IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 4

happy atheist

Even though it's Chick-fil-A she's working for, it's good to see Marjorie has a job. I do wonder if she'd be working if she was still with Josiah.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Sweet Fellowship said:

Even though it's Chick-fil-A she's working for, it's good to see Marjorie has a job. I do wonder if she'd be working if she was still with Josiah.

I think Marjorie was counting on collecting paychecks for her appearances on TLC, using that "fame" to sell books about love, getting quickly married at 17-years-old and quickly pregnant.  Now, she has to settle for working a minimum-wage job at a fast food place that doesn't require a high school diploma.  (McDonalds doesn't hire people without a high school diploma, unless they are currently enrolled in school.)

Marjorie isn't selling many of her books and only has 300 likes on Facebook.  She's just another home-schooled, Kool-Aid-drinking failure.  She's removed all photos of Josiah from her social media accounts, but still hangs out with Duggars at every opportunity.  (Maybe she's trying for a courtship with a different Duggar?)

I don't think it is fair to call her a "Kool-Aid drinking failure."  She is only 18 and lives with her parents; she has limited autonomy.

There is  nothing shameful about working a minimum wage job in the fast food industry. MANY of us on FJ have done it. And if financially necessary, I will do it again. Without shame.

The fact that Majorie has a real job puts her ahead of every Duggar. It is probably unfathomable to the Duggars that you can make money without having a camera in your face. She can control her own money, have a bank account and build independence. Hell, she is paying into social security. Plus, Majorie working will allow her to come in contact with all kinds of people that may shape her world view. I can't look down on an eighteen-year-old having a job. She seems to have some ambition. Her book may be crap but I give her credit for writing it herself. It isn't easy to finish writing even the worst book.  Honestly, the breakup with Josiah was the best thing that happened to her, whether she realizes it or not. I think she would have ultimately been unhappy living the life Duggar life molded for her by Jim Bob. 

3 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

(Maybe she's trying for a courtship with a different Duggar?)

Talk about awkward as hell.

Marjorie wore pants (gasp). I don't think she would have fitted into the Duggar mold well. Besides, they were just too darned young. What a shame they couldn't have dated like normal teens. Sorry, Duggars, but dating does not equal sex.

Now that she works at Chik-Fil-A, I'm sure that Jim Bob is sending Josiah to her house with a boom box playing the Gothard-approved version of In Your Eyes to win her back so she'll comp them meals.

14 hours ago, Playagirl said:

OK somebody please explain to me how selling processed fast-food chicken is honouring  God. I know it's been years since I attended mass but I don't remember the bible mentioning such things. Of course it was Catholic mass, but still....

There is no reference to selling fast food in the Bible, but there are lots of verses about how work honors God.  These verses apparently don't appear in the Duggars translation of the Bible.  Here are a few of my favorites:

Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might, for there is no work or thought or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol, to which you are going.

Ephesians 6:7  Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.

1 Corinthians 10:31  So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God 

15 minutes ago, Drala said:

There is no reference to selling fast food in the Bible, but there are lots of verses about how work honors God.  These verses apparently don't appear in the Duggars translation of the Bible.  Here are a few of my favorites:

Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might, for there is no work or thought or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol, to which you are going.

Ephesians 6:7  Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.

1 Corinthians 10:31  So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God 

You shall work six days a week.  (Exodus 20:9; 34:21; Deuteronomy 5:13; etc.)

On 11/24/2015 at 8:54 AM, Senna said:

This is the most horrifying idea.  I mean really.... think back to the first person you dated.  Now picture yourself married to that person.

I am sure it has worked for a select few, but omg.

I'd kind of love to be married to the first person I dated.  He's awesome.  

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I don't think it is fair to call her a "Kool-Aid drinking failure."  She is only 18 and lives with her parents; she has limited autonomy.

There is  nothing shameful about working a minimum wage job in the fast food industry. MANY of us on FJ have done it. And if financially necessary, I will do it again. Without shame.

There's definitely nothing shameful about working in fast food. A job is a job. Marjorie has my respect for working and not expecting a reality TV gravy train to pay her upkeep.

I think it's a bit much to call her failure, DuggarWatch. If anything she dodged a bullet by not continuing to court Josiah. Would the likes of Jim Bob allow her to have a regular job? I doubt it, come to think of it. It gives her too much independence.

My youngest niece just got a part-time job as a waitress at a local pizza place. She wants to save money for a car. So, yeah, there's nothing wrong with working in the food industry. If anything it shows a willingness to work and be a contributing member of society.

Even a non fundy woman at 18 might still be living with their parents and working fast food. So aside from what has already been mentioned, we can't even call her a failure by real world (non fundy) standards.

When I was 16 (circa 2003) I worked at my local movie theater/video rental store. Ohhhh VHS tapes lol. I still have memories of cleaning the popper and butter machines and getting grease stains all over my dress pants. While I don't miss it, I certainly valued the experience because it taught me a lot about customer service and job responsibilities.

40 minutes ago, Trynn said:

Even a non fundy woman at 18 might still be living with their parents and working fast food. So aside from what has already been mentioned, we can't even call her a failure by real world (non fundy) standards.

If marjorie is a failure, what am I then? 

(19 year old living with her Mother and not working at all (college is more than enough Right now))

2 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

When I was 16 (circa 2003) I worked at my local movie theater/video rental store. Ohhhh VHS tapes lol. I still have memories of cleaning the popper and butter machines and getting grease stains all over my dress pants. While I don't miss it, I certainly valued the experience because it taught me a lot about customer service and job responsibilities.

There is a HUGE difference between working a part-time job while still in high school (or college or some kind of tech school) and working your first serious job after your school days are finished.

19 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

One thing that Chik-Filet does to honor God is they close on Sundays.  I kind of respect that. A lot of religious people will adjust their religion to the bottom line.  The Chik-Filet owner is willing to make a little less money and observe his Sabbath. While he is at it, he gives a weekend day off to all of his employees.  Other fast-food workers have to work all weekend.

I didn't realize they were closed on Sundays since there are no Chik-Filet's up in my neck of the Canadian woods. I do admire that if nothing else. I'm old enough to remember when eveything was closed on Sundays (and most evenings during the week, too). Gotta say I preferred it that way, and not for religious reasons.  It simply gave people more downtime to spend doing things other than work/shop.

I think here almost everything is closed on sundays except for special occasions. Cinemas don't close, but I am not sure about fast food places. Restaurants can't afford to close on a sunday, so they'll close on mondays or tuesdays.

51 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

Ahhh cleaning the popper. Memories. I worked at a movie theatre part-time for nearly three years, age 19-21. We had to clean the cinemas and haul out the rubbish too. I was at uni at the same time though.

I give Marjorie full credit for not considering herself above working in fast food. It may not be intellectually stimulating work but it is hard work!

When I was 15 I wanted trendy clothes and tons of other crap my friends had.  We weren't poor but my parents were rather frugal so my mom told me to get a job.  The next week I was working at McDonalds and did so for about the next 4 years.  That job taught me skills I never would have learned in school or later at college.  

Regarding Marge, I'm glad to hear she's getting this experience working in the real world.  Maybe she'll pass some of this on to the Duggars.

I have a few friends who went from high school, to college, to working their first professional teaching position without ever having worked a job before. Their parents paid for everything including tuition, rent, car, food and fun money. I was envious of how easy their lives were. I'd been working undesirable jobs ever since I was 16 and had to work for everything I've got each day since. But they had no real world skills or experience, and I know that they have less appreciation for what they have and far less compassion for those who work the undesirable jobs. Someone has to do them, :my_blush: glad I did.

6 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

I'd kind of love to be married to the first person I dated.  He's awesome.  

Yeah, I was 25 when I was with the first person I dated. He was fine, just not for me. He's a family man, much like my husband who I met a year after that. I think the better comparison is if you married the person you dated or had a crush on when you were like 13. Me and Donnie Wahlberg (crush, lol I did not date him), probably not a match.

4 minutes ago, twinmama said:

Yeah, I was 25 when I was with the first person I dated. He was fine, just not for me. He's a family man, much like my husband who I met a year after that. I think the better comparison is if you married the person you dated or had a crush on when you were like 13. Me and Donnie Wahlberg (crush, lol I did not date him), probably not a match.

My cousin married the girl he started dating at 12. She's an ass. My cousin doesn't know other thing

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived