IGNORED

Erika Shupe *grim rictus* Large Families on Purpose Part 3

happy atheist

She talks a lot about saving money in that post, but a lot of that really doesn't make sense from a money-saving perspective. Or it's just needlessly restrictive. I find it hard to believe that a single box of crackers would last a whole week with that many children (although Erika may be stingy enough with the snacks that it does last). Wheat thins and triscuits are made by the same company, they're almost always the same price at the same time. If you have to buy 2 boxes of crackers anyway, why not get one of each?

As far as savings go, being so tied down to a rotation is a really good way to spend a lot more money than you need to. If it's the week for nectarines, but grapes are on sale, why pay full price for nectarines? I'm sure it would be tough for her to take the time to do actual full-on comparison shopping, but there's no reason not to at least glance at the store ads to make a shopping list.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karen and Melanie did a duet at their family Thanksgiving thing, playing some Christmas tunes. Erika posted the link on the FB page. I've never heard the Duggar kids play their violins so can't compare (although I know the Duggar playing style is shite.) 

Only a few seconds in and I think they sound OK, no real knowledge of music here though. The first one seems to be The First Noel, a sort of extended version of the chorus as far as I can tell (I don't know that one so well). They then move into one I don't recognise (someone help me out? Presumably as fundies they know these tunes better than I did. I went to a C of E primary school but we mainly stuck to the same carols every year for our school Carol Service). 

OK, watching more, The First Noel is the only one I recognise. They don't announce which ones they're doing, they just kind of merge all the tunes into one. 

She talks a lot about saving money in that post, but a lot of that really doesn't make sense from a money-saving perspective. Or it's just needlessly restrictive. I find it hard to believe that a single box of crackers would last a whole week with that many children (although Erika may be stingy enough with the snacks that it does last). Wheat thins and triscuits are made by the same company, they're almost always the same price at the same time. If you have to buy 2 boxes of crackers anyway, why not get one of each?

As far as savings go, being so tied down to a rotation is a really good way to spend a lot more money than you need to. If it's the week for nectarines, but grapes are on sale, why pay full price for nectarines? I'm sure it would be tough for her to take the time to do actual full-on comparison shopping, but there's no reason not to at least glance at the store ads to make a shopping list.

I have a feeling the crackers are probably purchased from Costco. Otherwise, she may use them instead of chips for her "chip day."

I also doubt she's tied to a particular fruit schedule. If money is as tight as she says it is (and I have a feeling it was for awhile), then she probably purchases whatever is cheapest and tells the kids to be grateful.

I have a feeling the crackers are probably purchased from Costco. Otherwise, she may use them instead of chips for her "chip day."

I also doubt she's tied to a particular fruit schedule. If money is as tight as she says it is (and I have a feeling it was for awhile), then she probably purchases whatever is cheapest and tells the kids to be grateful.

Agree w/ everything being Costco. I think she primarily shops there & WalMart & based on her lists buys practically the same thing all the time. Her methods are practically institutionalized as far as cooking/feeding lots of people go.

Karen and Melanie did a duet at their family Thanksgiving thing, playing some Christmas tunes. Erika posted the link on the FB page. I've never heard the Duggar kids play their violins so can't compare (although I know the Duggar playing style is shite.) 

Only a few seconds in and I think they sound OK, no real knowledge of music here though. The first one seems to be The First Noel, a sort of extended version of the chorus as far as I can tell (I don't know that one so well). They then move into one I don't recognise (someone help me out? Presumably as fundies they know these tunes better than I did. I went to a C of E primary school but we mainly stuck to the same carols every year for our school Carol Service). 

OK, watching more, The First Noel is the only one I recognise. They don't announce which ones they're doing, they just kind of merge all the tunes into one. 

I was not too bad but towards the end I think one of them didn't play their bit correctly. Still, it is much better than I would ever do and playing in front of people is always hard. Go Karen and Melanie!

Erika's posted a Thanksgiving album. It includes photos of Lacey and Lilly receiving clothes, which is apparently their all-time favourite thing to receive (as gifts). All the clothes are matchy-matchy: bright pink Adidas hoodies and what looks to be three sets of matching dresses and leggings, in pink, purple and turquoise-y blue.  (Well, technically six sets, one set of each colour per twin.) (They do joint family birthday celebrations twelve times a year, once a month, for every person in the family born that month.) They played bingo and watched a football game, weird as the Shupes are anti-organised sports, like Stevehovah is. I suppose Erika's more against her kids getting involved, and watching the occasional game with family isn't such an issue.

The butter tree icks me out. The tree shape is fine but sprinkles? Is it...meant to be eaten or is it more along the lines of the Butter Sculpture contest at the MN State Fair? 

The butter tree icks me out. The tree shape is fine but sprinkles? Is it...meant to be eaten or is it more along the lines of the Butter Sculpture contest at the MN State Fair? 

I thought the butter tree was cute. I thought the sprinkles were a little odd, but maybe they like eating Fairy Bread?

Erika's posted a Thanksgiving album. It includes photos of Lacey and Lilly receiving clothes, which is apparently their all-time favourite thing to receive (as gifts). All the clothes are matchy-matchy: bright pink Adidas hoodies and what looks to be three sets of matching dresses and leggings, in pink, purple and turquoise-y blue.  (Well, technically six sets, one set of each colour per twin.) (They do joint family birthday celebrations twelve times a year, once a month, for every person in the family born that month.) They played bingo and watched a football game, weird as the Shupes are anti-organised sports, like Stevehovah is. I suppose Erika's more against her kids getting involved, and watching the occasional game with family isn't such an issue.

I'm definitely shocked that she advertised the fact that they were watching football, given how anti-organized sports she is. I couldn't tell if Erika was being sarcastic when she said the twins love clothes. I know at that age clothes were pretty low on the desirability list for me. But looking at their poses in the pictures, they look pretty jazzed to get those clothes so good for them!

I'm definitely shocked that she advertised the fact that they were watching football, given how anti-organized sports she is. I couldn't tell if Erika was being sarcastic when she said the twins love clothes. I know at that age clothes were pretty low on the desirability list for me. But looking at their poses in the pictures, they look pretty jazzed to get those clothes so good for them!

Well, everyone's different, I guess! 

I think, with the sports thing, Erika's mostly against her kids getting involved and having to ferry them to different meets and buy expensive kit/equipment, and being taken away from "quality family time" as she'd say. Watching an occasional match on TV probably isn't so problematic- her family are a lot less fundie than she is and it's probably something they can talk about together. Steve Maxwell, as we know, is far more extreme and isolationist. One old post on their blog mentioned how "sad" Nathan felt when he was walking past houses and could see lights from a TV, and mentioned how they likely weren't spending time in the Bible together or some such shit. 

I thought the butter tree was cute. I thought the sprinkles were a little odd, but maybe they like eating Fairy Bread?

I totally forgot Fairy Bread was a thing!!
I also think it's not...appetizing.
(But I do love honey butter...)

Maybe I'm over butter art from the aforementioned butter carving event. Butter busts are super duper creepy. 

Observe! (IMO, they're creepier when they're in the rotating freezer....eee..eeeee...eeee....BUTTERFACE!!! ) 

butterfate.jpg

I totally forgot Fairy Bread was a thing!!I also think it's not...appetizing.
(But I do love honey butter...)

Maybe I'm over butter art from the aforementioned butter carving event. Butter busts are super duper creepy. 

Observe! (IMO, they're creepier when they're in the rotating freezer....eee..eeeee...eeee....BUTTERFACE!!! ) 

butterfate.jpg

Fairy Bread sounds gross to me too. Maybe it's something you have to grow up with? A butter bust is creepy af. But now that I've seen a butter tree, I think one will grace my Christmas dinner table. I hate that Erika has ever given me an idea for anything.

I feel compelled to share the butter Last Supper from the Iowa State Fair. Now THIS is how a butter sculpture is done...

butter1 (1).png

In her fairly recent blog post Large Family Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping, Erika writes in "breakfast plans": "but now we need to cut our grocery bill down as much as possible and these things are fairly expensive (some more than others)."

Did I miss something? Are there financial troubles in Shupe-land? For the kids sake, I hope not.

In her fairly recent blog post Large Family Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping, Erika writes in "breakfast plans": "but now we need to cut our grocery bill down as much as possible and these things are fairly expensive (some more than others)."

Did I miss something? Are there financial troubles in Shupe-land? For the kids sake, I hope not.

Remember, these will be re-posts. The original version was posted in September 2011. When she does a re-post, she occasionally updates the text (rarely, actually) and may add new photos. I think she mostly re-posts because people on the FB page ask for specific posts (and clearly can't be bothered to search the blog).

Some heathen at Thanksgiving was wearing yoga pants!  Erika's sister in law?

Also, I wonder if they buy the twins matchy match new clothes for their birthday since otherwise they're thrifting & not able to get matching outfits?

Some heathen at Thanksgiving was wearing yoga pants!  Erika's sister in law?

Also, I wonder if they buy the twins matchy match new clothes for their birthday since otherwise they're thrifting & not able to get matching outfits?

The Shupes (and specifically the girls) are the only branch of the family who are skirts only. IIRC, the family is religious, but none so much as the Shupes/Erika and Bob. Pretty much every female is wearing pants in that album except for Erika, Karen, Melanie, Anna Marie and the twins. I saw somewhere that there are topics they (the family) disagree on, they just avoid those subjects.

As much I really can't snark on her thanksgiving post.  It looks like the family had a great time.  There was lots of room, plenty of activities, a lovely, comfortable looking home, and plenty of cousins to play with.  

I envy large families for that.  My kids are growing up 1/2 way around the world from all of our extended family, and don't have any cousins even remotely close to them in age.  

I completely agree with the above comment - how lovely to see the children in a cosy environment with lots of food and fun! 

:pb_smile: 

The house belongs to Erika's parents. I'm not snarking on the album either. It's nice that they do regular family get-togethers. 

Erika's reposted her "Christmas Uncluttered" post. They get a week off homeschool between Christmas and New Year! *beam* They do a coffee birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas morning! *cheer* They listen to Christmas songs from mid-October! *wink*

New Erika-spelling: *rye smile* I didn't know you were a type of bread, Erika.

Also: they do a Christmas letter. How common are they in the US? In my experience, over here Christmas letters are usually sent by middle class families who just want to boast about their squillion foreign holidays and the wondrous things their offspring have done. 

I must say I like the birthday cake for Jesus thing. I do try to make Christmas a religious holiday and not just presents and Santa while still make it fun and lighthearted. We are celebrating it with mother in law (gaaaaaaaaaah) this year and we stay there a couple of nights so not this year but next time we celebrate at home I will do the cake for Jesus thing.

Christmas letters are not common in my country (Sweden) but they do exist. Some are the people who like to brag and some people have them just to let people know about their life and rather nice. I am too lazy to make one myself, Christmas cards only happen every three years or so. 

The house belongs to Erika's parents. I'm not snarking on the album either. It's nice that they do regular family get-togethers. 

Erika's reposted her "Christmas Uncluttered" post. They get a week off homeschool between Christmas and New Year! *beam* They do a coffee birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas morning! *cheer* They listen to Christmas songs from mid-October! *wink*

New Erika-spelling: *rye smile* I didn't know you were a type of bread, Erika.

Also: they do a Christmas letter. How common are they in the US? In my experience, over here Christmas letters are usually sent by middle class families who just want to boast about their squillion foreign holidays and the wondrous things their offspring have done. 

Christmas letters are fairly common, I think. We only have one "large" family within my extended family and they always send one. It's a good way to keep with all their kids. I like them. My family has never sent one out, but it's something I plan to do when I'm married with children.

Wow Erika's parents have such a great house and the view is incredible; do they live on the coast (Washington state)?  It seems they are not all that far from Erika's family.    I am glad Erika's kids have an opportunity to be in a somewhat less restricted environment for a day at least.  I wonder how often they see their grandparents?  So many questions.   

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived