IGNORED

How to plan holiday meals, Teri Maxwell style

mango_fandango

I am really surprised at how little protein, particularly meat-based protein, is in their diet.

It's so weird to me that a religious family doesn't even have a pot roast on Sundays. Maybe it's a Catholic thing, but the families I knew growing up who went to church and spent the day together had a bigger, fancier meal on Sundays to mark the day as special. 

Has Steve written before about abstaining or limiting consumption of animal flesh? I wonder if he considers it too indulgent for Christians. 

Eating is too indulgent for Maxwells

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been noted before that Stevie felt he had put on weight, thus ALL of them get smaller portions. 

Hovever in recent pics of Stud John, he seems to be getting a larger waist line.... What's he been getting up to on his travels Stevie?

Maybe he is like Josh.  Having been forced to eat very sparingly throughout his childhood, he is now tasting the delights of freedom-- including In-N-Out burgers, Taco Bell, and  Kentucky Fried Chicken (which he may never have had before if they never eat chicken.) Hopefully he won't blow up like Josh.

If Terri is so allergic that cross contamination is a problem, I can see not keeping turkey or chicken In the house, but eating it when they go out. Might be easier than risking Terri having a reaction. So I can maybe give them a pass on it....

As far as other proteins, do they follow Leviticus 11? If so that eliminates pork but still leaves beef and venison.

As far as other proteins, do they follow Leviticus 11? If so that eliminates pork but still leaves beef and venison.

I know they all shared a lobster roll (one bite each) when they were in New England a couple years ago.

I agree. I live in the Southwest and love Mexican food. I like to try it on road trips because I enjoy tasting the regional variations. The worst Mexican food I have eaten was in Wichita. The enchilada sauce was merely pureed tomatoes and salt, no other seasoning. The cheese? Velveeta. Now, Velveeta can make a tasty hot dip when mixed with other ingredients, but as a topping for burros and enchiladas it doesn't work well. I'm not saying all Kansas Mexican restaurants are the same, but I'd be leery of trying any others because of my experience. It could have just been a bad restaurant, though, and not indicative of local tastes.

Do you remember the name? I'm just curious if its one I like or not and how stunted my taste buds are (which I already know is a lot). :pb_lol:

It took me awhile to realize that "Resurrection Sunday"=Easter.  Guess they don't use Easter because.....pagan holiday origins?

We cook pretty much the same thing....but in our house, Thanksgiving is all about the leftovers.  One can never have too much stuffing.  Favorite sandwich is bread (preferably marble rye) with mayo, then cranberry sauce (must mix with mayo), turkey, a bit of course salt, cheddar cheese, and vegetables (even lettuce) for those who like them.  Stuffing in the sandiwch is optional as well.

This Thanksgiving I'm going to make up a plate of deviled eggs, in honor of Steve & Teri.  Maybe I'll put six eggs on three different plates so it can be 666. 

Do you remember the name? I'm just curious if its one I like or not and how stunted my taste buds are (which I already know is a lot). :pb_lol:

No, I'm sorry. We visited back in 1995 while visiting my cousins. I do remember the restaurant was known for putting huge chunks of beef in its dishes. I had thought it would just be in large cubes, but the meat really was in huge pieces. That part of the meal was OK, actually. 

I'm sure your taste buds are just fine. :pb_smile:    I'm probably the problem--my taste buds are most likely blown from eating too many spicy dishes! 

One can never have too much stuffing.  

This Thanksgiving I'm going to make up a plate of deviled eggs, in honor of Steve & Teri.  Maybe I'll put six eggs on three different plates so it can be 666. 

Long live stuffing!  I completely agree.

And I love your deviled egg plans.  May they have plenty of mustard and paprika, to encourage liveliness upon the tastebuds and perhaps even the soul...all three different plates of them!  :pb_evil: 

(the emoticon I really want is under the "do not use" list, so please imagine a smiley evil devil.  I love to break rules, but I still want to play freely here, and not be stuck in the Prayer Closet.  Compromise is a sign of middle age, right?)

(the emoticon I really want is under the "do not use" list, so please imagine a smiley evil devil.  I love to break rules, but I still want to play freely here, and not be stuck in the Prayer Closet.  Compromise is a sign of middle age, right?)

As far as I know, it's OK to use all the emoticons that are shown.  Someone asked why some were labelled "do not use" and IIRC the answer was simply "because we have better ones now" but it was still ok to use the old ones if one wanted.

I've continued to use them because I don't see new ones that express the specific things I'm looking for -- and I'm aware that the subtleties might be all in my mind -- to everyone else, a laughing smiley might be a laughing smiley, and it's only me who thinks "but this one is more of a silly giggle and that one is more of a guffaw and this other one is just a goofy grin...  

:my_rolleyes: :pb_rollseyes: <--- see what I mean?  that first one just doesn't have the same 'tude as the second one -- the sarcasm just isn't there (yet)!

And while I was looking I found this gem -- my new favorite!   :tw_mask:

As far as I know, it's OK to use all the emoticons that are shown.  Someone asked why some were labelled "do not use" and IIRC the answer was simply "because we have better ones now" but it was still ok to use the old ones if one wanted.

I've continued to use them because I don't see new ones that express the specific things I'm looking for -- and I'm aware that the subtleties might be all in my mind -- to everyone else, a laughing smiley might be a laughing smiley, and it's only me who thinks "but this one is more of a silly giggle and that one is more of a guffaw and this other one is just a goofy grin...  

:my_rolleyes: :pb_rollseyes: <--- see what I mean?  that first one just doesn't have the same 'tude as the second one -- the sarcasm just isn't there (yet)!

Is it?? I thought I'd read somewhere that they might show up wonky, but I tend to read FJ as I...uh...multitask, so I might be some missing pertinent information. 

I completely agree that emoticons have slightly varying shades of emotion expressed, but that can be very important!  For example, my devil above looks pretty evil -- what I wanted was a slightly more fun-loving depiction of evil :twisted: <--- like that dude (watch me break those emoticon rules!!  I used one of the "do not use" ones! If I'm successful, look for the hipster geek in the future :) ), though I suppose he still looks evil.  The weird smile gives him a different affect, though, to my eyes. 

I also completely agree with your rolling eyes emoticon v. ol' smiley face there.  I've been using Sr. Rolling Eyes for quite awhile, and he conveys what I'd like to convey, much more effectively than his companion there, who seems to be in some pharmaceutically-enhanced  state of bliss. HUGE difference in what I'm personally trying to convey, and also probably what others are after.  

Love the Hannibal-emoticon, though.  Probably should have made use of him in the  Stugeon Splooge  Spurgeon thread.  

the ones that are labeled do not use are also categorized elsewhere, they just needed to stay in the unorganized state from the old site as to not break old migrated posts.

You can use them.  The is also an FAQ about this.  When you guys have questions like this check the FAQ to get an answer faster as most stuff is covered.  

You can use them.

I haven't read the original post by Teri and I haven't finished the comments so this may have been mentioned already.

If they are using the lettuce for wraps instead of buns, why are they using iceberg lettuce and not leaf lettuce?   Leaf lettuce works way better for wraps, IMO and it can also be used on hamburgers as a condiment if people want lettuce on their burgers.

Maybe leaf lettuce is too fancy for the pious Maxwells.

I work at a popular sandwich shop. We make lettuce wraps, and we use iceberg lettuce with no problems. I'd love to figure out how to use romaine for stuff I make at home....

I haven't read the original post by Teri and I haven't finished the comments so this may have been mentioned already.

If they are using the lettuce for wraps instead of buns, why are they using iceberg lettuce and not leaf lettuce?   Leaf lettuce works way better for wraps, IMO and it can also be used on hamburgers as a condiment if people want lettuce on their burgers.

Maybe leaf lettuce is too fancy for the pious Maxwells.

Maybe they think interpret believe iceberg lettuce is in the bible?  

Plus it reminds them of the Titanic.  Oh wait, this isn't Dougie we're talking about.

Archived