IGNORED

Fast with Steve for 10 days!

Letgo

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously Steve has not had brussels sprouts in browned butter with sage.  Or broiled carrots with brown sugar.   Mmmm. Craving.  

Am I sinning, now??

I am definitely sinning now.  I idolize Brussels sprouts, really.

How can someone fast that much?!? He's a nutjob! I think i fear everyday for this family... Something bad is gonna happen someday.

You're right- that tag is a goldmine. A horrifying, horrifying goldmine. This article in particular: http://articles.titus2.com/its-a-war/

He is an obvious example of someone who is deathly afraid of being fat. Not only does he bring up all of the fat people in the Dr's office again (Steve- did you ever begin to think that some people's fatness is caused by health issues and/or disabilities?), he goes on at length about the issue of partaking in pleasurable things

There you have it, folks. Taking pleasure of something is being covetous!!!! Holy smokes. You cannot do anything that is pleasurable because that means you are coveting it! I'm surprised he hasn't tried to introduce self-flagellation just yet. He'd probably like that, the masochistic kinkster he is. 

Also, I covet brussels sprouts and carrots. Roasted brussels sprouts are divine

From the same article (emphasis mine) "when we lack self-control and are covetous of things, whether it is sleep, food, sweets, soda, pleasure, entertainment, or whatever else it might be, we will likely foster similar appetites in our children. "

I think this points to the sleep deprivation argument. Steve makes his family get up in the middle of the night to mess with their circadian rhythms and keep them low-level sleep deprived at all times.

As someone who suffers from insomnia, their are moments when I covet sleep with all my being!

I crave broccoli and salad sometimes. Aside from that, there's a biological reason we crave food that is high calorie. It's because we evolved to prefer the foods that will give us the most calories from the least amount of effort.

Our ancestors didn't always have time to sit there and eat a bunch of greens. They often had to eat and run, literally. And so we humans crave calorie dense foods. It's biology.

But no, evilution is evil, so craving sweets/carbs/whatever must be of the devil.

A while back, I started reading through the really early 'Corners' articles.  They go back before Mary was born.  If I remember right, Steve admits to having a problem with both over eating and anger.  He now controls both very carefully.  It seems that all of these restrictions he puts on his family, stem from what he considers his weaknesses.

I think this points to the sleep deprivation argument. Steve makes his family get up in the middle of the night to mess with their circadian rhythms and keep them low-level sleep deprived at all times.

As someone who suffers from insomnia, their are moments when I covet sleep with all my being!

I think you're right. I can see Steve rationalizing that enjoying too much sleep is a sin, and being covetous of sleep. He also views sickness as a result of poor self-control, so I really worry that if someone in the household becomes sick that they'll be urged to fast and pray for redemption. 

I also think its really weird how there is a strict gender divide in the fast. Because Teri is fasting for only one day, they only allow women to fast for that same day. Women are more than capable of fasting that one day...Methinks that Steve doesn't want to consider that a WOMAN (the weaker vessel, yaknow) could be capable as fasting just as much or even more than him. 

All this talk of brussels sprouts is making me hungry. I may celebrate the anti-fast with a big plate of sprouts. I think Steve would be very conflicted over that!

A while back, I started reading through the really early 'Corners' articles.  They go back before Mary was born.  If I remember right, Steve admits to having a problem with both over eating and anger.  He now controls both very carefully.  It seems that all of these restrictions he puts on his family, stem from what he considers his weaknesses.

Steve must be very tightly wound. It must take a great deal of effort to be in control of so much and so many. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near him during his ten days of fasting.

How many people do you all think will do this fasting with the Maxwells? Especially, how many men will go all ten days with Steve? Will Steve make it all the way? Not sure they would mention it on the blog if he doesn't, though. I can imagine the blog telling readers how wonderful the fast was, how close the Lord Steve was, the wonderful prayer time, the crying out to the Lord that occurred, etc. I keep seeing Steve in a hospital bed, tied down, with IVs in his arms because he refuses to eat. A ten day fast would really worry me if it were my husband.

I plan to go grocery shopping tomorrow, and am willing to pick up half a dozen donuts for the anti-fast.

Mmmm, donuts...

I need to recover from my Halloween candy hangover before I can consider the anti-fast.  But I'll do my best!

All this talk of brussels sprouts is making me hungry. I may celebrate the anti-fast with a big plate of sprouts. I think Steve would be very conflicted over that!

Free Jinger will be a warzone with all these sprout cravings! Gasmask on!

I wonder if the Max women will "choose" to fast from chewing, and live on smoothies, or something smilar, to appease Steve?

No doubt they will have to fast from fun and chatter to avoid his wrath when he gets really angry about his hunger.

Fast?  No thanks.  But I did just have a Christmas tree Little Debbie cake, so that kind of made my afternoon happy.

The Christmas Tree Little Debbie's are out?????  I must go to the grocery store immediately.  <----- not on topic at all but necessary.

In honor of Steve's fast, I am going to stop at Krispy Kreme on the way to Wilmington.  

Steve must be very tightly wound. It must take a great deal of effort to be in control of so much and so many. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near him during his ten days of fasting.

How many people do you all think will do this fasting with the Maxwells? Especially, how many men will go all ten days with Steve? Will Steve make it all the way? Not sure they would mention it on the blog if he doesn't, though. I can imagine the blog telling readers how wonderful the fast was, how close the Lord Steve was, the wonderful prayer time, the crying out to the Lord that occurred, etc. I keep seeing Steve in a hospital bed, tied down, with IVs in his arms because he refuses to eat. A ten day fast would really worry me if it were my husband.

to the first bolded I think that's the understatement of the year!  I'm tightly wound and compared to Steve I'm Courteny Love.  I don't think the magnitude of Steve's torque could possibly be measurable.  :) 

ITA with the second bolded.  Mostly because for my headship to give up food for ten days of his own volition would be proof positive of supernatural possession.  But seriously if this were someone I loved proposing this I'd insist they see a doctor first talk them out of it...er, I mean advise them of the risks.

But I'm not married to Steve.  Maybe after the increased crankiness of the first few days passes the subdued quiet would be worth it.  After all, a good wife would reverence him far too much to get in the way of his behavior no matter how risky.  I mean God gave him the penis and hence an expert on everything so I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Honestly, that might not even be the worst thing that could happen. It might lead to doctors reading him the riot act, and maybe his family would also see that Stevehova isn't the infallible leader he always makes himself out to be.

Steve being sent away to the hospital might be the best thing to happen to his family! They would probably be shocked and saddened at first, but if he is deemed a threat and is put into care for 90 days, that might give them just enough time to break free.

I've fasted in the past.  What I've found, for me, is that fasting triggers an undesired response from the part of me that has issues with compulsive eating.  Thanks to a savvy pastor I learned the art of what I think of as 'alternative fasting' where instead of giving up food you give up other things (tv, the internet, social media etc).  (on this note, if food fasting triggers compulsive eating, will anti-fasting trigger weight loss - KIDDING)

10 days of water only?  Steve is out of his ever living mind (but we knew that already).  

10 days of water only?  Steve is out of his ever living mind (but we knew that already).  

I honestly don't think he can do it. He's not even going to have a smoothie once a day or some broth? I can't imagine how weak he will be after only a few days.

I've been reading about a woman in Washington state who ran a "health clinic" at the turn of the century in which she recommended fasting to cure ailments. Well, she was a nut bag who was really just killing people. But it's shocking at how quickly people starved to death eating a piece or two of fruit a day and some broth. One guy was dead a month after checking in. After a few weeks many patients were delirious and too weak to even walk around. 

I wonder if the side effects get really bad, will Steve come to his senses and stop fasting, or will he pull through till the bitter end?

Google tells me a 10 day fast is arduous but do-able for someone in normal health.

It's not as if he has to go out to work or do very much at all. And I'm sure it is possible that the Lord may lead him to have a sneaky sandwich if the need arises. We know he is basically dishonest from the way he manipulates blog posts and comments.

I think the biggest danger is what he will hear from the Lord during his prayer time.  I wouldn't want to swap places with the chidults next week!

I honestly don't think he can do it. He's not even going to have a smoothie once a day or some broth? I can't imagine how weak he will be after only a few days.

I've been reading about a woman in Washington state who ran a "health clinic" at the turn of the century in which she recommended fasting to cure ailments. Well, she was a nut bag who was really just killing people. But it's shocking at how quickly people starved to death eating a piece or two of fruit a day and some broth. One guy was dead a month after checking in. After a few weeks many patients were delirious and too weak to even walk around. 

Are you reading about Linda Hazzard? I don't want to call her a doctor although she claimed to be one.

Off topic...

Teri's posted some guff about scheduling. The post is accompanied by a photo of Ruthie taken by Christopher. Ruthie looks adorable, and it's actually a pretty good photo considering who took it. Other than that, it's a random post... likely just a plug for MOTH. There've been quite a few MOTH plug posts recently... are sales down perhaps? 

I don't think he can do it. Just my personal opinion. Even with severe anorexia (I'm weight restored now), we eat small amounts. I know fasting isn't the same as an eating disorder, it's just my frame of reference, I guess. 

I read a book called Starvation Heights by Gregg Olsen -- it's the history of a fasting treatment sanatorium not far from Seattle.  Fascinating, but frightening that these sorts of mindsets existed (and still persist, apparently).  For those of you who may know of Ivar's Seafood restaurants in the Seattle area, Ivar Haglund's mother was "treated" by Linda Hazzard and subsequently died in 1908.  I hope nothing so drastic happens during Steve's fast...

Archived