IGNORED

Honey Boo Boo back on TV?

iweartanktops

I don't think there is a deal-breaker anymore.  Tabloid Lovers Channel loves this stuff.

Way back in 1961 then FCC chairman Newton N. Minow called TV a "vast wasteland."  And what was on back then is tame compared to what they have today.  It certainly hasn't improved in the past 54 years since he said that, what with Trashy Lowbrow Crap and others are flooding the airwaves with. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't watch the show much, but I did like it more than I expected to. I think it was because it was a change from seeing overly sanitized versions of people's lives.  It's not that I liked all the farting and burping, and seriously bad food etc. ,just that that aspect of it was closer to how lots of people  live than you usually see on TV.  They also gave the impression that they might actually love each other.  There was a lot of good natured fun between the kids, even if it did often lead to some seriously stereotypical white trash behavior, and they all seemed pretty good at accepting each other for who they were. 

I did think that Mama June was just milking the network for whatever she could get, but I figured that was fair, since the network was exploiting them too.  

In the end I just feel sorry for them, even June. I think it is sad that she is so fucked up that she would date a molester and endanger her children that way.  I think it is even sadder that her children are stuck with her for a mother. She may have some good points, but that particular lapse of judgement trumps makes the good parts meaningless.

Don't want to see them again. Too much like sweeping it all under the rug for a buck instead of trying to get them some help. 

Not that I defend what June did, but I cant blame her one bit for being upset with TLC for canceling the show and dragging their feet with the DUggars. What parent would defend and ignore anyone who did that , and the fact the Duggars have a daddy and mother around and the fact they choose their son over the daughters makes them no different than the Thompsons. They are perhaps worse for it. I think parents in both families didnt want to face the music. As far as food goes, the DUggars fare no better. They post junk food pics all the time.

As far as I am concerned, Mama June is as despicable a human being and parent as JB or Michelle Duggar.  She is all about exploiting her children for money, and she let her daughters be exposed to a predator that she wanted to date.

Am I supposed to give her credit or sympathize with her because she isn't a religious Fundementalist?  Screw that. 

Remember the good old days when parents used to get real jobs to support their families? It's the modern way to sit back and let cameras follow the children for a paycheck. It's gross! TV please stop this horrible trend. 

I had no idea these people existed until now. I sorta wish I hadn't googled it. It seems to be based around laughing at the fact that they are poor and live on unhealthy foods. Why would anyone think this show was a good idea first time round?

Not that TV over here is any better, we have stuff like Benefits Street that pretty much does the same job. This world sucks, can I start a new one?

Sigh, I just doubt that this is true, Sugar Bear is gone, Anna is gone moved out with her own kid at 18. So the show would be what Momma June and Boo-Boo with occasional appearances by her other siblings?? I read somewhere that Pumpkin had moved out as well so that would make it just the two of them living at the house, the show would be pretty short on content I would think, not that it was going to win any awards before but the whole poor rural family vibe would be gone with the majority of the family no longer under the same roof, I mean it is not like they still have 15 other siblings to exploit...

image.thumb.jpeg.7d8c864d889b93403e6fcc9Out of curiosity I just googled recent pictures of the family. I find it extremely sad and frightening the way they have let themselves go. This poor poor child.

I've never liked June, since I first saw her on the loathsome "Toddlers and Tiaras". I did not like the way she treated Alana, in particular. However, I agree with previous commenters, that the people exploiting this family by putting them on television, are worse.

Not that I defend what June did, but I cant blame her one bit for being upset with TLC for canceling the show and dragging their feet with the DUggars. What parent would defend and ignore anyone who did that , and the fact the Duggars have a daddy and mother around and the fact they choose their son over the daughters makes them no different than the Thompsons. They are perhaps worse for it. I think parents in both families didnt want to face the music. As far as food goes, the DUggars fare no better. They post junk food pics all the time.

To me the hypocrisy was based in how after Joshgate 1.0 the Duggars had a lot of defenders because they were "wholesome Christians" (including TLC, given how they dragged their feet in canceling), whereas the Honey Boo Boos were dropped like the proverbial hot potato once the news that June was seeing the child molester broke. This suggests that a lot of people were and probably still are willing to give the Duggars another chance because they are superficially more telegenenic and Jesus-y, whereas June fit all of the "white trash" stereotypes -- had a bunch of kids by different men, criminal record, obese, lived by the train tracks -- and people weren't willing to give her a second change. For the record, I don't think any of these people need or deserve to be on TV. There is no provision in the Constitution that says you have a right to your own TV show, although you would think otherwise the way these people are carrying on. Both of these families need to get some real education, real jobs, and real therapy.

• 1 month later...

Story.

Since we know you like to stay abreast of all the details surrounding Here Comes Honey Boo Boo’s Mama June and Mike “Sugar Bear” Thompson — you know, important things — we feel obliged to share the most recent development.

It turns out Sugar Bear may have cheated on Mama June with other men (and women). We’ll pause to let you fully take in the news. It’s tough when our pillars of familial perfection, however constructed of fantasy they may be, begin to crumble.

During an appearance on Marriage Boot Camp: Reality Stars (yes, that’s a thing), June storms out of the room during a counseling session, claiming Sugar Bear isn’t telling the full truth about his extramarital affairs.

Go without saying I really did not need to know this.

The only people I feel sorry for in this family are the children. I think June is a sly, conniving woman. I don't believe that she cares if Sugar Bear "may have cheated". She was caught going around with a convicted sex offender for goodness sake. Bleurgh.

17 minutes ago, SledCat said:

I don't believe that she cares if Sugar Bear "may have cheated". She was caught going around with a convicted sex offender for goodness sake. Bleurgh.

At first when I saw the thing on Facebook about Sugar Bear cheating I thought it was this character for a few seconds. 

sugarbear.png.fe45e3d71fede16dd60bc7b025

Then I saw it said Mama June in the same sentence and I had that horrible sinking feeling...

25 minutes ago, SledCat said:

The only people I feel sorry for in this family are the children. I think June is a sly, conniving woman. I don't believe that she cares if Sugar Bear "may have cheated". She was caught going around with a convicted sex offender for goodness sake. Bleurgh.

And the sex offender was convicted of committing those crimes against her own daughter no less. I feel terrible that her children have a trash bag for a mother.

She stormed out because he was cheating with men and women yet she was okay dating a sex offender who violated her own child.  That woman is full of shit.

I have never watched Honey Boo Boo but been following a little about the Mama June dating a child molester fiasco. She seems like such a disgusting woman. Those poor kids.

9 hours ago, 47of74 said:

During an appearance on Marriage Boot Camp: Reality Stars (yes, that’s a thing), June storms out of the room during a counseling session, claiming Sugar Bear isn’t telling the full truth about his extramarital affairs.

I accidentally stumbled across this episode and WTF. I thought they were done, and she had taken back up with her child molester ex-boyfriend. Love the tags BTW!

As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Source (probably nsfw):

9 minutes ago, polecat said:

And that's all I have to say about that.

While I agree with your quoted info, I get this nagging feeling that it could have come from something that is pushing eugenics. Not that the quoted portion is, itself incorrect or morally questionable. My husband and I were discussing the other day how great and cost effective it would be if all Walgreens/CVS type places had birth control implants and depo shots available on a walk in basis, no questions asked aside from health-related ones. Hopefully the country is headed in that direction with this new pharmacy having a BC prescription thing *fingers crossed!*. 

Also: I'm trash and I love marriage boot camp reality stars (it's one of my deepest sources of shame, aside from enjoying hostess cupcakes), I laugh every time the head guy has to address "Sugar Bear". He barely attempts to hide the "really? Sugar bear? You're an adult man. I'm an adult man, please don't make me call you that" in his voice and on his face

3 minutes ago, Mrsaztx said:

While I agree with your quoted info, I get this nagging feeling that it could have come from something that is pushing eugenics. Not that the quoted portion is, itself incorrect or morally questionable. My husband and I were discussing the other day how great and cost effective it would be if all Walgreens/CVS type places had birth control implants and depo shots available on a walk in basis, no questions asked aside from health-related ones. Hopefully the country is headed in that direction with this new pharmacy having a BC prescription thing *fingers crossed!*. 

Also: I'm trash and I love marriage boot camp reality stars (it's one of my deepest sources of shame, aside from enjoying hostess cupcakes), I laugh every time the head guy has to address "Sugar Bear". He barely attempts to hide the "really? Sugar bear? You're an adult man. I'm an adult man, please don't make me call you that" in his voice and on his face

Oh my god, no, it's from a snarky satirical film. It is most definitely not anything pro-eugenics. *shiver*

54 minutes ago, polecat said:

Oh my god, no, it's from a snarky satirical film. It is most definitely not anything pro-eugenics. *shiver*

1 hour ago, Mrsaztx said:

Slightly OT, but one of the least anticipated side effects of birth control has been the growth of religious fundamentalism.

In my community, it's gone something like this:

1950:  Average birth rates for Jewish families are pretty similar across the board, from Reform to ultra-Orthodox.  Birth rates are on the increase, because war and concentration camps were the main methods of birth control during the 1940s.

1960s:  The Pill comes along.

Over the next decades, women in the more liberal streams use the Pill.  Birth rates drop, education rates for women increase, age at marriage increases.

Then, there's a conservative backlash against the sexual revolution.  In the more Orthodox and ultra-Orthodox communities, rules on using birth control become stricter, and larger family sizes are pushed.  The birth rate increases.  Those communities are also living in safer surroundings with less risk of being killed or imprisoned, and more economic opportunities and social services.  Therefore, they can have more kids, and most of those kids will live to adulthood.

The demographics shift.  Groups that everyone in the 1950s had expected would die off are suddenly reproducing at breakneck speed, which growth in the more liberal groups drops below replacement levels.  You end up with a growing religious divide, liberal religious institutions that are growing geriatric, and more conservative religious institutions that are bursting at the seams with young children.

18 minutes ago, 2xx1xy1JD said:

Slightly OT, but one of the least anticipated side effects of birth control has been the growth of religious fundamentalism.

In my community, it's gone something like this:

1950:  Average birth rates for Jewish families are pretty similar across the board, from Reform to ultra-Orthodox.  Birth rates are on the increase, because war and concentration camps were the main methods of birth control during the 1940s.

1960s:  The Pill comes along.

Over the next decades, women in the more liberal streams use the Pill.  Birth rates drop, education rates for women increase, age at marriage increases.

Then, there's a conservative backlash against the sexual revolution.  In the more Orthodox and ultra-Orthodox communities, rules on using birth control become stricter, and larger family sizes are pushed.  The birth rate increases.  Those communities are also living in safer surroundings with less risk of being killed or imprisoned, and more economic opportunities and social services.  Therefore, they can have more kids, and most of those kids will live to adulthood.

The demographics shift.  Groups that everyone in the 1950s had expected would die off are suddenly reproducing at breakneck speed, which growth in the more liberal groups drops below replacement levels.  You end up with a growing religious divide, liberal religious institutions that are growing geriatric, and more conservative religious institutions that are bursting at the seams with young children.

While some very conservative religious groups are growing quickly, it's unclear if such growth is sustainable. The males in many ultra Orthodox communities are discouraged from working so they can study Torah and Talmud fulltime. While some ultra Orthodox women are the sole breadwinners for their very large families by doing low level white collar jobs, many more are on welfare, and have no desire to change this situation. However, ultra Orthodox life is expensive, from buying kosher food to private school tuition, so what we have is an inverted pyramid scheme where an increasingly shrinking number of elderly people  (who actually had jobs at one point) are having to support an increasingly large number of non working younger people. Given how ill-prepared the young adult Duggars are for life, I don't know if the situation is any better for Christian fundamentalists. However, Christian quiverfull is far more anti-institutional than ultra Orthodox Judaism, so it's cheaper in that regard. 

1 hour ago, Mrsaztx said:

I didn't click the link to the video, but I recognize it as being from the movie  Idiocracy-- a farce with a lot of quotable lines.  

9 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

While some very conservative religious groups are growing quickly, it's unclear if such growth is sustainable. The males in many ultra Orthodox communities are discouraged from working so they can study Torah and Talmud fulltime. While some ultra Orthodox women are the sole breadwinners for their very large families by doing low level white collar jobs, many more are on welfare, and have no desire to change this situation. However, ultra Orthodox life is expensive, from buying kosher food to private school tuition, so what we have is an inverted pyramid scheme where an increasingly shrinking number of elderly people  (who actually had jobs at one point) are having to support an increasingly large number of non working younger people. Given how ill-prepared the young adult Duggars are for life, I don't know if the situation is any better for Christian fundamentalists. However, Christian quiverfull is far more anti-institutional than ultra Orthodox Judaism, so it's cheaper in that regard. 

I hope that a generation or two on the pendulum will swing back the other direction (just a bit though, extremes on all sides are unsettling), if for no other reason than they are shunning the advances that allowed their family to grow that were mentioned above (vaccines, universal schooling, career opportunities, hospital births) and eventually they'll trot themselves right back into the dark ages

Archived