IGNORED

Erika Shupe *grim rictus* Large Families on Purpose Part 3

happy atheist

Erika *shudder* has not posted much new content lately. She's been mostly reposting old entries. *smug grin*

The Shupes have 9 homeschooled kids. All of the children, from the teens down to the toddlers, go to bed at the same time. But the teens are allowed to get up as early as they want! *middle finger* Their days are blocked out in 15 minute increments, and everything is superduper organized. Most of the time the kids aren't allowed to play in the yard because it's too muddy, so Erika makes them run laps on the deck for a few minutes for exercise.

Mealtime at the Shupe residence is very regimented. Every day they have green smoothies for breakfast, and every day they have salads for lunch. There are no snacks. Sometimes Erika makes the kids have popcorn and energy bars for dinner while she and Bob chow down on take out from Olive Garden. *grrr*

All of the girls are crammed into one tiny bedroom, and the boys are crammed into another. *cry* Thanks to the interference of CPS, they recently installed triple bunks so that the windows are actually usable as a means of escape in case of a fire. 

Erika has this incredibly annoying way of writing out emoticons. *smile* <-- like this. And she overuses the everlovin' fuck out of them. *scream*

Enjoy with us, won't you, the hyper-controlling Erika Shupe and her poor family.

Previously: http://www.freejinger.org/topic/24406-erika-shupe-fake-smile-large-families-on-purpose-part-2/

Erika archive: viewforum.php?f=207

Blog: largefamiliesonpurpose.com

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha!   "Grim Rictus"  I love it!  *heart*    *big smile*   *vomit*

at least it's not Grim Erectus   erictus

Grim Rictus is everything. Now if we just had a stern smiley with narrowed eyes and puckered lips to match... 

Oh hey, we do! :annoyed:

Is it bad I keep changing grim rictus to grim reaper?  If I were in the Shupe house, she would be the grim reaper.

In a recent LFOP facebook post there's a collage of pics. I mistook Erika for a teen boy in the one where she's sitting on the floor with the kids, yoga pants & requisite skirt. With the athletic top she's wearing, she seriously looks like a male high school soccer player.

In a recent LFOP facebook post there's a collage of pics. I mistook Erika for a teen boy in the one where she's sitting on the floor with the kids, yoga pants & requisite skirt. With the athletic top she's wearing, she seriously looks like a male high school soccer player.

You must be mistaken *chuckle.* Women, and Erika is a woman, dress like women. And her short, masculine hair is "whispy" and feminine, even though the Bible strongly encourages long hair.  (She's such a bitch about her hair. You can tell it's a sore sport with her)

I seriously can't with Erika. She's such a literalist. I wonder what she would do if the Bible literally commanded women to have long hair instead of "strongly encouraging" it. Probably dismiss it.

HA, I love the summary and thread title! :pb_lol:

I am a tiny bit sad that *CHUCKLEFUCK* wasn't included, but *grim rictus* makes it all okay! :my_biggrin:

HA, I love the summary and thread title! :pb_lol:

I am a tiny bit sad that *CHUCKLEFUCK* wasn't included, but *grim rictus* makes it all okay! :my_biggrin:

Can't use swears in thread titles *cry*

Erika is so bad that my father didn't believe she was real when I told him about her. What really drives me bonkers is her prohibition on reading. Her meals, although draconian, are not thaaat different from what my mom (who eats salads for lunch each and every day) would have served. My mom gave us a ton of variety though: bean salads, hard boiled eggs, tuna, feta cheese, the occasional bit of bacon, etc. We ate pretty stringently healthily, but we got a lot of say in what our healthy options consisted of.

Erika is so bad that my father didn't believe she was real when I told him about her. What really drives me bonkers is her prohibition on reading. Her meals, although draconian, are not thaaat different from what my mom (who eats salads for lunch each and every day) would have served. My mom gave us a ton of variety though: bean salads, hard boiled eggs, tuna, feta cheese, the occasional bit of bacon, etc. We ate pretty stringently healthily, but we got a lot of say in what our healthy options consisted of.

ETA: riffles

I'm okay with healthy eating, too, but I just don't think that Erika is achieving that, despite all the charts and lists and planning.  Salads are fine, but growing kids need more heft to the meal -- like your mother, with beans, eggs, tuna, cheese, etc.  Erika's just starving her kids and paying them in individual jelly beans whose flavors they can't choose.  Really, when you're a kid with little control over your world, having that ability to choose can be a BIG thing.  It's just a little bit of power, but she can't even turn that over to them.  

The limitations on reading are the WORST, though.  She is after total mind-body-spirit control over those kids.  

ETA: I have so many fundies who seem beyond horrific.  Whenever I find some friend willing to listen to my obsession, they are left in a disturbed state of disbelief.  I often start with Hana Williams, because that girl should be remembered and laws should have been passed to help protect kids in her terrifying situation.  So many people just don't know about what goes on out there, and we're ["we" being US-Americans generally, but the label has its own power elsewhere, too] conditioned to see "Christian" as a positive label, never digging further.  The Justin Harris example is another outrageous example of what happens when we as a society forget to watch the children.  

I wish Jessa would have named Spurgie "Grim Rictus".   Or at least "Spurgeon Grim Rictus".  It would be so fitting for a Calvinist.  

That is all.  

I'm okay with healthy eating, too, but I just don't think that Erika is achieving that, despite all the charts and lists and planning.  Salads are fine, but growing kids need more heft to the meal -- like your mother, with beans, eggs, tuna, cheese, etc.  Erika's just starving her kids and paying them in individual jelly beans whose flavors they can't choose.  Really, when you're a kid with little control over your world, having that ability to choose can be a BIG thing.  It's just a little bit of power, but she can't even turn that over to them.  

The limitations on reading are the WORST, though.  She is after total mind-body-spirit control over those kids.  

ETA: I have so many fundies who seem beyond horrific.  Whenever I find some friend willing to listen to my obsession, they are left in a disturbed state of disbelief.  I often start with Hana Williams, because that girl should be remembered and laws should have been passed to help protect kids in her terrifying situation.  So many people just don't know about what goes on out there, and we're ["we" being US-Americans generally, but the label has its own power elsewhere, too] conditioned to see "Christian" as a positive label, never digging further.  The Justin Harris example is another outrageous example of what happens when we as a society forget to watch the children.  

Hana Williams lived in the same county as Erika.

Hana Williams lived in the same county as Erika.

I wonder if Erika's family ever ran into Hana's family.  They would have had church, homeschooling conferences, or homeschooling events to cross paths.  Poor Hana...though it actually seems like ALL the children adopted by that family came to some serious troubles.  What a horrible situation, repeated far too often in other pockets of the country.

I'm currently watching a CPS investigation play out in our "local" media.  A council member and his wife were recently arrested for child abuse.  They had 16 kids in a tiny house.  My mind immediately went to what I've read here.  I'm guessing they were fundie of some sorts and I bet the followed Pearl based on the charge of torture. 

I'm currently watching a CPS investigation play out in our "local" media.  A council member and his wife were recently arrested for child abuse.  They had 16 kids in a tiny house.  My mind immediately went to what I've read here.  I'm guessing they were fundie of some sorts and I bet the followed Pearl based on the charge of torture. 

Topeka?  Being discussed over in Wide World of Snark.  

Ugh, Erika posted a link from Answers in Genesis, who is trying to scare people into buying a box set of books with "all of the answers." It paints the whole world as some scary place that is just waiting to turn your precious babies into atheists. Lots of quotes from Stalin, Hitler, and the like. Gaaaaag. 

I see that Erika is still waffling about sending her kids to "government school" (most of the link is about how secular education will always turn your child away from the true God). 

Interestingly, Answers in Genesis was the first thing that started pushing me out of my fundie lite world. There was some kind of presentation that most of my homeschool groups went to, parents and kids, and I remember writing notes back and forth to my fellow-fundie-lite best friend, criticizing the logic EVEN THOUGH we were still totally convinced about young-Earth Creationism. When two highschoolers who are sympathetic to your message are laughing at the holes in your story, you're doing it wrong. And once that started to crumble, a lot more in our lives didn't stand up to scrutiny.

Topeka?  Being discussed over in Wide World of Snark.  

That would be the one.  I'll have to head over.  I'm not sure I like it when my snarking material is in my back yard. lol

I wonder if Erika's family ever ran into Hana's family.  They would have had church, homeschooling conferences, or homeschooling events to cross paths.  Poor Hana...though it actually seems like ALL the children adopted by that family came to some serious troubles.  What a horrible situation, repeated far too often in other pockets of the country.

I've wondered the same. 2 fundie Pearl families in the same county maybe 20 miles apart. I've tried scouring the interwebs to see where the williamses went to church & so far nothing.

I've wondered the same. 2 fundie Pearl families in the same county maybe 20 miles apart. I've tried scouring the interwebs to see where the williamses went to church & so far nothing.

The Williamses went to a church in nearby Sedro Woolley for some time--I looked it up back then but forget the name. Later in Hana and Emmanuel's time with them, I think they may have home-churched. The Shupes attend Spring Creek Church in Bellingham.

I plugged her green smoothie recipe into Chron-o-meter. I guessed on the amount of spinich, but it's not exactly calorific so it doesn't make much of a difference. 565 calories for a full recipe. Bob and Erica each get half one one recipe, and then they make another for the kids--split among 7! That's about 80 calories per kid. No wonder they look so thin!

2015-11-23.png

The Williamses went to a church in nearby Sedro Woolley for some time--I looked it up back then but forget the name. Later in Hana and Emmanuel's time with them, I think they may have home-churched. The Shupes attend Spring Creek Church in Bellingham.

Hana's obit says her funeral service was by Pastor Howard Cooper of Good Shepherd Baptist church in Burlington. Another article, http://www.komonews.com/news/local/130871178.html?mobile=y, says the williamses sometimes attended his church.

Dis the Shupes change churches? I read thru Erika's personal page & saw shed tagged the pastor of harvest Baptist church.

I plugged her green smoothie recipe into Chron-o-meter. I guessed on the amount of spinich, but it's not exactly calorific so it doesn't make much of a difference. 565 calories for a full recipe. Bob and Erica each get half one one recipe, and then they make another for the kids--split among 7! That's about 80 calories per kid. No wonder they look so thin!

2015-11-23.thumb.png.f79c5257bbd38990aa4e8fd2f320079a.png

I calculated it in part one to be 54 cals per 8 oz, using the higher amounts she listed & the kale at 4 oz.

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived