IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 3

happy atheist

On 4.2.2016 at 5:31 PM, Gimme a Free RV said:

I was home Sunday morning (and NOT at church!!!!) and there was a knock on my front door.

ME:  Who is it?

VOICE:  Danielle.

ME:  Danielle, what do you need?

VOICE:  I wanted to know if there are Spanish-speaking people in this neighborhood.

ME:    :huh:    **opens door because yo hablo un poquito**

DRESSED UP WOMAN and MAN (obviously JWs from the materials in hand):  Hi, I'm Danielle and we're trying to find out if there are Spanish-speaking people in your neighborhood.  Do you know of any?

ME:  No.  I don't.  Bye.

This happened to me in the UK! A guy knocked on my door, and when I opened it he started speaking to me in Polish. He had a bunch of JW tracts in his hand also. I was all, "um, hi?" and he was like, oh sorry, you're not Polish? No. Do you know any Polish people here? No (total lie, I know quite a lot, but I'm not inflicting JWs on them!)

• Upvote 5

Another mailer!  This one from a new(!) church (said new church is 'only' 2 years old) and meets at a local hotel (which made me wonder because I know that a satellite location of a local large church meets at the same hotel).  So I let my fingers do the walking to their website and then began digging.

I find Pastoral degree references to World Harvest Church and World Harvest Bible College (now Valor Christian College) and Rod Parsley.  Said college offers 2-year degrees.  

(Right, I'm so (not) going there - I attend a church where senior pastor teaches new testament greek to those interested in the church and likewise teaches at a seminary 2 hours away - nope, not giving up the geek)

My browse of wikipedia on WHC showed me -oh look! - an IRS investigation and a child abuse scandal related to the churches daycare.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Harvest_Church

Thanks for the mailer I now have to recycle, Fundie Pentecostals.  

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, clueliss said:

Thanks for the mailer I now have to recycle, Fundie Pentecostals.  

Hmmm, you've given me an idea, clueless(a misnomer if there ever was one!)   I'll save all the proselytizing paper we get and make some sort of pagan craft with it.  Then, I'll present it to the sending institution.  A head of Baphomet, anyone?

• Upvote 6

21 hours ago, clueliss said:

My browse of wikipedia on WHC showed me -oh look! - an IRS investigation and a child abuse scandal related to the churches daycare.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Harvest_Church

I was especially interested in how the church's first response was to sue their insurers, for not covering them for child abuse!!  Now there's a gap in the market I can't ever see being filled!

• Upvote 3

So I was home schooled. My parents were conservative Christian, however the main reason behind the homeschooling was for my education. BUT nobody else in our area was "normal" that home schooled. ALL looked and acted like the Duggar family. When I was young it was amusing, middle school aged it was mortifying to be seen in public with these people, and finally after I had graduated home school high school and went away to college (I KNOW COLLEGE, RIGHT?), it was amusing to see just how far these other girls had fallen from their parents' ideals.  One was "living in sin" with a boy, her sister was pregnant with a man's child she wasn't married to, and others married very young for nothing more than "jiggy jiggy" and freedom, and still others tried really hard to fit in with society but it was sad. Very sad. 

On 9/23/2016 at 1:01 PM, I love Pringles said:

I am apparently locked in a passive aggressive form of some battle with my fundie neighbor.  We moved here in march and ended up with church pamphlets on my door like two days later. Then about a week later the neighbor woman came to the door with cookies to invite me to their church and welcome me to the neighborhood. I thanked her and told her I appreciated the cookies but that we were Jewish.

I can't even describe what her face did. It like turned into a disapproving grandmother look but she didn't say anything and left. A few days later a huge cross appeared in their yard decked out with Christmas lights and a small sign that read 'Jesus is the only salvation.'

I grew up in this area so I know people get overly Jesus in their decorations so I ignore it. At this point I'm not thinking about the neighbors just doing stuff like normal. We painted our deck a nice blue and set up our green house and all that. 

Then I get a letter in the mailbox because they had seen me declare my love to Israel by painting my deck blue. That I need to save my soul from eternal damnation.  Anyway this is getting very long but they have apparently decided everything we do is a declaration of war with them. They've painted crosses on the front of their trailer and their kids are not allowed to even talk to my kids.

I'm kind of dreading their 'retaliation' when Sukkot gets here and we build our sukkah. But its endlessly entertaining and I keep getting religious tracks in my mailbox

My neighbors fly a confederate flag in their front yard and do the same song and dance about their church. Yet their daughter has a kid out of wed lock that they raise because she "gave him to them" and the grandmother (my crazy neighbor) screams and yells at this boy. It is so sad. 

On 8/3/2016 at 7:41 AM, Swamptribe said:

"Bless your heart" translates as "you're so stupid".  "My how nice" translates as "I don't give a f*&ck".

And suddenly all those things my ex's grandmother said to me make so much more sense...I thought she liked me. LOL they hated me!!

• Upvote 2

This is my first time getting to post a fundie encounter! You don't run across them very often in this area. The closest I've come is occasionally seeing a Mennonite in the mall or my cousin back home that converted from mainstream protestant to apostolic. 

Anyway, the other day I was taking my daughter to swim class and I parked next to a minivan that had a decal that had arrows on it, the phrase "Raising Arrows" under that, and then a Bible verse, which I'm assuming is the one referring to the man who has his quiver full being blessed. I didn't get the chance to see the family, but the Star Wars stickers showed "only" four kids, so I may not have noticed anything if I'd seen them.

• Upvote 1

This isn't Fundie, per se, but I don't know where else to post this (so I apologize if this isn't the right place).

About a month or so ago, I went to a local convenient store for a quick potty break & to get a beverage. As I walked to the door, an Amish gentleman was there with a friend of his (I'm guessing), & he held the door open for me. I nodded & said thank you, & he nodded back. That just tickled me; not just because he was Amish, but politeness is such a big thing for me.

• Upvote 6

I went to a Canadian Thanksgiving (not this year, but last year) with people who called themselves 'the good fundamentalists'. Admittedly, they aren't nearly the level of crazy we see here. For instance, I know them through my roommate who is female, had short hair, and is in law school with me and very much not a SAHD

At the same time they are KJV only and they called the new trans chaplain at my school a tranny and said they were an offence to God. And at dinner we had to pray for the unbelievers and listen to a speech about how they needed to be brought to God or burn in hell. I basically just sat there hoping they would not find out they had an unbeliever at their very table or else it probably would have been a bad night for me (no matter if they spent the night condemning me or, perhaps worse, trying to help me find Jesus...).

Not that exciting, but probably my closest fundie encounter. Needless to say I have not seen them since.

• Upvote 4

You guys.

My friend is over here visiting from America.  She is American, but I met her while she was living in the UK. A couple of years ago she went back to America and now lives in Florida.

So we were talking yesterday, and she told me about someone she met in Florida who seems to be super fundy. She was explaining that she feels sorry for this lady because she and her husband wanted to be missionaries, but they can't because they can't find a sponsoring church. They are super-fundamentalist-Baptist, long skirts, long hair, homeschooling etc, but because they have a different view of eschatology they won't sign any Baptist statements of faith, so the churches won't support them. Anyway, my friend then mentioned that this lady sent her a "really great video" of a preacher they loved, but my friend thought he was hateful.

Her: I forget his name, Steven something

Me: Not Steven Anderson?????

Her: Yes!!!!! Oh my gosh!!!!!

Me: Whhaaaaatttttt

her: Whhhaattttttttttt

*screaming*

My friend watched parts of this video of PP's preaching and thought he was a hateful, horrible individual.  But apparently this fundy baptist lady thinks he is wonderful and godly. Fundy baptist husband, who is apparently "very sensitive to character", thought PP was a jerk at first, but then they "prayed about it" and decided that actually he was a godly man and people should just get past his horrible, offensive, abrasive preaching and realise that he's speaking the truth.  Even better, this fundy baptist family live in an RV (so they can be ready either for missionary service or the rapture at a moment's notice), and so when they were going out to California to visit fundy baptist lady's family, they stopped off at PP's church.  She told my friend that PP is friendly and nice in person (so, two-faced and hypocritical, as my friend put it), and took the trouble to show her IN HER OWN BIBLE a particular verse he was talking about. Somehow that makes him a caring person? Sure he beats his kids with a belt and bans his wife from voting and punches out people who disagree with him, but because he uses her own Bible to point out a verse he's an amazing man. Wow....such godly....so compassion.....

I'm still feeling a little flipped out by this, because nobody outside FJ I know had ever come across PP!

• Upvote 17

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:57 AM, LadyCrow1313 said:

This isn't Fundie, per se, but I don't know where else to post this (so I apologize if this isn't the right place).

About a month or so ago, I went to a local convenient store for a quick potty break & to get a beverage. As I walked to the door, an Amish gentleman was there with a friend of his (I'm guessing), & he held the door open for me. I nodded & said thank you, & he nodded back. That just tickled me; not just because he was Amish, but politeness is such a big thing for me.

speaking of Amish people, here's something I've noticed:  there is a bulk-foods store near here that I go to every couple of months.  All of the employees are Amish, and most of the cashiers are young women.  occasionally, there will be middle-aged men cashing us out, and the men are always far more willing to chat with me than the women.  frequently, the women don't talk beyond hello and thank you.  but the men will ask about my dog when I buy a pizzle, or comment on something that was just made that day.

Edited by catlady
forgot to proofread
  • Upvote 2

@catlady I have the same experiences with the Hutterites.  The menfolk can speak to strangers, while the women are mute.  I wonder if they are instructed to not speak to outsiders.

• Upvote 2

This isn't really a fundie encounter. I've been working temporarily with a guy whose stepdaughter is involved with ATI/IBLP. The stepdaughter and her her husband have three kids and homeschool. The stepdaughter had health issues after the birth of the third child and and had to get a hysterectomy. She and her husband have been trying to adopt. My temporary co-worker said that the stepdaughter and husband were dealing with an adoption agency for awhile, but that their file got closed because they couldn't come up with the agency fees. The stepdaughter's husband has a shaky work history. He has quit sales jobs over the years and other agencies rejected them because of that. While I don't think couples need to be rich to adopt, I'm glad that adoption agencies are refusing to work with fundies with shaky work histories. 

• Upvote 3

And I left my apartment yesterday morning to find a door hanger on the ground next to the door.  I think it was meant to go on the doorknob or in the door jamb but no, it was on the ground.

Nearby church of christ having an annual gospel meeting.  I interpret this as 'revival.'  I'm also figuring that they hit the apartment complex thinking all of us unsaved heathens who will burn and hey - lots of doors, small area.  Said flyer was a sheet of paper in a clear plastic sleeve.  I'm deducting points for the clear plastic sleeve.  

Featured speaker?  Greg Gay (naturally the name reminds me of ex-gay Greg and DeeDee).  And it was that he is an editor for the periodical "Old Paths Advocate."  Thanks fundies - you gave me enough to go google exploring.  

I find this dandy on the page.  A page dedicated to why you should not be in the military and can't serve.

http://www.oldpathsadvocate.org/public/php-scripts/carnalWarfare.php

Oh look: 

Divorce is ebil:  http://www.oldpathsadvocate.org/public/php-scripts/doctrinalIssues/divorceRemarriage.php

Covering women, headship!  modesty!  (I can't read all that but am linking for your snark pleasure)

http://www.oldpathsadvocate.org/public/php-scripts/doctrinalIssues/letHerBeCovered.php

I feel like a fundie mailing magnet lately.  

• Upvote 6

14 hours ago, clueliss said:

And I left my apartment yesterday morning to find a door hanger on the ground next to the door.  I think it was meant to go on the doorknob or in the door jamb but no, it was on the ground.

Nearby church of christ having an annual gospel meeting.  I interpret this as 'revival.'  I'm also figuring that they hit the apartment complex thinking all of us unsaved heathens who will burn and hey - lots of doors, small area.  Said flyer was a sheet of paper in a clear plastic sleeve.  I'm deducting points for the clear plastic sleeve.  

Featured speaker?  Greg Gay (naturally the name reminds me of ex-gay Greg and DeeDee).  And it was that he is an editor for the periodical "Old Paths Advocate."  Thanks fundies - you gave me enough to go google exploring.  

I find this dandy on the page.  A page dedicated to why you should not be in the military and can't serve.

http://www.oldpathsadvocate.org/public/php-scripts/carnalWarfare.php

Oh look: 

Divorce is ebil:  http://www.oldpathsadvocate.org/public/php-scripts/doctrinalIssues/divorceRemarriage.php

Covering women, headship!  modesty!  (I can't read all that but am linking for your snark pleasure)

http://www.oldpathsadvocate.org/public/php-scripts/doctrinalIssues/letHerBeCovered.php

I feel like a fundie mailing magnet lately.  

Omg this needs its own thread.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was in my GP surgery yesterday, picking up a repeat prescription, and in front of me was an older gentleman with a giant cross propped up on his shoulder - like over 6 foot tall, with a wheel on the bottom.  After he'd dealt with the receptionist, he asked her if she wanted a leaflet about how to be saved.  She very politely declined, we all waited til he left, then everyone was all WTF just happened.  Apparently he's new to the neighbourhood, and wheels his giant cross around the streets, and brought it into the waiting room last week just to wheel around the people, and leave again!!!

This is NOT the sort of thing that usually happens in this part of my UK city, I can tell you! 

ETA.  I do NOT understand the wheely cross, personally.  He's carrying it to share Jesus' suffering, or remind people of Jesus, or something?  I have no idea, but having a little wheel on the bottom takes away the burden aspect, surely?  I would love any insight!

Edited by Lurky
  • Upvote 8

45 minutes ago, Lurky said:

I do NOT understand the wheely cross, personally.

Another wheely cross guy!  We had one in California, about 25 years ago, that would walk up and down a major  6 lane boulevard through our city.  I thought the same thing:  if you are trying to make a point, lose the wheel.

• Upvote 4

In my neighborhood, there's a taqueria called Jesus' Tacos. I can just see the owners of Tacos 4 Life hopping mad that someone stole their first-choice name.

• Upvote 2

When I lived in a prairie province, I had a Hutterite family that were customers of mine. I found them to be happy and friendly. The older women would bring me homemade sausages and fresh baked bread just because-  It was so good! If they were coming into town they'd often call me and ask, "Would you like some veggies?", and come by with an apple box filled with whatever. We got along well and I was never treated like some evil worldly person.

If I had to be from a fundamentalist type family, I'd probably pick Hutterite. They seem less restricted and less isolated from the rest of the world. They bring in teachers from the outside to teach the provincial curriculum and treat them well. The only thing is after 15, they don't usually want the kids going any further in their education :/ . 

• Upvote 2

On 9/23/2016 at 6:01 PM, I love Pringles said:

I am apparently locked in a passive aggressive form of some battle with my fundie neighbor.  We moved here in march and ended up with church pamphlets on my door like two days later. Then about a week later the neighbor woman came to the door with cookies to invite me to their church and welcome me to the neighborhood. I thanked her and told her I appreciated the cookies but that we were Jewish.

I can't even describe what her face did. It like turned into a disapproving grandmother look but she didn't say anything and left. A few days later a huge cross appeared in their yard decked out with Christmas lights and a small sign that read 'Jesus is the only salvation.'

I grew up in this area so I know people get overly Jesus in their decorations so I ignore it. At this point I'm not thinking about the neighbors just doing stuff like normal. We painted our deck a nice blue and set up our green house and all that. 

Then I get a letter in the mailbox because they had seen me declare my love to Israel by painting my deck blue. That I need to save my soul from eternal damnation.  Anyway this is getting very long but they have apparently decided everything we do is a declaration of war with them. They've painted crosses on the front of their trailer and their kids are not allowed to even talk to my kids.

I'm kind of dreading their 'retaliation' when Sukkot gets here and we build our sukkah. But its endlessly entertaining and I keep getting religious tracks in my mailbox

You know, there is definitely a line, and they crossed it.

This is all very LOL, though

• Upvote 1

So, I went out on a date with a formerly fundie man the other night. He brought up his past by saying "So...have you heard of the Duggars?" I'm like..."why yes, I think I may have heard their name in passing..." 

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 20

They are currently knocking on my back door.  I am hiding in the kitchen.  

Marbles wants to eat them.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

They are currently knocking on my back door.  I am hiding in the kitchen.  

Marbles wants to eat them.

The Duggars are knocking on your backdoor?

• Upvote 1

This is a sort of a yearly(not this year, I hope!) fundi encounter-every year at Christmas my in-laws invite a mother and son from their church to dinner. The son Demanded that we change the channel when commercial for a Harry Potter movie came on. When he came into the kitchen to make his demand he ran straight into a dicussion of paganism between myself, my SIL and my trans son (who he had met before he came out as trans). They couldn't leave the house fast enough. Cut to a couple of days later at the grocery store- my same son ran into these people, was as polite as he could be, asked if they needed any help...they again ran away. Rude. And these people call themselves 'Christian'.

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic