IGNORED

Mallys and Bright Lights and Weddings

clueliss

Look what I found on Grace Notes (the Mally Family Blog).  The tracts are available for purchase to hand out when witnessing.

St_Patrick_Page_1.jpg

St_Patrick_Page_2.jpg

Edited by PsyD2013
Double comment

What's interesting is that fundies, who seem to be only capable of talking about religion, are the least Christ-like people. They don't seem to care about helping people like Jesus taught. Jesus didn't just help the soul but the body as well. Fundies never hold fundraisers to help anyone. No one is helping the poor, they don't care about the homeless, sick or helping food banks which many of them likely need to go to. They don't volunteer. I am including in this "missionaries" such as Jill and Derrick, who don't help but instead try to enjoy their poverty vacations. It's one of the reasons I think it is obvious fundies do not understand the Word of God because they truly don't live it.

People of all faiths, and those who are not believers, are out there working hard to make life better for others. Many of these are volunteers who could be spending their free time on their own pursuits but instead give to others. People who care about those they dont even know. That is doing what Jesus wanted, even if you don't believe in him. That was his message. Jesus didn't waste time on whether girls should wears dresses or what makes a family. He was not about oppression but love. I am always astounded by how little fundies focus on the true teachings of Jesus. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

44 minutes ago, PsyD2013 said:
44 minutes ago, PsyD2013 said:

Look what I found on Grace Notes (the Mally Family Blog).  The tracts are available for purchase to hand out when witnessing.

St_Patrick_Page_1.jpg

St_Patrick_Page_2.jpg

Look what I found on Grace Notes (the Mally Family Blog).  The tracts are available for purchase to hand out when witnessing

I watched it so you don't have to

It didn't change my views on anything.  I'd be happy and smiling, too, if I were on a deserted beach on a sunny day. 

49 minutes ago, PsyD2013 said:

St_Patrick_Page_1.jpg

St_Patrick_Page_2.jpg

Well I suppose at least they got some of the history right - probably through an exhaustive Wikipedia search. Frigging liberal interpretation of Patrick's 'message' though since really all we have to go on is how the Celtic church developed and a few later accounts. In fact it sounds oddly just like the Mally's message. Strange that isn't it?

Edited by EmainMacha
missed out words
  • Upvote 3

I guess I'm not understanding what is the purpose of handing these tracts out.

Patrick's message (or at least what they say is his message) is pretty much what fundies believe and really nothing different than what Catholics believe.

What am I missing?  What point are they trying to make?

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

They may not be evil, but they do want to be brainwash you.

They may not be evil, but they do want to be brainwash you.

5 hours ago, PsyD2013 said:

The Mally family  lives in my hometown. I see them every year at the St. Patrick's Day Parade!  PsyD junior and I will be at the parade again this year.  Maybe we will get lucky this and be given a tract (sarcasm).  

Perhaps you should arm yourselves with some tracts to give to them? Perhaps some Scientology literature?

3 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I dare the Mallys to take their pamphlets into a pre-Shabbat potluck at the nearest synagogue. Or into a meeting at the local Kingdom Hall after a JW service. Or to offer them to Muslims leaving prayer services at a mosque. 

In the St. Louis metro, Lenten fish frys are sponsored by Lutheran and even an occasional Protestant church as well as by many RC parishes, and one of the radio stations offers free air time to call in and promote why your fry is the best, and what speciality you offer that sets you apart. 

The day may be coming where we hear, "Our fish fry at St. Bud and St. Lou is tract-free!! No pamphlets, no unexpected evangelizing!"

I think at the very least, they will try to hand out pamphlets at a Kingdom Hall.

I agree, I wouldn't be surprised if parishes or other church communities takes steps to prevent that. The Mallys and their leghumpers will try to find various events to hand out pamphlets.  I wouldn't put past them to show up at one of those concerts that are held liberal megachurches.

22 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Patrick's message (or at least what they say is his message) is pretty much what fundies believe and really nothing different than what Catholics believe.

Well if like similar people I've come across they think people (i.e. Catholics) are having a fish fry for 'good works' in the belief that will get them into heaven as opposed to by 'grace'. So they're warning people that's it's better to spend money on producing tracts and spread the Word than it is to be charitable and want to help people.

I think they may not have a good understanding of Catholic teaching. I imagine they think that there's a lot of 'worshipping statues' going on.

Edited by EmainMacha
repeating words
  • Upvote 6

3 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Our parish fish fry serves about twice as many people as are registered in the parish every week. And these extra people probably are not Catholic or they'd be at their own parish's fish fry. Every parish in our area seems to have one. It is likely many of the people getting the tracts aren't even Catholic. 

My mother and I went to the parish near her house last Friday. The majority of the people they serve are not parish members either. And last Friday, all their proceeds went to a local food pantry. If you brought food donations, you got free shrimp or dessert and they also had a bucket for extra cash donations for the food pantry. It was pretty full and there was a huge pile of cans. That fish fry averages about 1100 served every week, so I imagine that the food pantry got a much needed spring boost out of it. 

Perhaps the Mallys should donate the money they spend on tracts to a food pantry instead. 

2 hours ago, socalrules said:

What's interesting is that fundies, who seem to be only capable of talking about religion, are the least Christ-like people. They don't seem to care about helping people like Jesus taught. Jesus didn't just help the soul but the body as well. Fundies never hold fundraisers to help anyone. No one is helping the poor, they don't care about the homeless, sick or helping food banks which many of them likely need to go to. They don't volunteer. I am including in this "missionaries" such as Jill and Derrick, who don't help but instead try to enjoy their poverty vacations. It's one of the reasons I think it is obvious fundies do not understand the Word of God because they truly don't live it.

People of all faiths, and those who are not believers, are out there working hard to make life better for others. Many of these are volunteers who could be spending their free time on their own pursuits but instead give to others. People who care about those they dont even know. That is doing what Jesus wanted, even if you don't believe in him. That was his message. Jesus didn't waste time on whether girls should wears dresses or what makes a family. He was not about oppression but love. I am always astounded by how little fundies focus on the true teachings of Jesus. 

The Mallys will never realize that their tract projects don't really do anything. They have a history of not tipping restaurant servers and giving them those fake "$10 bills" that have Bible verses IIRC.

There are some fundies that do some volunteering work and fundraising. Sometimes, the fundraising, of course is for fellow fundies, best examples: are the people that raised money for Kelly C after the 2011 tornado, the money raised for Lyndsie during her cancer bouts and the Little Tait fund to pay off NICU bills. There are some fundies who at the very least hold fundraisers or donate goods to shelters or pregnancy centers.  But the Mallys piss me off the most. They  don't do shit for others in need and like I mentioned above they don't give a shit about the livelihoods of people who serve them in restaurants.

If the Mallys and/or their leghumpers continue to show up to fundraising events at churches, I hope someone points out to them people volunteer for the events and are trying to help others out.  Sarah Malley's crap book does nothing to help others, meanwhile many churches despite their controversial histories actually help people in need.

• Upvote 2

Grace Mally wrote on "Grace Notes" that she gave one of the tracts to the man who empties their dumpster.  Wonder if the tract went into the dumpster??  

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Mary C Doates said:

Our local Jehovah's Witnesses use phone calls to recruit--cheaper than printing tracts, I guess. So much easier to block their calls instead of having to shut the door on them :P

Reminds me of the old slogan, "Let your fingers do the walking."

Yes, I'm old.

• Upvote 2

I remember reading in one of their magazines(probably Awake!)of a woman with a disability who did that to fulfill her field service obligation.

Here we go - the March newsletter for your snarking pleasure.  

Dear Friends,

Hello from the Mally family and Bright Lights staff!

Hey, I Know You!       (by Grace Mally, written on March 4th, 2016)
While Nickie and I were trying to record our Saint Patrick Gospel Tract video yesterday in our bookstore, the door opened and a guy in his twenties walked in.
We greeted him.
"Hey, I'm looking for a few books," he told us.
I looked at him more closely. Then it hit me who he was.
"Hey, are you ... ?" I began…
He smiled.
Yeah, I know this guy, I realized.
He knew me too. But I think he was going to wait and see if I recognized him.
Now I'm going to rewind eight years in the story ...

Sarah and I used to go to the mall regularly with a group of girls to share the gospel. There was one young teenage boy I kept running into: Angeo. Occasionally, we'd run into the same kids twice, but I ran into Angeo three or four different times! I remember discussing with Sarah how neat it was that the Lord kept giving me opportunities to share with Angeo.

After I talked with him the first time in 2008, I jotted down a summary of the conversation. Today I found that summary in a Word document. Apparently, I had started the conversation with some optical illusion tracts from Living Waters, and then asked some gospel questions.
After we had been talking for a while near the mall food court, Angeo asked me, "Isn't the Bible all changed and messed up now? Like, it's been translated a million times and there are so many versions and everything ..."
"Actually," I explained, "The Bible can be trusted ... It's not like a big game of 'telephone' like some think ... Translators go back to the original Greek ... " (And I gave a defense for trusting the Bible).
"Who are you?" he asked, looking at me sort of funny.
I laughed. "I'm Grace. What's your name?"
"Angeo," he said.
"This is really interesting," he told me, and he sat down cross-legged on the tile floor.
"Um ... " I smiled, looking down at him, "... do you want to move to a bench?"
"No, I'm good," he said cheerfully.
Great. I'm sure this looks funny, I thought. The two other girls with him and I remained standing. But if he wants to relax on this dirty mall floor while we discuss the gospel, that's his choice, I concluded. Soon a security guard came over and told Angeo he couldn't sit on the floor. ("Babysitting" the teens hanging out keeps the mall security guards pretty occupied.[smile]) Angeo and his friends continued making various silly comments. I laughed, but I told them, "This is serious, guys. It's not a joke. You could get hit by a car when you leave and then you'd have to face God. The Bible says it is appointed unto man once to die and then to face judgment."
In a serious tone, Angeo replied, "So if someone wanted to, like, know they were going to Heaven, how would they know?"

Great question, thank you for asking that, I thought.

"Well, let's say you were standing before a judge and you owed millions of dollars, and someone walked up and said, 'Here, I am going to pay your fine. I sold everything I had and here's the money so you can go free.' That's what God did for us. God became a man—Jesus—and came to earth 2,000 years ago. Most people know that Jesus died on the cross, but they don't really understand why. We deserved to die, but He died for us. Now all we have to do is believe and repent and come to Him."

A Few Months Later
I was encouraged to see Angeo's interest in these topics, and was pleased to keep running in to him at the mall. But it didn't stop there. Several months later I was on the other side of town for the Fourth of July fireworks celebration. Guess who I ran into? Angeo. What are the odds?! We live in a city with a metropolitan area of about 180,000! I talked with him more, and gave him a DVD. The Lord is really reaching out to Angeo, I concluded.

What really floored me was when I ran into Angeo again, just two years ago at the "Freedom Festival" downtown. After six years, I couldn't believe that we both recognized each other! Now Angeo had a wife and a child, but he still had the same smile and warm personality. I regretted that I didn't have much time to talk with him and his wife, but I gave him a DVD and told him about our bookstore. And that leads us up to  ...

Yesterday       
When Angeo walked into our store yesterday, I was thrilled for yet another chance to share Jesus with him! I showed him our new St Patrick Gospel tract. This led to a discussion about what true Christianity is. Angeo said that he was still on his road to discovery.

"Christianity is really all about a PERSON—Jesus Christ," I told him. "It's not about rituals or traditions, it's about having a real, living relationship with our Creator and Savior."
"I know I do not have anything like the sort of relationship with Jesus that you are describing," Angeo told me. "I have not been exposed to all the Christian teaching you have had ... And right now, I'm so torn between responsibilities as a father and husband that I don't have time to investigate everything—but maybe one day I will."
"Well,” I replied, “To be a good dad and husband, the thing you need the most is Jesus! He's the One who created the family and He can help you more than anything else!"
Angeo agreed.
"And one day may not come!" I stressed, reminding Angeo of the urgency of getting right with God. I told him the story of a couple I witnessed to a few weeks ago who got into a car accident that very night. I warned him of the consequences of not coming to God for salvation.
I added, "You know I'm only saying this all because I care, right?"
He smiled and agreed.
"So, you said you are going to Mt. Mercy college, do you know Luke Rathke?" I asked, hopefully. (Luke is a friend of ours and a huge witnesser on campus!)
"Tall and thin? Yeah, we've actually eaten some lunches together," he replied.
Really?! I thought, Luke is a perfect one for him to be spending time with!
Luke's sister, Shelby, overheard the conversation because she was volunteering in the Bright Lights office yesterday. She stepped out to meet him.

This story-in-process reminds me of a few lessons.

The Lord is powerful to arrange circumstances. He is actively reaching out to people.  He can even bring someone back across your path whom you witnessed to six years ago.

People need good teaching. Angeo has heard a few things from me, but he needs much more. I pray we (or whoever God uses) will be able to study the Bible with him.

Our labor is never in vain in the Lord (1 Corinthians 15:58). Perhaps now is the time that the seeds germinating inAngeo's heart will come to fruition.

Please pray for Angeo—that he would truly seek the Lord, and find Him.

Prayer Requests 

Saint Patrick’s Day and Resurrection Weekend Outreaches
Pray that Christians would make the most of the coming holidays by using them as opportunities for the gospel. See info below about the Saint Patrick and Resurrection tracts we have available.

Girls’ Camp – “Speaking Truth in Your Heart”
Pray for Sarah as she speaks at a camp in Cle Elum, Washington the first weekend of April. Kimbrlee Larsen, a Bright Lights leader, is organizing this event. Sarah will be sharing on the topics of “Speaking Truth in your Heart” and “Identifying Lies of the Enemy.” 

Radiant Purity Video Conference in Hong Kong
We praise God for the first Bright Lights conference in Hong Kong,coming up soon. Pray for the Lord to work in young ladies’ lives and for more Bright Lights groups to start in that country.

Office News

New Tracts Available!
We recently revised and redesigned the Saint Patrick Gospel Tract and Evidence for the Resurrection Gospel Tract. We printed them in full color, on glossy paper, to make them available for others. 

Saint Patrick Gospel Tract: Most people don’t know much about Saint Patrick. He was a preacher of the gospel to Ireland in the 4th century. This tract tells a brief version of his history, and then clearly explains his message—the gospel! People are typically quite eager to receive the tract. Watch this video where Grace explains about using Saint Patrick’s Day as a tool for the Lord.

Evidence for the Resurrection Gospel Tract: In Acts 1:22 Peter mentions that the 12 apostles were witnesses of Christ’s resurrection. We must be witnesses of His resurrection too. If Jesus hadn’t risen, His death would have been pointless! This tract, which summarizes the evidences of Christ’s resurrection and presents the gospel, is a great tool for evangelism—especially during Resurrection weekend!

Bright Lights Conferences in St. Louis Area
We are excited to announce that we have two live Bright Lights conferences scheduled for June near St. Louis!

June 20-21 Strong in the Lord Conference
June 23-24 Radiant Purity Conference
Registration is open now! Please contact us to request flyers and promotional material.

Resources of the Month
This month we are giving 25% off all Creation Books and Creation DVDs on our online store. Click on our “Creation Science” section to browse through the 120 items available. We believe it is important for every family to be well grounded in creation science. It is a major battle of our day, and an important aspect of being prepared to give an answer for the hope that we have. “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear” (1 Peter 3:15).

A few books we especially recommend:
The Evolution of a Creationist by Dr. Jobe Martin
The New Answers Books Volumes 1-4
The Answers Books for Kids Volumes 1-6
The New Answers DVD Volumes 1-3
The Global Flood By John Morris
The Exploring Series (suggested for home school unit studies) Exploring the World of Medicine, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Astronomy, the World Around You, and Planet Earth

Offer is good through April 30th, 2016 or while supply lasts. Use promo code: creation2016 (Please note: if the item is already on sale, you will receive an additional 25% discount.)

Upcoming Schedule
April 1-3 Speaking Truth in Your Heart Girls Camp, Cle Elum, Washington
June 20-21 Strong in the Lord Conference, Shiloh, IL (near St. Louis)
June 23-24 Radiant Purity Conference, Shiloh, IL (near St. Louis)

God bless you and your families!

The Mally Family and Bright Lights Staff, Nickie Biegler, Bekah May, Hannah Sandersfeld, Shelby Rathke, and David Rodgers

@clueliss  Thank you for posting the March newsletter!  Interesting that one of their leghumpers is trying to witness  harrass students on the campus of a Catholic University.  I've guest lectured at MMU, it is a very inclusive and progressive campus.  There is a sizeable GBLT presence on campus.  I've never encountered any Mally leghumpers with tracts but will now be on the look out for them.

Oh look - it's the leader email.  (and does David Rodriques know that the Mally's are giving people links to print their own free tracts for Bright Lights and such?)

This one is not sent by a Mally and I'm leaving the name off.  It is from the Tomorrow' Forefather's organization.

This email contains graphics, so if you don't see them, view it in your browser.

Dear Bright Lights leaders, 
Hello! We have a special “missions theme” to share with you in this update. As the Lord has called the church to make disciples of every nation, tribe and tongue, we certainly want to encourage the girls in our group to have a global focus! But before we share some ideas about that, we wanted to make you aware of a few upcoming events and opportunities for ministry outreach.

Resurrection Tracts
We have recently revised the Evidence for the Resurrection tract and printed them in bulk for others to use. This tract is a wonderful tool for sharing the Gospel as we approach Easter (Resurrection Sunday) in a few weeks! This short tract summarizes several key evidences of the resurrection in a simple, but profound way and clearly explains the Gospel. As many in this world are trying to disprove the claims of Scripture, this is one easy way to spread the truth about our Risen Lord!

If you are able to go out witnessing in the coming weeks and months (whether alone or with a group), please do send us an email to let us know how it goes. We would love to hear many reports of witnessing outreaches that took place all over the country!      

You can read the entire tract and purchase them in bulk on our online store. Simply click on the “Evangelism” category and scroll down to find the various quantities available.

“Speaking the Truth In Your Heart” Camp in Washington State
Sarah will be flying out to Cle Elum, WA this April to speak at a special weekend hosted by Bright Lights leader,name removed, at a beautiful campground in the Cascade Mountains. She’ll be sharing sessions based on the material she’s been writing for her new book. In these sessions, Sarah will challenge girls to know the Word of God and to build their lives on it. She will include many stories, illustrations and practical tips as she discusses lies girls often believe about God, themselves, salvation, sin, temptation, emotions, purity, and witnessing. She will encourage girls to grow in their personal walk with Jesus, delight in Scripture, understand their position in Christ, submit their emotions to God, gain victory over temptation, wait for God’s best in marriage, share the gospel boldly, and use their single years for the Lord.

For more information and to register, visit her website. If you’re within driving distance, please pass this information along to the girls in your group and consider attending! It will be a highly uplifting weekend with wonderful teaching, fellowship with likeminded young ladies and wholesome activities.   

Bright Lights Conferences in the St. Louis area!
We are excited to announce that we will be holding both a Strong in the Lord (June 20-21) and a Radiant Purity (June 23-24) conference in Shiloh, IL this summer! Registration is now open online. Please help us spread the word! You can contact us to request conference flyers and/or a promotional email that you can pass along to the girls in your group. We would love to see you there!  

A Focus On Missions 
Have you already taught through the 8 Bright Lights Sets with your girls and are wondering what topics you might want to cover next? We would highly recommend that you prayerfully consider taking several meetings to discuss the importance of missions (both domestic and international) with your group. Sarah has taught several lessons on the subject of missions in our local group over the past few years and it’s always been received very well by the girls!

Haley, a leader in Texas, recently emailed us this report from her group: As we prepared to jump back into meetings this past fall, I was praying about what we should be focusing on as a group. Materialism, self-focus, and a resistance to God were some very real things that were pulling at many of the girls in our group. The more we give into these temptations and the more we listen to the enemy’s lies, the more lukewarm we become, and the less “real” our faith seems. My heart’s prayer was that the girls would recognize the reality of the fullness of Jesus, His power to work so that HIS name might be glorified, and the excitement of seeing His kingdom advanced. 

So, we decided to take five meetings to just focus Internationally. This was a great opportunity to take our eyes off of ourselves and look first to the Lord, then to the needs of believers, and finally the millions of lost souls. We started out the “series” by playing a video of a little girl who had been chased out of her home to a refugee camp by ISIS. She told of her faith in God and how she trusted Him in spite of what she had been through. The silence after that video was deafening; it was definitely a reality check. For each meeting we focused on a difference country, talking about the needs, statistics, and prominent false religions. If there was a Bright Lights group in that country/region, we would spend additional time praying for that group. It was very eye opening for the girls to realize that there were other groups of girls, just like them, that were meeting in other countries, even other towns and states! Suddenly, everything seemed so large and so real. No longer was it “about them”, they are just one part in God’s plans to advance His kingdom. This was a beautiful place to stop at with the girls, because yes, they are just one part, but they are a very important part. It is amazing how much impact one life can have, especially when Christ is the reason, the root, and the purpose for that impact…it is a truly beautiful thing. So, each meeting was filled with facts, evangelism tips and challenges, times of prayer, a practical project for someone in need, as well as studying a specific passage of scripture. It was a very special time. Girls were witnessing, one girl trusted in Christ, and others found practical ways to be encouraging other believers. Let’s be praying that our eyes would be turned to the Lord and that we would love Him with all of our heart, mind, soul, and strength! And let’s pray that these precious girls would have hearts that are turned to Him, and that would have a vision for His glory!

Practical Suggestions 
At the International Focus Week we held at the office last summer, a team of Bright Lights leaders compiled a list of activities and illustrations that could be used to help you plan a lesson (or several lessons) with a focus on missions. One of the leaders, Esther, divided those ideas into two different categories (one-time events and ongoing projects) that you’ll see listed below.

We also have two other documents that may be helpful to you. Send me an email to request either or both of these documents!

The Voice of the Martyrs organization has put together a one-page document called “Persecution in the Bible”. It’s a list of various Scripture passages (from Genesis to Revelation) that deal with the issue of persecution. Though it isn’t an exhaustive list, it can be very useful in planning a lesson on missions!

We also have a document on how to pray for the persecuted church. Complete with Scripture verses, it contains 16 points that can be helpful with offering up specific prayers for those facing persecution.    

Mission-themed Events

Invite A Missionary or Missionary Couple
Find a missionary (maybe someone supported by your local church, or one of the Bright Lights attendees’ church, etc) who can come give a presentation at your BL meeting.

Invite A Missionary Kid (or MKs)
Find a missionary kid (maybe someone supported by your local church, or one of the Bright Lights attendees’ church, or even a previous MK).  Ask them to share with your girls what it’s like being an MK, the challenges, learning curves, blessings, etc. For older girls, maybe even share some articles/reading material to help them get a better grasp of what it’s like.

Country Focus
Research specific countries. (Optional: take a poll among your girls to see which countries they’d especially be interested in learning about. This can help narrow down your selections. :-) ) Put together a skit or a booth/scene based on life in that country. Maybe have crafts, games, etc. to help solidify the information learned. Give specific prayer points as part of a take-home project.

Dispatches from the Front videos
Preview videos first to determine age appropriateness of this activity, as well as check with parents before showing. But for those who are very serious about reaching the world for Christ and seeing His Kingdom grow, watching these can be incredibly inspiring and encouraging, as well as challenging. Could be done as a separate activity, not done at the regular group meeting.

Historical Missionary Night
Pick a missionary from history. Research him/her, and give a presentation of his/her life. Find props, pictures, etc. to help girls remember it. Possibly even use a visualized story to share. Apply truths to the girls’ lives, missionary or not.

Passport/Visa Night
Research (maybe ask a missionary about?) the processes for getting a passport, and applying for visas, doing border crossing, etc. Set up the meeting location with various offices and checkpoints/borders in and out of “countries”, and WAITING ROOMS :-) and give instructions for girls to go through the whole process. Have some girls encounter problems, delays, and even denials. Share/talk about your experiences afterwards. This will help them understand the challenges and importance of passports and visas for missionaries. It will help them understand what they’re praying about when missionaries ask for prayers on their passports, visas, paperwork, etc. This is a topic that is usually very foreign and confusing for those who have not experienced it.

Field Trip to the Compassion Experience
If there is a Compassion Experience showing in your area, contact parents and organize a trip to attend this free event. Sponsored by Compassion International. 

Mission-themed Projects

Write Letters to MKs
Find some MKs (Missionary Kids) who the girls can write to. Assign each girl an MK, and encourage them to write letters, send cards, etc. Maybe even send a care package.

Care package ideas:
It doesn’t have to be fancy. A lot of things that we take for granted here in the US, like good hair holders/clips, stickers, stationary, good books, craft supplies, etc. are not easily accessible in many countries. Especially new items. Even a new hairbrush or comb can be very meaningful.
(Note: before sending books, DVDs, CDs, or any media, make sure with your MK [or her parents] that it will not be a problem for the specific country. Some closed or hostile countries will censor mail, and media items especially can cause problems.)

Operation Christmas Child Shoeboxes
Set a goal for a certain number of shoeboxes for your group as a goal. Make sure the parents are aware of the project. See contact page for more details.

Blankets
Making hand-tied fleece blankets is a simple and fun project, and are a good thing to donate to Crisis Pregnancy Centers, single mothers homes, or missions groups.

VOM (Voice of the Martyrs) Letters
Obtain enough addresses/contact information from VOM for each girl to write to a persecuted Christian. Multiple girls could write to the same one. Provide them with ideas for Scriptures to share, by having a Bible study/session on persecution and a Christian’s right response to it. Challenge them to pray for their assigned person every day for a specific length of time.

Missions Calendars
Each month for a year, make a calendar page for the next year with information on a specific country. At the end of the year, you will have a completed calendar for the next year, so that girls can remember what they learned and continue to pray for the various places.
Variation: As you learn about each country throughout the year, the group leader (you) creates a calendar page. At the end of the year, put them together and make enough copies for each girl in your group to have her own calendar. Good end-of-the-year gift.

Water Bottles
Essentially a cute consolidated care package. Each girl uses a new water bottle (Nalgene, or some other sturdy bottle, preferably on the wide side, instead of super narrow) and fills it with loose change. Once full, use the money to buy small care package items, and fill bottle. Collect and send to needy kids somewhere. Or even to MKs.

Flip Flops
Buy simple flip flops of different sizes, as well as various small decorations, and glue to attach them. Possibly even Sharpies. Each girl decorates a pair. Collect and send to needy kids somewhere. Or even to MKs.

Dresses Out of Pillowcases
Make simple dresses out of pillow cases to send to children in Africa. Instructions and information available through Little Dresses for Africa (see organizations contact section).

Put Together Bible Portions
This is especially good as a long-term set-up if there is a church in your area that is willing to fund/facilitate it. Also, better for groups with mostly older girls. Collate and staple Bible portions that will go to people in India, South America, or our military. Done through Bearing Precious Seed ministries. Will require commitment, preparation, and lots of hard work.

Threads of Hope drive
Have a bunch of Threads of Hope bracelets available for your girls to buy any time, to help support the freedom and dignity of girls and women in the Philippines. Maybe some other projects using these bracelets.

Sew Parachutes for Sending Bibles into North Korea & Other Places
Contact Open Doors & VOM for more information.

Missions Organizations
Bearing Precious Seed Ministries
http://www.bpsseedline.org/

Compassion International
http://www.compassion.com/default.htm
https://www.compassion.com/change/default.htm?referer=134089

Little Dresses for Africa
http://www.littledressesforafrica.org/blog/

Frontlines Missions
http://www.frontlinemissions.info/

Gospel for Asia
http://www.gfa.org/

Open Doors International
https://www.opendoorsusa.org/

Operation Christmas Child
http://www.samaritanspurse.org/what-we-do/operation-christmas-child/

Threads of Hope
http://www.threadsofhope.com.ph/
http://www.threadsofhope.com.ph/fundraiser.htm

Voice of the Martyrs
http://www.persecution.com/
http://www.kidsofcourage.com/
http://www.biblesunbound.com/qry/mc_home.taf

For His Glory,

Edited by clueliss
took out a name

On 3/5/2016 at 6:56 AM, Mary C Doates said:

Our local Jehovah's Witnesses use phone calls to recruit--cheaper than printing tracts, I guess. So much easier to block their calls instead of having to shut the door on them :P

The JWs have a display set up at our local transit center. We call them the fair-weather missionaries because they are only there to testify when the weather is nice.

• Upvote 3

On 3/5/2016 at 2:56 PM, kpmom said:

They set the ebil Catholics straight on works vrs faith on page 2. "We cannot earn heaven...."

Edited by Johanna25

I'm against St. Patrick (he tried wiping out anyone who didn't believe in his religion, similar to Hitler, only St. Patrick is celebrated for succeeding), but how would going to a church event do anything but make those people dig their heels in more?

I'm so pumped for the St. Patrick's Day Parade and post-parade activities.  Hoping for a Mally encounter before I head off to the bars.

• Upvote 2

On 3/5/2016 at 9:22 AM, Peas n carrots said:

I'm an Atheist and I even find going to a RCC fish fry and giving out tracts tacky behavior. I'm sure the Mally's wouldn't appreciate someone handing them The RCC catechism while at a religious function. Damn these people just have no respect - if anything they probably are only making the fish fry attendees double down on their own faith.

My JW's hang out at train stations with a shelf of pamphlets. They don't try to engage anyone unless someone engages them first - which always seems to be crazy people.

I would love it if you got a tract and put it up on FJ for all to snark on!

Did you see the movie "Spotlight?" When the new Jewish editor of the Boston Globe is invited to tea with Cardinal Law, Law gives him a wrapped package. It turns out to be a copy of the Catholic Catechism. I was raised in the RCC, but I can't imagine any of my relatives, or even the clergy I knew best, doing anything that tacky. Of course, Law is guilty of far worse than tackiness.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

okay gang, it's time for the April Newsletter!  (see Real Life Fundie Encounters for the phone call earlier today).

Dear Friends,

A Desperate Mother        (By Harold and Grace Mally)
A few days ago, a lady came into our bookstore, distraught about her 24-year-old daughter who had "lost her faith" after attending a secular university. Her daughter now claims atheism.
"I feel that it is my responsibility as a mother to help her," she said in desperation, "but I just don't know what to do!"
Nickie and Grace talked with her for a while and were quite surprised at how naïve this mom was about what her daughter had learned in public school. She told them, "At the last high school ‘parent-teacher’ conference, I asked my daughter's science teacher, 'You didn't teach my daughter evolution and undermine her Christian ideas, did you?'" She said the science teacher assured her, "Your daughter will still have her faith."
"Did you look at the science textbooks your daughter was using?" Grace asked her.
She hadn't.
Grace and Nickie shared some examples of the way evolutionary and anti-God ideas have penetrated our education system. They stressed to her the real issue: "Can we trust God's Word?"

They explained that if students embrace evolution and reject Genesis, they will most likely reject the rest of the Bible too—including Jesus' death on the cross. This seemed to be a new thought for her, but she agreed that this was her daughter's problem: lack of answers to her questions. She also acknowledged that her daughter's questions had started long before she arrived at college.

"Is there any hope?" the desperate mother asked.
"Well, yes, of course there is!" Grace explained. "That's what this whole side of the bookstore is about—giving ANSWERS for why we can trust the Bible.”
"Have you ever seen an atheist turn around?" she asked.
"Yes! Some of the authors who wrote these books used to be atheists!"

Grace shared the example of dinosaurs, and how they are proof for a young earth, as the Bible teaches. They were the dragons that men hundreds of years ago wrote about and drew pictures of.  She gave her a few quick details.
"My daughter LOVED dinosaurs," this lady commented, "but I couldn't answer her questions about them."
Nickie and Grace handed this lady Already Gone and Ready to Return by Ken Ham—books which describe her daughter’s situation to a T.

This encounter reminded us of the devastation that can occur when parents don't know what their children are learning and thinking. Many have no idea what their kids are hearing from school, social media, friends, even from neighbors. The solution isn't for parents to keep their kids from hearing wrong ideas, nor is it merely to tell their kids that answers exist. The solution is for parents themselves to prepare their kids for combat.  Parents need to know the answers to at least the basic attacks and be engaged in the battle. This is easily doable. There are great resources to help parents know the most common arguments, the Biblical answers, and some basic science. In fact, it is a great bonding time and strengthening exercise to learn these answers together as a family. You will have memorable discussions, and you'll establish a firm commitment to the truth of God's Word. It takes work and time, but in our generation the Word of God is under ferocious attack. We need parents and young people who will prepare themselves to be ready to give an answer to everyone who asks of the hope within them.

Please understand that it is important for young people to realize that there is a battle raging. There is an enemy, and he is strategic and deceptive. Parents need to help their young people identify lies and replace them with truth. When young people clearly see the destructive attacks of the enemy and the truth of God's Word, they will realize that they need to get in the battle.  When they are well grounded in the truth of Scripture, they are planting their feet upon an unshakeable foundation that will not only resist even the most powerful attacks of the enemy, but will pull down his strongholds and take them captive for Christ.

"... casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ" (2 Corinthians 10:3-5).

Prayer Requests 

Praise: Sarah had a wonderful trip to Cle Elum, Washington, April 1-3 for the “Speaking Truth in Your Heart” camp. We’re grateful to {name removed} her family for hosting this event, and for all the encouraging feedback Sarah heard from the girls and moms after the sessions. Praise God! You can see a report here. We are planning more “Speaking Truth in Your Heart” events this year. If you would like to host one in your area, please let us know.

Please pray for the Lord to work in a mighty way at the Bright Lights conferences in St Louis, June 20-24.

Pray for the other speaking opportunities that Sarah and Grace will be engaged in this summer (see schedule below). Our desire is to see the hearts of young ladies turned in a powerful way to Jesus Christ—that they would seek Him passionately. 

News at the Bright Lights Office (also known to locals as Noah’s Archive Christian Bookstore :-))

Sarah and Grace put together a 2-minute promo video about the Bright Lights Conferences in St Louis this June. Watch the video and see more info here. If you live near St Louis and would like flyers to share or our “informational email” to forward, please ask!

Grace has been continuing to look for ways to encourage young people in witnessing. She has produced some short video clips with tips.  You can watch her video on using a resurrection questionnaire here. 

About thirty friends joined us to pass out tracts at our local St Patrick’s parade last month. The Lord also blessed us with many opportunities to share the gospel one-on-one with people. It was a very special afternoon. Grace wrote a brief report here.

Upcoming Schedule
June 20-21 Strong in the Lord Conference, Shiloh, IL (near St Louis)
June 23-24 Radiant Purity Conference, Shiloh, IL (near St Louis)

July 17-22 Kansas Bible Camp, Hutchinson, KS (Grace is speaking at the girls’ high school camp)
July 24-30 Story Book Lodge Christian Camp, Biwabik, Minnesota (Sarah is speaking at the girls’ camp)

Please note: additional “Speaking The Truth” Conferences are being planned. Potential 2016 locations: Dallas, TX, Wichita, KS, Cedar Rapids, IA, Minneapolis, MN, Cincinnati, OH and others.  

Online Resource of the Month:
Dinosaurs and the Bible by Brian Thomas — free with any purchase

The topic of dinosaurs is one that the world likes to use to attack the biblical account of creation. However, all the evidence about dinosaurs actually supports the Bible and the creation account! It is important for your children to be equipped in this area, as demonstrated in the story above of the desperate mother.

This is an excellent 60-page booklet. It examines fascinating facts regarding dinosaurs and the Bible. It discusses topics such as when and where dinosaurs lived, the creation of dinosaurs, other extinct reptiles, dinosaurs in the fall and the flood, dinosaurs through the ice age, dinosaur extinction, how to examine evidence, fossil graveyards, dinosaur tracks, fossil “feathers,” biblical names of dinosaurs, and other topics.

This booklet is free with any purchase from our online store. Please note: to receive the free booklet, you must add it to your cart. This offer will be honored on our online store through May 31st. At checkout, use promo code: dino2016

The Mally Family and Bright Lights Staff, 

Edited by clueliss
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy!  An email from Grace!

Dear Friends,

If you live near St. Louis, or have friends in that area, we would appreciate help in spreading the word about these upcoming conferences.

We would also really appreciate prayer for the Lord to work in many young ladies lives! Thank you!

God bless,
Grace 

We are excited to announce that Bright Lights Conferences have been scheduled in the St. Louis area this summer. Taught by Sarah Mally and the Bright Lights staff, these conferences are designed to encourage young ladies to be strong for the Lord in their youth and shine radiantly as bright lights for Him!

Click here to watch a 2-minute video announcing the conferences.

Strong in the Lord Conference 
Topics:

How to be Strong for the Lord in Your Youth

Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends

Developing a Love for God’s Word

How to Turn Your Heart to Your Parents

How to Be a Bright Light in the World

Avoiding Wrong Influences

Deepening Your Walk with Jesus Christ

How to Boldly Share the Gospel

Includes small group times, humorous skits, testimonies from girls, hands-on activities, a chalk talk, harp music, singing, and practical, Biblical teaching that will challenge and prepare young ladies to remain strong for the Lord through their teen years.

Parents are encouraged to attend the conference in order to hear what their daughters are learning and reinforce it at home. While the girls are meeting in small groups, sessions taught by Harold and Rebekah Mally will be offered for fathers and mothers. Sessions will cover topics such as the importance of protecting your children, how fathers can set a godly pace for their family, how to win the hearts of your daughters, and building strong mother/daughter relationships.

Click here for more information or to download a flyer.
Click here to see a 2 minute video clip of Sarah Mally teaching at a Strong in the Lord Conference.
Click here for information about how you can help spread the word on social media.

Schedule: Monday evening from 6:00 - 9:00 PM; Tuesday from 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Dates: 
June 20 & 21, 2016  

775 North Green Mount Road
Shiloh, IL 62221

Registration $15 per girl / $10 per parent / $50 per family
Late registration (after June 6th) $18 per girl / $12 per parent / $60 per family

To Register:
To register online, click here.
Visit the Bright Lights website to learn more about the conferences.
For questions, feel free to e-mail the Bright Lights staff at conference@brightlightsministry.com  

Radiant Purity Conference
Topics:

Waiting for God’s Best

Building Strong Relationships With Parents

Avoiding the Dangers of the World’s Thinking

How to Delight in Jesus, Our Heavenly Prince

Using Your Years of Singleness for God

What the Lord Says About Modesty

How to Guard Your Heart When You Have a Crush

Living for God’s Awesome Calling: Evangelism and Discipleship

Using Social Media for God’s Glory

A young lady who is pure and walking closely with Jesus shines with a radiant brightness in this world of darkness. How can a young lady stay physically and emotionally pure as she waits for God’s best in marriage? How can parents protect and guide? How can hurt lives be restored to radiant purity?

Creatively presented through stories and testimonies, practical instruction, skits, and real-life examples, this conference gives Biblical answers to everyday questions and deep life struggles. The material is discreet and appropriate for twelve year olds, yet relevant to all ages. Includes chalk drawings, harp music, and testimonies from young ladies who serve as Bright Lights staff.

Click here for more information or to download a flyer.
Click here to see a 2 minute video clip of Sarah Mally teaching at a Radiant Purity Conference.
Click here for information about how you can help spread the word on social media.

Fathers and mothers are encouraged to attend. Parents' sessions, taught by Harold and Rebekah Mally, will include: Every Mother's Example, Forty Ways to Protect the Hearts of Your Daughters, and Talking to Young Men who Express Interest in Your Daughters.

Schedule: Thursday evening from 6:00 - 9:00 PM; Friday from 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Dates:
June 23-24, 2016

775 North Green Mount Road
Shiloh, IL 62221

Registration $15 per girl / $10 per parent / $50 per family
Late registration (after June 6th) $18 per girl / $12 per parent / $60 per family

To Register:
To register online, click here.
Visit the Bright Lights website to learn more about the conferences.
For questions, feel free to e-mail the Bright Lights staff at conference@brightlightsministry.com  

About Bright Lights
In 1996, Sarah Mally started a discipleship ministry in her living room with the goal of challenging other young ladies to be strong for the Lord in their youth. We have been excited to see how the Lord has allowed Bright Lights to grow, and now there are over 650 Bright Lights groups that have started around the country and internationally. Bright Lights continues to train leaders, host mother / daughter conferences, and provide discipleship materials for young ladies. Sarah Mally is also the author of “Before You Meet Prince Charming,” published in 2006, and co-author of the book “Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends” which she and her brother and sister published in 2002. Her sister, Grace, is the author of “Will Our Generation Speak? A Call to Be Bold With the Gospel.”

Bright Lights
945 7th Ave
Marion, Iowa 52302
319-377-6728

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in posting the latest! Mally/Bright Lights/Tomorrow's Forefather's newsletter.

his email contains graphics, so if you don't see them, view it in your browser.

header
Dear Friends,

Grandpa Gets Stuck!  (By Harold Mally)
A few days ago our Grandpa arrived at the Bright Lights office a little earlier than everyone else.  As he got out of the car, he accidently hit the trunk button and it popped open.  He didn’t know that he was about to find himself in a self-inflicted trap.  When he closed the trunk with his left hand, he closed it on his right thumb, and it was “stuck” – and smashed – and he couldn’t pull it out.  But it gets worse.  He couldn’t open the trunk.  His key was now in his right pocket and he couldn’t reach it with his left hand.  None of us had yet arrived and no one else seemed to be around. 

And then it got still worse.  He did manage, after several minutes, to fish the key out of his opposite pocket, but when he pushed the trunk button, the trunk wouldn’t open.  Apparently, the presence of his thumb made the trunk lid too tight to release.  So what does one do: push down on the trunk (and your thumb)? :-(  Somehow, after about 5 minutes he got the trunk open, his thumb out, and had freedom at last.  But not without blood, pain, bandages and some nursing help from Grace who arrived a couple of minutes later.

What a way to start the day!  Grandpa said he felt like a raccoon caught in a trap. Thankfully, it was brief, it wasn’t too serious, and now he is recovering pretty well.  We are thankful for Grandpa who, though he will turn 90 this summer, still comes to the Bright Lights office almost every morning to help organize materials, pack orders, and do any other job we might have for him.  

The episode makes me think, though, of so many other people, families, and marriages who are also stuck in traps—traps much more serious. They are moral, spiritual, relational or financial traps. 

Avoiding Traps
It is possible to escape traps, but it’s much better to never get into them in the first place.  How do we avoid them?  In Exodus 34:10-14 God tells Moses that He is going to do marvels with Israel such as has not been done in all the earth and all the people shall see the work of the Lord.  But then He gives a warning: “Take heed to thyself lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land wither thou goest, lest it be for a snare (A TRAP) in the midst of thee: But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves: For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.”

How do we apply this verse in twenty-first century America? Many people, families, and churches have unconsciously and slowly partnered with our secular culture. They have sought the same goals as our culture and enjoyed the compromising entertainment of the world, not being aware of the trap into which they are walking. Even as Christian families, we may have “altars” to break down in our lives or homes. We must cleanse our homes from that which is impure or from anything that is not pleasing to the Lord. If we compromise with the world, we will begin to get used to evil, lose our sensitivity, and find it easy to justify that which is not godly.

Psalm 1:1-2 gives us an important insight about avoiding traps. “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel (teaching) of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path (influence) of sinners, Nor sits in the seat (participant) of the scornful;  But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night.” 

Escaping from Traps
What if we are already trapped? Many who are trapped by sin, bitterness, or an addiction feel that there is no way out. But the Lord offers us deliverance. When we are willing to come to God and confess our sin, not hiding it, but humbly and honestly confessing it, He offers forgiveness and victory. In the following two passages there are eleven Biblical tools for escaping spiritual traps.  Underline them and pray about each one in your life and family.

Hebrews 12:1-2, “Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.  Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame . . .” 

James 4:6-10, “‘God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.’ Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.  Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.  Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom.  Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.” 

News and Announcements

• We are excited to announce our first Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference. Sarah has presented this material at camps, but this is the first time it is being presented at a Bright Lights conference. Many girls try to change their wrong actions, but never learn to discern the wrong thinking behind the actions. As girls replace lies with the truth, they will see how God’s Word will transform each area of their lives as the truth sets them free. This conference will challenge girls to identify lies which are the root issues behind struggles they face and to be well grounded in the Word of God. It discusses topics such as a girl’s emotions, purity, who God is, and a proper view of who we are in light of the truth of Scripture. When a young lady learns to “speak truth to herself,” she is building her life upon an unshakable foundation that will resist even the most powerful attacks of the enemy. 

• We’re delighted to announce a Creation Evangelism Training Camp that our family will be running in Des Moines, August 15-19, 2016, together with Tony Ramsek from Answers in Genesis. This will be an intensive, 4-day / 4-night camp consisting of training sessions in the morning and opportunity to practice what is learned in the afternoon and evening as we witness together at the Iowa State Fair. We will be helping the Answers in Genesis Gospel Outreach booth at the Iowa State Fair. See more details onflyer here. For ages 16+. Parents are also encouraged to come. Registration will be opening soon on our online store.

• We have scheduled a Witnessing Workshop for August 5-6th in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. This workshop will provide Biblical encouragement and practical ideas that will help you to begin witnessing conversations with boldness and love. It will also help you learn to think biblically about evangelism, defend the reliability of Scripture, understand Scriptural keys to boldness, discuss Creation Science even if you’re not a scientist, and develop a family ministry. Attendees also are encouraged to put into practice what they learned by volunteering at the Answers in Genesis Gospel Outreach to the Iowa State Fair the following week. Registration will be opening soon on our online store.

Prayer Requests 

• We would really appreciated prayer for the upcoming Bright Lights conferences in June. There is a “Speak Truth in Your Heart” conference in Dallas, Texas, and a “Strong in the Lord” and “Radiant Purity” conference in St. Louis. Please pray that the Lord would prepare hearts and bring exactly who should be there! Pray that these girls would not just be “hearers” of the Word, but “doers” of it. Pray that they would be zealous in seeking and serving the Lord, and willing to stand alone and follow Jesus Christ in this dark world! We are also praying for more Bright Lights groups to start this year.  

Online Resource of the Month
Captivated DVD — 40% off 

One of the traps ensnaring many families and young people today is technology. Captivated clearly explains many of these dangers, demonstrating how families are often unknowingly hindered, distracted and even addicted to media. Captivated gives biblical teaching to address the unique media challenges we face today, and provides insightful answers from media experts, church leaders, and individuals and families across the country. It is a great DVD for whole families to watch together. It’s a very helpful tool to promote discussion on how your family can avoid the traps, by God’s grace, that many others are falling into and use media for the glory of God.

The 40% off promo code can be used for the Captivated DVD and Captivated Study Guide. This offer will be honored on our online store through June 30th. At checkout, use promo code: cap2016. Limit 2 each per family.

Upcoming Schedule
June 3 Mother/Daughter Evening (Wichita, KS) 
June 7-8 Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference (Dallas, TX) 

June 20-21 Strong in the Lord Conference, Shiloh, IL (near St Louis)
June 23-24 Radiant Purity Conference, Shiloh, IL (near St Louis)

July 17-22 Kansas Bible Camp, Hutchinson, KS (Grace is speaking at the girls’ high school camp)
July 24-30 Story Book Lodge Christian Camp, Biwabik, Minnesota (Sarah is speaking at the girls’ camp)

August 5-6 Witnessing Workshop (Cedar Rapids, IA)
August 15-19 Creation Evangelism Training Camp (Des Moines, IA)

The Mally Family and Bright Lights Staff, 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting these newsletters. The Mallys and Sarah's book are kind of fascinating. Clearly their methods are failing by Fundy standards since Sarah, who is an EXPERT, on Fundy courtship and singlehood remains single and childless. It makes so little sense as to how her book is still purchased and read by Duggars and similar. 

• Upvote 2