IGNORED

Maxwells had a photoshoot

Dru

Oh, dear. It's much worse than that, though, as I am atheist!  So I am a failure as a mother and as a human. Shit, that doesn't bode well for me at all.

I bet the Maxwell kidults don't know what an atheist is. Can't have them asking questions... 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would have been better if Sarah had not mentioned that Mary chose colors they could choose outfits from (Sarah's wording, not mine).  Either they did not choose from said colors, or Mary chose every color from which to choose!

Also, Teri looks like a cardboard cutout that they moved from the first (bad) location to the second (good) location.

I think the final photo is quite nice. Do you guys constantly gather your massive families for posed photos?  Am I failing as the family matriarch?

We've never had a coordinated family photo ever taken in my entire life. We did those Sears portrait ones twice, once when I was like three months old and once when I was ten. 

For my extended family sometimes we'll do a huge group photos at weddings or funerals but it's just all of us piled up at the front of the church and someone unrelated takes our picture. Considering my dad is one of nine and I have 21 first cousins (not including spouses and my cousins' kids) I don't want to think about what would be involved in a coordinated family photo with matching outfits. 

We've never had a coordinated family photo ever taken in my entire life. We did those Sears portrait ones twice, once when I was like three months old and once when I was ten. 

For my extended family sometimes we'll do a huge group photos at weddings or funerals but it's just all of us piled up at the front of the church and someone unrelated takes our picture. Considering my dad is one of nine and I have 21 first cousins (not including spouses and my cousins' kids) I don't want to think about what would be involved in a coordinated family photo with matching outfits. 

We do not own one of all of my family. Just some really old ones of my parents, my sibling and I.

I think it would have been better if Sarah had not mentioned that Mary chose colors they could choose outfits from (Sarah's wording, not mine).  Either they did not choose from said colors, or Mary chose every color from which to choose!

Also, Teri looks like a cardboard cutout that they moved from the first (bad) location to the second (good) location.

I think the final photo is quite nice. Do you guys constantly gather your massive families for posed photos?  Am I failing as the family matriarch?

There is a sort of theme: blue and red and orange and brown. But it's an odd mixture. Ruthie and Lydia are wearing matching outfits. They look very similar too.

The lighting in that final photo is very odd. Mary and Sarah have extremely shiny foreheads.

Years ago, we decided that we'd have photos taken of the entire family for my parents' 40th anniversary at a fancy-schmancy photographer in New York. There were only 9 of us, and only two grandkids at the time, and it was like herding cats to get us all into position. We had a great time but in the end we did not get one decent shot where all of us looked good at the same time. Not one. Either someone was looking in another direction or they had their eyes closed or they looked like they'd just smelled a fart (not to mention my then 2YO daughter puked all over her only outfit just as we got off the 59th Street Bridge)… It was a disaster, albeit a very funny one (at least in retrospect). We actually ended up picking the goofiest photo to make into prints, just for the laughs and because it was representative of the good time we had. That the Maxwells were able to pull off anything decent with 21 people…well, I give them major props.

Matchy matchy outfits in family portraits are a pet peeve of mine. Half of the fun of looking through family photos is being able to make fun of the bell bottoms, oversized BUM sweatshirts, crocs, or whatever other horrible trend you fell prey to that year/decade. I have to give it to them- they are actually looking pretty stylish by fundy standards.

I'm a newbie, so not totally familiar with who's who, but my impression is that the families break down like the first image (with unattached kids in the middle). Did they actually make all of the inlaws stand with each other in favor of having their own kids in the center- like the second photo?

maxwellfamily-2015.jpg

maxwellfamily-2.jpg

If they had stuck Sara behind her parents and than put the ABC's in a wagon the picture would work.  They can't do that though because than Sarah might take the focus off of Steve. 

@brotherhusbandsgalore In the first image it seems to me like Sara belongs to Joseph and Elissa, she looks like she's their teen and they now had a little latecomer to add to their family. Apart from that, I'd break it down the way you did in the first photo, too. 

In the second, you missed Nathan, daddy to the ABCDs, the guy on the outer right. 

Christopher is just so dorky. The way he wears button-up shirts and jeans that are way too big for him, always equipped with that silly cell phone holder and the big-man-poses...I could swear he was born an old, uptight man. He appears so dorky, had he gone to a real school he sure would have been the number one telltale, teacher's pet, class police. I suppose NRA came from an equally sheltered background, she didn't even realize how dorky they both look to the outside world: Chris being 20 years older than he really is, and NRAnna being a time traveller from the early 1900s. 

In the second, you missed Nathan, daddy to the ABCDs, the guy on the outer right. 

Ahhh, gotcha. Since the lady in the red shirt and the dude in the brown sweater don't seem to be standing like a couple, I was thinking that maybe their spouses were the ones one the end. It is kind of weird that half of the spouses are doing the usual spouse pose, but the others are standoffish.

I think the photo looks like they were enjoying an outside family gathering and someone said "hey we should get a picture since we're all here."  It certainly doesn't look like they coordinated their outfits.  How could they NOT do a better job of coordinating?!? They all practically live together. It would have been so easy to check out options in each closet.  Unless they did that and they still came up with this.  :my_confused:

I do love the children in the wagon - very cute.  And, just as I suspected, Lydia is a very pretty baby. She looks a lot like her big sister.  Speaking of babies...how old is Calia?  She looks very tiny in this photo but I can't remember when she was born, nor am I sure when the photo was taken.

I confess to being a sucker for family photos but we've only done it twice since our kids left home and married. Of course, just recently at our daughter's wedding we had a few taken.  Two years ago, when our son was stationed overseas, we were lucky enough to meet halfway for Christmas.  I did hire a photographer to take some family shots one day because with a Marine in the family, you're never sure when you'll all be together.  My daughter, daughter-in-law and I coordinated the outfits via email. We basically decided on khaki shorts or capris and sunset colored tops/shirts since we were at a tropical location (lavender, coral and aqua)  Very simple but they turned out so beautifully. My favorite shots are from when the photographer just kept shooting between poses. She caught some beautiful shots of us interacting as a family and it was worth every penny.  Also, it was a really fun day. Even my anti-photo son said it was great. 

@brotherhusbandsgalore In the first image it seems to me like Sara belongs to Joseph and Elissa, she looks like she's their teen and they now had a little latecomer to add to their family. Apart from that, I'd break it down the way you did in the first photo, too. 

Christopher is just so dorky. The way he wears button-up shirts and jeans that are way too big for him, always equipped with that silly cell phone holder and the big-man-poses...I could swear he was born an old, uptight man. He appears so dorky, had he gone to a real school he sure would have been the number one telltale, teacher's pet, class police. I suppose NRA came from an equally sheltered background, she didn't even realize how dorky they both look to the outside world: Chris being 20 years older than he really is, and NRAnna being a time traveller from the early 1900s. 

And leaning on the wagon handle makes him look like he has a cane

Ehh, I'll cut Chris some slack on that one. It's a natural enough place to put a free hand and it's leagues better than the Claw of Possession some Maxwells insist on placing on their wives.

Just came home from lunch and the comments and sleuthery that have taken place during my absence with regards to this photo are cracking me up.  Seriously laughing at everything. God, if Steve reads here. I can't imagine reading all this stuff about my family and my family photo. It's priceless. 

I see Bethany brought her Over It face. Her photos are always amazing.

ETA: In the second to last picture Jesse is checking his phone. Unless he's taking calls from The Elderly, isn't everyone he knows in the park with him right now? Who are you talking to, Jesse?

Mary coordinated what colors we could choose outfits from. 

I honestly don't see specially coordinated clothes in this picture-- it looks like every other picture we have seen of them when they aren't bothered about coordinating colors. They all basically wear the same style and level of clothing-- nice casual from JC Pennys.  I guess there is a bit more denim on display than usual.

Then, the evening of, Joseph worked hard to set up lights

If Joseph "worked hard" then he really  is a tit.  Maybe he scurried around, lost as what to do because he has never had to do it before?  Otherwise setting up two lights is hardly hard work.  And I agree the lighting is funny-- once you see Mary's shiny forehead, you can't unsee it.

That’s right. We didn’t just arrive at the location and snap lots of pictures. Joseph’s lights made for an incredible picture.

We also moved our set up several times, as the first two spots either had sun or not a great backdrop. Thankfully we’d started early enough that it worked out fine time wise.

Sigh.  Once again Sarah has to make a big song and dance about something trivial because their lives are so devoid of interesting pursuits that taking an amateur picture of the family is a big frickin deal.  And telling us that the photo is IINCREDIBLE does not blind us to the truth, Sarah.  I'm happy that you like the picture but it is ho hum at best.

Once again, the Maxwells make something way harder than it needs to be.

I don't get Anna or Mary which ever one it was, made sure everyone 'matched'.  They all look perfectly fine, but it also looks like they all just showed up in whatever they wanted, there is no real theme or scheme to it or anything.

And, again, the grammar and written expression are atrocious!

So much comma abuse!

I too don't understand how everybody "matches".  I think the Maxwells need to take a lesson from other fundies (the Paines, the Arndts, the Bontragers, etc.) who certainly do the matching thing better.  Speaking of trivial Handmaiden of Dog, the Arndts have an entire Famteam episode about taking and producing their Christmas card photo.  Perhaps the Maxwells should watch it, maybe they'd learn something....

At first I was trying to figure out if it was supposed to be matching by family group, but no, some of the family group members match, but not all.  For example, Christopher's family would match if the two daughters had on a brown top like Christopher, non-reversal Anna, and their son, and Steve, Terry, & the unmarried kids would match if they were all wearing navy blue tops like Steve, Terry, and Mary.  Well, perhaps they can photo shop the picture so everyone's shirts are red, that might add some interest as it would give a "pop" of color to the photo.  Heck, the Arndts did that in their Christmas photo episode.  Maybe Chirstopher would be better at it (though most likely not) than whichever Arndt kid changed the shirt color of one of the other brothers, so the others not wearing red shirts won't complain that their shirt now looks pink, lol.

I agree with other posters who mention that non-reversal Anna doesn't look too thrilled to be there (& yes, Bethany looks so over it) and some of the other smiles look fake imo.  I also agree that Calia looks oddly small in the last photo.

Okay, enough!  I'm spending way too much time deconstructing their family photo.

So much comma abuse!

So, much comma abuse!

So much, comma abuse!

So much comma, abuse!

(Sorry, carry on.  This is currently my favourite thread.)

I think NR Anna, Christopher and their kids look really good together as a family unit (colourwise). They're all wearing denim, plus brown for the guys and NR Anna and red for the girls. I'm assuming NR Anna picked out their outfits. She obviously cared about them looking nice together in the picture.

Nathan and Melanie's family? Not so much ... Even just the three girls don't look good together. And Bethany's summery outfit looks weird in the late fall setting of the pic.

Joseph and Elissa don't match well either. They seem to have listened to Mary's instructions though. They're wearing red, orange, brown and denim.

I don't like those over the top matchy-matchy pics some people take, but the Maxwell need to rethink their colour choices.

They probably don't have too much experience with outfit coordination because they always wore uniforms for their weird incestuous-y looking family photos before...

Okay, I'm just going to say it. Even Jill Rodrigues does a better job of coordinating her family for photos. At one of the royal weddings recently they were all in black and white. Their newest photos show them in brown (or is it black?) and orange/peach, I think. Nothing is too matchy matchy but it all looks nice. 

In terms of the matching, I think it would have been find if they had chosen red or orange, and not done both, and not had any blue tops. There are just too many colors for it too look off. 

The key to non-tacky matching is picking only 2-3 colors, but use different shades. There's a picture on JC Penney's portrait studio homepage of a family of 4 doing the matching with khaki/beige, white and light green, but it doesn't look stupid because the green is in multiple shades. 

If the Maxwell's had stuck with shades of brown, beige and red, with some denim bottoms, it would have looked a lot nicer. Christopher, Anna and their kids look very nice. 

Archived