IGNORED

Mallys and Bright Lights and Weddings

clueliss

They had an event in Washington in April. On their website, they also show a few photos of the flyer they use to teach purity etc.  http://tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=16045 

They also made a video from this Iowa Outreach event. Well, I'm not surprised that they work together with Answers in Genesis. it's funny how they put a model of the ark there and then made a small train drive around it. :D 

http://tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=17106

And another blog post on how cool it is that a family used the gravestone for a family member as a "billboard for Jesus". Because that is what gravestones are for. Instead of remembering a beloved family member. 

http://tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=17123

And there will be other conferences in Ohio and Michigan in July .

• Upvote 5

Cheryl (from the Shoebox blog and The Long Way To Go blog, discussed elsewhere here on FJ) and three of her daughters are going to attend in Ohio. They were already invovled with Bright Lights, Emily Long had an "internship" at Bright Lights headquarters and led (or is still leading?) her own group, while a younger daughter, Corrie, leads something called "Tea Lights" with younger girls. 

Do you know if Tea Lights is an official programme from Bright Lights or if the Long family just made that up? I couldn't find anything about it on the BL website. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2017 at 0:52 AM, L1o2u3 said:

And another blog post on how cool it is that a family used the gravestone for a family member as a "billboard for Jesus". Because that is what gravestones are for. Instead of remembering a beloved family member. 

http://tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=17123

It made me think of this poem, which used to be popular on graves. Seems like these folks, and the Maxwells might like it.

Remember me as you pass by,

As you are now, so once was I,

As I am now, so you must be,

Prepare for death and follow me.

• Upvote 3

If I think.of it when I'm at a computer  I'll look for tea lights.  If it is legitimate there should be something about it buried on the tomorrow's forefathers website which is where the bright lights stuff is. 

TY. The way they always advertised chalk talks for conferences, I had assumed they were more of a unique thing. Back when I read through most of the Mallys blog, I did some searching to try to find an example of their chalk talks, but no success. 

• 2 weeks later...

And the quarterly newsletter for Bright Lights has blessed my email.  Note that she sent this with the wrong month in the newsletter.  So she sent a second email stating that it should read June and not March.  Apparently, the SRODT doesn't teach proof reading.

They have upcoming conferences in Cincinnati, Michigan, and Dallas.  

This email contains graphics, so if you don't see them, view it in your browser.

Dear Bright Lights leaders,  

I hope that each of you are doing well! We enjoy hearing reports from you, and we rejoice to think of all the young ladies being reached through your groups! I know that some of you have been leading groups for many years, and some of you are just starting. Whatever season of ministry you are in, may the Lord continue to give you His love for these girls and a perseverance that springs out of your love for Christ!

Many of the new Bright Lights leaders are girls who were in Bright Lights groups themselves when they were younger. It is always encouraging for me to hear their stories and to see how the Lord multiplies and carries on His work.  

For those of you in the Ohio or Michigan area, we’d love to see you at our upcoming conferences in July! Also, we are in need of small group leaders at the “Strong in the Lord” conference, July 24-25th. If any of you are available to help with this, please let me know. Here are dates and locations for the July conferences:

Upcoming Conferences
July 21-22 – Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference, Cincinnati, OH
July 24-25 – Strong in the Lord Conference, Bloomfield Hills, MI
July 27-28 – Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference, Bloomfield Hills, MI
September 22-23  – Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference, Dallas, TX
September 29-30  – Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference, Houston, TX

Leaders’ Encouragement Retreats
We are really grateful to Emily Selander and Haley Skrnich for initiating and coordinating the Leaders Encouragement Retreats last year, and I’m glad that many of you were able to be a part of those! I recorded a video with some thoughts for leaders to be shared at those retreats. If you were not able to attend the retreat, you can view that talk here: (The password is LER.)

We look forward to announcing dates and details about the 2017 Leaders Encouragement Retreats which will be taking place this fall, Lord willing.

I asked Emily to Selander to write some thoughts of encouragement to you leaders (below). Thank you to Emily for this insightful article!

Proclaiming God’s Name (By Emily Selander, Bright Lights Leader in Council Bluffs, Iowa)

Picture this: It’s been a long week—no, make that a long two or three weeks—of ministry and responsibility. You’re tired, and today was a day that just didn’t go well. Your plans splintered to pieces throughout the course of the day to leave you feeling spent. Pile on top of that the fact that some of your ministries have been a rocky road lately, and you’re not sure they are going to end in what you thought was success. That’s zoomed in. Zooming out to big picture, your family has a lot going on, and there are people around you who desperately need your attention and support. But you’re dissatisfied with how things have been going, and you’re not sure how things are going to keep going…

Know the feeling? Some people call this “overwhelmed.” Some, “stress.” Some, “discouraged.” Some, “needing coffee [insert: chocolate, sleep, etc.].” But whatever you label it, the temptation that you feel at a moment like this could be to “vent”… or maybe to “unload”…or maybe to “get the weight off your chest”—ok, ok. It’s actually called complaining.

Complaining: (v.i.) having a perspective so consumed by temporal sight that your thoughts or words are dictated by self-focused feeling rather than Spirit-focused reality

That temptation was a recent consort of mine. I had to kick him out—err, the Lord did—when I realized his true identity!

I was feeling similarly to the above paragraph, and I knew that it was a matter of fault with me, not the Lord. I knew that all the details in my life and ministry were covered by His goodness and that even in the little things, He was right. But even so, I had a steadily growing list of “I wish” and “If only” statements being filed away in discontented, wistful thoughts—that is, until the error of my thoughts got reWorded. The Lord got me.

The Lord answered my prayers for help by bringing this verse to mind: And he gave them their request; but sent leanness into their soul (Ps. 106:15). When I started to consider, I realized that if the Lord immediately gave me the end of all my “I wish” and “If only” statements, I would not be happy. I would be ashamed. Why? Because gifts are sweet, but being rewarded for whining is not. (Did your parents ever give you something you whined and manipulated to get?) But also, because the truth is this: my problem had nothing to do with not having whatever I wanted; my problem was my tempting God just like Israel.

Ps. 106: 13-14 say: They soon forgat his works; they waited not for his counsel: But lusted exceedingly in the wilderness, and tempted God in the desert. My complaining thoughts and attitude were saying, “Is God really providing sufficiently? Is He really being good enough?” I was like Eve standing at the tree in the Garden, considering, “Has God truly given me all I need to be satisfied? Is an entire garden of trees good enough, or do I need this one, too?”

I read the rest of Psalm 106 and thought about Israel always evaluating their situations based on how they felt about what they could see. It wasn’t that God didn’t want to give them food or water or protection; it was that He wanted them to ask Him and then wait for His counsel. He wanted them to remember His previous works and believe that He would be the same God to them continually. And He wants me to do the same thing. But the reason He never abandoned them, even in their complaining, was not only because of His mercy, because also of His name (v. 45).

I realized that my testimony before others speaks of His name to them. When I am choosing discontentment, I am not calling Him faithful, abundant, goodness, truth. But when I am choosing to praise and thank Him, then I am remembering and proclaiming Who He is—the great I AM—and displaying that He is more than good enough. Do my countenance and words say “woe is me,” or do they say “whoa is God!”?

Praise ye the LORD. O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever Who can utter the mighty acts of the LORD? who can shew forth all his praise?....he saved them for his name’s sake, that he might make his mighty power to be known (Psalm 106:1-2, 8).

Prayer and Praise

We are excited that the Lord has opened the way for us to hold more “Speak Truth in Your Heart” conferences in Mexico in September. Pray that the Lord would continue His work of reaching young ladies and raising up laborers unto the harvest in Mexico. 
As many of you know, I have been working on a book on Speaking Truth in Your Heart for young ladies—especially as a resource for Bright Lights groups. (It was originally going to be Set 9, but I have decided to publish it as a book instead.) I would appreciate prayer that it could be completed in God’s timing. Also, if any of you would like to submit ideas for the cover, we are working on that now! :-)
May the Lord bless you each with much fruitfulness as you continue to grow deeper in Christ!

“We shall have all eternity to celebrate the victories, but we have only the few hours before sunset in which to win them.” – Amy Carmichael

Blessings in Christ,
Sarah

Sarah Mally
Bright Lights | Tomorrow’s Forefathers Inc.
Equipping Families to be Strong in the Lord

www.brightlightsministry.com
www.facebook.com/brightlightsministry

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

I find it interesting that their Michigan conference is in a VERY wealthy suburb. The people there are conservative, but they are country club Republicans. Mitt Romney's prep school is located here. It isn't a place where one would expect to find many fundies.

• Upvote 1

The church I went to wasn't fundie.  I would term it mainstream evangelical.  But if you get the right pocket of very conservative folks in a church then something like Bright Lights for, you know, keeping your daughters pure becomes appealing.  And for the Mally's that means selling more of their literature.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

Yeah, but people in Bloomfield Hills are so status-conscious, especially where their kids are concerned. Bragging about your stay-at-home daughter who is waiting on the Lord for a spouse would get you some REALLY snotty responses from people whose kids just got into Ivy League schools.

• Upvote 4

http://www.brightlightsministry.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=73

I'm going to guess the folks at Bloomfield Hills Baptist Church are both rather conservative Christians interested in keeping daughters pure and interested somehow in keeping up appearances.  (and in my experience the two are not mutually exclusive - Mitt Romney was refernced above - is LDS and my LDS friends as a whole tend to also be interested in purity and very conservative) (also not all conservative Christians are of the keep your daughters ignorant and at home variety - I've known plenty who do send daughters to college and do allow women to work.  In fact, the person who had started Bright Lights at the church I attended did work).  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh look!  A tomorrow's forefather's newsletter from the mally's. - note that this one has men's conference dates.  Must have decided to branch out.

Dear Friends,
Greetings from the Mally family and Bright Lights staff. 

Mr. Wilson’s Challenge (By Sarah Mally, excerpt from her new book Speak Truth in Your Heart)

“Mr. Wilson has a challenge for you,” my mom explained to me, Stephen, and Grace one day.

“Look through the Christmas cards, and you will see.”

I was fifteen years old. I looked through the cards that had recently arrived, and sure enough, there was a special challenge from our elderly friend. With his card Mr. Wilson included a sheet listing ten attributes of God, along with a short definition of each. His challenge was that if we memorized the attributes and their definitions, he would give us a prize: a gift certificate for McDonald’s. But his standard was high: he said we needed to memorize them so well that we could repeat them perfectly when our parents asked us at random, unexpected times to quote them. Stephen, Grace, and I happily took the challenge.

I also decided that I would choose one of these attributes and focus on it each morning when I had my personal prayer time. I would spend a few minutes worshipping God for that particular facet of His character.

Thank You, Lord, for your perfect justice. I know that You do not simply overlook sin. You cannot, for that would not be just. But instead, You dealt with sin finally and fully when You gave Your Son in my place. Thank You that You can now justly forgive me because of Jesus’ sacrifice.

This little challenge impacted me in a big way. It taught me to spend more time talking to God about Him instead of simply about myself. As I spent time worshipping God, it made my prayer times richer and sweeter. I realized that as I prayed I was actually getting to know God better. There is nothing more important than developing a closer walk with Jesus, and one of the best ways to do this is to study His names and character found in His Word. As you use your newly gained insights and understanding to worship Him, this will bring glory to His name, and it will draw your heart nearer to His. Intimacy cultivated with Him will send your heart soaring with joy.

Satan wants to distort and confuse our understanding of God’s character. If he can convince us to believe lies about who our God is, this is a huge victory for him. But the better you know someone, the less likely you are to believe lies about them. For example, if you told me that your next-door neighbor had stolen your bike, I would probably believe you. But if you told me that my brother, Stephen, had stolen your bike, I would know you must have made a mistake! I know my brother well and am convinced without question that he would never do that.

How well do we know God? Do we know His heart, His ways, His character? As we grow in our understanding of who He is, this will be a safeguard, keeping us from believing lies about Him. Daniel 11:32 says, “The people who know their God shall be strong, and carry out great exploits.”

Office News:

New Conferences Added to our 2017 Bright Lights Schedule  
We have added 2 Texas locations to our schedule this fall. We are excited to announce a Speak Truth in Your Heart conference in Dallas, September 22-23, and in Houston, September 29-30. (We also have conferences in Cincinnati, Ohio and Bloomfield Hills, MI coming up in a few weeks. See full conference schedule below.) 

If you’d like to help us spread the word, please email and ask for our promotional email, or use the image on this post for sharing on Facebook or Instagram.

TESTIFY Training Camp 
On August 10-14 we will be running a 4-day (4-night) training camp, together with Tony Ramsek from Answers in Genesis, to equip believers in witnessing. Tim Chaffey (Answers in Genesis author and speaker) will also be speaking.The camp will be held simultaneously with the Iowa State Fair, at a location about ten minutes away. After witnessing training sessions in the morning, we will drive everyone over to the fair where we will put into practice what was learned together! We ran this camp last year and were blessed by the sharpening fellowship. See more information on our flyer. More pictures and details from last year’s outreach and camp can be seen on Grace’s blog post about it and on this 3-minute video she produced. You can register here.

Prayer Requests and Praises:

Ambassador’s Academy 
Grace and Nickie had a very encouraging trip to the Ambassador’s Academy, hosted by Living Waters, last weekend. They were privileged to be involved in mentoring other young ladies attending the academy, and they really enjoyed the fellowship and training themselves too. While Grace and Nickie were at Living Waters, they were also excited to interview Ray Comfort and E.Z. Zwayne for the witnessing video series which they are producing!

Mexico Trip in September
We are excited that the Lord has opened the way for us to hold more “Speak Truth in Your Heart” conferences in Mexico in September (in Torreon and Monterrey). Mr. Mally will also be teaching conferences for dads and young men, held simultaneously to the ladies conferences. Pray that the Lord would continue His work of reaching young ladies, young men, and godly parents in Mexico, and raising up laborers unto the harvest there. 

Sarah’s New Book
We are encouraged to see the Lord’s hand in Sarah’s new book, Speak Truth in Your Heart, as the final details come together. We would appreciate prayer that it could be completed in God’s timing, and that the Lord would use it to impact the lives of many young ladies. If any of you would like to submit ideas for the cover, we are working on that now! :-)

Online Resource of the Month: Names of God
Available this month for $7.50 (25% off retail price)
112 pages

This offer will be honored on our online store through July 31, 2017. At checkout, use promo code: Names2017

This study focuses on twelve of God’s names and titles: Elohim, Jehovah, El-Shaddai, Adonai, Jehovah-Jireh, Jehovah Rophe, Jehovah Nissi, Jehovah M’Kadesh, Jehovah Shalom, Jehovah Tsidkenu, Jehovah Rohi, and Jehovah Shammah. Each one reveals a particular aspect of God’s character. This book explores the meanings of these names, helps us to make personal application to our own circumstances, and shows how each one is fulfilled in Jesus in the New Testament. Jesus Christ is “the express image” of God (Heb. 1:3), declaring by attitude, word, and deed, the whole and wonderful Name of God. 
Knowing God’s name will increase our trust in Him. Like the psalmist we will learn to say, “And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; for You, LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You” (Ps. 9:10).

Upcoming Speaking Schedule:
July 21-22, Cincinnati, OH Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference (Please note this conference is FULL. There will be no at the door registrations.) 
July 24-25, Bloomfield Hills, MI Strong in the Lord Conference
July 27-28, Bloomfield Hills, MI Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference
August 10-14, Des Moines, IA Testify Training Camp
September 2-3, Torreon, Mexico Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference for ladies
Torreon, Mexico Just Men Conference for men
September 8-10, Monterrey, Mexico Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference
Monterrey, Mexico Just Men Conference for men
September 22-23, Dallas, TX Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference
September 29-30, Houston, TX Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference

God bless you and your families!

The Mally Family and Bright Lights Staff,

Tomorrow's Forefathers, Inc.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

• 3 months later...
33 minutes ago, meowfundiecatz said:

Does anyone know of a link about Grace Mally's engagement? Maybe it's on another thread?

I think they broke up.

• Upvote 2

There's none that I know of. All I know is I looked at Grace's fb page recently. She posted on her FB page that she was engaged and there were multiple pictures of them together. On both her page and his page. There was no wedding date set but they were engaged in August. I just looked again a couple days ago and everything is gone on both pages. Like it never happened. That bugs me about fundies. They blab on and on about he most minute details from their lives and then completely erase a relationship like it never happened. 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 1

So weird. I would expect at least a post that they're not engaged anymore. It must be uncomfortable to get questions because I'm pretty sure they get some questions from facebook followers. For me, that would be too painful if I had just gone through a break-up... 

On 6/21/2017 at 5:24 PM, FloraDoraDolly said:

Yeah, but people in Bloomfield Hills are so status-conscious, especially where their kids are concerned. Bragging about your stay-at-home daughter who is waiting on the Lord for a spouse would get you some REALLY snotty responses from people whose kids just got into Ivy League schools.

So familiar with this (grew up in a similar community). If you responded to "well, Elizabeth just finished up her sophomore year at Brown (subtext: we're very disappointed in her because we were aiming for Princeton) and will be spending her junior year spring in Paris in a French immersion program, and after that she'll be interning for our (Republican) congressman (subtext: whom we donate untold amounts of money to) for the summer...DC apartments are so expensive! What about your daughter?" with "Well, Katie is waiting at home for the Lord to bring her a husband", you'd get either a snotty/condescending response, or an "oh, that's...lovely (subtext: I will never allow my children near yours, please stop making our party look bad, I need a lot more wine now)".

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 10

Time for a Tomorrow' Forefather's Today newsletter.  

Stephen ran a marathon.  Grace manages to turn this experience into a tie to 1 Corinthians.  (and other scriptures - because apparently you just can't celebrate your brother doing his first marathon or something)  And hey - free shipping in December for their media materials.  And coloring cards for scripture memorization.  

http://new.brightlightsdiscipleship.com/index.php?option=com_acymailing&ctrl=archive&task=view&mailid=245&key=7ENJLS6H&subid=6908-0fe314986552d75439cab6fbc15b1070&tmpl=component

This email contains graphics, so if you don't see them, view it in your browser.

Dear Friends,

Greetings from the Mally Family and Bright Lights staff!

Stephen’s Finish Line (By Grace)
A few weeks ago, my brother Stephen ran in a marathon. Our family drove to Des Moines to watch and cheer. By using a tracking app, we could see how many miles Stephen had run so far and where he currently was on the route. This techy tool enabled us to drive to different spots along the 26-mile route and cheer for Stephen as he ran by.

Throughout the morning, when I had free minutes here and there, I was reading 1 Corinthians. Just before arriving at our last stop to cheer (the finish line!) I was reading these words … “Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire” (1 Corinthians 3:12-15 NKJV).

As I approached Stephen’s finish line, I was impressed with how fancy it was—a big colorful gate. Runners were finishing their race one by one and receiving their medals. The announcers shared details about the athletes as they crossed the line: “Runner 2553 is from Minnesota, and this is her 3rd race this year…”

It made me think about our heavenly finish line, where new people are arriving each day and being greeted. There must be such an awesome excitement in the air. New arrivals are doubtless eager to tell stories of God’s faithfulness to them on the journey. Cheering, warm-hearted saints in heaven (“the great cloud of witnesses” – Hebrews 12:1) are likely just as eager to hear their stories and praise God!

I have not even run a 5k race, so I can’t speak from experience about finish lines—but I can only imagine the agony that some of the athletes in Stephen’s race must have felt at about the 25-mile mark. Everything in them was focused on ONE thing: the finish line.

I thought, Imagine a finish line with JESUS there.

There is so much emotion contained in this thought! Talk about motivation! Not only is the pain over, not only is the goal reached, but you’re in the presence of Jesus—the One you’ve longed to see for so long.

Now, when Hebrews 12:1-2 discusses the race of life, the instruction it gives us is not to “run faster,” but rather to endure. We are supposed to run with endurance, looking unto Jesus. (He set the example for us by enduring the cross. No trial we encounter compares to His!)

So how do we endure? Glancing back through the previous chapter (Hebrews 11), we read stories of men and women throughout the ages who endured great trials, and the secret to their endurance is given: faith.

As you know, enduring trials is a normal part of the Christian life; in fact, it seems that the Lord often gives Christians extra trials because they are so good for us. I guess each trial is kind of like the Lord bringing us to the gym to build more faith muscles. Although trials are unpleasant, we need to view them as valuable; because if endured properly, they will ultimately enhance the joy of the finish line.

So to summarize, faith helps us to endure trials, and trials build our faith. The result is that our strengthened faith enables us to run better, be purified, and ultimately bring Jesus more glory and honor on that Day. There’s a reason James tells us to count it all joy when we face trials (James 1:2)! Peter also reminds us, “In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ” (1 Peter 1:6-7 NKJV).

If trials are beneficial for the race, what are the things that are damaging? We’re told in Hebrews 12: the extra weights we accumulate, and the sin which clings so closely. It was about 40° F the day Stephen ran his marathon. The organizers of the race informed the runners in advance that if they wanted to wear a sweatshirt and throw it to the side sometime during the race, they’d collect them and donate them to a homeless shelter. A serious runner doesn’t want anything unnecessary—even a sweatshirt. It’s not worth it.

At mile 25 in Stephen’s marathon, with just one mile left to go and a hurting knee, he began to walk. But soon another runner approached him and said, “Hey, only three-quarters of a mile left. Let’s run to the end.” So the two of them ran the last section together. The kindness of this stranger provided the extra boost Stephen needed. In our heavenly race, we’re not running against each other, but with each other! Far from a competition, part of “winning” is helping others win! What better way to do this than to remind them of the soon-coming finish line and to run beside them?  “Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another” (1 Peter 4:8).

Here’s a practical step of action. Pick one person in your life and pray some specific requests for them in the heavenly race:

Pray that he or she will lay off weights that are a hindrance

Pray that he or she will lay off the sin that clings so closely

Pray that he or she will stop building with wood, hay, and stubble but be eternally minded.

Share an encouraging word and point him or her to the finish line

“But exhort one another daily, while it is called ‘Today,’ lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin” (Hebrews 3:13 NKJV). 

“The Lord GOD has given Me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him who is weary. He awakens Me morning by morning, He awakens My ear to hear as the learned” (Isaiah 50:4 NKJV).

Summer Reports

Testify Training Camp
This witnessing training camp was one of the highlights of the year for us as we saw about 60 men, women, and teens come to Des Moines for four days to share the gospel at the Iowa State Fair. Tony Ramsek and Tim Chaffey from Answers in Genesis both came as speakers, and the fellowship among everyone was wonderful. Each day, after a morning of training, we’d head over to the fair to put the training into action. At the fair, we’d simultaneously have some praying, some working the booth, and some sharing the gospel with people outside. We praised the Lord for many great gospel conversations and learning experiences. Several attendees mentioned that their favorite part was gathering each night to share stories of witnessing opportunities that day.

Mexico Conferences
As we traveled to three locations in Mexico and ran conferences, we were glad to see the thirst for discipleship in both the young women and young men. As Sarah taught the Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference for the women, my dad taught Just Men conferences for the men. We enjoyed much good fellowship, gracious hospitality, delicious food, and even some tourist opportunities and evangelism outings. We were encouraged by many specific answers to prayer, and want to say a big thank you to any who were praying.

Homeschool and Bright Lights Conferences
The homeschool conferences in Peoria, IL, and Lancaster, PA, were encouraging times to connect with many homeschool families. We also held Bright Lights conferences in Cincinnati, OH, Detroit MI, and Dallas and Houston, TX over the summer and fall. We were grateful for each of these opportunities!

Prayer Requests

2018 Schedule 
We would appreciate prayer for our 2018 schedule as we seek the Lord’s will regarding conferences, new resources, and other events and projects we would like to organize.

Christmas Ministry
Pray for Christian families to use this season as a time to share the good news. There are open doors at Christmas like no other time of year. Pray that Christians would be zealous for good works, ministry minded, and bold in sharing Jesus Christ.

Free Shipping
We are giving free media mail shipping on our online store from now until Christmas. Offer is good through December 25th, 2017. Use promo code: shipping2017 (Please note: this does not apply to International orders or orders placed using the Bright Lights Leaders Discount pricing.) 

Online Resource of the Month
Grand Canyon: A Different View
This is a beautiful and interesting coffee table book. We have a quantity of slightly damaged (hardly noticeable) copies available for 50% off ($8.50 – normally $17). No promo code is necessary.

Was the Grand Canyon formed through a little water and a lot of time, or a lot of water and a little time? Does it point to millions of years or to a faithful Creator? Including many beautiful pictures and fascinating articles, this book gives you a different perspective of the Grand Canyon. Contributors: Duane Gish, Ken Ham, John MacArthur, Henry Morris, John Morris, Terry Mortenson, Gary Parker, John Whitcomb and others.

New Resources
Here are some new resources we have enjoyed recently and want to highlight:

Having More Children who Follow Christ
Holly Elliff shares biblical truths God used to challenge her own heart in this area. She reveals the far-reaching impact of what happens when believers choose to have fewer children, or even not to have children at all. She also shares tips for raising godly children to help cultivate an environment that encourages spiritual growth and fosters tender hearts.

Becoming Mr. Right 
A young man’s guide to God-honoring relationships. Michael Daniels provides a clear and helpful roadmap for young men as they pursue God’s ways, and seek to apply Scripture to important issues in life.

Scripture Memory Coloring Cards
An encouraging way to memorize and meditate on Scripture verses. These cards include a place to write the memory verse, decorations to color, and mini Scripture Studies on the back of each verse card. By the Thomsen sisters (Daughters of Decision.)

Bridging the Gap Between You and Your Folks
Full of real life examples, stories, and creative ideas, this book will help young people know how to build a loving relationship with their parents. (By Patience Normoyle.)

945 7th Ave
Marion, Iowa 52302

• Thank You 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was sent an email for a private facebook group for bright lights leaders.  

Um, no.  Just no.  I can’t even.  I lack stamina for that much “fun”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

If I ever ran a marathon, I'd be plenty pissed off if I found out that someone in my family had been reading the bible when I was nearing the finish line.  I'd want them to be cheering for all the runners going by and not just me.  That's what you do at a race.

• Upvote 4

and it is time for the Tomorrow's Forefather's Today email.  

Dear Friends,

Merry Christmas from the Mally Family and Bright Lights staff!

Tools for Your Witnessing Toolbox (By Grace)
Most Christians would like to get into gospel conversations with unsaved friends, coworkers, and family members during the Christmas season. The hard part is getting those conversations started in a non-awkward, non-pushy way. We believe that questions are a huge key. Questions are tools for starting conversations. If we prepare ourselves ahead of time with a few intriguing Christmas questions, it’s like grabbing some tools for our witnessing toolbox. Below are ten little “tools” for you. Our prayer is that they would open witnessing conversations for you this Christmas season as you share the incredible hope we have in Jesus.

Christmas Witnessing Questions

What was Jesus’ primary purpose for coming to earth as a man? (See John 12:27-28 and Hebrews 2:14)

Do you know what the word “incarnation” means? (See John 1:14)

Why did Jesus have to be born of a virgin? (He needed to represent both God and man.  In being born of a virgin, “the Word became flesh,” He was able to represent God to man, and man to God. Also, since God was His Father, He did not inherit Adam’s sin. Yet another reason He had to be born of a virgin was to fulfill prophecy.) 

How would you say that America as a whole has gone off course in their celebration of Christmas?  

The Bible tells us quite a bit about Jesus’ first coming. Do you know what it says about His second coming? Would you say you are ready for it?

Do you know what the first Christmas verse in the Bible is? (Genesis 3:15)

Have you ever looked into all the prophecies that were fulfilled at Jesus’ birth? (See Isaiah 7:14, Micah 5:2, Genesis 49:10 for starters. Also, here’s a good article about fulfilled prophecy.)

Why was Jesus born as a baby and instead of just coming to earth as a grown man? (He had to be of the human race, seed of a woman, Jewish, a descendant of Abraham, in the royal line, and He had to live a sinless, perfect life, to name a few reasons.)

What would it be like if Jesus had not come?

Have you read the Christmas account from the Bible yet this year? (If not, you can give them a “Christmas scroll” :-))

For more questions and for reminders of these, you can like our “Will Our Generation Speak” Facebook page where Grace will be posting them.

Christmas Scrolls  
We now have "Christmas Scrolls" (The Christmas Account from the Bible) available from our online store. We printed 5,000 and pray that the Lord gets them into homes and hearts who will be receptive to His Word. We like to say, "Here's the Christmas story from the Bible for you to read this Christmas," as we give them out. People receive them with gratefulness and warmth. They're great to give with some cookies to neighbors, doctors, coworkers, teachers, etc.

This tract includes only Scripture as the text (plus a few websites at the end). It includes prophecies from Micah and Isaiah, the Christmas account from Matthew and Luke, and some gospel verses from John.

They don't come rolled—you have to roll them yourselves. You can tie them with a ribbon or make a little paper ring, using red or green construction paper, and then roll the tracts and slide them in. My Grandpa who works for us at the Bright Lights office daily (even though he is 91 years old!), has already rolled about 300 rolled for some upcoming outreaches here. They are available from our online store in packs of 25, 50, 100, and 250.

Another One of God’s Little Miracles
Back in 2012, we received an email from a lady from Switzerland who asked if she could translate the Bright Lights material into French. We have learned that you have to be very careful with translations, and not give permission without ensuring it will be done accurately. After corresponding with her, we did give her permission to start, but our communication with her was slow and often delayed. We had a few reservations since we didn’t know her personally, and we ended up losing touch with her.

Fast forward to August 2017. We were at Wednesday night Bible study at Northern Hills Bible Chapel in Ohio, preparing for a Bright Lights conference. Another visitor was there that night—a man named Philip from Switzerland. He introduced himself to us, and when he heard that we led the Bright Lights ministry, he told us that his wife had begun translating the material into French a few years ago. This was the husband of the lady we had been corresponding with five years previously! He and his family were in the States on a trip and he just “happened” to be visiting Northern Hills Bible Chapel that evening!

The next day he brought his wife, Marjorie, and his 6 children over to meet us, and we had a wonderful talk about Bright Lights, French translation work, and ministry in Europe. We were both very surprised to learn that we are part of the same church affiliation and have so much in common! We have likeminded ministry goals, and we can’t think of a better family to help with French translations of our resources. We were both amazed at how God “randomly” brought us together, as we “happened” to be visiting the same church the same evening.

We’d appreciate prayer for translation work of the Bright Lights material and our other resources, not just into French, but into other languages as well. When we have traveled Internationally, it has been very evident how great the need is for more Biblical, practical discipleship resources to be available in other languages. It’s easy to forget how blessed we are in the United States with so many resources available. It is encouraging to know that this is God’s work, and He is able to bring about His will, even when we are negligent in keeping up with emails and get behind on things.

Online Resource of the Month: Book - Questions Jesus Asks
We have a quantity of slightly damaged (hardly noticeable) copies available this month for $5.00 (retail $13.00).
181 pages, by Israel Wayne

Jesus often answered a question with a question. The questions Jesus asked during His time on earth were of utmost significance and they speak directly to our own lives. Jesus’ penetrating questions cut past the pretense and reach the target of our hearts. This book explores 20 of these questions. 

This offer will be honored on our online store through December 31, 2017 or while the supply lasts. No promocode needed.

Free Shipping
We are giving free media mail shipping on our online store from now until Christmas. Offer is good through December 25th, 2017. Use promo code: shipping2017. Please note: this does NOT apply to International orders, or orders placed using the Bright Lights Leaders Discount pricing.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

Thanks @clueliss The Mallys are  so annoying.  And they are Tools for presuming to provide tools to pester people with for Christmas.

OK.  So Jesus often responded to questions with questions. 

Palimpsest's Guide to Punking Proselytizing Pestiferous PITAs.

What was Jesus’ primary purpose for coming to earth as a man? (See John 12:27-28 and Hebrews 2:14)

Don't you think Jesus was self glorifying when he presumed to be God and save humanity from the Devil and the fear of Death?

Do you know what the word “incarnation” means? (See John 1:14)

Of course, why don't you?

Why did Jesus have to be born of a virgin? 

Wasn't Mary just having a hard time getting pregnant by Joseph and cheated on him? 

How would you say that America as a whole has gone off course in their celebration of Christmas?

Don't you think that the Founding Fathers were right when they separated Church and State? 

The Bible tells us quite a bit about Jesus’ first coming. Do you know what it says about His second coming? Would you say you are ready for it?

Jesus had orgasms?  

Do you know what the first Christmas verse in the Bible is? (Genesis 3:15)

Don't you know your Bible? (And what the fuck does "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel" have to do with Christmas?)

Have you ever looked into all the prophecies that were fulfilled at Jesus’ birth? 

Haven't you?   Why don't you read your Bible to find out? 

Why was Jesus born as a baby and instead of just coming to earth as a grown man? 

Haven't you been taught any biology?

What would it be like if Jesus had not come?

Are you still trying to talk about sex?

Have you read the Christmas account from the Bible yet this year? (If not, you can give them a “Christmas scroll” :-))

Have you ever been to a Sing-Along of Handel's Messiah?  

Of course you need to turn and walk away from the PITA after any of these answers. ;)

Edited by Palimpsest
tagging Clueliss
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

@Palimpsest, if I disgrace myself by howling with laughter and rolling on the floor right here in line at Walmart, I may have to come get my revenge upon you! :wink-kitty:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3