IGNORED

Ghost Stories: Do You Haz?

FundieFarmer

Per our convo in Chat tonight, tell me about your creepies, your crawlies, and your technologically inclined paranormal entity roommates. 

We had one that would fuck with our technology. It turned our TV on and off to a red screen- nothing else. There was a really bad vibe in one of the guest rooms for a good while. I suspect it just passed on as we don't really have that vibe anymore, thanks to a clairvoyant friend who did some smudging- or something. 

I believe in it but more as a vibe sort of situation. That was the first time anything physical happened, other than the occasional lurking black shadow in an otherwise lit corner of a room.

• Upvote 1

Technically it's not mine, it's a ghost story/urban legend that goes on in my city since the late 19th century. It's about a teenage girl from a wealthy family that got pregnant out of wedlock and the father was ashamed and didn't want the family's name to be tarnished so he literally trapped her in a wall. People say that if you walk by that street, you can hear her screams of agony. It's pretty depressing, tbh.

My main ghost was named 'the faceless lady' and she walked the train tracks behind our house when I was about thirteen.

I was with a group of friends, including my brothers who were very wise fifteen-year-olds, when someone mentioned the faceless lady as we walked along the tracks in the dark (don't ask). That wasn't what scared me, though. It was my brothers' reaction to the comment. They freaked out because they knew how much this would scare me. What they didn't realize, of course, was that their response PROVED that she was real!  Why else would they worry about me knowing about her????

And, right on cue, she showed up outside my window that night. She just went up and down, in and out of view, all night long. And she did, in fact, have no face. True ghost story, I am here still to tell the tale. 

• Upvote 2

Technically it's not mine, it's a ghost story/urban legend that goes on in my city since the late 19th century. It's about a teenage girl from a wealthy family that got pregnant out of wedlock and the father was ashamed and didn't want the family's name to be tarnished so he literally trapped her in a wall. People say that if you walk by that street, you can hear her screams of agony. It's pretty depressing, tbh.

Sheesh! That's tragic.

When my daughter was 3 1/2 years old, we were living in grad student housing while I was working on my PhD. It was an old complex (built in the 60s), and the apartments were tiny (about 600 square feet), rickety, and to avoid replacing carpet only had blue-speckled linoleum floors throughout. Oh, and a wall air-conditioner in the living room only (which I'd never seen before as a legit A/C option--I'm from AZ).

Anyway, my girl would play in her room a lot, and she would usually be quite vocal, having dolls talking to each other, or stuffed animal teas, etc. One day, she was being particularly vocal, and there were some weird pauses in between (like she was allowing for a response instead of giving it herself--which was her usual practice). So, I went in there to see what kind of new game she was playing.

I found her sitting in the middle of the room, with some blocks (so not the usual toys she would be giving dialogue to). I asked her, "What's up? Are you having fun playing with your toys?" 

She said, "No. I was talking to that little girl."

*shudder*

"What little girl?" I said.

She said, "The little girl who lives in my closet."

By that time, I had a chill running down my spine. But it got worse.

She added: "The little girl who died in the fire."

*meep!*

To this day, I have no idea how she would have come up with something like that, and I don't think there were any major fires in that complex. Plus, until she was about 11, she didn't watch television other than kid-appropriate videos that we would put on for her.

ETA: Oh, and my little brother was afraid of something called The Jacket Monster that lived in his closet when he was about 5. Super creepy.

Edited by EyeQueue
Added content and clarification.
  • Upvote 3

When I was a young teen, we had something in our attic that made noises late at night like when you shove a very heavy piece of furniture across a wood floor. We didn't store anything big and heavy up there because it was an unfinished attic with only a small trapdoor with stairs that folded down for access. 

My grandma was always really close to her aunt - she was like a second mother to her. This aunt passed away about 15 years ago, and sometimes my grandma would have dreams about her. One day she lost a really nice necklace that my grandpa had given her. She searched everywhere for days but she never found it. Then one night she had a dream. Her aunt came to her in her dream and told her, "Don't worry, honey, you'll find your necklace." The next day, my grandpa found the necklace behind the washing machine.

Was it paranormal? I don't know, but it makes me smile. I'll try to think of a creepy one now. :pb_razz:

• Upvote 5

I saw my great-grandmother as a ghost when I was in preschool.  This great-grandmother died before I was born, and I was named after her.  It was in the side-yard of the apartment building that side of the family had lived in for 40 years.  I saw her sitting in a lawn chair, wearing a blue dress.  I asked if she wanted to pick crabapples from the tree with me.  She responded in a withered voice, "No.  I'm too tired."  When my parents picked me up from the apartment after work and asked how my day was, I said, "I saw [great-grandmother]."  When my parents talked to my grandmother about it, she said that no one had been in the yard with us.  Looking back, the oddest part of the whole story was that my parents believed me immediately.  Freaky things happened a lot on that side of the family, dating back to my great-great-grandmother who was some kind of folk healer.

• Upvote 4

The house I grew up in was haunted. It was a new build so it had no previous history. We had shadows that moved along the hallway every night, heading in the direction of my room, but I never saw anything in there, thank goodness. My parents and I would often hear each other calling from other rooms when we hadn't actually said anything. We heard footsteps all the time, but it was particularly noticeable at night when everyone was in bed. Sometimes at night I would hear my mom shuffle to the kitchen in her slippers, and I learned to listen for her to open the fridge, otherwise it wasn't mom. I never dwelled on who or what it could be if it wasn't my mother. She passed when I was twenty, and new, unpleasant things started happening in the house soon after. I would be the only one at home but would wake up to the whole house smelling heavily of maple syrup. This happened several times. Moving shadows started appearing in other rooms of the house, and my dog started belly crawling through certain areas, if I could even get her to go in them at all. The worst by far though, was whatever it was would blindside me with a smell from when my mom was sick with cancer. It was an unmistakable, horrific smell, and it would envelope me when I was walking down the hallway or when I entered rooms. Other people experienced the other incidents at times, but that smell only happened to me. I constantly relived the horror of my mom's illness and the crushing grief. It was a relief to move out of that house, despite the many good memories it also held.

This was strangely cathartic; thank you!

• Upvote 13

When my stepmother died we had a family only viewing in the chapel the day before the funeral. After a while we were all sitting on the front pew just talking to each other and my 2 year old little niece stopped playing, looked to the back of the chapel, smiled real big, waved and said Papa! Papa! Soooo all 8 of us turn around at the same time to see who was there and of course, no one was there but she was chattering away and clearly engaged in conversation. Only thing was, "Papa" is her grandfather and he is still alive. We called him to make sure!

My grandmother loved cardinals. All birds, really, and all plants, but her notecards (birthdays, holidays) always had cardinals on them, and not just in the winter. 

The day she died, a momma cardinal started building her nest in the crepe myrtle on my parents' back patio.

The day of her funeral, there was a bird in the house. We never saw it, but we heard the flapping wings.

• Upvote 5

Holy shit i am fucking scared now. I hate you all with all of my soul. And i hate myself for reading this 

A couple of months ago, i was alone at home, showering. I had my eyes closed, and suddenly, a bottle of shampoo fell on me. There is nowhere in my shower to put bottles except for the floor. I don't know what happened, and i am scared. Thankfully i am moving out of here in 2 weeks.

I don't ever say it out loud, but i have been feeling weird in my house since my father died two years ago.

• Upvote 4

When my grandparents died, I inherited the house where they lived for 60 years. Grandpa seems to still be there. Doors open and close, food is placed on the kitchen table (he always made sure that everybody was fed and always wanted you to eat more) and when we talk about him, things fall off the hook or weird noices start.

It's not the least scary since we know who it is and I find it comforting to know that he keeps an eye on us.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I heard (very clearly) footsteps come through the front door cross the kitchen, go down a short hall to the bedroom of a mobile home I lived in circa 1990/91.  One of my best friends had lived there before I did.  I heard this on more than one occasion.  I mentioned it to my mother (Side note - I have a history of intuitive, empathic and other such 'psychic' things that have flitted through my life since early childhood - my mother is acutely aware of this), who tried to 'poo poo'  it by saying 'but nobody died there.'  

That was all I needed.  It clicked.  The next time I heard it I said "'dad,' T doesn't live here any more, she moved up the street.'  

Nope - didn't hear it again.  "dad" was my friend T's father.  he had passed while she lived in that trailer.  Granted it was on the other side of the small town.  When i told T about this, I learned that I was not the only one to experience something in that trailer.  However the 3 guys all freaked out.  I was the only calm one.  Two of the three guys didn't want to go back in the place.  (The third was my friend's adult nephew).  

I used to live in a 2-storey townhouse. There was a floorboard that used to squeak if you stepped on a certain part of my bedroom floor. Several times when we were all downstairs the floorboard would squeak and you could hear the sound of feet on the floors. The first time it happened I was terrified because I was alone in the house and thought there might be a burglar up there. Nope. Just a ghost. We lived there for 4 years and got used to it; we never felt in danger from it.  Some of our houseguests would ask, "Who's upstairs?", we'd explain and even take them up and show them there was nobody there but the ghost. People were either creeped out by it or found it interesting.

• Upvote 1

this could get long...the house i grew up in, in the 70s, had a ghost that would move things, nothing terribly scary, just like, oh, where is my hairbrush, and i'd look and look and then it would turn up right in the middle of the table. that happened very often.

the first house i moved into when i got married was something else. we knew the family who lived there before, it was my husband's best friend's family, so the haunts go way back. they told stories of seeing a full bodied little girl and boy a lot. not too much went on when we were there, but two things that stand out in my memory...when my son was about 5 months old, i went to get him from his nap and he was lying on the bedroom floor. there is no way that he could have gotten there by himself. the other one was, the night before we moved out, we could hear the kitchen cabinets opening and slamming shut several times that night.

the house sat empty for 2 years while we tried to sell it. the next door neighbor said she often heard people in there, stomping around and running up and down the steps, it is a row house so she could hear everything right through the walls. one time we went to check up on it and the back door was open, but nothing was disturbed.

since we couldn't sell it, my cousin and her young daughter moved in and things ramped up considerably. objects were moved and placed in weird places, i think that the very first thing she told us is a bunch of books were taken out of a box and placed on the steps. she heard voices, her daughter's toys would move. i remember her telling us that her dog's food bowl came flying out of the kitchen and landed in the next room. these things happened almost daily. her daughter was home alone one time, when she was a young teen, and heard two people..a woman crying and man saying 'i'm sorry, its my fault'. the only time i've ever actually seen an apparition was there, i watched a black  shadowman with a hat walk up the living room stairs. that event blew me away! the kicker was this one: she had a young grandson who was 3 at the time, that she watched occasionally, when his dad would take him home he talked about playing with his friend "tommy", his dad figured it was a neighbor boy. they would play "hide and see" and other games he said. so the dad mentioned it to my cousin, turns out the boy wasn't really outside much and did not have any other boy to play with. when questioned, j said that it was the boy who lived in grandmom's back bedroom, his favorite hiding spot was behind the t.v. we were finally able to sell that house, i often wonder if the family now there has experiences.

i used to work as a teacher at my church,when i first started i heard someone walking in the room above me every single day, even though i was there alone at that time in the morning. thankfully that stopped after about a year or so. one day we took all the children to go to another room and i heard a little girl giggle in the bathroom, i thought we forgot one (even though i counted those kids all the time LOL) but when i opened the door no one was there. one day my t.a. took a child with her to get some things out of a storage closet that was in the "old" part of the church, the original sanctuary. he asked her who the two people were that were sitting on a couch, a man and a woman...there was no one there. i have tons of pics from that part of the church that have amazing orbs in them, like colored ones, and some so defined that you can matrix faces in them.

we've been in this house for 24 years and its only recently, like the past 4 years or so, that i've had a few instances. it started with knocking on upstairs doors, my bedroom, the bathroom. my daughter had it done just once on her door, the morning she got married. almost always 3 knocks, sometimes 2 though. i have it on audio, its always loud enough to wake me up, but it was very faint on the recorder. my daughter and i drove out to kentucky for a wedding a few years back, the week before we left, the knocking was intense, like multiple times a night, almost *frantic. on the way home (all the way across ohio and pa, a long ass ride) a tractor trailer came within mere feet of taking us out, he pulled right in front of me and cut us off. so now when i hear the knocking, i take extra care throughout the next few days, with driving and locking my doors and such.

i have been touched twice...once while sitting on my dining room floor going through a box of christmas ornaments, i was poked on the shoulder, no one was around. and once i woke up to some touching on my arm.

tl;dr:lots of shit has happened to me and mine...

• Upvote 8

A cousin of mine once told a group of relatives (his grandma-my great-aunt- and his mom) about a time he went out to the barn at our family farm and saw a man sitting on a 3-legged stool, with a very specific style of hat. My great-aunt broke into a huge smile and said "that's my granddad! he passed away years before you kids came along - he always wore a hat just like that, and that would have been his milking stool." There have been a lot of ghost stories in the farmhouse itself, but that's the only sighting I've heard of from the barn.

• Upvote 1

I used to live in a 2-storey townhouse. There was a floorboard that used to squeak if you stepped on a certain part of my bedroom floor. Several times when we were all downstairs the floorboard would squeak and you could hear the sound of feet on the floors. The first time it happened I was terrified because I was alone in the house and thought there might be a burglar up there. Nope. Just a ghost. We lived there for 4 years and got used to it; we never felt in danger from it.  Some of our houseguests would ask, "Who's upstairs?", we'd explain and even take them up and show them there was nobody there but the ghost. People were either creeped out by it or found it interesting.

I live in a townhouse and we experience that too! We are in a rather new build, so I've always just shaken it off as my neighbors.

Eek...

I don't know if she was a ghost at the time, since she was in a coma, not dead. But, I saw a Dead VIP (not saying who to avoid doxxing, but she was an important leader who died violently), once. See, my best friend's family immigrated from, and remained involved with, their home country. My friend's dad was a huge supporter of VIP and the pro-West/reform movement generally. They knew VIP very well and often spent time with her. Friend's dad got invited to be in the motorcade during one of VIP's appearances.

At the same time VIP was shot, I saw her come into (well, suddenly appear, really) where I was working. Completely solid like you or me, but bleeding and clearly fatally injured. I recognized her from photos at my friend's home, and her signature piece of clothing she always wore. I was alone in the front of the shop at the time, and had just closed and locked up, so even scarier. She stared at me and said, in her language, "[Friend] call Dad," and something about, I can sort of guess, not knowing if he was OK. My language grasp was better than most because I spent a ton of time with Friend's family and learn quickly, but I still couldn't completely understand.

I said, OK, you want her to call him. She nodded, and just disappeared. Not walking, just gone. I later called my friend and told her to call her dad, but I never said what I saw. She's really superstitious and scared of many things, so I don't think she would have listened if she had seen the person.

Also, my grandmother is dying, and a part of me really hopes I will get to see her ghost. We have always been really close, and she's my only biological family to value me for who I am, not what I can accomplish or how I look. I just want to talk with her again.

• Upvote 2

I have so many! From all different places and times in my life. Maybe I'm sensitive and the spirits just like messing with me.

Here's a recent one: I moved into a new apartment about 3 1/2 years ago. (I moved out of it this past spring). The building was a completely new construction, and I was the first person to live there. My apartment was on the first floor, and pretty isolated from the any other residents, as the only other thing on my floor was the office and mailroom. From the start, I would often get "that feeling" where I wasn't alone in my bedroom. And it was always freezing in there, even though it was warm in the living room and kitchen (I had maintenance check the heat and vents several times and they never found anything wrong with it). After I'd lived there about six months I woke up one night (very rare for me as I'm an extremely heavy sleeper) and went to roll over to my other side. I couldn't move, and could feel that I was being pushed down, there was very distinctly pressure pushing down on my left shoulder and on my lower stomach. I woke up completely and tried to sit up, the pressure pushed back even harder. This lasted for about 20 seconds as I started to feel panicked, and finally used all of my strength to sit straight up in bed. The next morning I went to my mom's for Thanksgiving, and wasn't home for a few nights. When I walked in the door the day I got back I said something like, "Hey ghost, I won't mess with you if you won't mess with me anymore" and it was quiet for awhile after that. Not long later, my then boyfriend (now husband) stayed over for the first time. I woke up again in the middle of the night and saw a tall, broad-shouldered figure standing in front of the window, just looking out. I assumed it was my boyfriend but then I looked down beside me and he was lying in the bed, asleep. I did about three back and forth looks between looking at him and looking at the figure before I put two and two together. I sat straight up in bed, and the figure disappeared.

I never saw or felt anything again in that apartment. Maybe I had a ghostly admirer that got discouraged and gave up after he saw that I was taken. :my_shy: For what it's worth, my neighborhood was about a mile from a major Civil War battlefield, and even had a historic marker up outside of my building about a skirmish that had taken place on the site where the neighborhood now stands.

• Upvote 2

I maybe have one.

When Mr. Nym and I still lived in our student´s apartment in Vienna, around 6 years ago, something strange happened we still think about it from time to time:

In our apartment, we had one of those glass window doors ( similar to this )  between living room and hallway, so if one of us was either leaving or coming and the other one was sitting in the living room, we may see each other through the door´s windows because the apartment door was next to the living room door. 

One day, while Mr. Nym´s sister was staying with us over the weekend, we were sitting on the sofa watching TV, when we heard the apartment door falling into the lock and then clearly heard and also noticed a female figure  passing the closed living room door which we thought must  be SIL returning and heading down the hallway to the spare room which we used as office/guest room. Some hour later we wanted to order out dinner and I went to SIL´s room to ask her if she´s hungry too. Opened the door - and you surely guessed it already - room was empty, no SIL. I checked if she was in the bathroom or somewhere else. nope. Mr. Nym and me then decided we just didn´t notice her leaving again (well, young love, you know ;) ). 

Then around another hour later SIL did indeed come home and swore stone & bone she was out shopping with two friends all day long! After some wondering and discussing, and a phone call to one of her friends who was  swearing they were out all day together, we were all of the sudden really really freakin ´scared! Mr. Nym then checked all rooms and closets with a big kitchen knife and us in tow, but nobody hiding under some coats or a bed, nothing was moved or missing either - everything was in fact as always, leaving us quite puzzled until this very day.

See, our door had a works-with-keys-only-knob on the outside, so you could leave without a key, but only enter when the key was in the lock too. Someone trying his luck with a unlocked door and snooping around is pretty out of possibility.

So it narrows down to a highly skilled creep/thief, who entered our apartment and possibly  leaved by crawling right past the living room door windows to avoided to bee seen(SIL was in high favour of this rather disturbing scenario *shudder*) ... or it was someone or "something" who lived in our apartment at any point the past ~150 years and wanted to pay a visit ... either way, it´s *goosebumps* :?

However this was the only "paranormal" experience we ever had. I am reeeeally not sure if this was a ghost encounter or a creep encounter.

Edited by Anny Nym
edited for grammar/add

Lol, FundieFarmer - probably way more than we think. Story has a second part too btw:

but it is more wordly and rather sad:

The old lady living in the apartment beneath our´s , well I think she wanted to mess with us a bit after the incident ... You know old people living on their own can get  a bit lonely and then become hysterical and make wild stories up to have something to talk about:

Couple of days later when I get the mail asked her if she had seen anyone sneaking around in the stair-hall or heard about people ringing at doors trying  to sell trinkets (that´s a rather common trick of thieves around here) she said no and asked why and so I told her a short version and said something along the line of "oh, we just call it a ghost then".

Then she got really excited and started to tell me  she has "coincidentially"  seen a couple of ghosts herself too, the full program: children´s voices, shadows, and every  now and then she would smell smoke and heard loud bumping and banging on the apartment doors and loud steps running up and down the stairs, but when she looked out of her apartment  door nothing was to there and such sort of things, ....once apparently even a corpse rolled up in a carped  in the middle of the stair-hall...  That´s quite a bit over the top IMHO, noone of our other neighbours did experience anything of this either.  So go figure.

Oh, I've got a ton of creepy stories from police reports, but unfortunately they involve living people in the physical realm, not spirits. 

• Upvote 3

I have a few, it seems that I just attract ghosts for some reason! 

The house I lived in with my friends during university was and older house, about 80 or 90 years old, and it had been renovated and changed a bit throughout the years but still small and cozy. We moved in and soon after we did, the doorbell started ringing randomly. We'd get up and check, there would be no one there. After a while we started to see what everyone in the house was doing when it rang to see if we were causing interference, but we rarely were. This was fine, I lived in the top bedroom, with two windows, it was small and the realtor said most likely a small sitting room when the house was first built. A few times we were coming home late at night and we saw what looked to be a shadow inside my room. It was scary but once again we justified it by saying that it was probably one of the roommates trying to scare us. Then things started going missing, little things and they would reappear at the most random times. My keys were the biggest target, I would lay them down and find them in other places in the house all the time. My roommates laughed at me and called me absentminded but I always put my keys in the same place and they would never be there when I came back. I spent one day looking for them and when I finally yelled in a panic "I have a test in 10 minutes, it's not funny anymore." My roommate laughed at me but we heard the clang as the keys fell to the floor downstairs, when no one was there. We called him Quasi, as in Quasimodo, because he rang the bells. For thee years, I had him in the room and possibly watching me sleep, from the shadows I saw of him, I think he was an elderly man. One who had probably died in the house. 

My grandmother died the summer after my first year of university. My Dad was sitting at the head of her bed whispering to her, telling her to let go, he told her where me, my brother, and my cousin were. We were at my house; we were actually in my brother's room playing with his playstation and giggling. My cousin had said about 10 minutes before, "It's over." We didn't know that my grandmother had died, just that our parents were supposed to be home hours ago. My cousin said that at exactly 12:35 and it was the exact time that my grandmother had died. My brother's door swung open about 10 minutes later, and the cats that were in the hall ran in a panic and stayed curled up under the coffee table. I went out into the hall and said "Hello?" thinking that my Dad had played a joke on me, I stood there and felt like there was someone watching me. My brother and cousin said that they too, standing in the doorway felt like there was eyes on them. Then there was a tremendous sense of peace. We didn't truly know that she had died until my parents came home but I can't say that either of us were shocked. 

The last one is that I was involved in an accident, hit on the crosswalk by a car as I was crossing one rainy night. I woke up scared, with my parents two hours away, wet and cold. I was panicking because I knew that something was wrong but I was in such shock that I wasn't really feeling too much pain. The people at the scene were trying to keep me calm but I wanted to get up and I wanted to go home. I looked to where the crowd was standing and I saw a man wearing a red and black checkered shirt, jeans, and he had a cap pulled low over his face. Just looking at him calmed me down, I watched him until the ambulance showed up and when I looked back he was gone. I was terrified when my parents got there and I kept asking about the man until my Dad broke down in tears. I had described perfectly, my uncle who had died before I was born. My Dad sticks to it that he had the cap pulled down low because he didn't want to scare me and I knew his face and would be, I would have thought that I was dying. I had described what he was wearing the night before he died and there were no pictures taken to show me exactly what it was. 

Sorry that it's so long! :):P I was a folklore major and ghost stories make me happy! 

• Upvote 7