simpler time. 

I have to admit I always hoped the genie would show up. :)

Edited by Jucifer
  • Upvote 4

On 12/7/2016 at 11:07 PM, Jucifer said:

I was a SDA kid in the 60s and 70s. In the churches we belonged to at that time wedding rings were OK. I got the impression that the rules varied a bit from church to church.

In the mid 70s a discreet scatter pin or brooch started to be accepted. No earrings ever.

I was fascinated by jewelry from an early age.  ;)

Now making it and collecting it is my favorite hobby.  :D 

Yes thank you!! I should not have been so definitive.  Growing up the SDA community where I lived was watches only. 

• Upvote 2

Yesterday was at the Christmas market in Edinburgh town centre, there was a big ass red tent with ads for personality tests on the side. I took a closer look at it and realised it was basically recruiters for Scientology. It's pretty creepy how the guys on the stall were targeting younger folks and offering them techniques to get rid of stress and do well in interviews. The whole thing looked like one of these harmless but silly study aid groups that crop up anywhere that students are. I never really knew much about Scientology before now (other than it's weird and was started as a money trap by a rubbish Sci Fi writer) but I googled it when I got home and Holy Shit! The end goal of that red tent is to suck people in enough that they join up and eventually sign a billion year contract with Scientology so they can never escape. That's really freaky and worryingly the tent was right in the middle of where people had to go to get into the market so people going to buy things at the stalls literally have to walk past it and be approached by these guys.

• Upvote 9

Well the local fundies sent me a friend request on Facebook. I now have new fodder for when FJ gets a little slow. I will do my best not to get unfriended by Christmas. 

• Upvote 7

Friend and I were on the bus, on our way to hear the Gay Men's chorus. A guy comes up and tries to give us pamphlets on some God thing. Fiend says, "I'm blind," at the same time as I say, "I'm atheist." Guy withdraws immediately. I'm pretty sure that he was embarrassed about not noticing she was blind, though (he missed the big fluffy dog with Seeing Eye Dog harness right there) not put off by my atheism. Funny thing is, my friend has some eyesight and can read large print, but it was easier to just accept the stereotype rather than explain that she's happy as a blind Jew.

• Upvote 11

Once there were some young girls handing on pamphlets (long hair, looooong skirts, I think they were fundi-Baptists). I´m muslim and was very a head scarf at this time - they still approached me. My answer sended my at-this-time-husband into maniac laughter "Sorry girls, I´m working with the competition" (Tut mir leid, Madels, ich bin bei der Konkurrenz)

• Upvote 21

Saw a couple of middle aged guys handing out something Jesus-y today on a busy main shopping street and just walked right by them. Curiosity got the best of me as they were almost outside a non-fundie church which seemed weird.

Turns out the tract is from Revival Movement Association and was handed to me by a pretty extreme-sounding fundie church. Apparently I can email them when I decide to get saved! 

• Upvote 1

I don't know if this counts as fundie, but I went to high school with a few Apostolic Pentacostals. The girls had the long skirts and the looooong hair, but they seemed to fit in just fine in a public school environment. There was this sister pair only a year apart with rhymey names (think Haley and Bailey). The younger one had floor-length hair that she always pulled into elaborate Pentacostal-chic updos that were really intense. There was clearly no sentiment towards female submission, since the older one had a reputation for being assertive and even a know-it-all, but also became the valedictorian in her graduating class and I think she's studying abroad now (like really, not being a fake missionary). It seems like their whole family values education and no one was married off at an absurdly young age.

• Upvote 4

@Stormy, I went to school with a few girls like that too. Beautiful hair to the floor, never cut, and lots of jean skirts. But they were nice to everyone, I never heard any preaching, and one of them just got her Masters -- I believe in social work. 

• Upvote 2

Not necessarily a fundie encounter, but at work I wrap a lot of gifts, especially around the holidays. We do not ask for payment or expect to receive tips for wrapping, but occasionally someone will kindly give a dollar or two. I wrapped a gift for this nice old man and when I was done he thanked me and said "can I give you this?" and handed me what looked like a brochure. I took it and set it aside as I immediately had to help some other people.

It was only later, when I saw it again, that I realized what he gave me was a tract about the "gift" of Jesus.

• Upvote 7

This is what I get for posting late at night. I forgot about the other two fundie encounters I've had recently.

I saw a fundie in a snowskirt. It was like snowpant material, except it was made into a skirt. This was worn by the mom of a fundie family that was shopping where I work. She also had a longer ankle-length jean skirt on underneath it. All the girls and women were in skirts except one girl, who was in bulky snowpants.
Anway, that snowskirt was a first for me.

The other encounter was with the family I talked about way, way up thread - the mom who'd gone prematurely grey. She was shopping where I work and this time she only had three of her kids with her. They spent about 20 minutes or so in the store and in that entire time I don't think the kids said more than 5 words to each or to their mom. These kids looked to be in the 10 -15 age range. Each of them looked extremely dejected and they reminded me a lot of how JRod's kids look. Sort of thin and neglected.
Anyway, when the mom was purchasing her items, the girl reached up to touch something on the counter that was not in any way breakable. All the mom said was "don't" and that girl snatched her hand back so quick you'd have thought she burned it.
I feel so bad for those kids. I hope their home life is better than what I imagine.

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, GoddessOfVictory said:

All the mom said was "don't" and that girl snatched her hand back so quick you'd have thought she burned it.

My mom thought my kids were "abused" because they never asked for anything in the check-out lane. I'd taught them that they were not to ask...mostly because in those days the budget was so tight that extras just weren't happening. They also knew not to touch things in the store. They knew that they were to keep one hand on the cart at all times. If they started getting squirrely, I'd say their name and that was that. They knew the rules...and that the rules were to be obeyed. They knew the consequences (that did NOT involve any sort of physical punishment, I had better ways to punish them)...and chose not to push their luck. 

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, feministxtian said:

My mom thought my kids were "abused" because they never asked for anything in the check-out lane. I'd taught them that they were not to ask...mostly because in those days the budget was so tight that extras just weren't happening. They also knew not to touch things in the store. They knew that they were to keep one hand on the cart at all times. If they started getting squirrely, I'd say their name and that was that. They knew the rules...and that the rules were to be obeyed. They knew the consequences (that did NOT involve any sort of physical punishment, I had better ways to punish them)...and chose not to push their luck. 

I sure hope the kids I saw are not abused. The incident just seemed so out-of-place considering the kids had been very well-behaved during the entire time they were shopping, and they barely said a peep to each other or the mom! There was definitely no whining or begging from these kids. I really think the girl just wanted to feel what the item (a silicone gorilla) felt like.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, GoddessOfVictory said:

I sure hope the kids I saw are not abused. The incident just seemed so out-of-place considering the kids had been very well-behaved during the entire time they were shopping, and they barely said a peep to each other or the mom! There was definitely no whining or begging from these kids. I really think the girl just wanted to feel what the item (a silicone gorilla) felt like.

I know that one. But, the rule was "no touching" and there were no exceptions. I would have fixed the child with a look and that would have been that. My tribe knew to behave out in public. Having a bunch of kids makes it necessary to sometimes "train" them to behave and understand there would be consequences. The first time you let one get away with something, then they all end up deciding they can get away with something and chaos ensues. Two school-aged kids, a pre-schooler, a toddler and an infant makes it so mom needs to keep control over the situations at all times or mom can NEVER get out of the house (because going out alone just doesn't happen).

• Upvote 4

On Tuesday, January 03, 2017 at 5:53 AM, feministxtian said:

They knew that they were to keep one hand on the cart at all times

My sister used to have her 5 kids each have one hand on the shopping cart when they were at a store. She joked that one of the kids would hold on to the cart as a teenager (years after their mom required it) out of habit. I still want to know how she pushed the cart with all the kids attached.

Thankfully, with only 2 kids, I get to shop alone sometimes. :) I would not make a good mom to a multitude and I greatly admire the moms who do a good job with larger numbers. (That's how the Duggars, Bateseses, and others sucked me in; until I discovered that they just suck.)

• Upvote 6

Just now, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

My sister used to have her 5 kids each have one hand on the shopping cart when they were at a store. She joked that one of the kids would hold on to the cart as a teenager (years after their mom required it) out of habit. I still want to know how she pushed the cart with all the kids attached.

Yup! MUST be touching the cart. When they were small it was a nightmare...the newborn in a front pack, the 2 year old in the buggy seat, the three year old walking next to me and whining and the 5 and 7 year olds at each side at the front of it. By the way, that was the day I got out of the hospital with the newborn. The X went to work that afternoon, worked a 3-11 shift. It got easier as they got older, especially since I could go while they were in school...however, leaving them at home was a no-no with the X. It was "not his job" to keep the children. One of many reasons he is an X. 

• Upvote 6

Just now, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

As I said, @feministxtian, I admire the moms of many who do it well. :clap: (It sounds like he belonged in "the X file".)

I will not lie though...I now revel in my "empty nest"...it's like being a teenager, just with the money and wheels to have fun!

• Upvote 3

On 1/4/2017 at 11:46 PM, feministxtian said:

I will not lie though...I now revel in my "empty nest"...it's like being a teenager, just with the money and wheels to have fun!

My nest is empty but the drama llamas still call.....:my_sad:

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, DaniLouisiana said:

My nest is empty but the drama llamas still call.....:my_sad:

My drama llamas got cut off...after the cumulative total of loans owed to me topped 20 grand and they didn't give a shit i was sleeping in my truck. Fk 'em...I got no use for them anymore. Bunch of selfish little shits. 

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic