IGNORED

Maxwells hang out with the elderly

SPHASH

I bet these seniors would rather have the Goats that come to Nursing homes vs the Maxhells. I wonder if they go rounds to make certain all these old folks are believers, just in case they croak.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much longer before Steve is one of "the Elderly"?

I suppose it's too much to ask that he be treated the same way. The Maxwells are so condescending. I would be pissed if I was a family member of one of the residents (not to mention a resident). How do they get away with this crap?

How much longer before Steve is one of "the Elderly"?

I suppose it's too much to ask that he be treated the same way. The Maxwells are so condescending. I would be pissed if I was a family member of one of the residents (not to mention a resident). How do they get away with this crap?

Never. He has 3 grown daughters he's kept home. They will care for his every need until the day he dies. 

It's very strange they never show Lydia. If they'd want their children to be annonymous, they would'nt show their elder children (Ruthanne and the boy). I hope nothing wrong is happening to Lydia and they're not hiding her for not being "perfect".

Nathan and Melanie seem softer than Teri&Steve but yes, they ABCD children seem to have being trained.  I know chidren grow up and are less funny but Abby is only 7(?) and Bethany 5(?) and they have became so serious and self-controlled. Is Abby allowed to play? or just to pray and be a sistermom?

The children clearly do play and have fun as we have seen on the blog, and from glimpses of Melanie's family members on social media.  Child "training" is not always a constantly extreme thing and couldn't be, in a family like Melanie's where it would quickly be exposed.  There will just be a growing pressure on the children to conform, and a subtle undermining of the wider family.  The ABCD kids will probably grow up like the Maxwells and look back and laugh at the way they were spanked into submission, because the spankings and guilt trips were always interspersed with family dinners and sessions at the aunties' park.

It is really sad all the same, but much less black and white than it is sometimes imagined on fj.

Never. He has 3 grown daughters he's kept home. They will care for his every need until the day he dies. 

Yup those girls will take care of Steve till he dies. 

Those poor residents, being trapped in there with them. What makes it even sadder, is that for some of the residents, the Maxwells, are they only visitors they get.

My mom worked in nursing homes for 30+ years, and I loved it, when I had to go to work with her when I was a kid. I still loved going to visit her at work, when I was in my teens and early 20's. I loved hearing all of their stories, about when they were kids, and hearing about all of their youthful shenanigans they got up to.

Those poor residents, being trapped in there with them. What makes it even sadder, is that for some of the residents, the Maxwells, are they only visitors they get.

My mom worked in nursing homes for 30+ years, and I loved it, when I had to go to work with her when I was a kid. I still loved going to visit her at work, when I was in my teens and early 20's. I loved hearing all of their stories, about when they were kids, and hearing about all of their youthful shenanigans they got up to.

I'm sure they loved seeing a youthful person. I had to go to a nursing home through Hebrew School. I hated going the place gave me the creeps. 

It truly is sad. I've heard of a story where a lady was put on a nursing home by her daughter and it'd be just during the time they got their house redone. Time went by, the daughter never came and when they phoned the number she gave them, it was of a car company. She never returned and the lady refuses to unpack because she swears her daughter is going to get her one day. :pb_sad: 

See, if we'd been allowed to do that, I might have liked going. Instead, our religious school would make us go sing at them. I hated singing, I hated singing the Doofy little kids songs they made us sing, and it felt very patronizing. Like we weren't treating them as people. There was one exception, a lady we would go talk to who was only in the nursing home Cuz she was blind. We were actually allowed to do something besides sing at and pray with her.

Also, at least in the nursing homes I visited, those poor people needed fresh air. They always stank.

See, if we'd been allowed to do that, I might have liked going. Instead, our religious school would make us go sing at them. I hated singing, I hated singing the Doofy little kids songs they made us sing, and it felt very patronizing. Like we weren't treating them as people. There was one exception, a lady we would go talk to who was only in the nursing home Cuz she was blind. We were actually allowed to do something besides sing at and pray with her.

Also, at least in the nursing homes I visited, those poor people needed fresh air. They always stank.

We had to sing also. Like I said the place I was forced to go to gave me the creeps one of my Hebrew School teachers was a director at that place. I also didn't like going to the place because my father had a stroke the summer before & the rehab place he was at was right next door to the nursing home.  

My mom was the head nurse at a nursing home for years, and when I was in high school I would go over there a few times a year to put up seasonal decorations....there was this one cantankerous old man who would always push himself out on his walker to "oversee" me putting up the decorations, and make remarks such as "Mmm, mmm, mmm. I love to see a tall, good looking girl in here! Nothing but short old women everyday." He was clearly kind of a gross old man, but I found it hilarious. (Obviously, cat-calling is not funny, this is the only instance of being cat-called in my entire life that I found amusing because getting heckled by a 90 year old man in a nursing home was just so ridiculous)  Every time the Maxwells post about their visits to the "elderly" I think of that old man, and imagine how one of the Maxwell girls would respond to an old man like that.

Obviously, cat-calling is not funny, this is the only instance of being cat-called in my entire life that I found amusing because getting heckled by a 90 year old man in a nursing home was just so ridiculous

Wow!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who's had this experience in a nursing home.  I had an uncle who lived in a nursing home, and whenever our family went to visit him, I would get similar treatment from some of the other men in the home.  I was a teenager at the time.

A couple years or so ago somebody called Steve out on his calling the residents "The Elderly".  His response was so condescending.  He said something like he thought that term was "precious" or something like that.

Anybody remember exactly what he said?

I remember that, but can't remember what he said, I don't think it was precious, enduring maybe?  Basically whatever adjective it was, Steve was like, "I think it is fine, so I'm going to keep using it".

Wow!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who's had this experience in a nursing home.  I had an uncle who lived in a nursing home, and whenever our family went to visit him, I would get similar treatment from some of the other men in the home.  I was a teenager at the time.

I worked in a nursing home as a CNA when I was in college.  Sigh.  Every night when I helped this one man get into bed, he would pat the bed next to him, give me a huge grin, and invite me to join him.  He had Alzheimer's so I had to reject him every single night. When we were serving them dinner in the dining room, I would be walking around with trays of food, getting my ass grabbed and pinched, except for the one guy who always missed and grabbed my knee.  It was mostly hilarious, and "the elderly" are generally cool people, although I didn't really care for the ass grabbing.  

I can't help but think that Steve would flip out if any of the old men in the nursing home would grab one of his daughters. 

That's a very good point.  If that happened, would Steve continue to have the family visit the home, or would he find other nursing homes to torture visit?

That's a very good point.  If that happened, would Steve continue to have the family visit the home, or would he find other nursing homes to torture visit?

Do you think he has his daughters speak only to the women residents?  They've always shown pictures of the daughters sitting next to residents, talking to them (at them?), and I'm wondering if they've ever shown a picture of the sisters sitting next to and talking to male residents?  Maybe they avoid it just for that very issue.

I am not sure if I should chalk this up to horrendous maxwell writing skills or if the maxwells truly see the "elderly" as all having some sort of mental handicap. The sentence: "the elderly just love the little ones" and actually every description Sarah writes about their time with the elderly bothers the every living fuck out of me. 

Seriously, I just had to chime in with the same sentiment.  I recall a classmate (ages and ages ago), a sort of fundie-lite gal, saying how cute the elderly are.  It's that condescending tone and dehumanizing statement that annoys the living hell out of me.  I know she thought she was being nice, but I told her that I will do my best to drop kick anyone who calls me cute or baby-talks me in my later years.  Nope.  Get off my retirement home lawn Maxwells.

Pumpkin cupcakes sound like a good idea.  I wonder if "the elderly" would prefer what one facility I toured does on Friday night - happy hour!  Drinks and dancing for the residents might be more fun than cupcakes after Bible time with the Maxwells. 

where my mom lives happy hour is every day at 4 on the dot and my mom participates every day. The do limit the residents to two glasses of wine a day, which I'm grateful for due to her Coumadin.

It does seem like they view them as pets who do not have individual personalities. They seem to treat their kids that way too though.

Do you think he has his daughters speak only to the women residents?  They've always shown pictures of the daughters sitting next to residents, talking to them (at them?), and I'm wondering if they've ever shown a picture of the sisters sitting next to and talking to male residents?  Maybe they avoid it just for that very issue.

I'm going to have to start looking for pics of them with men.

From what I've scanned in their books, though, they seem to think of the elderly as widows. Ministering to widows is apparently very godly. 

It does seem like they view them as pets who do not have individual personalities. They seem to treat their kids that way too though.

They most deffently treat their kids like they don't have different personalities.  They want them to be all the same. 

I was just looking through the titus2 blog posts on the nursing home, and saw this comment which is so sad.

Karin says:
April 26, 2011 at 6:44 pm
Just curious if you have any suggestions for a family with little ones on ways to do a nursing home visit. I sing and the kids like to sing with me; but at this point it would be just a “joyful noise”. They do know some scripture that perhaps we could sing for the residents. It would be a short program!  :)
>>>>>>>>>>>
They love children and even if you didn’t sing, they love to visit and look at the children. One thing is they don’t get to hold or even touch little children though, because little children put their hands in their mouths. Most of the elderly are fine, but there are some in nursing homes with infections that can be shared. So we have a common rule that way no one is singled out. Other than that they need the love and attention.

Steve

I can sort of understand wanting to protect the little ones, but why take them along if you are so worried about germs?!  

How fucking awful to use these people as an excuse for not belonging to a real church and then set up a rule that since some "elderly" have infections, then all the "elderly" are forbidden to touch the children that have been brought to run around the actual HOME that belongs to the residents, and not to Steve.

Off topic, but the Maxwells updated their "About" section with new pictures and bios.  Most notably, Sarah is once again described as wanting to be a wife and mother, but waiting for the right guy!  That part was removed a few years ago.  I guess the Maxwells have not given up on her marrying.  

I was just looking through the titus2 blog posts on the nursing home, and saw this comment which is so sad.

I can sort of understand wanting to protect the little ones, but why take them along if you are so worried about germs?!  

How fucking awful to use these people as an excuse for not belonging to a real church and then set up a rule that since some "elderly" have infections, then all the "elderly" are forbidden to touch the children that have been brought to run around the actual HOME that belongs to the residents, and not to Steve.

Yes, because only the elderly have germs, no way would a Maxwell child, chidult, or adult pass THEIR germs on to one of the elderly.

Archived