IGNORED

Upcoming Babies Part 4

The Mortons have had quite a lot of home enterprises. Papa Morton was a notary, a farmer, a builder/construction worker, mechanic, and tried (unsuccessfully) to run for local council about 8 years ago. The farm was enormously successful for them when the kids were still young. There was an old news article floating around that mentioned the family's annual charitable food donations, and it was significant. 

While living in Georgia, they hunted for most of their meat, grew most of their vegetables, built homes for themselves and others, and remodeled fixer-uppers for their children to live in. None of the kids attended college, none purchased new cars or new homes when they married, and other than Lise and Cleve, none of the children or in-laws have made a habit of hospital births. They don't typically travel much, they purchase used clothing, and they proudly live "off-grid" as much as possible. Given all of the above, it's not terribly difficult to see how they have managed to live well without a great deal of money. Having children can be expensive, but if you're avoiding school, vaccines, and retail prices in the name of Jesus, PLUS making/growing/fixing pretty much everything you need on your own, the kids become a negligible cost up-front. Later, they are a free source of labor.

So long as you can keep ebil thoughts about leaving the compound or wanting something different out of their little heads, it's a pretty sweet system.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, ophelia said:

I totally agree with you. Even worse - none of the Morton kids really seem to be willing to leave the fold. With the Wissmanns and other families you could see that some of the kids left the QF-road. The probably stayed uber-christian, but weren't still a part of the ultrafundamental movement they were raised in. I don't see that happen with any of the Morton kids. They are too sheltered and their parents did a great job in keeping them as ignorant to the outside world as possible.

Capt Sanders had bragged at Kressant's wedding about how secluded he kept her from unwanted influences, even within their own church! :my_dodgy:

13 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

The Mortons have had quite a lot of home enterprises. Papa Morton was a notary, a farmer, a builder/construction worker, mechanic, and tried (unsuccessfully) to run for local council about 8 years ago. The farm was enormously successful for them when the kids were still young. There was an old news article floating around that mentioned the family's annual charitable food donations, and it was significant. 

While living in Georgia, they hunted for most of their meat, grew most of their vegetables, built homes for themselves and others, and remodeled fixer-uppers for their children to live in. None of the kids attended college, none purchased new cars or new homes when they married, and other than Lise and Cleve, none of the children or in-laws have made a habit of hospital births. They don't typically travel much, they purchase used clothing, and they proudly live "off-grid" as much as possible. Given all of the above, it's not terribly difficult to see how they have managed to live well without a great deal of money. Having children can be expensive, but if you're avoiding school, vaccines, and retail prices in the name of Jesus, PLUS making/growing/fixing pretty much everything you need on your own, the kids become a negligible cost up-front. Later, they are a free source of labor.

So long as you can keep ebil thoughts about leaving the compound or wanting something different out of their little heads, it's a pretty sweet system.

Wow. I didn't know that! Thank you for all that information.

As I said before - the Mortons are a REALLY succesfull fundie family. But still their system is so fragile. I believe construction work to be quite dangerous at times. So what happens if any of the young fathers fell of a rooftop or what ever horrible accident may occur to you on a construction site. They would never be able to pay the hospitality bills. And in a worst case scenario where a husband/father might die or stay in need of care for the rest of his life, the sweet system will fall into pieces. Although the family seems really close and would help each other out there is still a LOT of mouths to feed.

On February 13, 2016 at 2:04 AM, ophelia said:

Wow. I didn't know that! Thank you for all that information.

As I said before - the Mortons are a REALLY succesfull fundie family. But still their system is so fragile. I believe construction work to be quite dangerous at times. So what happens if any of the young fathers fell of a rooftop or what ever horrible accident may occur to you on a construction site. They would never be able to pay the hospitality bills. And in a worst case scenario where a husband/father might die or stay in need of care for the rest of his life, the sweet system will fall into pieces. Although the family seems really close and would help each other out there is still a LOT of mouths to feed.

This raises an interesting point - what happens to Fundie families that lose a parent? How do they function? It must have happened to at least a few families; does fj follow any one parent households?

1 hour ago, picklepizzas said:

This raises an interesting point - what happens to Fundie families that lose a parent? How do they function? It must have happened to at least a few families; does fj follow any one parent households?

Debbie Query raised four kids as a widow. The Duggars seem to have helped the Querys out over the years, and she recently became a lay midwife. None of the kids is married yet, and they're ages 20-31.

In fundie-jewish world u get married asap to another widow(er) with kids .wich i don't think is such a bad system if there's genuinly  mutual warm feelings involved.  I am also very curious if they are pushed to marry again asap in christian fundy world? 

Lauren and Tait Zimmerman are expecting number 5....There will be quite a gap between 4 and 5 but as we all know she has had complications with almost every pregnancy and of course begged for money to pay for the first one while refusing Medicaid. These two annoy me so much for some reason, have no idea why:)

1 hour ago, teachergirl said:

Lauren and Tait Zimmerman are expecting number 5....There will be quite a gap between 4 and 5 but as we all know she has had complications with almost every pregnancy and of course begged for money to pay for the first one while refusing Medicaid. These two annoy me so much for some reason, have no idea why:)

Oh god, seriously? I figured they were done because of the time lapse after the fourth. I think part of why they irritate me is that they're from Sarah Palin country (as well as the self righteous, anti Medicaid grifting for funds).

Of course they are not, children are "blessings" don't you know and anyone who does not outbreed the heathens is selfish.  She had been posting a bunch lately about children and hinting around about it so I figured it was only a  matter of time. Yet another family who was so well prepared from homeschooling they went and forged a path on their own, I mean work for daddy's business.

On 2/12/2016 at 6:56 AM, ophelia said:

I totally agree with you. Even worse - none of the Morton kids really seem to be willing to leave the fold. With the Wissmanns and other families you could see that some of the kids left the QF-road. The probably stayed uber-christian, but weren't still a part of the ultrafundamental movement they were raised in. I don't see that happen with any of the Morton kids. They are too sheltered and their parents did a great job in keeping them as ignorant to the outside world as possible.

Cleve and Lise briefly lived in Texas a couple of years ago. It was never explained why they left, but it made me wonder if Cleve was trying to put some distance between himself and his family. It is possible it was just an out-of-state construction project. Sadly the couple moved back to Georgia.

2 hours ago, Iamhispurity said:

Erin (Bates) Paine is expecting her second. 

Noooo... that makes me sad, I hoped they would wait a bit longer..

2 hours ago, Dutch_girl said:

Noooo... that makes me sad, I hoped they would wait a bit longer..

Me too. Really wish they'd have waited at least a year. I only see a general summer due date, does anyone have anything more exact? 

Aaron and Mallory Courter had their second ( a girl) very recently.  The Courters are in with the Botkin/Vernier/Stouffer/Bowman/Verrett clan who took up in TN to dress up in 1940's clothing and pretend only men fought in WW II.

Karen and Seth Alexander (Morton in-laws) had number eight, Benjamin Seth, on Feb 1. Zandry now has an uncle who is younger than her.

I don't know if it was posted somewhere already, but according to their blog the Pecans are preggo.. Found out on valentines day and just now announced after telling family first.. Way to go... 

4 hours ago, Nerthe said:

I don't know if it was posted somewhere already, but according to their blog the Pecans are preggo.. Found out on valentines day and just now announced after telling family first.. Way to go... 

Wow. A lot of people have suggested that Priss may be pregnant, but to my knowledge, this is the first confirmation! Baby due in October.

I actually thought she was pregnant late last year (no reason, just a hunch) so I guess I was wrong. Totally unsurprised that she's pregnant now, though. Kind of getting a kick out of this after all the suggestions on the Pecan thread that they named their daughter Davia because David hates sweet fellowship and figured he wouldn't be producing any more babies, haha.

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I actually thought she was pregnant late last year (no reason, just a hunch) so I guess I was wrong. Totally unsurprised that she's pregnant now, though. Kind of getting a kick out of this after all the suggestions on the Pecan thread that they named their daughter Davia because David hates sweet fellowship and figured he wouldn't be producing any more babies, haha.

More important than loving fellowship is towing the line, for both the women and men. 

Congrats to them, because building a mega family is the goal. Sincerely wishing for a safe/smooth pregnancy. 

About time for a new little thief to be born. This one will be born nearly 2 years after Davia. I think I'll be surprised if they hit 10 kids if they keep going like this. 

Someone probably got to him and reminded him that he needed to do his part in forging arrows for christ so get on the ball, and lay back, and think of Camelot (as it were...). :pb_razz:

• SpoonfulOSugar locked and unpinned this topic

Archived